• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
This game feels amaaaaazing. They nailed the mechanics and visual feedback. The fluidity when something goes right lawwwd. Who needs teammates

RL1.gif

And here I am struggling to keep the ball in a straight line
before the AI take it from me and score an own goal

PaulLFC

As far as I can tell, Sweet Tooth is unlocked when you win one game with each car that you currently have unlocked.

This is why it's unlocking at different times for people - some will have unlocked more cars in previous matches, so will need to win a game with those cars as well before Sweet Tooth unlocks.

The quickest way for new players is to play a game with each car from the start and not play more than one game with each car until he unlocks, this minimises the number of extra cars that will unlock before Sweet Tooth.

hao chi

Got in some matches on an Oceania server. It was fairly laggy, but still playable. Had fun finally playing against human players again. Can't wait for the server issues to be sorted out so I can get on NA servers again though.

I don't think it's "hard" per say, I just think that the pitches are too large and the ball is a bit too easy to get vertical, I wonder if a "roof" on the pitches would help?

There is a roof, but if you want those high up balls, you best learn how to fly up there and get them. ;)

Hasney

As far as I can tell, Sweet Tooth is unlocked when you win one game with each car that you currently have unlocked.

This is why it's unlocking at different times for people - some will have unlocked more cars in previous matches, so will need to win a game with those cars as well before Sweet Tooth unlocks.

The quickest way for new players is to play a game with each car from the start and not play more than one game with each car until he unlocks, this minimises the number of extra cars that will unlock before Sweet Tooth.

That would make a lot of sense actually and clear up how some people were doing it earlier. Good point.

I don't think it's "hard" per say, I just think that the pitches are too large and the ball is a bit too easy to get vertical, I wonder if a "roof" on the pitches would help?

Nope, nope, nope and nope. Check out the game on youtube and see how different the game is when people learn to fly. Check out Kronovi's montage in the OP for a great example.

As you get better, you'll find fewer and fewer lobbies in which people stay grounded and just wait for the ball. There's rarely a moment in 'pro' games when someone isn't getting to the ball - no matter how high it is :)

jiggles

Banned
What's the general consensus on the Ball Cam? I tried leaving it on all the time, but the fact is that it's much easier to execute shots with it off, so I'm in this hybrid state of switching it back and forth when needed.

Is this the best way to play it? The switches are starting to feel like second nature, but I don't want either view to end up a crutch.

M.W.

This game feels sooooooo good.

The insane thing is...nearly everyone says this. It's so fun, and just feels right. The hype this thread put up could have never lived up to it, except it's exceeded it. That's how fucking good this game is.

Bishop89

too large? hell no.

Its perfect size. Too small would be way to hectic.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There is a roof, but if you want those high up balls, you best learn how to fly up there and get them. ;)

What I don't yet understand is how I'm supposed to do that if I'm currently right underneath the ball. With the ball cam I can't see my car if the ball is above me, so it's very difficult to line things up properly, and with the regular cam I can't see the ball (but I can see the marker on the ground I suppose). If you're some distance away it's less of an issue, but doing anything of value when the ball is right above me is a big issue for me right now.

Noaloha

I have a suspicion that the Rookie AI has some logic to it that states if the ball is moving toward their own goal (for whatever reason) there's a chance that an AI car will drive back to be the goalkeeper. Which results in weird behaviour when that specific AI player is one who nudged the ball toward their goal -- they'll beeline directly back toward their net and end up pushing the ball as a side-effect.

Greddleok

Yeah, I meant a lower roof.

I probably just need to "git gud", but it can be quite frustrating, for a new player, when the ball goes way into the sky!

I feel the same, but what's the incentive to git gud if it's not fun when you suck?

I'm sure it's great when you can play. However, after going through the tutorials and playing a couple of matches I just felt bored because I couldn't do anything of worth. Just chasing a ball around and accidentally hitting it.

Hasney

What I don't yet understand is how I'm supposed to do that if I'm currently right underneath the ball. With the ball cam I can't see my car if the ball is above me, so it's very difficult to line things up properly, and with the regular cam I can't see the ball (but I can see the marker on the ground I suppose). If you're some distance away it's less of an issue, but doing anything of value when the ball is right above me is a big issue for me right now.

You couldn't really do anything of value anyway as you'd have no momentum. Unless it's right on your goalline, backup towards to the goal.

M.W.

I feel the same, but what's the incentive to git gud if it's not fun when you suck?

I'm sure it's great when you can play. However, after going through the tutorials and playing a couple of matches I just felt bored because I couldn't do anything of worth. Just chasing a ball around and accidentally hitting it.

Gerstmann?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You couldn't really do anything of value anyway as you'd have no momentum. Unless it's right on your goalline, backup towards to the goal.

Hmm, yeah, I guess. So the strategy should always be to come flying in from some distance? Don't chase right after the ball unless it's on the ground? And when it goes up one of the sides (which happens pretty much all the time), back off and attack from afar?

red731

Yeah, I meant a lower roof.

I probably just need to "git gud", but it can be quite frustrating, for a new player, when the ball goes way into the sky!

Like everyone. I am new player and nothing is frustrating - I am pushing to get more experienced. Game is fair.
Also jump, tilt the car and hit boost = fly. But that is in tutorials and everyone done them. Surely.

The game has been out a day and people are upset they are not already godlike without practising?

It is freaking crazy. Everyone today is really thinking they will be the best without putting time into things. Sad.

I reckon it comes with practice, but I can't help but think that there could have been a better way to ease new players in........

lol9. just, put some time in the game and don't write that you are not good after two matches? I'm new and having so much fun. I don't get it. There are bots and even practice stadium - what else you want?

danowat

Banned

Pretty much how I felt, although I won the first two matches I played.

I reckon it comes with practice, but I can't help but think that there could have been a better way to ease new players in........

Yes, I played the tutorials, and yes, I accept I won't be godlike, but frustration isn't good, and can turn people off, the learning curve is just a touch to steep.

I hope they get the item stats working sooner than later after the servers are worked out. There's some cool stats I'd like to check out that aren't working yet.

Hasney

Hmm, yeah, I guess. So the strategy should always be to come flying in from some distance? Don't chase right after the ball unless it's on the ground? And when it goes up one of the sides (which happens pretty much all the time), back off and attack it from afar?

Yeah, even if it's just a little bit. Air balls I use standard camera for and use the marker when I'm under it and on the goalline of either theirs or mine just trying to touch it in/out, but until you can get flying down, it's usually better to see how the air ball resolves itself and steam in with a regular jump shot.

I hope they get the item stats working sooner than later after the servers are worked out. There's some cool stats I'd like to check out that aren't working yet.

What are you missing? Everythings tracking here now although it wasn't on Monday.

Pretty much how I felt, although I won the first two matches I played.

Yes, I played the tutorials, and yes, I accept I won't be godlike, but frustration isn't good, and can turn people off, the learning curve is just a touch to steep.

How could you do that while keeping the skill ceiling high? The tutorials and training should give most people enough to play and have fun and the matchmaking will get people of similar skill, but it can't right now since it's new and it'll take so long to get on a server, it'll just shove you on the first open one anyway.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah, even if it's just a little bit. Air balls I use standard camera for and use the marker when I'm under it and on the goalline of either theirs or mine just trying to touch it in/out, but until you can get flying down, it's usually better to see how the air ball resolves itself and steam in with a regular jump shot.

Thanks!

Regarding cameras, which one does the RL pros typically use? I realize that it probably varies from player to player, but is there a consensus as to which is better? Keep switching depending on the situation? You say you use the standard cam for air balls, do you use the ball cam otherwise?

I've been having loads of fun with the game, and could really feel myself improving during the time I played yesterday, there are just a few things like this I haven't quite wrapped my head around yet. Which I don't expect to happen right away, of course.

Hasney

The cosmetic item stats like distance driven, boost time, time played, etc. The regular stats page is working perfect though.

Yeah, I've got them all tracking for me.

Thanks!

Regarding cameras, which one does the RL pros typically use? I realize that it probably varies from player to player, but is there a consensus as to which is better? Keep switching depending on the situation? You say you use the standard cam for air balls, do you use the ball cam otherwise?

It's situational really. Much easier to line up shots with the regular cam, but ball cam stops the ball from getting lost!

Thanks!

The top ranked guys on Twitch switch back and forth. I use the ball cam just to locate the ball or if I'm on the goalie. I find it difficult to use to line up shots. When the ball flies straight up and I'm stuck under it I'll use the ball indicator instead of ball cam.

Yeah, I've got them all tracking for me.

I'm in the US, I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Or because I've been playing unranked games?

Recall

Played four online 3v3 matches EU server and it was ace. Rocking sweet tooth too. There are already some great, great players out there and in turn I'm finding out some great tactics watching them play.

red731

Some tips for beginners!@reddit via deejayone

For those new trying it, a few tips:
1 TRAIN FIRST. Do the main training tutorial first to learn the basic controls.

2 LEARN THE BASICS. Follow the tutorial up with the Goalie, Striker and Aerial training for at least the rookie level and try to 10/10 all of those. Note that these are generally not indicative of normal play, but will give you a flavour of getting used to things. Pro and All-Star levels ramp up the difficulty so come back to these after sampling the fun of the games!

3 PLAY THE BOTS. Next, give an exhibition match a go, choose 3v3 against bots and simply get used to the gameplay.

Check the link, tips go up to 15.

Jb

So does the game not display the name of who is at fault when an own goal happens? Asking for a friend.

Hasney

I'm in the US, I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Or because I've been playing unranked games?

Nah, it's tracking everything and I haven't touched an online game. They weren't working day one for me, so maybe they just need to warm up before tracking? Or maybe unlocking a certain amount?

So does the game not display the name of who is at fault when an own goal happens? Asking for a friend.

Nah, no need to rub it in their face, they know they messed up. I bet your friend does too.

red731

I need to help you so can enjoy the game and not be (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

Btw here's to - my PS4's gonna lift off or the fan will jump out and cut my artery https://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLeague/comments/3cf93b/warning_to_console_players/

+dev's voice on the matter
[–]Psyonix_Corey Psyonix 169 points 16 hours ago*
Hijacking this since it's top comment right now.
We are aware of the issue and investigating. We're in contact with Sony as well. Unfortunately the issue is not clear cut, despite people citing other similar cases, but we recognize it is important to get solved ASAP.
I can say we've been playing and testing this game for months in the office without issue to our PS4s, and thousands of people played yesterday and in our public betas without incident. We have no reason to believe it's unsafe for your console.

WITHE1982

With these settings, I find that I'm 2x the player than I ever was on default.

Camera Shake: Off
Camera FOV: 110
Camera Height: 100.00
Camera Angle: -3.00
Camera Distance: 230.00
Camera Stiffness: 0.70
Camera Swivel Speed: 3.20

Taken from this post: http://www.psyonix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=11460&p=223144&hilit=camera+settings#p223144

Nice one buddy. I was coming on to ask this exact question.

Out of curiosity has anyone on GAF managed the platinum yet? I'm only 4 trophies short and I think I'll get them in the next couple of days (need to make 3 more saves, unlock every item, drive for 500km and then play online with a friend).

I fuckin' love this game. Even offline mode is a blast on higher difficulties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom