• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Servers dead again? It's showing tons of people in playlists, but I can't find shit.

I tried to get into a 2v2 together with someone around that time and it searched forever. We did a couple of 1v1 instead. Probably 30 minutes later I teamed up with two friends for 3v3 and we found a match instantly.

Any tips for coordinated 3v3?

Just started playing ranked on this for the first time. How do you progress on here?! It seems like you're expected to just get constant win streaks? That's really hard to do when you can't garuntee what caliber of team mates you get. I seem like I'm stuck at one place constantly getting ranked up and down one division by winning one then losing one. Does it not take into account your actual performance in the game? I'm staying top of my team a lot but it's not really changing anything.

Grinchy

Banned
Just started playing ranked on this for the first time. How do you progress on here?! It seems like you're expected to just get constant win streaks? That's really hard to do when you can't garuntee what caliber of team mates you get. I seem like I'm stuck at one place constantly getting ranked up and down one division by winning one then losing one. Does it not take into account your actual performance in the game? I'm staying top of my team a lot but it's not really changing anything.

I was under the impression that the new ranking system wasn't just about wins and losses, but I'm not seeing that to be true at all. My buddy and I are pretty far apart in ranks. Every time he ranks down from a loss, so do I.

And if we have a game that ends after a long overtime where we both had really major points, we still get ranked down from the loss. If it were about personal contributions, like I thought it was supposed to be, it doesn't seem like it would go that way.

This is all so anecdotal, but I'm just going to assume that the ranking system didn't really change and that it's still mainly just about wins and losses. If that's the case, it's fine. It's not gonna stop me from playing.

Soulflarz

Banned
Old rank system- wins/losses determine if you go up or down. You go up or down based on your trueskill vs theirs. Pros being that you can consistently see your score, but the cons being you could theoretically be switching from ps4 to pc and now when you play at silver 1 it's harder than silver 3 on PS4 for you because your trueskill is inflated.

New rank system- fully your trueskill number, a thing that moves based on wins/losses and in relation to how often you win+your chances of winning that match.

W/L is still the only thing that determines a rank up, yeah.

Yeah no, this is a borderline terrible idea because of the implications.
AFKing is very rare compared to what you're saying, I haven't seen one in the past week and I've played a good 15+ hours, no way you're at a multiple over 50x my rate.

Regardless of that, voiding your loss is kind of pointless, it's like saying void a match because my teammate isn't as good as me or such, it devalues rank. If you're on a smurf, what's to stop you from telling your friend to not move, then you win the game? It's free painless wins. The other implication is a result of the other team not being barred from gaining points for the match - which we can all agree is reasonable and fair. In these systems, you can't have a point increase without point loss, or everyone would just MMR grind by a gentleman rule.

TL;DR This doesn't work in a ranking system and there's no way that AFK number is accurate/not greatly exaggerated.

First, it is accurate because it happened, so cut that BS out. Maybe you're at a rank where there aren't dickheads who AFK, but I'm ranking down due to finding them where I am all the time, and I cannot rank up because of them.

Second, read my post? Not receiving a loss doesn't mean you get a win. The rank outcome for that match just needs be voided for the team who lost someone, only the AFKer should be punished.

It's complete bullshit you lose rank because some prick decided to AFK.

Such a system could not be abused, as someone as got to take that loss of points as well as a 15 minute ban. Plus AFKers only really happen in the non-party playlist, so there is no "Tell a friend to afk".

Soulflarz

Banned
First, it is accurate because it happened, so cut that BS out. Maybe you're at a rank where there aren't dickheads who AFK, but I'm ranking down due to finding them where I am all the time, and I cannot rank up because of them.

Second, read my post? Not receiving a loss doesn't mean you get a win. The rank outcome for that match just needs be voided for the team who lost someone, only the AFKer should be punished.

It's complete bullshit you lose rank because some prick decided to AFK.

Such a system could not be abused, as someone as got to take that loss of points as well as a 15 minute ban. Plus AFKers only really happen in the non-party playlist, so there is no "Tell a friend to afk".

I have 2 accounts and my ranks go from barely challenger to blues on them so yes I have a pretty good idea how often AFKers are. Regardless, it's never so severe you can't rank up.
And yes, voiding a loss is the issue, else you just have someone go afk if you get bodied and you're set to alternate and rank down slower. Regardless, this is next to impossible to reasonably implement, so the idea is still a moot point. I still just think it's in the same category as "my teammates all suck and thats why I'm stuck at rank X!", which contributes to the major problem this game has with the community.

Edit: calm down dude.
Tl;dr AFKing isn't worth getting mad at the game for, theres not much you or the dev can do, and it's not going to ruin your day. If it is, only play with friends, why risk not having fun.

Shhhh Salsa, shhh.
Oh, yeah
It doesn't look that good but it was nott an easy redirect >_>

Okay, I've got 9 fucking foam hats now, meanwhile I'm still missing 6-7 other uncommon items. They should have made it so you get them all before giving you duplicates. On the flipside, maybe 10 fucking foam hats (I'm sure I'll get another one within the week) will be worth something once we find out where they are headed with the duplicate items =)

My Rocket darlings are leaving for vacation, so I have almost nobody to play with for a while.

If anyone in EU wanna get together and play some ranked (2v2 or 3v3), feel free to add me on Steam.
I'm Shooting Star in Doubles and Rising Star in Standard.
Your rank doesnt really matter to me, so feel free to add me regardless of what you are.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
My Rocket darlings are leaving for vacation, so I have almost nobody to play with for a while.

If anyone in EU wanna get together and play some ranked (2v2 or 3v3), feel free to add me on Steam.
I'm Shooting Star in Doubles and Rising Star in Standard.
Your rank doesnt really matter to me, so feel free to add me regardless of what you are.
I'll add you later. I'm rising star in doubles. Feel free to add me before that though. Same goes for anybody. Please play with me....

gary1485

I have a new rule: play until Wasteland shows up. That way you can have sessions between 0-15 min.

But it's unbelievable they haven't fixed this yet. What were they thinking?

Ocho

I have a new rule: play until Wasteland shows up. That way you can have sessions between 0-15 min.

But it's unbelievable they haven't fixed this yet. What were they thinking?

Play a couple of wasteland matches and you'll get used to it. It's no longer a big deal when I play it.

Play a couple of wasteland matches and you'll get used to it. It's no longer a big deal when I play it.

I'm not sure how that will help. I've played it well over 100 times already!

Even if I play it 100 times again it'll still be terribly balanced. It's an awful RL map and if people actually want to play it they should have the option to do so. To force such a map on everyone is bad idea.

Outside of maybe it being too big for 1v1 I don't get the hate either. It's my favorite map. I smile every time it pops up, especially when someone inevitably grumbles about it.

Love the extra space and wall game. Don't even notice the sloping sides anymore. Feels flat to me after X number of games. Honestly it's become a cliche to complain about it. Pros love it. I just don't understand how it can have any negative impact on someone's game other than placebo but maybe it's just different strokes I guess?

I will say it does pop up quite frequently so if you dig some of the other maps more and don't get to play them as often that is a valid gripe.

Quick question about ranks. How many divisions are there per rank? I've been stuck around Challenger 1 Division 1 since I got a rank but played a bit today and managed to move up to Division 4. I was hoping to log off at Challenger 2 but I banked on there only being 3 divisions. Hoping to reach the rank of Rising Star eventually but it looks like it's gonna be a while.

PSY・S;198496557 said:
i don't get the wasteland hate. what's wrong with it?

It messes up the bounces is my reason. I'll often be prepping for a half volley and then sail right by it. Then I kinda hate the way the corners draw the ball in on the goal. It feels like everything is a possible shot on goal at times. And then the width too, having further to go to reach the goal to defend. I dunno I'm just not a fan in general.

Pepiope

PSY・S;198496557 said:
i don't get the wasteland hate. what's wrong with it?
When you memorize the layout of the base maps, playing Wasteland can fuck with your timing. I generally don't play unranked so seeing it in competitive play sucks when you haven't practiced on it.

Just a new map to learn is all, but right now it sucks lol. Maybe a couple months from now everyone will get the hang of it.

Flunkie

Banned
When you memorize the layout of the base maps, playing Wasteland can fuck with your timing. I generally don't play unranked so seeing it in competitive play sucks when you haven't practiced on it.

Just a new map to learn is all, but right now it sucks lol. Maybe a couple months from now everyone will get the hang of it.

Already kinda getting the hang of it. Jumping off the ground on the sides requires some skill to account for the slope and height difference.

Ocho

I'm not sure how that will help. I've played it well over 100 times already!

Even if I play it 100 times again it'll still be terribly balanced. It's an awful RL map and if people actually want to play it they should have the option to do so. To force such a map on everyone is bad idea.

How can it be terribly balanced if it's symmetrical lol? Unless you mean it actually is unbalanced/sloped...

I quickly learned how to abuse the map and how it works in corners particularly. Once you get hold of that it's no big deal imo.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What is this shit?

rl_brokenejqk9.jpg

Servers dead AGAIN? Seems to be happening every other day now. Not amused.

How can it be terribly balanced if it's symmetrical lol? Unless you mean it actually is unbalanced/sloped...

I quickly learned how to abuse the map and how it works in corners particularly. Once you get hold of that it's no big deal imo.

The bounces of the ball are irregular as it is already, adding more random shit doesn't make it better.

As I said, if people want to play it, they should be able to do that, but to force everyone to play it is a bad idea.

Soulflarz

Banned
Wasteland in ranked isn't too bad, because it brings us closer to Utopia Classic in ranked, the best map for ranked and a show of skill™

I played some matches with DunderHassan yesterday, that was fun! A bit frustrating, too (I think I've never sucked so bad...had a rough day before...but he was really good and dragged me along. :D) Felt cool to experience slightly higher quality ranked matches. I've definitely got some training to do.

Got into this game a couple days ago. Love how short the matches are. It helps push that "just one more round" feeling.

Any tips for a newcomer?

Play a season against the computer on Semi-pro. Don't bother with Rookie as you don't learn much, if you want to train a bit in real match scenarios.

You will also unlock new cars etc. Also don't forget the Neogaf flag!

That and training helped me. Not played many matches online recently however so need to brush up myself

You can load up Training while searching for online matches. Helps for warm up and practicing things.

don't beat yourself up if you feel you're struggling early on.. find cool people to play with

Play a season against the computer on Semi-pro. Don't bother with Rookie as you don't learn much, if you want to train a bit in real match scenarios.

You will also unlock new cars etc. Also don't forget the Neogaf flag!

That and training helped me. Not played many matches online recently however so need to brush up myself

Thanks!

J. Bravo

I can show you a pretty good kickoff later if you're on. Also I think low5ive did a kickoff tutorial video. Wall hits just go into free play and hit the ball up the wall and experiment. Also watch kuxir.

Soulflarz

Banned
I can show you a pretty good kickoff later if you're on. Also I think low5ive did a kickoff tutorial video. Wall hits just go into free play and hit the ball up the wall and experiment. Also watch kuxir.

Yeaah I've seen the tutorials, it's moreso I mistime it, or perhaps I'm at the wrong position?
Also I let go of circle as i jump rip
(Feel free to look at it later, I only have my ps4 for spring break though, no pc RL)

And will do on the other two!

Re: link, thanks, will look at :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom