• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm enjoying the game but I'm really bad atm :(
Seems like everytime the opposing team scores it's because I missed the ball or it bounces nicely for one of their team after I hit it.
Have you tried the goalie training or aerial goals training? A bit of that should help you start to get a feel for height and trajectory prediction.

Played some off-line matches in the season mode as well as one online match this morning. Good lord is this game fun. Love that this is a PS+ title.

Was planning on getting back into Helldivers after I finish Batman, but I think this may steal more of my attention.

JambiBum

How and when do you guys turn off the ball cam? Every time I do I feel instantly ineffective

Since I play goalie I actually hardly turn it on at all. You can maneuver a lot better without it on and that is vital when playing goal. The only time I really turn it is on is when it is in a corner surrounded by players or I have to chase it back to goal and it is to my side.

Moving around the ball with the cam on isn't an easy thing to do and you lose a lot of maneuverability when using it. You can see this a lot when you watch people stream who are fairly new. Watching other people play helps you learn what you could be doing better a lot. Get into the habit of only using the cam when you have lost track of it or when it is high up in the air. Once you get used to not relying on it so much you become a much better player.

Hoo-doo

Banned
There's so many little things that make this game a joy to play.

The football-like crowd chanting, the extremely precise controls, the ball fucking detonating like a bomb once it passes the line, it's all so good.

Edit: Aw shit, I haven't even thought of bumping Spotify while playing. Time to hit up some wild electro playlists.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Speaking of which: Is there just the one ball skin? Odd omission if so, given the amount of car customization the game has. Seems like such a no-brainer to have different ball styles such as soccer ball (genious!), volleyball, beach ball, giant tennis ball, etc, etc. Future DLC?
I hope free ball DLC...could make for some freaking hilarious scenarios depending on how crazy they take their ball skin.
Since I play goalie I actually hardly turn it on at all. You can maneuver a lot better without it on and that is vital when playing goal. The only time I really turn it is on is when it is in a corner surrounded by players or I have to chase it back to goal and it is to my side.

Moving around the ball with the cam on isn't an easy thing to do and you lose a lot of maneuverability when using it. You can see this a lot when you watch people stream who are fairly new. Watching other people play helps you learn what you could be doing better a lot. Get into the habit of only using the cam when you have lost track of it or when it is high up in the air. Once you get used to not relying on it so much you become a much better player.
Welp shiet, back to training I go...
Got waay too reliant on the damn cam now.

Vorheez

How do you effectively fly up to defend the higher balls without the cam following the ball? You would think that the cam would remove half the guessing work of where it's going.

Kalor

I got a couple of rounds in there and played with the same group for 3 or 4 matches. It was my first time playing 4v4 and it is really chaotic. The group I was with was all good at the game so it was nice and competitive. I had to play on the US West server but it was still perfectly playable despite being at 200 ping.

JambiBum

How do you effectively fly up to defend the higher balls without the cam following the ball? You would think that the cam would remove half the guessing work of where it's going.

Practice and knowing the trajectory of the ball beforehand. I did the all star goalie practice multiple times until I got it down to 9/10 saves constantly. If the ball is far away and coming towards the goal in the air I'll use the camera to track it for a bit, but once it gets past midfield I will usually always turn the camera off. I'm already top 100 in saves on the leaderboards and most of the people in front of me are the people who had the pre release copies.

Sometimes there are shots that I have no chance of stopping because they are shot too well but most of the time the only shots that go in on me are own goals from team mates who get in the way. The only balls I really have problems judging still are the ones in the corners because judging how they are going to bounce once they hit the corner is tricky. I just need actual people to play with on pc who understand not to get in a goalies way at this point.

Pretty fun game. Too bad their servers were offline before I could enjoy a mp match. I switched back to witcher 3 and then did 2 nightfalls with hunter and warlock.

IvanJ

Banned
I almost didn't download this game at all, but the small file size made me give it a chance.
I am so glad, this game is amazing. I cannot recall the last time I had such fun playing online.
I can barely force myself to put the controller down...just one more match...ok, one more...this one and that's it...turned into a 4 hour gaming session...

10/10 GOTY

Hasney

Search 3v3 in Europe. I've gotten in with no issue all morning.

I've uninstalled and redownloaded to see if that makes a difference. Still using the NZ version I downloaded early so it may have been fucking with it. That was exactly what I as searching for.

I almost didn't download this game at all, but the small file size made me give it a chance.
I am so glad, this game is amazing. I cannot recall the last time I had such fun playing online.
I can barely force myself to put the controller down...just one more match...ok, one more...this one and that's it...turned into a 4 hour gaming session...

10/10 GOTY

The "one more" nature of this game is the strongest for any game I've ever played. I mean, I have a good amount of work to do today, and I gave myself an hour.... which turned into 2+. Its borderline dangerous. Haha

Online is amazing. Getting warnings about longer than average wait times and everything, but Im getting in immediately and havent experienced any real lag.

Hasney

Just noticed the ticker is saying I'm offline. Trying on the NZ account to see if the save is buggered somehow and (FAKE EDIT: It isn't) then to try rebuilding the database.

tusken77

I was going to recommend everyone doing this. Select the EDM playlist of your choice and you're set.

giphy.gif

I've got the Tron soundtrack on. Each match has become even more epic.

Vorheez

Practice and knowing the trajectory of the ball beforehand. I did the all star goalie practice multiple times until I got it down to 9/10 saves constantly. If the ball is far away and coming towards the goal in the air I'll use the camera to track it for a bit, but once it gets past midfield I will usually always turn the camera off. I'm already top 100 in saves on the leaderboards and most of the people in front of me are the people who had the pre release copies.

Sometimes there are shots that I have no chance of stopping because they are shot too well but most of the time the only shots that go in on me are own goals from team mates who get in the way. The only balls I really have problems judging still are the ones in the corners because judging how they are going to bounce once they hit the corner is tricky. I just need actual people to play with on pc who understand not to get in a goalies way at this point.
I was 48 on the leaderboards when I logged off, and I've been using the ball cam. That being said, your way does ultimately sound superior and I will practice it as soon as I boot it up tomorrow! Thanks for the help. Truth be told, I wasn't even aware there was a goalie practice :/.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Holy cow this game is great. I have only played offline so far but man, one of my biggest surprises this year. I had zero expectations and can't stop playing.

Hasney

My Ps4 gets really loud when playing this. It's silent when i'm playing Ultra SF or other games.

The title screen heats it up. Move the camera up so it doesn't render the grass and you should be fine, but the devs are looking into it.

red731

My Ps4 gets really loud when playing this. It's silent when i'm playing Ultra SF or other games.

Devs know about this issue. They are in touch with Sony and will be issuing a hotfix once the culprit in code is found.

ed: Adding Tron OST into the mix sounds really great and fu. I still have hours at work. ffs :D

JambiBum

I was 48 on the leaderboards when I logged off, and I've been using the ball cam. That being said, your way does ultimately sound superior and I will practice it as soon as I boot it up tomorrow! Thanks for the help. Truth be told, I wasn't even aware there was a goalie practice :/.

All Star difficulty has some pretty hard shots but I definitely recommend that one. When you do it, try not to use ball cam to track the shots and see how you do. For the shots that start you parallel with the ball you will need to use it though. You'll understand what I mean once you try it.

Alej

Banned
Still nothing after database rebuild. Router reboot and then I'm out of ideas.

The same. But I can play online if a friend invite me in a group or if my wife plays on her session (with me getting in).

It's related to our PSN ID, not our PS4, not our router or IP.

Hasney

The same. But I can play online if a friend invite me in a group or if my wife plays on her session (with me getting in).

It's related to our PSN ID, not our PS4, not our router or IP.

I tried on HasneyNZ as well and that's not worked either. Bugger.

Z3M0G

Anyone else playing a season, and find their teamate(s) scoring on your own goal far more often than the enemy does? It happens with me game after game after game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom