• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Bravo

playing with people on my campus sucks

idk, feels like a waste of time

or rather, it reminds me of playing in the 300s- we can win at times because they can hit easy setups, but really, it's helping bad habits form on both sides, and I really don't like it.

i think thats why i played like garbage with pep tonight....because usually in doubles my teammate is less skilled than I am...not talking shit thats just how it is. having a better teammate makes the opponents way better too. although you'd think i'd get used to the speed of pros pretty quickly.

Soulflarz

Banned
At times I think it's worthwhile to question to yourself whether you want RL to be a fun game or a serious game.

I want it to be fun. Serious can be fun! The issue is moreso when people who aren't even at the level of silver --like when they just learned to aerial, but it never goes in, and even rarely goes fast (and still casually miss) ask you to do ranked with them so they can "catch up quickly by playing at a higher level", it's moreso annoying than fun. You can learn better rotations and such, sure, but when you aren't even at a certain level then you simply aren't going to learn anything and are just going to hit in the decent players easy centers all day.

i think thats why i played like garbage with pep tonight....because usually in doubles my teammate is less skilled than I am...not talking shit thats just how it is. having a better teammate makes the opponents way better too. although you'd think i'd get used to the speed of pros pretty quickly.

Also an issue I have with flunkie and pep. I remember flunkie constantly asking me "why weren't you center?" and I realize it's because in doubles I'm so used to having to cover for my teammate and assuming he wont center it that I tend to stay to one side to get the rebound and recenter for them.

TL;DR playing at too low of a level builds bad habits that let you easily win at those levels but aren't useful in the long run.

Soulflarz

Banned
Nice, thanks. I'm going to start watching a lot of these and spend a lot more time in the lab so I can get better at some of this stuff.

FWIW

It helps uhm....
labbing can help you do wall touches in general, like centering. I can do them decently now, and I'm sure flunkie would love to confirm how I never did them and it made it where he had to be the primary guy to center for us just half a week ago :p

But yeah, er....
Good luck with these silly shots
"easy" is a joke, because these require precision in aerials that you'd just about never learn from standard play.

edit: One thing I hate about this game-- the time commitment to learn specific things
I dunno :/
Kind of disheartening that learning specific things have such such good results, but they're situational and extremely hard to do, and simply...some people never bother with those and are still top 100 (making it very arguable as to if they're worth your time vs perfecting specific fundamentals).
I don't mind it, I just don't want such a timesink to be good at doing certain things ;~;
Also, re: the game teaching you bad habits early on- the way you boost for very high level dribbling and aerials is completely different from the way you boost up till gold- you feather when you're learning, but at say, rank 600, feathering was largely pointless, since you could safely take the shot anyways by getting into position with no advanced techniques needed. And no, I don't mean flying backwards and doing a forward roll, I don't find those aerials impossible, I moreso meant consistency on say the view I linked 2 posts up.

Sucks that I love playing a variety of games (if I kept up my winter break speed, I would've been near ~35 games beaten this year, instead only on 15, blame RL and JRPGs) and that as a result I'll be able to beat your average person, but never your competent players who have 300+ hours :<
aka, screw the fact we all have limited time :V

Wow I stayed up way too late last night playing Rocket League and was really impressed with the level of play. Is this where all the decent players are hiding? They only come out after midnight?

Sidenote: I frickin love my hula girl antenna.

I have to say, last 5 or so games I played this morning all ended up being pretty tight with comparable teammates and opponents. If it stays like this, great.

Got put in Challenger 2 for both 3v3s (well, challenger 1 in one of them that quickly went to 2). Looking at the ranks, I know I've faced Ch 3 and elite and a rising star, but mostly it has been other unranked. I haven't seen a prospect though.

I haven't tried Rocket Labs yet, sometime later I will.

FWIW

It helps uhm....
labbing can help you do wall touches in general, like centering. I can do them decently now, and I'm sure flunkie would love to confirm how I never did them and it made it where he had to be the primary guy to center for us just half a week ago :p

But yeah, er....
Good luck with these silly shots
"easy" is a joke, because these require precision in aerials that you'd just about never learn from standard play.

edit: One thing I hate about this game-- the time commitment to learn specific things
I dunno :/
Kind of disheartening that learning specific things have such such good results, but they're situational and extremely hard to do, and simply...some people never bother with those and are still top 100 (making it very arguable as to if they're worth your time vs perfecting specific fundamentals).
I don't mind it, I just don't want such a timesink to be good at doing certain things ;~;
Also, re: the game teaching you bad habits early on- the way you boost for very high level dribbling and aerials is completely different from the way you boost up till gold- you feather when you're learning, but at say, rank 600, feathering was largely pointless, since you could safely take the shot anyways by getting into position with no advanced techniques needed. And no, I don't mean flying backwards and doing a forward roll, I don't find those aerials impossible, I moreso meant consistency on say the view I linked 2 posts up.

Sucks that I love playing a variety of games (if I kept up my winter break speed, I would've been near ~35 games beaten this year, instead only on 15, blame RL and JRPGs) and that as a result I'll be able to beat your average person, but never your competent players who have 300+ hours :<
aka, screw the fact we all have limited time :V

It's about building tools for every situation, also applying skills that I learned from one specific situation to other situations. Feels like a fighting game in that sense for me. Usually when I want to spice things up, I start trying to learn more advanced tech, and while it's always hard and somewhat of a chore in that transition period, it pays off sooo much in the end when it becomes second nature.

Also when I said i'm going to start watching a lot of these, I don't just mean the fancy aerial tutorials.

Lol, every time I'm unfortunate enough to get Wasteland in ranked. "Fuck this map"

They upped the frequency it shows up big time. Used to be once every 12-14 games in unranked now it feels like every 4 or 5 games in both ranked and unranked. Not that I'm complaining as I love the map.

So which map do you guys love?

Seems underpass is being groomed for competitive while Utopia is more of a casual map

Double Goal doesnt seem too impressive

I feel like they can really breathe life into the competitive game by making shared boost a separate mode

Seems underpass is being groomed for competitive while Utopia is more of a casual map

I feel like they can really breathe life into the competitive game by making shared boost a separate mode

only aerial freaks think underpass is the best

Dr Prob

Banned
Since the update it seems like I tend to get matched up with the same people in ranked more often than before, proving that familiarity can indeed breed contempt! Was just stuck with a teammate four games in a row who wouldn't leave our goal yet couldn't stop anything either - essentially 2v3 for the duration. While there's always going to be an element of randomness in solo 3s - it's a team game - I could do without this shit.

Yes, I probably should have chilled for a few minutes and waited for him to hopefully be placed in another group before matchmaking again but I just didn't think it could keep happening. Guess you never think stuff like that can happen to you, but it does.

Stay safe out on those fields.

Unicorn

Retro Donutopia is best map.

AcridMeat

Banned
Finally finished my solo 3's, was placed in superstar. I was hoping for champion but such is life.
Wasteland doesn't run like shit now and it's actually good
I'm glad they fixed it, I don't like seeing it in ranked though.
At times I think it's worthwhile to question to yourself whether you want RL to be a fun game or a serious game.
I still love fun. I was at a game night Thursday and they had a projector with rocket league set up. Played 4v4 against all star bots with some buddies who aren't experienced with the game. Sub in conversation/banter and drinks, and we had a blast getting crushed.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Ok now I'm pissed off. Got demoted to challenger elite in doubles. So the streak of wins yesterday did nothing but the losses today makes a difference? Fuck this.

I'd be fine if I could actually see what's happening with my rank in real time. Now I'm just stressed because of this. I hate it.

Is there honestly a single ranking system in any game that people are content with? As long as these guys keep improving on it or trying to.

I can understand removing the visual progress bar because it makes that one game you win or lose a very stressful one and when you are down a few games and keep losing it makes the mountain seem impossible to climb.

Soulflarz

Banned
Is there honestly a single ranking system in any game that people are content with? As long as these guys keep improving on it or trying to.

I can understand removing the visual progress bar because it makes that one game you win or lose a very stressful one and when you are down a few games and keep losing it makes the mountain seem impossible to climb.

No, unless you straight up show their sigma and mu, which would be silly, since that would confuse the hell out of your average player who sees them.

Ok now I'm pissed off. Got demoted to challenger elite in doubles. So the streak of wins yesterday did nothing but the losses today makes a difference? Fuck this.

I'd be fine if I could actually see what's happening with my rank in real time. Now I'm just stressed because of this. I hate it.

This means you won matches you were greatly expected to win and lost matches that were fair or you were expected to win, but somehow lost.
That, or you're fudging how true this 'streak' was, especially since by the definition of trueskill, a streak should drag you way up.

Since the update it seems like I tend to get matched up with the same people in ranked more often than before, proving that familiarity can indeed breed contempt! Was just stuck with a teammate four games in a row who wouldn't leave our goal yet couldn't stop anything either - essentially 2v3 for the duration. While there's always going to be an element of randomness in solo 3s - it's a team game - I could do without this shit.

Yes, I probably should have chilled for a few minutes and waited for him to hopefully be placed in another group before matchmaking again but I just didn't think it could keep happening. Guess you never think stuff like that can happen to you, but it does.

Stay safe out on those fields.

The first game I had in Season 2, I didn't gel with my teammates. Second match I get the same exact teammates. Surely that just screws up rank placement. Another thing, I assume it's a bug, but for some reason I see everybody as being in a party, with the green man party symbol. Even in solo standard. It used to be next to my name, but now I'm like the only one without the symbol. Initially, it felt like we were being forced into a party or something.

So now I tend to actively quit to the main menu and search games from there.

Ranking-wise, I don't really care. I care more for the matchmaking. There were times last season where I'd lose games featuring really silly mistakes, then get placed against totally lower people and smash them. Neither situation is that fun. I'd be happy with the new season if I constantly got comparable teammates and opponents. Rarely feature stronger/weaker people to spice things up (outside of promotion/demotion).

Speaking of which, I wouldn't mind seeing everyone's rank at the beginning of a match. It's a better indicator of skill over levels and I can then plan out a strategy (like: crap, every opponent is star ranked, goalkeeper it is then).

Speaking of which, I wouldn't mind seeing everyone's rank at the beginning of a match. It's a better indicator of skill over levels and I can then plan out a strategy (like: crap, every opponent is star ranked, goalkeeper it is then).

That would be a disaster because most people would just rage knowing they've been matched up with lower level people and probably spout abuse all game.

I get frustrated in ranked. I am just not consistently good and have never been able to make it out of silver. I stick mostly to ones now so at the very least I only screw up my own game and not teammates. When I play with other people my nerves tend to make me play even worse and I usually end up muting everyone. =/

Soulflarz

Banned
Honestly, I think the issue stems from the fact that so many people would rather see a number go up to tell them they did good instead of actually getting very good. Simply put, if you outclass whatever division you're currently in, you'll be able to very quickly drag yourself up. Take 300s as an example- people got stuck there forever as they learned aerials and such and constantly missed. This led to frustration as their rank didn't move or even went down. However, once you learned aerials and other things that you hadn't needed earlier, you could rush up a few hundred until you had to play at a higher level.

What I'm trying to say is people need to stop worrying about their ranks so much, especially when they have no inherent benefits at the moment. I understand wanting gold pre s2 for the crown, but besides that, it isn't a huge deal at the moment. Learn better things instead of simply going for the win, remembering that we all lost a ton when we were learning aerials and constantly missing, giving up free goals. If you aren't spending time trying things outside of your previous strategies, you're not going to have any improvements other than a number going up- a number that is largely useless compared to actual skill.

My friend just texted me last night happy that he was only a rank behind me in 2s. He still ends up ~8-0 in a 1v1 against me and doesn't hold his own in doubles, and with that in mind, I dunno, I'm reminded that the number really doesn't mean much? Granted, most of you are much better than him, but the example still stands, as so many people on here or reddit are tending to get annoyed over the number.
Meanwhile, I wasted yesterday losing in 1s to learn wall aerials. RIP

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Well after reflection and calming down it seems pretty clear that I deserved the demotion with how shit I played today. It is weird that winning the majority of matches yesterday didn't balance it out, but nevertheless with how I played today there is no denying that I deserved a demotion. I mean goddamn I was terrible.

Soulflarz

Banned
Well after reflection and calming down it seems pretty clear that I deserved the demotion with how shit I played today. It is weird that winning the majority of matches yesterday didn't balance it out, but nevertheless with how I played today there is no denying that I deserved a demotion. I mean goddamn I was terrible.

:3 much better

On another note- laz, whenever we mess up in silly ways, this song needs to play.

No, really, I'm keeping this on an alt+tab :3

Pogonip

Neo Member
With season 2 I finally feel like my rank is about right now (Challenger II). Being stuck in Bronze 1 for almost all of season 1 in 3v3 and 3v3 solo really bugged me, since most people would say Bronze 1 skill was just everyone chasing after the ball and players who could barely jump let alone aerial, whereas I was playing dudes that were making clean aerial shots at the net every game. Made we wonder if I was really getting matched up with Bronze folk or just absolute crap at the game.

I also got to see the toxicity of the community directed at me today. One guy on my team was throwing out the slurs, stopping in the middle of the match to insult me just because I bumped into him at the start of the game and had an unlucky bounce go off me into our net. Honestly should've reported him in the end now that I think about it. But seriously, when the other team is even telling you to back off on the teammate trash talk I think you should probably turn of the game and go for a walk...

Just another lovely night in RL:
8werD1x.png

evRoxDq.png

I'm sure someone's dying to play devil's advocate but don't fucking bother. Like I've mentioned before, this is a pretty regular nightly occurrence. Hopefully the report system does actually do its job.

Dr Prob

Banned
Unless I'm missing something, I don't really see much difference between displaying your ranked progress vs having it in the background. If you lose three you still know that you have to basically win three to break even, whether the actual numbers are visible or not, though maybe the effect will be different for new players. The thing I don't really like about the changes are the ranks themselves. There's something very basic (in a good way) and globally understandable about the bronze-silver-gold-platinum progression; the new stuff not so much. Blue things and gold boxes seem like a downgrade, but maybe they work better as icons now that they're shown on the scoreboard or something, I dunno.

Anyway, the update seems like a wash for the time being.

+ Rocket Labs
+ New items and shit

= Ranked changes
= Wasteland being moved into ranked. I honestly don't have a strong opinion on this.

- Crashes (infrequent but more than before) and whatever the correct technical term for that little stuttering thing is (PS4 here)
- Matchmaking thing I was bitching about upthread

Though I'm sure there are lots of little improvements that are barely noticeable but important. For instance, I like that when a player leaves, they get zapped as opposed to exploding now. That's cool, it's less disruptive. In fact, if you're grinding through the mid levels like me, you may not even notice that your teammate left!

Though I'm sure there are lots of little improvements that are barely noticeable but important. For instance, I like that when a player leaves, they get zapped as opposed to exploding now. That's cool, it's less disruptive. In fact, if you're grinding through the mid levels like me, you may not even notice that your teammate left!

Ah interesting. Hadn't noticed that.

bjaelke

We had a lot of issues with groups on PS4 yesterday. It would disband the group upon joining a server and occasionally that meant one of us would end up on the other team.

Kayant

8werD1x.png

evRoxDq.png

I'm sure someone's dying to play devil's advocate but don't fucking bother. Like I've mentioned before, this is a pretty regular nightly occurrence. Hopefully the report system does actually do its job.
Damn that sucks. Haven't seen anything to that extend in RL yet thankfully.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Yeah I feel like there's still a balance tos trike in the ranking system.
Am I blind or does it say nowhere how many of your placement matches you played> I lost count doing 1v1 and was convinced I was on my 10th like 3 times. I think some sort of visual indication of how close you are to going up/down would still be nice but I do prefer it being less of a linear scale than season 1, with it being harder to drop now.

I think I prefer the idea of promotion matches, like play 3 games you gotta win to move up a rank once you hit a certain point, I think kinda how it works in League of Legends or something.

EDIT: Also not sure how I managed it but last season I couldn't break Bronze II, placed Prospect Elite and got a swift promo to Challenger 1. I put it down to my switch from PS4->PC, only sad thing is I dont have any limited items from Xmas, Halloween, etc. Anymore :(

EDIT 2: And another promo to Challenger II, never played the game this good, on a bloody roll today. Think I need to quit while I'm ahead.

GeeTeeCee

Ended up in Challenger 2 for solo 3v3, right in the middle of the divisions. Average. Sounds about right. Now watch as I get swiftly demoted.

I cant believe the Xbox version refuses to do cross play, AND won't shell out the cash for this to be on GWG day one.

I would wish for them to support the game as much as possible, but I guess word of mouth is what they are hoping to propel Xbox sales.

I cant imagine some fans in low demographic areas will have an easy time finding games though, and I am very curious to see the online numbers, just to see how well Rocket League can do with no GWG/cross play support.

I popped in Rocket League recently and was incredibly shocked to see the online users were 100K. Then I read about it being #1 on PSN, and I know PC gamers are getting all kinds of deals and are pretty numerous in install base.

It would have been so very awesome to have one super unified player base. I am hoping this still comes out for OSX, and that it's cross play with PS/PC.

8werD1x.png

evRoxDq.png

In Rainbow Six, when a user anywhere is banned from FairFight you see a "[Username] has been banned by FairFight"

Would be such sweet justice to see that message on Rocket League.

Would be nice to see some examples of users getting banned. Do we know what the consequences are anyway?

moojito

Got placed in prospect 3, but managed to claw my way to challenger 1 today. Finally, I'll get team mates that don't ball chase, know that you can roll the ball off the corners, and rotate, right?

tumblr_mgztqjkqsm1qh2o7zo1_r1_500.gif

:<

Bleh. Really missing the progress bar in ranked matches. That's what always kept me coming back.

When I win a ranked match and I don't see any numbers go up I don't get that same feeling of reward.

Soulflarz

Banned
I'm confused-- what do people want?

Do they want an arbitrary number that doesn't mean anything to go up? Reminder your number has potential to be vastly different from your trueskill, making every match hell for your rank.

Do people want trueskill to be shown? Sigma and Mu would confuse most people I assume.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It amazes me that they still haven't fixed the 100% broken matchmaking that sometimes happens. For anyone not familiar with it, if you enter a match and it still says "Finding player" for some players, the match will ALWAYS get cancelled. Every single time, without exception. Something is simply broken about that particular scenario, does not work at all.

EDIT: And it happened again, right after posting this! So annoying.

I'm confused-- what do people want?

Do they want an arbitrary number that doesn't mean anything to go up? Reminder your number has potential to be vastly different from your trueskill, making every match hell for your rank.

Do people want trueskill to be shown? Sigma and Mu would confuse most people I assume.

I think the issue is that now you have no idea if you're at the top or bottom of your current division, or what you might have to do to be promoted to the next one. Sure, play well, win a lot, but it feels very non-transparent now. I also have no idea why I'm now in Challenger III in doubles even though I was initially promoted from Unranked to Challenger Elite. I've won more matches than I've lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom