• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
I've been playing Rocket League for months and I wanna know if i'm actually good at the game or not. And if I am good, how good am I? Am I average? Above average? Bad?

-I've played 452 games and have scored 601 goals (965 shots) with an avergage of 1.3 goals per match and a "shooting percentage" of 62%.

-Of the 452 games, i've won 246 of them. 54.4% winning percentage

-I've been MVP 135 times. Meaning that i've been mvp in 54% of my team's wins and 30% overall (rounded off from 29.8).

-I've recorded 193 assists and 146 saves. 0.43 per and 0.32 per respectively.

So how do I stack up? I know that the objective is just to have fun, which i'm doing, but this is a sport.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Stats mean little. Or at least it's not something easy to look at and judge. Just play ranked until you each a point where you're not moving up anymore at least not at a very fast rate. Tell us what rank that is and then we can tell you how you compare.

The thing about stats like that is also that it doesn't take in to account how much you've improved over time. How you play now against the players you're being matched with now is how you judge your skill.

Soulflarz

Banned

A better idea is how much time you've put into the game vs your ranks. Your ranks might not be the most accurate thing, but I know for example I'm blue and I can lazily get to challenger elite off carrying when I start a new account at say, a friends or such, unless it's 1s, where I'm just out of blues.

But yeah, win percentage/shot percentage doesn't mean that much, since the system is designed to make it a lot harder if you win a ton, giving you more losses.

Stats mean little. Or at least it's not something easy to look at and judge. Just play ranked until you each a point where you're not moving up anymore at least not at a very fast rate. Tell us what rank that is and then we can tell you how you compare.

The thing about stats like that is also that it doesn't take in to account how much you've improved over time. How you play now against the players you're being matched with now is how you judge your skill.

Basically this.

Also, I despise how low ranks use your scores as accurate indicators of who contributed the most, since low ranks generally don't rotate so anyone who knows rotation knows charging the ball for a potential goal is risking giving your opponent a goal because your teammates aren't getting back at all. I win plenty in 3s solo at the moment, but generally am towards the bottom of the list with a disproportionate amount of saves as a result.

GeeTeeCee

I keep running into the same player week after week in unranked, who will always quit a match when the other team scores a goal, regardless of the current score.

Losing 1-0? Quit.
Winning 5-1? Quit.

What is going on?

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.

A better idea is how much time you've put into the game vs your ranks. Your ranks might not be the most accurate thing, but I know for example I'm blue and I can lazily get to challenger elite off carrying when I start a new account at say, a friends or such, unless it's 1s, where I'm just out of blues.

But yeah, win percentage/shot percentage doesn't mean that much, since the system is designed to make it a lot harder if you win a ton, giving you more losses.

Basically this.

Also, I despise how low ranks use your scores as accurate indicators of who contributed the most, since low ranks generally don't rotate so anyone who knows rotation knows charging the ball for a potential goal is risking giving your opponent a goal because your teammates aren't getting back at all. I win plenty in 3s solo at the moment, but generally am towards the bottom of the list with a disproportionate amount of saves as a result.

Thanks guys!

Unain

Getting really annoyed in ranked lately.
I have to win at least 5 games in a row before I go up a division. But when I lose 1 match I go down a division.
My MMR is just broken atm. I was Rising Star (division 5), but dropped down to Challenger Elite.

Ever since I dropped into Challenger Elite I've been losing every game with 1 goal difference too. I've been cursed. Hard to stay positive this way.

I don't really agree with using time vs ranks. I've played for over 400 hours, but the vast majority of that has been in unranked. And much of my limited ranked play has been spread out over time since launch. So I'm not sure what that says about my level of play.

Also, one of the reasons you can so easily rank up with a new account is that your sigma is quite high in the beginning. The more you win, the higher MMR opponents you'll get compared to others that have been long in the same rank. Those higher level opponents will still be easily beaten since you're on a new account, but you'll get a lot of points out of those wins. So I'm not sure if that's a good way to look at your skill level. Though perhaps it does give you a general idea of your "floor."

I do wish they had more advanced stats, broken down by playlist and over how many ever recent games. I know Dirkened has mentioned it to the team, so I'm hopeful it'll come in one of the next couple of updates.

Soulflarz

Banned
I don't really agree with using time vs ranks. I've played for over 400 hours, but the vast majority of that has been in unranked. And much of my limited ranked play has been spread out over time since launch. So I'm not sure what that says about my level of play.

Also, one of the reasons you can so easily rank up with a new account is that your sigma is quite high in the beginning. The more you win, the higher MMR opponents you'll get compared to others that have been long in the same rank. Those higher level opponents will still be easily beaten since you're on a new account, but you'll get a lot of points out of those wins. So I'm not sure if that's a good way to look at your skill level. Though perhaps it does give you a general idea of your "floor."

I do wish they had more advanced stats, broken down by playlist and over how many ever recent games. I know Dirkened has mentioned it to the team, so I'm hopeful it'll come in one of the next couple of updates.

I'm well aware of how sigma and mu work, and yes, getting on a smurf account and seeing where you start to lose and win instead of consistently winning is a decent idea of where you'll end up-- this does have a bit of luck to it, I must agree with you, since if you decide to play with randoms you can get screwed over.

Plus there are all sorts of assists, saves and whatnot that never count as such. Which is always fun when you lose, have only 200 points and get blamed for the loss, despite being the only one to make any saves or get the ball in scoring position, which teammates failed to capitalise on, so of course almost no points for it.

rafaelr

NA DEFENSE Kappa

Crazy games so far. Game 5 is about to start.

wow, at the time of your post it was 2:16 a.m. here. would´ve loved to see the whole thing but that´s just way too late if you have to work the next day. hopefully they can either shorten the event a bit or start about an hour earlier.

Soulflarz

Banned
Plus there are all sorts of assists, saves and whatnot that never count as such. Which is always fun when you lose, have only 200 points and get blamed for the loss, despite being the only one to make any saves or get the ball in scoring position, which teammates failed to capitalise on, so of course almost no points for it.

This, so much. I can't tell you the amount of times I've been at half my teammates score because he doesn't know how to pass so I'm just playing defensively and setting him up.
A win is a win, I don't care how many points you got, as a rule of thumb. Positioning/playstyle kills individual execution...since what good is execution if you won't rotate back and let me challenge potential goals?

Majukun

I'm by no means a gret player,but the amount of people unable to play as a team online is way too high for a game with such simple rules..seems like the only way to advance in the rankings is having a group of teammates you know and play with them most of the time because you are bound to find a couple of teammates that have no idea what they are doing

or maybe i'm just unlucky with the matchmaking

I'm well aware of how sigma and mu work, and yes, getting on a smurf account and seeing where you start to lose and win instead of consistently winning is a decent idea of where you'll end up-- this does have a bit of luck to it, I must agree with you, since if you decide to play with randoms you can get screwed over.
Yeah, I assumed you knew how MMR worked. I wrote part of that for those who didn't (mostly lurkers trying to learn more about the game). I just don't know how well progress through smurfing translates to showing abilty. Like a lot of this game, things get murky when you throw more factors in the mix.

Unfortunately, as we know, the simple stats we have like rank or win percentage don't really tell the full tale either. A bit like real sports. Which is why it would be fun to have more advanced metrics--if only the stats were being recorded properly during the game.

Ruruja

I keep running into the same player week after week in unranked, who will always quit a match when the other team scores a goal, regardless of the current score.

Losing 1-0? Quit.
Winning 5-1? Quit.

What is going on?

Why do you play unranked may I ask?

I played some 2v2 in there the other day and it was just people leaving endessly, me and my friend ended up playing against AI mostly, it's just a colossal waste of time.

I've been playing Rocket League for months and I wanna know if i'm actually good at the game or not. And if I am good, how good am I? Am I average? Above average? Bad?

-I've played 452 games and have scored 601 goals (965 shots) with an avergage of 1.3 goals per match and a "shooting percentage" of 62%.

-Of the 452 games, i've won 246 of them. 54.4% winning percentage

-I've been MVP 135 times. Meaning that i've been mvp in 54% of my team's wins and 30% overall (rounded off from 29.8).

-I've recorded 193 assists and 146 saves. 0.43 per and 0.32 per respectively.

So how do I stack up? I know that the objective is just to have fun, which i'm doing, but this is a sport.

Literally garbage-tier, git gud fam.

lol, no, seriously.

but in all seriousness, numbers don't really tell it all. It all depends on how well you rotate, if you are adept at choosing when to challenge and when to retreat, being able to set teammates up, not whiffing shots that are set up for you, etc.

rafaelr

I played some 2v2 in there the other day and it was just people leaving endessly, me and my friend ended up playing against AI mostly, it's just a colossal waste of time.

i switched back to playing unranked about a month ago, and haven´t looked back since. ppl tend to be a lot more relaxed about mistakes and friendlier in general. also in my expierience, once you get a group of players where the level of play is about even and a match is close, nobody leaves and you can rematch with the same players for at least a few (usually great) matches. that´s when it´s the most fun imo.

Draconian

I bought this game over the weekend. My biggest takeaway so far is that it's incredible how many games are determined and goals scored due to the absolute cluelessness/buffoonery of teammates.

This doesn't change.

Well, if you watch rocket Royale games it is incredible the way some people play. They have full control of almost every ball and goal chances like every other second, it's crazy.

Edit: ah shit, now I understood your comment, I thought you meant that it does not change no matter how much experience you have with the game... sorry, slow morning.

GeeTeeCee

i switched back to playing unranked about a month ago, and haven´t looked back since. ppl tend to be a lot more relaxed about mistakes and friendlier in general. also in my expierience, once you get a group of players where the level of play is about even and a match is close, nobody leaves and you can rematch with the same players for at least a few (usually great) matches. that´s when it´s the most fun imo.

rafaelr has the exact same reasoning as I do, I just find unranked way more enjoyable in terms of the community. The cesspit that is the ranked mode made me consider quitting the game entirely once or twice. The "car football is serious business" folks are a blight on the game.

While unranked is often filled with endless rage quitters, when you do get those rare lobbies with 5 other great players and you're constantly rematching each other or playing again with different teams and just having fun without any of the other drama? That's the best of Rocket League right there.

dickroach

I've been bouncing around in "Prospect Elite" in doubles for like a month now. division 2 to 3 to 4 to 3 to 2 to 3 to 4....
BUT i just ZONED IN and won... I think it was like 14 of 17 or something? finally got up to "Challenger". feels good.
165 hours in... starting to feel like I'm actually decent at this game.

also, it's really jarring when you go like 10 games in a row with nothing but Nice Shot! and Great Pass! and Thank You!s, and then you get a game with a couple kids calling everyone, including each other, 'nigger faggots' and all this shit. i actually played against someone named 'shit fucking degenerate retard' or something. -_- never really played any games online before RL. I guess it's par for the course.

Hasney

^RIP
RL community is a multitude worse than 95% you'll encounter online, don't worry.

Yup.

Last night I put our team up 1-0 in 20 seconds. Had a good shot that was going into the bottom corner, someone on the other team zoomed into to rey and save but only managed to hit it at the other post and in. My teamates spam 'nice shot', I do a thanks and get on team chat "Not you retard" and "The other fucking guy I meant".

I just quit to leave them 2v3. Fuck em. I don't give a shit about my rank, it's just easier to get full matches with less people dropping out in ranked.

Maybe it's because I play with other Europeans mostly, I guess, but I really don't encounter that sort of people in rocket league at all. People are still crappy in terms of forfeiting or quitting, though.

Hasney

Maybe it's because I play with other Europeans mostly, I guess, but I really don't encounter that sort of people in rocket league at all. People are still crappy in terms of forfeiting or quitting, though.

Nope, I'm on the EU servers. I guess it's because of the lack of common languages between some people, like if someone doesn't speak English, I occasionally see people trying to communicate in question marks.

Ruruja

once you get a group of players where the level of play is about even and a match is close, nobody leaves and you can rematch with the same players for at least a few (usually great) matches. that´s when it´s the most fun imo.

rafaelr has the exact same reasoning as I do, I just find unranked way more enjoyable in terms of the community. The cesspit that is the ranked mode made me consider quitting the game entirely once or twice. The "car football is serious business" folks are a blight on the game.

While unranked is often filled with endless rage quitters, when you do get those rare lobbies with 5 other great players and you're constantly rematching each other or playing again with different teams and just having fun without any of the other drama? That's the best of Rocket League right there.

I've only had that 'same group for a few matches' happen in Ice Hockey mode tbh.

Also I've run into a few people effing and jeffing at their teammates in Unranked, boggles the mind.

Hasney

Damn, on the biggest hot streak since launch i think. Gone up 4 divisions and losing a couple here and there, but majority wins and MVPs

Hasney

Had a power cut and was out for the first three minutes of a match. Router came back up and rejoined and my teammates had fortunately held it to 1-1. Glad I could at least contribute before my team got the winner.

kKHPQ93.gif

Nope, I'm on the EU servers. I guess it's because of the lack of common languages between some people, like if someone doesn't speak English, I occasionally see people trying to communicate in question marks.

The ones who don't speak English still know all the insults and curse words though.

rafaelr

It's nice to see the logo (RocketRoyale) you created in such a big game. It gives me a smile every day i play Rocket League :)

it´s very much deserved, each event you guys have done so far was top-notch and a joy to watch! (my only suggestion: try not to go way past midnight CET for us working class euros :) )

Lazulic

third teammate fell off the face of the earth, quite possible we won't get to play in rlcs unless he turns up and confirms registration

and it just makes me want to die

Lazulic

also the changed ball physics is nice. the ball falls lower faster on wall hits so it may trip some people up, but as long as its consistent im all for it. before it was just so random and broken it was hard to predict.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom