• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

IISANDERII

Holy shit the new maps, so fun! Tried going back to a standard map and just couldn't get into it, same old pattern and bounces😣
This got fresh!

Soulflarz

Banned
I think the issue is that now you have no idea if you're at the top or bottom of your current division, or what you might have to do to be promoted to the next one. Sure, play well, win a lot, but it feels very non-transparent now. I also have no idea why I'm now in Challenger III in doubles even though I was initially promoted from Unranked to Challenger Elite. I've won more matches than I've lost.

Look up how trueskill works. Ever play halo 3 ranked with the 50 numbers? Same thing, 12 instead of 50. Same methods for rank ups too if what they've said is accurate.
Derank yourself for that division 12 lol

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Look up how trueskill works. Ever play halo 3 ranked with the 50 numbers? Same thing, 12 instead of 50. Same methods for rank ups too if what they've said is accurate.
Derank yourself for that division 12 lol

Nope, no idea what you're talking about. :)

Is it more based on your individual skill now, rather than a win meaning you go up and a loss meaning you go down, no matter how you do personally?

Division (rank) is based on your trueskill (MMR), which is based on wins and losses. Individual performance doesn't matter. If you win, your MMR goes up. If you lose, it goes down. The more often you win, the higher your MMR will be. The more often you lose, the lower it will be. In theory, the better player you are, the more often you will win, and the higher MMR and rank you will be. It does not account for bad teammates or mismatched teams but in theory everyone is in the same boat exposed to the same shortcomings so it should still be a decent representation of your overall skill.

Division equalling MMR is perfect as now there is none of that catchup crap from Season 1. What they need to do now is just show your MMR (they do this for top 100) so the people who want to see progress can see their MMR tick up or down slightly after each match.

It amazes me that they still haven't fixed the 100% broken matchmaking that sometimes happens. For anyone not familiar with it, if you enter a match and it still says "Finding player" for some players, the match will ALWAYS get cancelled. Every single time, without exception. Something is simply broken about that particular scenario, does not work at all.

EDIT: And it happened again, right after posting this! So annoying.

It's supposed to get cancelled because there's not enough people to start the match. Either someone backed out at the last moment while the match was joining or had a connection issue. It cancels to avoid uneven teams in ranked, which it didn't do at launch. That's a good thing. It's working as intended. As soon as you see an empty spot you can exit or wait the timer out.

Soulflarz

Banned
Division (rank) is based on your trueskill (MMR), which is based on wins and losses. Individual performance doesn't matter. If you win, your MMR goes up. If you lose, it goes down. The more often you win, the higher your MMR will be. The more often you lose, the lower it will be. In theory, the better player you are, the more often you will win, and the higher MMR and rank you will be. It does not account for bad teammates or mismatched teams but in theory everyone is in the same boat exposed to the same shortcomings so it should still be a decent representation of your overall skill.

Division equalling MMR is perfect as now there is none of that catchup crap from Season 1. What they need to do now is just show your MMR (they do this for top 100) so the people who want to see progress can see their MMR tick up or down slightly after each match.

Yep.

The multiplier would probably confuse people

Basically, the old system did not work if you went on a winning streak. When I started RL on PC I won nearly 20 matches in a row, killing my MMR. I remember playing people near my ps4 level at half the number.

Pepi, Laz and I are gonna be playing ESL in a few, waiting on a team but I'm streaming now.

good luck!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's supposed to get cancelled because there's not enough people to start the match. Either someone backed out at the last moment while the match was joining or had a connection issue. It cancels to avoid uneven teams in ranked, which it didn't do at launch. That's a good thing. It's working as intended. As soon as you see an empty spot you can exit or wait the timer out.

I understand what the intention is, but it seems like it's trying to find other players to fill the empty spots with (since it says that's what it's doing), which NEVER works. It never finds another player. So why doesn't the match get cancelled right away instead? Because this is a thing that is supposed to work but doesn't. It's not working as intended. If it is, it's incredibly stupidly designed.

Soulflarz

Banned
I understand what the intention is, but it seems like it's trying to find other players to fill the empty spots with (since it says that's what it's doing), which NEVER works. It never finds another player. So why doesn't the match get cancelled right away instead? Because this is a thing that is supposed to work but doesn't. It's not working as intended. If it is, it's incredibly stupidly designed.

Chill, it's like 30s of your life, and it really isn't that common. It's giving someone with a worse connection or such (or it dropped for 10s) a chance to get in before it outright cancels it, or else you'd have matches cancel the second someone doesn't immediately connect. It's very good game design compared to the alternative.

Honestly, there are better quality of life fixes to make before that, it really isn't a big deal to note.
Things including: some system to connect to a friend with a code then search for a match together regardless of ps4/pc
I know this isn't easy to implement at all
or keep your partner in ranked without adding them.
Things are fine as is though?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Chill, it's like 30s of your life, and it really isn't that common. It's giving someone with a worse connection or such (or it dropped for 10s) a chance to get in before it outright cancels it, or else you'd have matches cancel the second someone doesn't immediately connect. It's very good game design compared to the alternative.

Except that never, ever happens. Which is what I'm saying. I'm not complaining about what this is intended to do, I'm complaining that it does not work. It would be a great feature if it did work, but it does not. I've been playing this game since release, and not once has it worked. "Finding player" is a 100% guaranteed match cancellation. And all I'm saying is that as things are I would rather the game just get cancelled right away instead of making everyone wait for nothing.

I don't think the community will ever accept non standard maps in ranked. Wasteland's reception seems to be lukewarm so far, or am I wrong? (i'm completely fine with it) I haven't been looking that hard though.

Best bet is to make a new ranked mode with the more well liked non standard maps.

I don't think the community will ever accept non standard maps in ranked. Wasteland's reception seems to be lukewarm so far, or am I wrong? (i'm completely fine with it) I haven't been looking that hard though.

Best bet is to make a new ranked mode with the more well liked non standard maps.

There should be separate matchmaking options for standard and non-standard maps, along with mixed. Doesn't have to be separate rank or anything. Just have options to toggle one off before matchmaking. Or introduce map voting. I don't mind wasteland, but it's too big for 2s or 1s.

Soulflarz

Banned
There should be separate matchmaking options for standard and non-standard maps, along with mixed. Doesn't have to be separate rank or anything. Just have options to toggle one off before matchmaking. Or introduce map voting. I don't mind wasteland, but it's too big for 2s or 1s.

This. Let the community decide.
Wasteland is survivable in 2s, I have no idea why it'd be in ones

Might just be wasteland. I'd totally do the circle map ranked all day.

Except that never, ever happens. Which is what I'm saying. I'm not complaining about what this is intended to do, I'm complaining that it does not work. It would be a great feature if it did work, but it does not. I've been playing this game since release, and not once has it worked. "Finding player" is a 100% guaranteed match cancellation. And all I'm saying is that as things are I would rather the game just get cancelled right away instead of making everyone wait for nothing.

As someone with over 200 hr on the game, I can safely say I've had people connect 15s after waiting. It works. This really isn't a big deal, and theres no way to stop the match from starting. You're frustrated over the extra 15s you have to wait nstead of it cancelling after 5s, it's really not a big deal?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is this qualification round or whatever gonna end after some time? The text on the main menu seems to imply so. Does that mean that after that time you will be locked into whatever division you're in, with no way to get promoted even if you drastically improve as a player? That would suck. I guess it would more closely resemble a season of an actual sport, but still. It would make me less inclined to keep at it, I think.

This. Let the community decide.
Wasteland is survivable in 2s, I have no idea why it'd be in ones

Might just be wasteland. I'd totally do the circle map ranked all day.

As someone with over 200 hr on the game, I can safely say I've had people connect 15s after waiting. It works. This really isn't a big deal, and theres no way to stop the match from starting. You're frustrated over the extra 15s you have to wait nstead of it cancelling after 5s, it's really not a big deal?

I have over 250h in the game (probably closer to 300, no way of really knowing), and I can safely say it has never worked for me. Not once. And I have never quit out of it, I always wait. Which maybe I shouldn't.

Soulflarz

Banned
Is this qualification round or whatever gonna end after some time? The text on the main menu seems to imply so. Does that mean that after that time you will be locked into whatever division you're in, with no way to get promoted even if you drastically improve as a player? That would suck. I guess it would more closely resemble a season of an actual sport, but still. It would make me less inclined to keep at it, I think.

No, or else it'd be a dead game on ranked.

The qualification rounds are your first 10 placement matches. After that you're place in a division based on those results (and your previous MMR) from which you can move up or down like before but now it's without the arbitrary numbers. Same concept as before though.

There are some trolls in the top tier divisions but my fucking god at low tier like Challenger 3. I don't know how I'm supposed to rank up in solo threes when my teammates get 50 points all game and start trolling if we're down two goals... If they wouldn't turn against me when I don't forfeit witt 4 minutes left then I'd have the chance to carry the assholes. I won probably 12/15 games earlier and nothing, now I'm getting stuck with trolls every single game and losing. Maaaan it's frustrating, seems like this community has really gone to shit.

Lunar FC

They are fun, but they better stay out of Ranked. I still think Wasteland being there is a bit much.

Yes, lets keep ranked the same exact thing for the rest of human existence. That would be just so fun!

I hope they add them into ranked to just see some of these nerds lose their shit.

Yes, lets keep ranked the same exact thing for the rest of human existence. That would be just so fun!

I hope they add them into ranked to just see some of these nerds lose their shit.

It would be fun. In fact it's been fun this entire time.

I, too, hope they add something the community seems generally against because I, too, like to be a dick about people I know nothing about.

I retire from this game. Solo ranked is crap. So many terrible players and I got Silver 3 and went down to silver 2 after losing 4 in a row and now with even more crappier people. lost maybe the last 8 games.

edit: 11 losses in a row. I jsut wanted 1 win before bed, fuck.

I retire from this game. Solo ranked is crap. So many terrible players and I got Silver 3 and went down to silver 2 after losing 4 in a row and now with even more crappier people. lost maybe the last 8 games. sucks

I was pondering this after SF V downloads (cant have room for two execution=heavy/lab work games at once!) and all the 3+ Saves games I put in where I both scored the only goals and lost but hey...CHAINSAW TOPPER! Bye, bye, wizard hat! Just need a shotgun antenna and I'm set.

I retire from this game. Solo ranked is crap. So many terrible players and I got Silver 3 and went down to silver 2 after losing 4 in a row and now with even more crappier people. lost maybe the last 8 games.

edit: 11 losses in a row. I jsut wanted 1 win before bed, fuck.
Solo can really be random. Try teaming up with someone in standard or doubles. Once I get through my placement matches, I'll be available to play. My skill level is probably about where you are.

I was pondering this after SF V downloads (cant have room for two execution=heavy/lab work games at once!) and all the 3+ Saves games I put in where I both scored the only goals and lost but hey...CHAINSAW TOPPER! Bye, bye, wizard hat! Just need a shotgun antenna and I'm set.

Solo can really be random. Try teaming up with someone in standard or doubles. Once I get through my placement matches, I'll be available to play. My skill level is probably about where you are.

It was about 50/50 when I was Silver 3. Now at Silver 2, it's about 100% in my last 12 games.

Bollocks

really miss the progress bar and I doubt the matchmaking got better.

I'm Challenger 3 and my teammates are still dumb as shit.
Ready to center the ball to 2nd teammate, suddenly the 3rd teammate crashes into me from behind, ball goes anywhere but the center, casual clear into our now empty goal, great job.
Easy lob to our goal, goalie misses.

I mean come on, this is Challenger 3.
No Rising Star for me with teammates like this.

I need to start enjoying ranked and it's going to take a change in mindset. Ranked is not made so everyone rises to the top it's so you play with people your own skill level and improve by playing people who make you play better. I think I'm there but my progression is so slow it's painful. I am however getting in mostly really great matches and seeing some improvement in my play. Little by little I guess.

controversial opinion

i dont hate wastelend

I don't really understand the hate. Does it really change the game up that much for some people?

No one in my group of friends that play have anything to say when it comes up in the rotation but I see nothing but hate online.

Soulflarz

Banned
Re: 1v1s- dribbling is highly important. That or extremely accurate aerial control. This is because generally strong aerials that don't go in in 2s/3s is a free setup to middle, now they're worth nothing, so you need to pick the option that's a consistent shot.
Basically, play 2s :V

controversial opinion

i dont hate wastelend

It's meh
I don't inherently mind it because it's not like one team or another has an advantage--I just make a few silly mistakes on it.

So basically I mind it until I learn whether a shot is on or not fully then I'm fine.
I love when people use it as a serious excuse for their loss.

I don't really understand the hate. Does it really change the game up that much for some people?

No one in my group of friends that play have anything to say when it comes up in the rotation but I see nothing but hate online.

It's different which throws some people off and as such they don't want to learn it :p

RoadHazard

Gold Member
really miss the progress bar and I doubt the matchmaking got better.

I'm Challenger 3 and my teammates are still dumb as shit.
Ready to center the ball to 2nd teammate, suddenly the 3rd teammate crashes into me from behind, ball goes anywhere but the center, casual clear into our now empty goal, great job.
Easy lob to our goal, goalie misses.

I mean come on, this is Challenger 3.
No Rising Star for me with teammates like this.

You have to take a HUGE amount of responsibility yourself in those divisions (I'm also at around Challenger III-Elite so far), in particular defensively, because you just never know if your teammates are absolutely hopeless or surprisingly competent. Poor players will get promoted on the backs of better players, and great players will be held back due to bad matchmaking luck. The only way to be sure is to play with people you know are at your level.

Dr Prob

Banned
There are some trolls in the top tier divisions but my fucking god at low tier like Challenger 3. I don't know how I'm supposed to rank up in solo threes when my teammates get 50 points all game and start trolling if we're down two goals... If they wouldn't turn against me when I don't forfeit witt 4 minutes left then I'd have the chance to carry the assholes. I won probably 12/15 games earlier and nothing, now I'm getting stuck with trolls every single game and losing. Maaaan it's frustrating, seems like this community has really gone to shit.

Heh. I ran into you yesterday in ranked and that's exactly what happened :D We went up two or three goals and your team just stopped playing like one minute in, though you kept at it and eventually scored. Thought your name looked familiar.

Pretty cool map concept!

HVCAMya.png

From my understanding, the goals are sunken in and below the center, and facing away from the kickoff.

Would love for Psyonix to make maps like this

Oops nvm, not sunken in. The center is just a raised platform. Though I think it'd be interesting if it was

Whoa, having never played 2v2s in season 1, I expected the 10 placement matches to, well, give me some idea of where I'd be. Instead, I get matched with pretty much semipros and pros, the odd veteran once or twice, and win 9-1 of my matches (don't ask how I lost one...). End up at prospect elite.

I feel bad for some of the people I was trashing. I assumed the game would give me higher level opponents at some stage, but it didn't.

I will say though, I've met more competent 2v2 players at those lower levels than in higher 3v3.

Edit: Oh yea, having tried Rocket Labs, I hate the donut map, love the dual goal map, and am indifferent to the 2-tier map. I'd play more, but only getting a 1 in 3 chance of the good map kinda bums me out. The 2-tier map doesn't do enough for me really.

Patch Notes

Rocket League Patch Notes v1.12
Platforms: PC/PS4 | Released: February 15, 2016

CHANGES AND UPDATES

Implemented automatic ban system associated with players who delete content from their game files to avoid competitive matchmaking in certain arenas.

BUG FIXES

Skill Rating calculation has been fixed on the League Rankings screen and now accurately reflects your MMR
Fixed an issue that caused the Ranked Reconnect popup to appear improperly during gameplay
Fixed an issue that caused players to lose input in the Muting menu
Competitive games are now properly labeled on the in-game score card
Players will no longer incorrectly appear to be in a party on the scoreboard
Fixed an issue that allowed Ballcam to be enabled/disabled erroneously in the post game screen
(PS4) Players can once again view their old replay files
(PS4) Text Chat keybinding has returned to the Controls menu
(PC) Fixed an issue that displayed party members cars incorrectly in the main menu
(PC) Fixed an issue with how the Max FPS slider capped frame rate
(PC) Fixed an issue causing users with large Steam Friend Lists to experience graphical hitches

Since the season 2 patch officially came out, has anyone else encountered the "Party destroyed" error (PS4)? It's happened to me quit often and it's really putting a damper on my experience. My friends have to re-invite me after almost every single match.

Lunar FC

My brother who plays this game on occasion and hasn't purchased any dlc just unexpectedly had all the dlc unlocked on his account. We've checked the psn store and no puchases have been made and it shows the dlcs as unpurchased. Anybody ever had something like this happen?

KanameYuuki

Unlocked fruit hat, awww yeah haha, are they going to change the property of those metallic wall textures on rocket labs? they never get invisible and they really suck playing on the circular map, if you get close you are blinded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom