• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
haha I can't believe Psyonix was able to do the impossible

What's next? Are they going to get a RL-themed Xbox bundle where the system has the power brick built in? Are they going to get a RL-themed Windows phone that sells as well as the competitors?

World Peace will be declared at a global Rocket League tournament

RoadHazard

Gold Member

That's awesome! A larger player base is a good thing for everyone. Are MS finally easing up on this stuff (perhaps realizing that refusing to allow it doesn't really achieve anything except screw Xbox players over), or is this a special case in the face of this game's smashing success and popularity? Would look pretty bad if they keep saying no to other devs that want to do the same after this, no?

EDIT: Oh, it's actually a new Xbox-wide policy. Very good.

EDIT 2: Oh, PSN/XBL cross-play isn't actually happening, at least not right now. I guess people on Steam will randomly be matched with either PSN or XBL players then? So that makes this good news for XBL and Steam players, less so for PSN players (since XBL will "steal" a bunch of our Steam competitors). Still, overall this is good. Let's hope they eventually get all the way to that hot network threeway we all want.

This was literally my experience yesterday. I couldn't line up my shots. I kept missing saves and blocks. Maybe I need to retweak my camera settings. It was incredibly frustrating.

I tweaked them already. Today everything should be smooth again.

Here is a gif of a goal I made a few days ago:
giphy.gif

I like it because it was actually kinda planned that way, haha.

I tweaked them already. Today everything should be smooth again.

Here is a gif of a goal I made a few days ago:
giphy.gif

I like it because it was actually kinda planned that way, haha.

I just played a game during lunch and scored 5 out of our 6 goals (in ranked doubles, which is my go-to).

Insane how much better I played today.

imBask

Banned
Why do the trash talkers refuse to 1v1 me? If you're gonna talk shit about your teammates back it up bro.

I'll trash talk the other team every once in a while if I sense that one of them is an easy bait and I might get him off his game

I never shit on my teammates though, that's just pathetic

Soulflarz

Banned
This is all I've ever wanted from this game.

Same, because I still have to switch to my ps4 to play with irl friends and switch back to my PC to play with everyone else.

Why do the trash talkers refuse to 1v1 me? If you're gonna talk shit about your teammates back it up bro.
1s=/=2s
My friend can nearly beat me in 1s, hes a trash 2s partner, doesn't know how to center for his life.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Same, because I still have to switch to my ps4 to play with irl friends and switch back to my PC to play with everyone else.

1s=/=2s
My friend can nearly beat me in 1s, hes a trash 2s partner, doesn't know how to center for his life.
Perhaps, but the point is if you're gonna talk shit you shouldn't back down from a challenge like that. Preferably people just wouldn't talk shit but there you go.

But in any case, the guy was in no way a better team player than me.

Also it was 3s and he was talking shit to our other partner too.

i'm psyched that i can finally get to play this with my xbone friend, but...one thing that I remember is that you can't even party with PC (if you're on Ps4). is there not gonna be parties when full crossplay is implemented?

i'm psyched that i can finally get to play this with my xbone friend, but...one thing that I remember is that you can't even party with PC (if you're on Ps4). is there not gonna be parties when full crossplay is implemented?

Doubtful. The would need to create their own network for that to be possible.

Pepiope

Perhaps, but the point is if you're gonna talk shit you shouldn't back down from a challenge like that. Preferably people just wouldn't talk shit but there you go.

But in any case, the guy was in no way a better team player than me.

Also it was 3s and he was talking shit to our other partner too.
Ignore them. Those type of people are usually the worst on the team. Just laugh it off.

Hasney

That's awesome! A larger player base is a good thing for everyone. Are MS finally easing up on this stuff (perhaps realizing that refusing to allow it doesn't really achieve anything except screw Xbox players over), or is this a special case in the face of this game's smashing success and popularity? Would look pretty bad if they keep saying no to other devs that want to do the same after this, no?

EDIT: Oh, it's actually a new Xbox-wide policy. Very good.

EDIT 2: Oh, PSN/XBL cross-play isn't actually happening, at least not right now. I guess people on Steam will randomly be matched with either PSN or XBL players then? So that makes this good news for XBL and Steam players, less so for PSN players (since XBL will "steal" a bunch of our Steam competitors). Still, overall this is good. Let's hope they eventually get all the way to that hot network threeway we all want.

Wonder if it's a technical reason, or Sony haven't given the go ahead to blay with XB1 yet. Even if they allow it in some cases, it still might need to be approved on a case by case basis.

or an in-game friend system?

That is actually an insane amount of work because you need to build your own network for that, then get voice chat working over that while allowing the party system of the console to still work because there mandatory.

Just hook a headset to your phone or laptop and Skype it up if it's important.

Soulflarz

Banned
Literally me in opposite fashion. I'm great at 2v2, but usually get thrashed by any mid-to-high-level 1v1 player.

Same. I can set anything up in rising star (which is what I'm at currently, still relatively going up when I play) which means I'm a great teammate if you can shoot on center/read when to shoot.

But...1s? Hah. Learning how to center perfectly and over the opponents doesn't help in 1s too much >_>

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Same. I can set anything up in rising star (which is what I'm at currently, still relatively going up when I play) which means I'm a great teammate if you can shoot on center/read when to shoot.

But...1s? Hah. Learning how to center perfectly and over the opponents doesn't help in 1s too much >_>
That used to be me until I started to try to learn how to dribble. Drive around in free play just doing nothing other than trying to control the ball on top of your car. A good thing to practice actually is go in to aerial training on all star but instead of going for the shot, wait for the ball to come down and attempt to drive the ball to the goal on top I you car without it touching the ground.

Do that a lot and it jus improves your overall close control of the ball. The thing is, that absolutely makes you a better player in team games too. Gives you more options.

That used to be me until I started to try to learn how to dribble. Drive around in free play just doing nothing other than trying to control the ball on top of your car. A good thing to practice actually is go in to aerial training on all star but instead of going for the shot, wait for the ball to come down and attempt to drive the ball to the goal on top I you car without it touching the ground.

Do that a lot and it jus improves your overall close control of the ball. The thing is, that absolutely makes you a better player in team games too. Gives you more options.

Good stuff. I might just try a good 30-45 min. free play session tonight.

good sugs bro

AcridMeat

Banned
I had a really bad phase yesterday. I missed everything by a few centimetres and played like I was drugged.

Felt so bad! :-(

I really hope I'm back to normal today, haha. Going to try later today. Do you guys have this problem, sometimes? It's not often that I play like trash for a whole evening but when I do, I hate it! My buddy I played with did well at the same time. *grumpy*
This was me last night, maybe it was a bug going around. :p
Wow that's fucking awesome. This game/devs just keeps getting better.

Soulflarz

Banned
the higher i move through brackets, the more i want to quit. people seem to be assholes way more and it just saps the fun out of trying

It goes
Prospect- Casual, we dont mind you
Challenger- Cesspool, rot in hell, you're the reason I lost
Anything higher- Yo, it's cool, minor error and all, obviously you didn't get this far doing that daily anyways (9-12)

It goes
Prospect- Casual, we dont mind you
Challenger- Cesspool, rot in hell, you're the reason I lost
Anything higher- Yo, it's cool, minor error and all, obviously you didn't get this far doing that daily anyways (9-12)

I'm in shooting star, and I've got dudes claiming I'm boosted and that I'm trash and always point me out. I know I make mistakes but it can't possibly be me all the time :/

But that would rely on their own network still.

Confusing or difficult is a different question- I'm not a programmer by any means, so I can't tell you that, but yes, it is extra work for them.

That is actually an insane amount of work because you need to build your own network for that, then get voice chat working over that while allowing the party system of the console to still work because there mandatory.

I don't know if it makes me sound insane but I'd get a "rocket league: crossplay edition" if it meant the best-case scenario of crossplay. in game friends list so you can party up with (in my case) xbone friends and PC friends.

it's that worth it to me.

Wonder if it's a technical reason, or Sony haven't given the go ahead to blay with XB1 yet. Even if they allow it in some cases, it still might need to be approved on a case by case basis.

It's up to Sony now.
"We were prodding everyone all the time," Jeremy Dunham, the studio's vice president, told Mashable.

"Today is the first day that anyone outside of Psyonix and Microsoft is aware of this," he said. "So obviously Sony is still getting as much information as they can and understanding the situation before they can really talk about it."

Dunham — and the rest of Psyonix — remains optimistic. He spoke glowingly of how Sony's always been a "good partner." There are just questions that need to be answered.

"The main process is now we have to talk about it," Dunham said.

"We have to discuss what [cross-platform play] means, what the implications are for PlayStation Network users and what the implications are in terms of the existing security protocols. Very similar to what happened with Microsoft and our long discussions with them."

Now, those discussions need to happen all over again, with Sony.

"We understand that Sony's got to evaluate everything that this means for them," Dunham said. "This is the first time in history that this is even a legitimate possibility for anybody. So we understand that it's going to take some discussion, but we're also really optimistic." More at link

And regarding what you said about the work it's true and they have also said not only is building the network hard they would also have to hire people full time to keep it running and they aren't that big of a studio.

They need a serious punishment for AFKers in ranked, a 15 minute ban clearly not enough because I'm getting people AFK every other match, sometimes several in a row.

They also need void any ranking penalty for the loss that obviously follows 90% of the time, just gone down 2 ranks since 7 of last 10 games had an AFKer.

Soulflarz

Banned
They need a serious punishment for AFKers in ranked, a 15 minute ban clearly not enough because I'm getting people AFK every other match, sometimes several in a row.

They also need void any ranking penalty for the loss that obviously follows 90% of the time, just gone down 2 ranks since 7 of last 10 games had an AFKer.

Yeah no, this is a borderline terrible idea because of the implications.
AFKing is very rare compared to what you're saying, I haven't seen one in the past week and I've played a good 15+ hours, no way you're at a multiple over 50x my rate.

Regardless of that, voiding your loss is kind of pointless, it's like saying void a match because my teammate isn't as good as me or such, it devalues rank. If you're on a smurf, what's to stop you from telling your friend to not move, then you win the game? It's free painless wins. The other implication is a result of the other team not being barred from gaining points for the match - which we can all agree is reasonable and fair. In these systems, you can't have a point increase without point loss, or everyone would just MMR grind by a gentleman rule.

TL;DR This doesn't work in a ranking system and there's no way that AFK number is accurate/not greatly exaggerated.

Ocho

TL;DR This doesn't work in a ranking system and there's no way that AFK number is accurate/not greatly exaggerated.

Like in most ranked games, AFK and match quitting vary greatly depending on the rank you're playing at. Usually people try harder the higher you are ranked, so experiences can vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom