• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

weekev

Banned
Learn to aerial. But really, prospect elite-- do the bolded part first.
And I mean learn to land them consistently, and learn to make smart touches that go in.
At prospect elite, it's about getting that consistency down on the ground. If you can't make a shot on the ground perfectly, it's not going in when you add a vertical aspect. Get that dribbling down.
You can probably win until low/mid challenger with very little aerial knowledge. You'll get stuck there a good 20-30 hours while you get aerialing down though, just a heads up.
Thanks that's awesome advice. I've been practicing Aerials and can connect every time albeit without scoring. You reckon freeplay or training is best to nail this down?

Soulflarz

Banned
Thanks that's awesome advice. I've been practicing Aerials and can connect every time albeit without scoring. You reckon freeplay or training is best to nail this down?

Yes and no
I mean, you need to actively try and get better. There's people with 800 hours on RL and they still are completely unable to do anything decent.

What I did was training pro until I could consistently land it (it's only an hour, hour and a half!), then spent a good while playing and just getting more used to aerials over time. You need to at least learn basic ones in training though, definitely.

This is a good way to learn anything. It's how I'm learning wall aerials finally.

Soulflarz

Banned
I'm amazed at how small the group of gaffers who regularly play RL is but how ridiculously good the average person is.

edit: no really
Theres a TON of top 1% in here, which is kind of ridiculous.

zer0das

Banned
Man, I got Rocket League and this game is fun. I feel like the biggest obstacle is your team- I can't count the number of times I've had an easy goal, but someone on my team is like gotta plow the ball a completely different way and hits the ball towards our goal. Or the number of times they've plowed into me. Or scored on our own goal where all they had to do was nothing.

I'm going to assume this is because it is a free weekend...

Draconian

Man, I got Rocket League and this game is fun. I feel like the biggest obstacle is your team- I can't count the number of times I've had an easy goal, but someone on my team is like gotta plow the ball a completely different way and hits the ball towards our goal. Or the number of times they've plowed into me. Or scored on our own goal where all they had to do was nothing.

Nah, it's like that pretty much all the time playing with randoms (at least in unranked). The first rule of the game that everyone should learn is that just because you can hit the ball doesn't mean you should.

I've been in multiple games where my team rage quits and I end up doing way better with the ai.

It's definitely worse this weekend due to the increase in players. Most people aren't very good at the game so the more people playing the more idiots you will (literally) be bumping into. Nights and weekends are usually worse due to this.

It gets better (sort of) as you increase in rank / MMR *but* old problems get replaced with new ones -- mainly poor positioning. You will play with people who are technically skilled and no longer chase the ball but still manage to be out of position leading to odd man rushes and open goals (it's especially bad in 2's).

Best bet is to play with a buddy but you can still have fun in ranked or unranked it's just luck of the draw when it comes to teammates. When you get good teammates (and even better even teams) the game is fucking glorious.

TIP: if you go on a losing streak and feel like you keep getting stuck with terrible teammates take a break from the game because it will likely only get worse -- the RL gods love to punish you when you are down :D

TheKeyPit

Banned
I played this weekend partly on Xbox One and on PC.
Result: PC is more toxic. For the first time I encountered a match where a team constantly spammed the quick chat like hell. Players leave from a game more often.

Soulflarz

Banned
definitely out of my rut of no learning- doing odd redirects, wall hits consistently, etc
feels great, but now I don't want to do any schoolwork

Dr Prob

Banned
I need to play with and get wrecked by you

You'd be DISAPPOINTED. Despite playing point guard growing up I have no fucking handle in this game, so I'm heavily assist-dependent/opportunistic/easily thwarted. Just really like it (still want to talk about the camera. maybe tomorrow. Veep will be on soon) and if you play enough, can't help but do at least some of the stuff.

I just can't control my car good enough during aerials to make goals like these.

You will, XBox dude. Sounds like the windup to some console war nonsense, but it really is just a matter of time.

Been loving this game on PC now. Learned a lot over the free weekend. I tend to play a midfielder mostly because my long shots are decent, but my saving techniques aren't so hot yet because I haven't mastered thruster-flying. Also I do a lot of centering, nets me a lot of assists!

Definitely the biggest thing is to not always hit the ball, and also not to always thrust into the ball when just pushing with your car is often enough.

Soulflarz

Banned
RL finally clicked
maiming my way through challenger elite, just hit rising star in 1s
they say 1s is the hardest thing to rank up in

Been loving this game on PC now. Learned a lot over the free weekend. I tend to play a midfielder mostly because my long shots are decent, but my saving techniques aren't so hot yet because I haven't mastered thruster-flying. Also I do a lot of centering, nets me a lot of assists!

Definitely the biggest thing is to not always hit the ball, and also not to always thrust into the ball when just pushing with your car is often enough.

YOU PLAY ROCKET LEAGUE?

TIMETOKILL
hell yes

After your fallout stories, I'll stick around for you posting about any game

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Rocket League was everywhere at PAX East this year. So many exhibitors had it at their stations

And it was all mouse and keyboard. So fucking gross.

GoaThief

Result: PC is more toxic. For the first time I encountered a match where a team constantly spammed the quick chat like hell. Players leave from a game more often.
That chat is made to be spammed, 99% of the time it's not "toxic" either and instead very lighthearted and/or useful. It's surprising how little Xbox players use it in any way compared to PC and Playstation - I think the lack of this is definitely a contributing factor in the skill of players relative to rank being comparatively lower. Really does hinder communication a d cooperation with team mates.

I am aware that the above could appear a little platform biased but it's just an honest observation after reaching pro (around lvl 25) and challenger 3/elite across the board - being unable to disable VSync on XB1 is an actual gripe I have if I must name one unique to that specific platform. The option is there but it clearly doesn't work as there's no tearing at all still and the input delay which really affects my play very negatively is ever present.

Nabs

Yo, if you think quick chat spam is toxic, don't ever play Dota or CoD. Ever.

TheKeyPit

Banned
That chat is made to be spammed, 99% of the time it's not "toxic" either and instead very lighthearted and/or useful. It's surprising how little Xbox players use it in any way compared to PC and Playstation - I think the lack of this is definitely a contributing factor in the skill of players relative to rank being comparatively lower. Really does hinder communication a d cooperation with team mates.

I am aware that the above could appear a little platform biased but it's just an honest observation after reaching pro (around lvl 25) and challenger 3/elite across the board - being unable to disable VSync on XB1 is an actual gripe I have if I must name one unique to that specific platform. The option is there but it clearly doesn't work as there's no tearing at all still and the input delay which really affects my play very negatively is ever present.

I think that no matter the platform you'll always need a bit of luck to end up with two good teams of randoms that position good and use quick chat decently. The matches where this applies are rare throughout a day/week, but they are the best and most gripping.

-----------------

Edit: Wow. When a teammate quits at the beggining of a 2v2 and throughout the match noone joins, the remaining bot is just '*/&!

I had surprisingly large amounts of fun in Solo standard, now at 6 out of 10 matches played.

I'm getting the hang of this but I don't see how I can ever learn to do aerial tricks. It's hard to plan for it because you need to use a whole boost meter just to go upwards in the air. The tutorials give unlimited boost which is deceptive, I wish it could be turned off.

I had surprisingly large amounts of fun in Solo standard, now at 6 out of 10 matches played.

I'm getting the hang of this but I don't see how I can ever learn to do aerial tricks. It's hard to plan for it because you need to use a whole boost meter just to go upwards in the air. The tutorials give unlimited boost which is deceptive, I wish it could be turned off.

Its doable.

Two stages of practice. You get used to actually hitting the ball aerial. Once you can do it consistently, you practice collecting boost as you drive, so that you have a decent amount of boost to pull off aerials with in the game.

I used to think the same as you, but with practice, I've been getting better at.

Love this game...it always feels like there's a new level of skill sets to be learned that will make you better.

Nobody playing snow day is disappointing. Takes forever to find a game.

Takes longer than Standard yes, but there's still plenty of us playing. Mostly during evenings and weekends. Snow Day was getting close to 2000 players thanks to the Steam free weekend.

Bracing for tomorrow and the potential for Hoops replacing Snow Day :<

Going to have to learn how to play normal Rocket League all over again....

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Takes longer than Standard yes, but there's still plenty of us playing. Mostly during evenings and weekends. Snow Day was getting close to 2000 players thanks to the Steam free weekend.

Bracing for tomorrow and the potential for Hoops replacing Snow Day :<

Going to have to learn how to play normal Rocket League all over again....
It's possible that most people playing the mode aren't on my mmr level or something. But the search always seems to go in to at least orange before it finds a game for me. Maybe I should try searching in more regions.

Tawpgun

Anyone on Xbox want to play ranked dubs?

Trying to get out of this gold division and keep getting handed some real stinkers for teammates

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
How many hours away is that? Or just tell me what that is in UK time.

Also, I made it to shooting star in standard! Now I'm shooting star in doubles and standard. Gotta get past rising star in 1v1 and solo standard still. Solo standard should be very achievable. It's basically the same as standard especially since I've been playing standard on my own.

It's possible that most people playing the mode aren't on my mmr level or something. But the search always seems to go in to at least orange before it finds a game for me. Maybe I should try searching in more regions.

There's a group of us "regulars" with a higher MMR, but yeah it usually goes at least yellow unless it's the busiest part of the evening (8pm-12am eastern). I dunno, I usually don't have THAT much trouble finding games. Worst case is if I get to orange, I cancel and restart the search and it will often find a game in under a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom