• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
This matchmaking for ranked feels totally broken. Grabbed it on PS4 too recently and am hovering around prospect elite yet I'm getting matched with people way more skilled than I usually find on my account on PC at challenger ranks. Not to mention I'm semi-pro on ps4 and ending up lumped in with experts, vets and even masters.

Hasney

This matchmaking for ranked feels totally broken. Grabbed it on PS4 too recently and am hovering around prospect elite yet I'm getting matched with people way more skilled than I usually find on my account on PC at challenger ranks. Not to mention I'm semi-pro on ps4 and ending up lumped in with experts, vets and even masters.

The expert/Vet rank is meaningless. Has no bearing on skill and is therefore not taken into account for matchmaking.

Played some ranked doubles tonight. I'm not that good, Challenger II rank. Anyway, I played 6 matches and 4 of them featured opponents who either told me I suck, told me to kill myself, or called me various racial slurs.

Seems like every time I sent a "gg" I got an "f u" back, win or lose.

I just don't understand it, I love playing this game but the community is just awful. I used to play with text chat set to "Quick Chat Only" but I figured I'd set it to allow all just to see if I run across some actual decent people.

Nope.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Can't, hw.

That's when someone can't connect, it's intended. It gives them buffer time to connect. Sometimes people take 10/15s to connect so they need the buffer.

I know that's what it's intended to do, but again, it never works. I have literally not seen it happen once, and I have hundreds of hours in this game. And it's not just me, because every time a match starts in this state everyone's all "Nooo!", "Close one!", etc. They know the match is fucked, and they're invariably right.

DD

Played some ranked doubles tonight. I'm not that good, Challenger II rank. Anyway, I played 6 matches and 4 of them featured opponents who either told me I suck, told me to kill myself, or called me various racial slurs.

I just don't understand it, I love playing this game but the community is just awful. I used to play with text chat set to "Quick Chat Only" but I figured I'd set it to allow all just to see if I run across some actual decent people.

Nope.
These kinds of people can harass you even with quick chat only. Bunch of idiots. I report most of them.

Bollocks

Love how you score all the goals for your team, make clutch saves basically carry your team to OT only to get shit talked by double digit teammates because that 1 time you miss a save.

Honestly, i haven't encountered much trash talk at all, i was expecting it to be way way worse in a game of this nature. The most i got was "u suk " and it was actually deserved lol

Shadybiz

Nope.

Yep, I just have quick chat on. You get your quick chat spammers here and there, but it's far better than looking at the homophobic and racist stuff that I've seen come through on "free chat" or whatever it's called. Since I can't say "gg", I just use "Close One" at the end of the match, and hope they know what I'm trying to say.

Soulflarz

Banned
I know that's what it's intended to do, but again, it never works. I have literally not seen it happen once, and I have hundreds of hours in this game. And it's not just me, because every time a match starts in this state everyone's all "Nooo!", "Close one!", etc. They know the match is fucked, and they're invariably right.

Yes. They know it's probably going to end. That still shouldn't be removed, since sometimes someone joins very late in.
It's not a feature, it's a safeguard. Most games don't allow you to cancel a match and would instead just have you play a man down. The alternative you're suggesting is the small amount of people who do take a long time to connect can't play the game at all, which is unfair to them.

Honestly, i haven't encountered much trash talk at all, i was expecting it to be way way worse in a game of this nature. The most i got was "u suk " and it was actually deserved lol

It depends on the people. If you control yourself and only quickchat to be nice or never call your teammate out vs actively being passive aggressive, the difference in responses are night and day.

I was playing doubles when my teammate abandoned but managed to keep up with the other two so one of them got angry and also left. The rest of the match was a super intense 1v1 but in the end i won by scoring on literally the last second. Getting better albeit really slowly and getting my ass kicked quite often.

The expert/Vet rank is meaningless. Has no bearing on skill and is therefore not taken into account for matchmaking.

Yeah I get that but it's just kind of odd that on Prospect Elite on PS4 I'm finding much better players than on Challenger ranks on PC when I'm getting matchmade with the same player base. The only factor I can think of is the player pool must be smaller at the times I tend to go on my PS4 and end up with only the dedicated hardcore players.

Bollocks

ffs why do you play ranked if you forfeit with 2 goals down and 3m to go?
sure enough said player doesn't move anymore, we still manage to score a goal, "Nice Shot!", great he's back, lets do this.
Nope, still not moving, he quits. why....?

Asshats are strong on the servers today.

5-1 and 3 of the five wins were people dropping because the match wasn't going their way.

People obviously don't play to learn and get better. Sheesh.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Just when I think I'm getting pretty good after getting a few MVPs in a row, I proceed to get my ass handed to me several times in a row. D:

ffs why do you play ranked if you forfeit with 2 goals down and 3m to go?
sure enough said player doesn't move anymore, we still manage to score a goal, "Nice Shot!", great he's back, lets do this.
Nope, still not moving, he quits. why....?
I figured that would happen to me, too. Instead, the two guys who voted to forfeit in my game yesterday continued to play when I didn't join their vote.

We had just gone down two goals (1-3) with less than a minute to play. Immediately on the next kickoff, our opponents decide to get boost and leave a free shot where one of my teammates puts it top shelf right over their goalie to make it 2-3. After an epic save by my other teammate, I take the ball down the wall and score between two opponents with 19 seconds left to tie it 3-3.

At that point, I was so tempted to throw up a sarcastic forfeit, but it seemed pointless since I'm sure they understood. I'm glad I didn't, because with 6 seconds left my teammate that got the kickoff goal hit the ball down the side, rose up between two hapless defenders and angled a shot from just past midfield directly into the near side of the goal before the third guy could get there. 4-3. Redemption.

I didn't have to say anything after that. Just some gg's all around and the satisfaction knowing two more guys know not to forfeit when you're only two goals down. Wasn't even my best comeback, but maybe the most satisfying.

Grinchy

Banned
My favorite random teammate is the guy who whiffs the whole game and then spams "Wow!" when you miss for the first time.

I can not for the life of me hit high bounce balls on the move! Gah it's so frustrating as i can only play in Ball Cam and trying to pull down the camera with the right stick as i move screws me up every single time! Any tips Gaf Pros?

I can not for the life of me hit high bounce balls on the move! Gah it's so frustrating as i can only play in Ball Cam and trying to pull down the camera with the right stick as i move screws me up every single time! Any tips Gaf Pros?

Same here, i don't even try anymore and just keep my distance for the rebound but when these happen close to the goal it's always a waste.

Are you guys trying to hit the ball in the air near its peak or on the way down or as it lands (?) The mention of pulling the camera down has me confused as if the ball suddenly bounced up high I just stay in ballcam and fly up to meet it... but if you are messing with the camera this sounds more like you are trying to track the white circle on the ground / get your bearings first before going up for the ball?

If it's just you are driving and the ball suddenly pops up high in the air and with ballcam on are suddenly staring at the ball and the ceiling and having trouble flying up to it, I suggest practicing all star goalie -- the shots where it lobs the ball high up over your goal. You can drive out of the net a little to simulate being on the move before taking off and pull back harder on the stick to take off at a steeper angle to account for the forward momentum.

To expand on what fiction said, be aware that your momentum significantly affects your aerial. If you're going fast and try to jump and aerial for a ball that suddenly pops up, there's a good chance you might miss and fly underneath it. Instead slow down, orient your car to where the ball will be when you get there, and then take off. You can also jump and boost at the same time.

If you end up boosting too high, or feel like you're going too vertical, you can push the nose of your car down--either more parallel to the ground to get more forward momentum in the air or angled more downward if you're flying up too high or want to shoot downward. Again, be mindful of your momentum and direction or you're going to waste a lot of boost correcting your course.

Soulflarz

Banned
To expand on what fiction said, be aware that your momentum significantly affects your aerial. If you're going fast and try to jump and aerial for a ball that suddenly pops up, there's a good chance you might miss and fly underneath it. Instead slow down, orient your car to where the ball will be when you get there, and then take off. You can also jump and boost at the same time.

If you end up boosting too high, or feel like you're going too vertical, you can push the nose of your car down--either more parallel to the ground to get more forward momentum in the air or angled more downward if you're flying up too high or want to shoot downward. Again, be mindful of your momentum and direction or you're going to waste a lot of boost correcting your course.

This
Learning slow aerials is the key to learning fast aerials
Or something. You can't be landing silly aerials if you can't land a basic one though.

As for momentum, I tried to keep that static while I learned. Once I got that consistently, I started to do better ones.

Grinchy

Banned
I understand why Psyonix is going after the sites that are letting people see their MMR, but I do wish there was some official way to track your unranked MMR.

When you PC registered for the RLCS what did you put in the Steam ID field?

CfO3WhTUUAE5pwq.jpg

Grinchy

Banned
What sites let you see it?

There's a handful of them but I think Psyonix is against the idea so I won't link to them directly. Probably easy to find, though.

I get that having some kind of tracking for unranked kinda defeats the purpose since it becomes almost just another form of ranked. It's just that on the other hand, seeing improvement over time in unranked is cool too.

Tawpgun

I think it has the same issue, conceptually, of full field soccer 1 v 1.

It's based on a lot of luck and relying on your opponent making a mistake. One bad bounce and you can be left in the dust with an empty net. I know some of you think thats part of the skill, and in a way that's true but I hate that type of gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom