• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paertan

Had some friends over. Moving in a while so most things are packed. "What shall we do?" Well my PS4 is plugged in. Look a library. See Rocket League. We could play a game or two before going out for a beer.
Never left the apartment.
Man I love this game.

Soulflarz

Banned
Glad to see everyone enjoys it :3

Need to play with Hasney again, he bodied me when I was just starting the game, need to show him I'm not terrible anymore ^_^

Sadly, the guy who never made it to that tourney match (thedanimal) quit RL a month or two ago :/

Getting really tired of all these terrible players in Challenger. They don't seem to know where the ball is half the time.

Speaking of which, anyone need a doubles queue partner in NA? I'm actually looking for one right now.

This is seriously my favorite game of all time. I have over 400 hours played in the last 7 or so months and it's only gotten more enjoyable.

Hit me up if you're in the Star rank on PC and want to dominate some doubles

Yeah, i sometimes wonder about what makes a truly good game. In the end it should all be about the enjoyment and excitement you get out of it and the time you are willing to HAPPILY devote to it. In my experience,AAA games with big pompous stories are all great and all but, really, in so many of them there's so many dull moments or tiring segments, lots of fluff and filler... It's games like rocket league that for me define what good gaming is about. Simple concepts with clear at of rules easy to understand but hard to master and very rewarding once you do that.

I wonder why there are not that many games that achieve this and it is also funny how it had to be a 10 dollar game the one to do it.

J. Bravo

Gonna hop on ps4 a little I think. See where I get placed. I played a placement match on my account on my friend ps4 but lost it because there was hella input lag. Turning off vsync and weather effects helped tho.

He was having a little going away party and we all played some rocket league. I basically drove around playing keep away from the other players and got really good at dribbling haha.

Soulflarz

Banned
How do you 'quit RL'? Is such a thing even possible?

Only play with me so he fell behind me so he got into a rut of being...well...carried by me. Maybe not directly, but my centers almost always made it center vs his, which is very useful in 2s.
Which wasn't too bad when we played at like challenger, but since I basically took him with me to gold and then to me hitting rising star, I think he lost joy in RL and took it instead as "welp my friend got better than me and now I have nowhere to go to from here", which is kind of disheartening. I mean, yes, it's kind of hell when I'm playing with say, Laz and not holding up my end (to give an extreme version of this), so I understand where hes coming from.

It's diff when I have people like Flunkie to play with to encourage me to keep getting better vs...
well, if my only friend to play 2s with in RL was Kronovi, I'd get damn bored of RL fast.

How do you 'quit RL'? Is such a thing even possible?
The mythical rage quit, so powerful that the threat of death itself couldn't convince him to play again

But for real if you're anywhere in the blue star rank in doubles on PC send me a PM. I can't take some of these random teammates...

vewn

Can somebody tell me what's up with my ping after the recent update?
The EU servers would give me a ping between 20 and 40 before, now I can't find a game that's below 80ms for some reason, same region.
It's not my internet.

TheDanimal

Only play with me so he fell behind me so he got into a rut of being...well...carried by me. Maybe not directly, but my centers almost always made it center vs his, which is very useful in 2s.
Which wasn't too bad when we played at like challenger, but since I basically took him with me to gold and then to me hitting rising star, I think he lost joy in RL and took it instead as "welp my friend got better than me and now I have nowhere to go to from here", which is kind of disheartening. I mean, yes, it's kind of hell when I'm playing with say, Laz and not holding up my end (to give an extreme version of this), so I understand where hes coming from.

It's diff when I have people like Flunkie to play with to encourage me to keep getting better vs...
well, if my only friend to play 2s with in RL was Kronovi, I'd get damn bored of RL fast.
While your increase in skill played a role, I was basically only playing Rocket League and nothing else. I was playing only to try and win, fun basically wasn't a factor anymore. I wasn't playing any other games that I wanted to play.

I still love Rocket League but it isn't for me anymore.
(And you quit Rocket League by uninstalling it :p)

Soulflarz

Banned
While your increase in skill played a role, I was basically only playing Rocket League and nothing else. I was playing only to try and win, fun basically wasn't a factor anymore. I wasn't playing any other games that I wanted to play.

I still love Rocket League but it isn't for me anymore.
(And you quit Rocket League by uninstalling it :p)

Over the summer you'll come back, when you have time to play other games and still get good :3

Hasney

I'm the worst. I'm having occasionally Rocket League games between chapters of Resident Evil 6. I'm almost tolerating the game this time.

GeeTeeCee

Recently, my ping appears to have doubled, sometimes even tripled, what it normally used to be during most games. I can't remember if this started with the 3.50 firmware update or the most recent RL patch. Or maybe Psyonix just bought a bunch of servers in Siberia.

After almost a year of on and off play, I only just discovered how much of a difference boosting and jumping at the same time, not to mention double jumping during it, actually makes to your aerials. It's nice to not be beaten to the ball 24/7 now and I finally feel like I'm making progress again rather than smashing my head against a wall.

Anyone think of any other crucial tips for playing the higher end? I've been scouring tutorials for all I can find for the past week.

Prediction is better than waiting.
Try not to wait for the ball to bounce before hitting it.
Or for a powershot, hit it just after it bounces.
Get better at passing from wallhits.
When defending, hitting it to the side is usually better than hitting it directly at goal.
Try to pass, even if it feels like other players won't understand immediately; you normally can't carry a team to victory alone.
Don't take losses too hard.
Don't let wins or goals let you get overconfident.

All I got for now.

Prediction is better than waiting.
Try not to wait for the ball to bounce before hitting it.
Or for a powershot, hit it just after it bounces.
Get better at passing from wallhits.
When defending, hitting it to the side is usually better than hitting it directly at goal.
Try to pass, even if it feels like other players won't understand immediately; you normally can't carry a team to victory alone.
Don't take losses too hard.
Don't let wins or goals let you get overconfident.

All I got for now.

Thanks man, some very solid advice there. Powershot thing never occurred to me so I guess that behaves a bit like a pinch if the timing is correct? I think the main thing I really suck at from that list is wall hits. I can do the passes well, even get shots from them but I seem to mess up a lot if I'm chasing a ball vertically on defense. Wall play definitely seems my weakest but it's improving a bit now I've remapped the roll controls. Well that and air rolling my way out of a perfect aerial shot like an idiot sometimes.

Luckily my play style is too aggressive to wait so I don't fall into that trap anymore. I tend to panic and miss a lot if I'm waiting around so I try to just stay in position for the next immediate hit if a teammate doesn't have it. Means I mess up plenty but I'm improving faster too I find. It's a slow burn in general, but now I've got some proper control, a few new tricks and a bit of a handle on prediction it feels much better to play. I think my mistake was expecting improvement faster since I've dropped enough play time to reach Expert but had very little improvement until recently.

J. Bravo

Thanks man, some very solid advice there. Powershot thing never occurred to me so I guess that behaves a bit like a pinch if the timing is correct? I think the main thing I really suck at from that list is wall hits. I can do the passes well, even get shots from them but I seem to mess up a lot if I'm chasing a ball vertically on defense. Wall play definitely seems my weakest but it's improving a bit now I've remapped the roll controls. Well that and air rolling my way out of a perfect aerial shot like an idiot sometimes.

Luckily my play style is too aggressive to wait so I don't fall into that trap anymore. I tend to panic and miss a lot if I'm waiting around so I try to just stay in position for the next immediate hit if a teammate doesn't have it. Means I mess up plenty but I'm improving faster too I find. It's a slow burn in general, but now I've got some proper control, a few new tricks and a bit of a handle on prediction it feels much better to play. I think my mistake was expecting improvement faster since I've dropped enough play time to reach Expert but had very little improvement until recently.
at a certain point you won't get any better without greatly increasing your playtime and/or actually practicing skills. for me that was around 56ish? stil dont play enough to get better, but i have been practicing dribbling and 1s a lot so gotten much better in that area.

Soulflarz

Banned
at a certain point you won't get any better without greatly increasing your playtime and/or actually practicing skills. for me that was around 56ish? stil dont play enough to get better, but i have been practicing dribbling and 1s a lot so gotten much better in that area.

I had a talk with Laz about this yesterday, and I have to agree

If I play RL a lot but don't play it frequently and manage to play a good 100 games a year, I don't think I can be mad when I'm only high rising star.

Majukun

is it really necessary to make the "boom" for every point in this mode too?scoring seems really eassy and costantly having those explosion would interrupt the flow of the game

Will have to practice chipping the ball up for teammates to aerial/dunk. And popping the ball off the top of my car when defenders close out.

Will be interesting to see how people defend. Will they hang out under the hoop and hope to fly up and stuff shots? Might be hard to do regularly in 2v2. Or will they be more aggressive in closing out on their man and trusting their teammate to rotate back and block shots and passes in the air? I'm excited to see how people play it.

I'm guessing it will be daunting for "grounded" players playing with others who can aerial. I think players with similar skill sets should have a lot of fun. For example, newer players can still roll the ball up the net and into the goal, though I'm sure many will end up over-shooting it (kind of like skee ball). Higher level players will be flying all around. That should be a blast.

But I am worried about those who can't aerial yet and are playing against high flyers. They'll need to learn to fly quick--or maybe just play physical and bump the other team as often as possible. Can also use the walls, too. Should be fun to see people score off the back wall / backboard.

Grinchy

Banned
Hoops looks so awesome. The NBA flags will be the first premium content I won't be buying though, unfortunately. I don't like flags and I don't particularly care for the NBA.

How much abuse should one expect to take online when playing as a newbie? I've played quite a bit against the computer opponents but it's not the same as playing with actual people.

Hasney

You should expect a stupid amount of abuse no matter what experience or skill level. Slightly better on consoles because a lot of people can't be arsed typing things in, but still expect sarcastic quick chat responses.

Majukun

after getting a little frustrated playing 3 vs 3 i switched to 2vs2 and never looked back...in that mode people actually help each other,taking turns in offence and defense and don't mindlessly follow the ball like cats chasing a mouse

the fact that i also have a way better win/loss ratio in that mode helps too :p

How much abuse should one expect to take online when playing as a newbie? I've played quite a bit against the computer opponents but it's not the same as playing with actual people.

Half the fun of the game is the abuse, revel in it don't run away from it.

There is so much fun in the simple chat system trolling.

Grinchy

Banned

You can completely turn off all of the chat if you want. It'll remove the snark.

I find that terrible players are often the most vocal about how bad everyone else is, so I assume the low ranks are a cesspool.

Free weekend means more noobs like me so I can have an easier time!
Probably also means more smurfs :(

Has anyone remapped their controls or do you all play like super pros with default controls?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom