• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
This feels like a dick move. Essentially rubbing it in to your opposition.

I do find it funny when the opposition goes 'EZ!', after winning by like one goal. Some people really need that self-esteem boost.

It's weird because it doesn't really happen when my team gets walloped.

Oh yea, I feel like I should mention I went on another losing streak of close to 100 points. Only to recoup 50 back quickly. I have no idea if the new ranking system will help matchmaking, but we'll see. If it's reliant on skill points, does this mean people will goal steal all the time now? (Not that I care about stealing goals, more that people will unscore)

Soulflarz

Banned
This feels like a dick move. Essentially rubbing it in to your opposition.

I only do it to patronize back, I generally am not typing to my opponents in boredom or anything, not worth giving them attention considering how half of them are.

I do find it funny when the opposition goes 'EZ!', after winning by like one goal. Some people really need that self-esteem boost.

It's weird because it doesn't really happen when my team gets walloped.

Oh yea, I feel like I should mention I went on another losing streak of close to 100 points. Only to recoup 50 back quickly. I have no idea if the new ranking system will help matchmaking, but we'll see. If it's reliant on skill points, does this mean people will goal steal all the time now? (Not that I care about stealing goals, more that people will unscore)

Hilariously, trueskill is still w/l
It's just uh
a loss against a great team isn't really going to do anything to your number. It's a system designed so people aren't spazzing over every single win and loss.

Hilariously, trueskill is still w/l
It's just uh
a loss against a great team isn't really going to do anything to your number. It's a system designed so people aren't spazzing over every single win and loss.

They just need to fix things so your rank automatically matches your MMR.

If your MMR is high enough where you face golds every stinking match your rank should be somewhere in the golds -- not in bronze or silver killing yourself to play better than .500 for God knows how long just to get your rank to finally match up with your MMR.

The current trending / catch up points system simply doesn't work and unnecessarily complicates things. Rank should equal MMR. Simple.

Soulflarz

Banned
They just need to fix things so your rank automatically matches your MMR.

If your MMR is high enough where you face golds every stinking match your rank should be somewhere in the golds -- not in bronze or silver killing yourself to play better than .500 for God knows how long just to get your rank to finally match up with your MMR.

The current trending / catch up points system simply doesn't work and unnecessarily complicates things. Rank should equal MMR. Simple.

Well have I got a surprise for you!

Thats what season 2 is doing :p

Ran rp

I went from nothing to Silver II in like a day (~13 points a game) but I'm just now entering Silver III. The points wall is real...

Not sure if I should go for gold or not.

I do this too just for fun, sometimes the vote goes trough though

But it's not for fun when they stop playing too :|

edit: prob 2-3 days. not one sitting. it was pretty quick.

VLiberty

We're 2:0 and I'm playing (quite decently) goalie. After 2 minutes, one of my opponents starts bouncing and destroying me off the goal. We end up losing 2-3 with two of thiese goals caused by him bouncing me off.

The worst part was that he kept mocking me ever since he started to do so, and once the match ended one of my teammates (probably just as retarded as the opponent, since it was clear what was actually happening even if you only wtched the replays) started mocking me as well and agreed with the asshole

Yesterday was happening something similar. Playing goalie, 3vs3 but one of the teammates randomly dropped on the 1:1. I scored a long shot, 2:1, 50 seconds left: one of the opponents starts bouncing me off, but this time I managed not to concede and my teammate did even score the 3:1. Amazing.

Ruruja

We're 2:0 and I'm playing (quite decently) goalie. After 2 minutes, one of my opponents starts bouncing and destroying me off the goal. We end up losing 2-3 with two of thiese goals caused by him bouncing me off.

The worst part was that he kept mocking me ever since he started to do so, and once the match ended one of my teammates (probably just as retarded as the opponent, since it was clear what was actually happening even if you only wtched the replays) started mocking me as well and agreed with the asshole

Yesterday was happening something similar. Playing goalie, 3vs3 but one of the teammates randomly dropped on the 1:1. I scored a long shot, 2:1, 50 seconds left: one of the opponents starts bouncing me off, but this time I managed not to concede and my teammate did even score the 3:1. Amazing.

I don't see anything wrong with it, it's a valid tactic. Solutions are dodging them or having your 2 teammates play better against the 2 remaining opponents.

It's not something I'd spend my entire match doing though, but if you're playing as a permanent keeper they're well within their right to hoof you out the net.

Not saying I agree with the mocking by the way, but hey what can you do? Some people are like that.

VLiberty

As I said, the worst part was him and my teammate mocking me and saying "good goalie lol". If you're doing this, either you're too shitty to actually score/assist on your own, or I'm actually way too good at goalkeeping. So keep your dignity and at least shut up. Same goes for the teammate - try to play better instead of mocking me for no reason.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I don't see anything wrong with it, it's a valid tactic. Solutions are dodging them or having your 2 teammates play better against the 2 remaining opponents.

It's not something I'd spend my entire match doing though, but if you're playing as a permanent keeper they're well within their right to hoof you out the net.

Not saying I agree with the mocking by the way, but hey what can you do? Some people are like that.
I agree.

Also. I think "playing goalie" is a bad idea in general. Rotation is the way to go.

Nyx

Lost 100 rank points this weekend.
Still had a blast.

Really can't understand why anyone would get pissed off in this game, every error just brings a smile to my face. And when people start bitching on me in chat, it even gets more funny.
But maybe I'm a masochist.

Soulflarz

Banned
Lost 100 rank points this weekend.
Still had a blast.

Really can't understand why anyone would get pissed off in this game, every error just brings a smile to my face. And when people start bitching on me in chat, it even gets more funny.
But maybe I'm a masochist.

Because some people really care about their rank. I mean I didn't at all until I heard about the gold crowns, then I dragged myself with randoms all the way to gold with just about no pain on PC, then did it with a friend on PS4.

As such, I don't care about ranks :3

Dispatch

Because some people really care about their rank. I mean I didn't at all until I heard about the gold crowns, then I dragged myself with randoms all the way to gold with just about no pain on PC, then did it with a friend on PS4.

I didn't care about rankings nearly as much until they announced the crowns, then I've tried to get to Silver in Doubles and stay there.

It's been an impossible dream.

Soulflarz

Banned
I didn't care about rankings nearly as much until they announced the crowns, then I've tried to get to Silver in Doubles and stay there.

It's been an impossible dream.

Well to be fair, different skill levels.
At least you're not everyone at 550 who swears they deserve they're good enough for gold because they got this far, then gets really mad at the game when they can't get it.

Anyways, whens season 2 :x

Pepiope

You'd hate me.
Just yesterday a guy was pissed off at me because I destroyed him a few times. A timely demo is a great tactic in this game that seems to piss players off. I enjoy it cause they'll attempt to retaliate, but it's easy to avoid them if you know what you're doing.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
You'd hate me.
Just yesterday a guy was pissed off at me because I destroyed him a few times. A timely demo is a great tactic in this game that seems to piss players off. I enjoy it cause they'll attempt to retaliate, but it's easy to avoid them if you know what you're doing.
I someone manages to do that to me it doesn't piss me off. It makes me smile. I applaud it. Well played as far as I'm concerned. If someone purposefully demolishes me in a way that leads to a goal I'll generally type well played in to chat.

I agree.

Also. I think "playing goalie" is a bad idea in general. Rotation is the way to go.

Agree but the problem is when your teammates don't rotate fully. I'd like to rotate out and help clear the ball but often my teammates -- even if they are decent -- never cycle back around to goal after they are out of the play. They just keep cycling in the corner in a mini rotation which means I need to stay in the net and keep making saves waiting for the other two to finally clear it. In this case you are forced to play goalie and this is when people can ram you.

That being said, ramming is a valid tactic and I'm actually surprised more people don't do it. It is definitely frustrating when it happens as you are distracted and worried about dodging them AND defending the net. The reason why they don't do it very often I think is you need to be part of a team and trust your teammates enough to focus solely on the goalie + most people just want to chase / hit the ball and don't want to do anything else.

I like how Gibbs does it: make it part of your rotation -- after you center go for the goal and try to take out the goalie as part of rotation and if they aren't there take the full corner boost.

I really don't care about rank. Or winning so much. It's more getting flabbergasted about how awful / clueless some people are, especially those that have logged enough hours to get up to expert and master levels. But I've learned to care less about this as well. It's kind of a necessity for all 3 to continue to enjoy the game if you won't be playing with a set team all the time. It's still crazy fun 90% of the time.

Pepiope

I someone manages to do that to me it doesn't piss me off. It makes me smile. I applaud it. Well played as far as I'm concerned. If someone purposefully demolishes me in a way that leads to a goal I'll generally type well played in to chat.
Same here. I'd had guys get pissed at me though, and it'd be hilarious as they'd follow me around the rest of the game leaving the goal open so we can score even more.

Soulflarz

Banned
I really don't care about rank. Or winning so much. It's more getting flabbergasted about how awful / clueless some people are, especially those that have logged enough hours to get up to expert and master levels. But I've learned to care less about this as well. It's kind of a necessity for all 3 to continue to enjoy the game if you won't be playing with a set team all the time. It's still crazy fun 90% of the time.

Tbf if you're playing casually you can be complete trash with 100hr on the game with friends. It isn't that rare.

As I said, the worst part was him and my teammate mocking me and saying "good goalie lol". If you're doing this, either you're too shitty to actually score/assist on your own, or I'm actually way too good at goalkeeping. So keep your dignity and at least shut up. Same goes for the teammate - try to play better instead of mocking me for no reason.
Agreed that people shouldn't be mocking others. The only exception might be if they're friends in a party. Even then, it's annoying and can contribute to a toxic atmosphere.

However, others here are correct in saying that ramming and demo'ing is a valid tactic. It's a particularly good one if you don't have to go out of your way to do this. As fiction mentioned, Gibbs does a great job of showing and explaining how he does it in his videos. And he is the pro player probably most well-known for his defensive and goalie skills.

From my experience, having a "full-time" or "permanent" goalie can work at the lower levels, but becomes a liability when playing against higher-skilled players. For people that like to hang back to protect the goal, just come up to midfield when the ball is in the offensive corner. It will help you hit balls back into the offensive zone, and will signal to your teammates that you want to be involved in the offense.

Speaking of which, another of Gibbs' tips is to go ahead and be assertive in the beginning stages of the match. This will show your teammates how you want to play. Make them adapt to you as much as you adapt to them. If you turtle back in your goal, they're just going to assume you want to stay there all game. Then they'll be frustrated when you let in a goal. Instead, be assertive early on and show them you want to rotate and they need to help protect the goal as well.

No, I'll continue mocking you. Thanks.

;D

Ran rp

Well to be fair, different skill levels.
At least you're not everyone at 550 who swears they deserve they're good enough for gold because they got this far, then gets really mad at the game when they can't get it.

Anyways, whens season 2 :x

to be fair you could very well be at a gold skill level but stuck on silver because you play with randoms and get paired with poor teammates who can't defend or just chase the ball around. or the occasional trolls and dropouts.

Soulflarz

Banned
PSY・S;194632070 said:
to be fair you could very well be at a gold skill level but stuck on silver because you play with randoms and get paired with poor teammates who can't defend or just chase the ball around. or the occasional trolls and dropouts.

Generally not though, this is very rare.

I've done it with randoms and a half carry :V

(If you can do gold, do randoms an hour till you get someone as good as you, join up with him, free gold)

My favorite is the ones who try but I hear them coming, jump, they fall on their roof, I clear and now they're down TWO on the breakaway. Then I'm the one mocking! "GOON BETTER!"

Agree but the problem is when your teammates don't rotate fully. I'd like to rotate out and help clear the ball but often my teammates -- even if they are decent -- never cycle back around to goal after they are out of the play. They just keep cycling in the corner in a mini rotation which means I need to stay in the net and keep making saves waiting for the other two to finally clear it. In this case you are forced to play goalie and this is when people can ram you.

That being said, ramming is a valid tactic and I'm actually surprised more people don't do it. It is definitely frustrating when it happens as you are distracted and worried about dodging them AND defending the net. The reason why they don't do it very often I think is you need to be part of a team and trust your teammates enough to focus solely on the goalie + most people just want to chase / hit the ball and don't want to do anything else.

I like how Gibbs does it: make it part of your rotation -- after you center go for the goal and try to take out the goalie as part of rotation and if they aren't there take the full corner boost.

Ive found that if I goalie (lookie there, I'm a Savior again...and we lose 4-2), they can't find their ass with both hands and a road map reguarding clearing and the opponents offense can basically operate at will (hence 4-2).

Ran rp

Generally not though, this is very rare.

I've done it with randoms and a half carry :V

(If you can do gold, do randoms an hour till you get someone as good as you, join up with him, free gold)

Yeah, when I'm partnered with good teammates ranking up is a breeze, but I always play randoms because I usually only play a few games on breaks and never cared about my rank until the crowns were announced. I like the way the silver crown looks though so I'm not to bothered about getting the gold one.

moojito

I wish you could turn rank information off, but still play in ranked, so it just put you where you're meant to be, without seeing the score go down, down, down after every game. Pushing towards negative numbers here, but the actual games are pretty close and for the most part fun.

Soulflarz

Banned
I wish you could turn rank information off, but still play in ranked, so it just put you where you're meant to be, without seeing the score go down, down, down after every game. Pushing towards negative numbers here, but the actual games are pretty close and for the most part fun.

Wait for season 2 :V

FaceTurn

Gibbs does a great job of showing and explaining how he does it in his videos. And he is the pro player probably most well-known for his defensive and goalie skills.

Can you explain to me how he became well known for his defensive skills? I only play casually but I thought at the high levels, every player can do everything.

Nyx

Hehe well even if you care about your rank, the crazy stuff going on in this game should still make you smile. :)

Last night I made a screamer, thought ''fuck yeah!'' then noticed that somebody else got the credits for the goal while I was damn sure it was me who scored.

Turned out I scored in my own goal lol. If this would have happened in something like FIFA I would be annoyed but I couldn't stop laughing, it was so silly....

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Hehe well even if you care about your rank, the crazy stuff going on in this game should still make you smile. :)

Last night I made a screamer, thought ''fuck yeah!'' then noticed that somebody else got the credits for the goal while I was damn sure it was me who scored.

Turned out I scored in my own goal lol. If this would have happened in something like FIFA I would be annoyed but I couldn't stop laughing, it was so silly....
I did that once when I was AFK for a bit. I got back, took control of the ball and shot the ball in to my own net. Oh.

Pepiope

Can you explain to me how he became well known for his defensive skills? I only play casually but I thought at the high levels, every player can do everything.
Don't know who he's referring too, but the answer is more than likely Consistency. I can hit most shots in this game. Consistently? Naaaaaa.

I'm also beginning to love 3s. It's much harder to score and it takes good teamwork to win. Team GAF needs to go on a run soon!

Nyx

I did that once when I was AFK for a bit. I got back, took control of the ball and shot the ball in to my own net. Oh.

Haha yeah I think my mind was ''AFK'' for just a moment and next thing I saw was an empty goal and the ball coming to me, I had to blast it in but forgot I was the other color in the meantime.

Gibbs plays on one of the best / most popular teams and his teammates are more offensive minded, so his reputation is great defense kind of by default. But if you watch his videos you will see that positionally speaking he is lights out. He is pretty much always in the right place, which is sort of the bedrock of a great defense. If you are in position you can stop pretty much everything outside of last second redirects.

I think what all elite players possess is insane car control and then "great at" offense / defense becomes a matter of what they prefer to focus on individually and in the context of their teams.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I am terrible at arialing or whatever it is called. Awful. Is there any way to improve? Maybe tutorial videos, changing settings etc. I play on PS4.

Ruruja

I am terrible at arialing or whatever it is called. Awful. Is there any way to improve? Maybe tutorial videos, changing settings etc. I play on PS4.

Make sure you have ball cam on and keep doing the Aerial training on All-Star difficulty, or even just mess about and get used to it in Free Play training. Remember you don't have to hold boost all the time, you can do little bursts of it whilst in the air to have more control over your positioning/height.

Another trick that helped me hit more aerials was increasing your hit area by using your 2nd jump to flip into the ball, it gives you a lot more power when you connect well and you can hit ones that are to the left/right of your car a lot more consistently - but remember you only get to do the jump within the first ~2 seconds of your aerial.

I also had a noticeable improvement when I tweaked the camera settings, I think I put the height and FOV up a little - previously I used to fly under/over the ball quite a bit, but I never do with my new camera settings.

rafaelr

mostly from the RL subreddit, should get you started:

In-depth Basic Aerial Guide [w/GIF illustrations]
Backwards and Freestyle Aerial Guide [w/GIF illustrations]
Low5ive´s Aerial guide
TeamRocket Aerial guide
RL Academy Aerial guide
Amoney_tv´s training guide

one more,
TeamRocket Striking Tutorial (worth it for the intro alone)

Kaz42

Is psn's grief report system supposed to be used for people who harass/bully you in games or is it for people who are directly messaging you? I submitted one for some guy acting a fool in a 3v3 match but I don't know if Sony will care because he wasn't directly messaging me.

Elitist1945

Playing this on PC with a Steam controller and Xbox One controller and trying to do local co-op but I can't get the Xbox controller to register and my friend cant join in.

Is psn's grief report system supposed to be used for people who harass/bully you in games or is it for people who are directly messaging you? I submitted one for some guy acting a fool in a 3v3 match but I don't know if Sony will care because he wasn't directly messaging me.

Youll get in trouble if you send one without real proof, supposedly.

When someone messages you something nasty on PSN, report the message itself

Psyonix is adding an in-game report system soon anyway, so just wait for that

Kaz42

Youll get in trouble if you send one without real proof, supposedly.

When someone messages you something nasty on PSN, report the message itself

Psyonix is adding an in-game report system soon anyway, so just wait for that

Well that's lame. So people can harass others in online games that don't have a grief report system and not face any consequences? That sucks and can add to the toxicity of a gaming community. I hope it decrease with rocket league at least.

Soulflarz

Banned
Can we get the blood red team color back like from the trailer?

Season 2 please add preferred team colors and you can pick similar colors from a spectrum or something

Soulflarz

Banned
Double post and all but

u-uhm

Seriously, anyone able to come to a consensus on a good control scheme for wall aerial? I've done lb as air roll, people straight up tell me it's bad, then I switch to boost on rb like they say and put air roll on X, then they say it again the other way
:x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom