• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepiope

Coming to the realization that I will never make it out of silver in any division. 500 hours+ and I'm just not good enough to beat people consistently enough to move up. Lose ever other game. Pro people taking me to overtime. I'm just not good at videogames. Same thing happened in CSGO played 600+ hours and would bottom frag every game till it got so stressful I quit. I think I've hit my mediocre 35 year old peak in competitive gaming and it fucking sucks.
Even at 500+ hours you'll still get better with practice. I'm still getting better and I'm around the same hour mark. I always try to do some all-star training while waiting for a game, and solo duels when I feel I'm playing too inconsistently.

Even at 500+ hours you'll still get better with practice. I'm still getting better and I'm around the same hour mark. I always try to do some all-star training while waiting for a game, and solo duels when I feel I'm playing too inconsistently.

I'm just a very slow learner with a ton of performance anxiety. If I do manage to win a game it's so stressful I don't even want to play anymore. I do okay in casual cause I don't give a shit but when ranked starts up the nerves do as well and I play worse and worse.

Pepiope

I'm just a very slow learner with a ton of performance anxiety. If I do manage to win a game it's so stressful I don't even want to play anymore. I do okay in casual cause I don't give a shit but when ranked starts up the nerves do as well and I play worse and worse.
You have to learn to not give a shit in ranked lol. Take the losses as things to learn from and build on, and go from there.

As long as it's wg (well gamed, well played + good game, everyone should say it), then it's okay.

Lazulic

As long as it's wg (well gamed, well played + good game, everyone should say it)
sneaky

best way to get better in terms of aerials and hard shots is free play, but most people below champion have serious problems with positioning and reaction speed. the biggest difference between stars and champions is theyre too slow to react to aerials or bounces on the corner, and take shots they have no chance of making leaving a wide open goal when (surprise) the enemy beats you to it.

im ranting to nobody. i just think people who practice tricky shit over the basics will never get anywhere. seriously just hit the ball off the wall on free play and try to react to it as quickly as you can. learn to make quick conversions. make meaningful hits. youll improve.

J. Bravo

sneaky

best way to get better in terms of aerials and hard shots is free play, but most people below champion have serious problems with positioning and reaction speed. the biggest difference between stars and champions is theyre too slow to react to aerials or bounces on the corner, and take shots they have no chance of making leaving a wide open goal when (surprise) the enemy beats you to it.

im ranting to nobody. i just think people who practice tricky shit over the basics will never get anywhere. seriously just hit the ball off the wall on free play and try to react to it as quickly as you can. learn to make quick conversions. make meaningful hits. youll improve.
I think I'm slightly above average at rocket league, but when I play with you guys it's ridiculous. I'm pretty fast but against actual pros or whatever I'm not. Maybe I'm actually just bad! Lmao

imBask

Banned
sneaky

No lies detected, solid post

Pepiope

I loved this goal.

https://giant.gfycat.com/YearlyImmediateBug.webm

sneaky

And if free play gets boring, I've played 1v4 with the bots. That's all about aerials, positioning, good clears, and consistent hard shots.

Lazulic

And if free play gets boring, I've played 1v4 with the bots. That's all about aerials, positioning, good clears, and consistent hard shots.

something we were doing before esl (the week you were gone) and in between games is to play 2 on 1, 1 person defending staying near or in goal and the other 2 taking shots on the defender. on the attackers side its great practice for making precise shots on goals to where a defender might whiff, getting quick rebounds, outplaying defenders mentally, or refining pass play. when defending, it makes you think about where the ball can go and how you can best defend it, and where a good clear can be made. good defending against high pressure can carry a game, and you can really demoralize a team thats constantly on the offensive and cant get a point off you.

we should try it this weekend (if i get back in time). miss playing.

sneaky

This, so much. Guy I played with in doubles ranked last night had three open goal chances and missed all three because he tried an aerial or dribble trick and whiffed on the ball when a nice hard but boring shot would have did the job.

Pepiope

something we were doing before esl (the week you were gone) and in between games is to play 2 on 1, 1 person defending staying near or in goal and the other 2 taking shots on the defender. on the attackers side its great practice for making precise shots on goals to where a defender might whiff, getting quick rebounds, outplaying defenders mentally, or refining pass play. when defending, it makes you think about where the ball can go and how you can best defend it, and where a good clear can be made. good defending against high pressure can carry a game, and you can really demoralize a team thats constantly on the offensive and cant get a point off you.

we should try it this weekend (if i get back in time). miss playing.
Yeah that sounds like a great idea. It would be nice to have a few plays set up when two of us are charging up on offense.

Soulflarz

Banned
sneaky

Can confirm

I learned silly backwards aerials and stuff before I learned how to do some basic centers that work well at any level.

You can guess which one got me into gold.

Lazulic

Can confirm

I learned silly backwards aerials and stuff before I learned how to do some basic centers that work well at any level.

You can guess which one got me into gold.

90% of montage goals are made on bad defending. it makes you talented in one department, but doesnt necessarily make you a good player.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Stats site now also tracks Xbox One.

TheKeyPit.png

lord pie

I've come to the conclusion that raw skill won't get you very far in RL. It's all about positioning yourself in relation to your team and picking your shots. Even if you are having a bad day you'll still do well.

Predicting what will happen so you can pick your shots, instead of just trying to hit everything as most players do. And above all being aware of where your teammates are and what they are doing.

That either means having everyone rotate or fill a role and stick with it. For example, if you are back and there is risk of a breakaway then only attack if a teammate is coming back to fill your spot. Too often teams will just crowd the ball fighting each other for shots.

Make a habit of not exhausting your boost when attacking, as attack can easily turn into a desperate retreat. I *regularly* find that even when I'm the last to attack the ball on our team and they get a breakaway I'm still first back in goal.

My rule is if I'm attacking and I either get disorientated or ahead of the ball then I immediately turn around to rotate back into a defensive position so I can better assess where everyone is and where I need to be. As tempting as it is to wildly hit the ball, I find this is almost always the best option.

Nothing more satisfying than going up to defend a shot on goal and having a team mate instantly rotate in to fill your spot. Or nailing a centre knowing your teammate is in the perfect position.

And nothing more frustrating than thinking you are middle, missing a return shot then finding out in the inevitable replay your teammate was right behind you because they were trying to hit your shot too.

vixlar

I've come to the conclusion that raw skill won't get you very far in RL. It's all about positioning yourself in relation to your team and picking your shots. Even if you are having a bad day you'll still do well.

Predicting what will happen so you can pick your shots, instead of just trying to hit everything as most players do. And above all being aware of where your teammates are and what they are doing.

That either means having everyone rotate or fill a role and stick with it. For example, if you are back and there is risk of a breakaway then only attack if a teammate is coming back to fill your spot. Too often teams will just crowd the ball fighting each other for shots.

Make a habit of not exhausting your boost when attacking, as attack can easily turn into a desperate retreat. I *regularly* find that even when I'm the last to attack the ball on our team and they get a breakaway I'm still first back in goal.

My rule is if I'm attacking and I either get disorientated or ahead of the ball then I immediately turn around to rotate back into a defensive position so I can better assess where everyone is and where I need to be. As tempting as it is to wildly hit the ball, I find this is almost always the best option.

Nothing more satisfying than going up to defend a shot on goal and having a team mate instantly rotate in to fill your spot. Or nailing a centre knowing your teammate is in the perfect position.

And nothing more frustrating than thinking you are middle, missing a return shot then finding out in the inevitable replay your teammate was right behind you because they were trying to hit your shot too.

This is one of the best strategies I could recommend to anyone.

Something I could add:

Play as a team. Watch your teammates. Someone tries to always get the shot? Let him go, for the ball and go to the center, is very likely to leave the ball on a good position for a strike. Learn your defense. Maybe you must stand in the back row. But being defensive doesn't mean to stay at your own goal. If your team is attacking, the center field is a good area. The moment you see your team lose control of the ball return to goalie position. Maybe you can strike that center that no one could. I enjoy winning, but I really enjoy when my team is coordinated and teammates get the idea fo their own positions.

Agreed, though I'd have to say that sometimes I take my eye off the ball to see where everyone is and end up with a weak shot/hit. Kind of like tennis (or hockey and soccer, of course), I'm trying to get a handle on the situation early and then re-focus on the ball and my car right before I hit it. Looking the ball into my car has helped my aerials immensely, but is useful for just about any hit.

J. Bravo

Kuxir used to be all raw skill, as in he tried to play the game from the walls lmao. Even his teammate m1k3rules said his understanding of the game is trash.

He's actually one of the sarp veterans that I've watched enough to be able to say he's gotten better rather than stagnating. His positioning is much much better now

Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting this on ps4. This got already released on ps+ right? How are the servers?
Yeah was released on PS+ the month it came out, so back to full price now. Servers are great though, haven't had any issues and there is cross platform play with PC so population still seems pretty healthy.

Want to play Rocket League with other GAF members? Sign up for the RocketGAF PS4/Steam lists!

QUOTE THIS POST TO GET THE LINKS IN ORDER TO SIGN-UP
(They are hidden inside the post in email tags)

PSN ID List
Steam List

PS4 Users: Alternatively, you can add ROCKETLEAGUE-GAF to your friends lists, and then add its friends to your friends list! (Thanks OccamsLightsaber!)

Did a mistake or want to be removed from a list? PM me.

I'm sorry, not sure i understand how this works. Is there a way to add the whole of rocket league gaf to my friends list or do i need to go one by one?

EDIT: I signed up myself to the form, that I have solved!

My username is wearafrown by the way, if anybody wants to add me! :)

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I went from shooting star division 5 to shooting star division 1 in a day in doubles. Haven't played this badly in some time. And I wasn't smart enough to fucking stop playing.

Soulflarz

Banned
Want to play Rocket League with other GAF members? Sign up for the RocketGAF PS4/Steam lists!

QUOTE THIS POST TO GET THE LINKS IN ORDER TO SIGN-UP
(They are hidden inside the post in email tags)

PSN ID List
Steam List

PS4 Users: Alternatively, you can add ROCKETLEAGUE-GAF to your friends lists, and then add its friends to your friends list! (Thanks OccamsLightsaber!)

Did a mistake or want to be removed from a list? PM me.

Signed up, thanks!

Hey guys, I think I've encountered a bug. Since a few hours now, I am not able to turbo boost all the way dieing the kick off. I mean that when the game starts and I press circle, my car boosts but stops boosting before the gauger is depleted. This happens now every time and it's really annoying. Had anybody had this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom