• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unicorn

People are salty as hell in Hoops. Like, y'all the first days of vanilla rocket league was tough shit scoring. Learning new skills is hard again.

I think it's super fun, but I definitely need to learn dribbling and lobbing up and controlling aerial nudges a whooooooooole lot more. so much floundering lol

Hasney

I'm doing great at hoops. My style of putting the ball over the crossbar with aerials in the normal mode is finally paying dividends.

Grinchy

Banned
Basketball is incredible. Me and my friend played it for 6 hours straight. I didn't expect to like it this much.

Also Cosmic is really good. I like that the ramps in front of the goals are more forgiving than in Battle Cars.

Basketball has same physics as normal ball. It's not "heavier".

Hockey hasn't changed.

I would question that, played some private games last night where it shows you that there are some modifiers in play.

But i didn't look properly so i can't remember, maybe someone could check?

A lot of it is the lack of momentum from not having a longer run up, but it does seem harder to get the ball airbourne with anything other than a direct flick from below.

I would question that, played some private games last night where it shows you that there are some modifiers in play.

But i didn't look properly so i can't remember, maybe someone could check?

A lot of it is the lack of momentum from not having a longer run up, but it does seem harder to get the ball airbourne with anything other than a direct flick from below.

Your private host probably had mutators on, then.

AcridMeat

Banned
Getting some people from the 2v2 tourney I was a part of a few weeks ago to come back to that game night. Gonna have our own mini hoops tournament. :D

IT'S GOIN DOWN

Pretty sure it's the stadium itself' ball doesn't roll straight up the walls in the same way. Kind of a shame, I think it'd make or some great wallshots.

Either the walls are different or its the lack of momentum due to map being so small. It's like a 1/4 size of a normal map so you just never really get a chance to hit the ball productively at full speed like you do in normal game, which in turn makes the ball feel deader / behave differently than we are used to.

I do love the hoops as alternative goals. A bigger map with higher hoops for 3v3 or 4v4 would be AMAZING. Fingers crossed we get it some day :)

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I actually don't think super aerials are that important in hoops. Arguably less important than the main game. I find that hoops is all about the controlled ground game and all about those controlled ground shots. Being able to get the ball to flick up the way you need and whatnot.

DJ88

7vOr6GV.jpg

How was this ignored? If it's real that's a pretty big fuck up lol.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well, I'm sorry, but Hoops really sucks unless both you and your random teammate are awesome at aerials. I'm semi-decent at them, but was constantly matched against a damn Legend who kept doing them all but flawlessly. Got beat so damn hard. So my pissy teammates kept leaving, as they always do in this game, and then you get stuck with a bot. And WOW, the bots have NO IDEA how to play Hoops. AT ALL. They never even attempt to hit the ball in the air or anything. Literally useless. Worse than that, actually, since they more often than not do entirely counter-productive things when they do manage a lucky hit.

This could be fun, but not when you're not even given a slight chance.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Well, I'm sorry, but Hoops really sucks unless both you and your random teammate are awesome at aerials. I'm semi-decent at them, but was constantly matched against a damn Legend who kept doing them all but flawlessly. Got beat so damn hard. So my pissy teammates kept leaving, as they always do in this game, and then you get stuck with a bot. And WOW, the bots have NO IDEA how to play Hoops. AT ALL. They never even attempt to hit the ball in the air or anything. Literally useless.

As I've said, this aerials aren't as big a factor as people are making them out to be in hoops. Good close control and effective controlled ground shots will net you goals all day long. All you need is basic solid aerial ability. You don't need to be amazing at them. Hoops is no more dependant on aerials than the core game is. Get under the ball. Flick it up.

Hoops is certainly much harder than the main game. No doubt about it. Takes time to get used to and understand the effective ways of scoring. But I assure you, being godly at aerials is not a requirement.

Ran rp

Well, I'm sorry, but Hoops really sucks unless both you and your random teammate are awesome at aerials. I'm semi-decent at them, but was constantly matched against a damn Legend who kept doing them all but flawlessly. Got beat so damn hard. So my pissy teammates kept leaving, as they always do in this game, and then you get stuck with a bot. And WOW, the bots have NO IDEA how to play Hoops. AT ALL. They never even attempt to hit the ball in the air or anything. Literally useless. Worse than that, actually, since they more often than not do entirely counter-productive things when they do manage a lucky hit.

I had a bot teammate go under the hoop and smack my shot out right before it registered as a goal. Never again.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
As I've said, this aerials aren't as big a factor as people are making them out to be in hoops. Good close control and effective controlled ground shots will net you goals all day long. All you need is basic solid aerial ability. You don't need to be amazing at them. Hoops is no more dependant on aerials than the core game is. Get under the ball. Flick it up.

Hoops is certainly much harder than the main game. No doubt about it. Takes time to get used to and understand the effective ways of scoring. But I assure you, being godly at aerials is not a requirement.

Well, I can't even attempt a controlled ground game if my teammate keeps hitting the ball into the air, resulting in our aerial master opponent hitting it in the air every single time, often in exactly the right direction. So yeah, if you're a bit unevenly matched in that regard it becomes a terrible mode. I had zero fun playing it. Not very tempted to ever try it again, at least not alone with randoms. Could be fun with a group of friends though.

Yeah I mean hoops is all about the ground game from what I've played, but I think the arena is a bit small and it's a bit chaotic at times being in the corner. Got all my goals and assists of dunked ground hits.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
MAN, does it feel good to go back to regular old Rocket League. So much more fun.

I just had the opposite experience. Fuck that. Hoops is way more fun. Not playing regular Rocket league for a while.

Psyonix seriously, PUT THIS IN RANKED.

Come on, it's clearly a game mode tailored for the experienced player. It's a more hardcore mode if you will. It makes more sense being in ranked than unranked. If you don't want to split the playerbase then don't make separate playlists. Straight up move it to ranked. It's where it belongs.I don't see this as a casual mode the way snow day or Rocket Labs is. This mode was made to be competitive. Make it competitive.

Also the AI are worse than useless in hoops even more so than in regular Rocket League. It literally is 2v1 any time someone quits. It hurts this mode more than regular RL. Eliminate that issue.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Well, I just played ~6+ hoops matches with the same 3 guys and these matches were so far the best. I didn't do that good, but I had more fun than ever in hoops. They all were good teammates and we used typical quick chat for "Nice Shot", "What a Save" and I used "Sorry" very often, lol. Good guys.

Bots are indeed shit and I'm really surprised in all this time they haven't tried to improve the AI or at least make the AI attempt to go for basic aerials.

The sad thing is the bots would be passable and make season mode (and subs in unranked games) so much better with just a few tweaks -- the biggest being making all bots play the same instead of crippling the bots on your own (human populated) team.

It's lazing programming which is a shame considering how much effort they have put into all other areas of this game. I think a lot of people would love to be able to play an exhibition game or season mode against and with bots that were all competent in terms of skill level selected, instead of the bots being crippled for one team or being situationally crippled depending on who (AI or human) has possession of or is going for the ball. It's retarded that when I have / am going for the ball the AI will try to stop me but if a bot teammate has it they almost always care less, just letting / watching them score like my own idiot teammate bots always do on defense :)

I would welcome bot aerials as well but again it needs to be consistent. If only the opposing bots can do them / are better at them then my bots screw that.

Grinchy

Banned
Hoops is so damn good. I feel like they could have charged us $7.99 for that and everyone would have paid. I'm dying for Ranked Hoops.

Oreoleo

Just noticed tonight they updated Utopia and Underpass on Monday (I guess?)

Why didn't they put this in the patch notes? Both maps are better than they were, now.

Hasney

Just noticed tonight they updated Utopia and Underpass on Monday (I guess?)

Why didn't they put this in the patch notes? Both maps are better than they were, now.

Probably because it was part of the pitch for Rocket Labs that stuff would be changed fairly frequently and without warning.

Grinchy

Banned
Do people enjoy Utopia? It was my least favorite map in Battle Cars and it's my least favorite Labs map. It just feels so tedious to me.

Cosmic sucks. By far the worst map so far.
Oh wow, I love it. I really like how they made the ramps leading up to the goals more accessible. They were so punishing to use in Battle Cars.

GoaThief

.I don't see this as a casual mode the way snow day or Rocket Labs is. This mode was made to be competitive. Make it competitive.
Hoops isn't any more or less "casual" than the regular mode, come on now. Neither is Rocket Labs, just that the maps aren't the same old, same old.

Speaking of which when are labs maps coming out of labs and into regular rotation in ranked? Desperate for this to happen! It's already begun with Wasteland, have Psyonix commented on this anywhere?

Hasney

Hoops isn't any more or less "casual" than the regular mode, come on now. Neither is Rocket Labs, just that the maps aren't the same old, same old.

Speaking of which when are labs maps coming out of labs and into regular rotation in ranked? Desperate for this to happen! It's already begun with Wasteland, have Psyonix commented on this anywhere?

They're most likely not going into ranked, unless they come up with another playlist. If they're well received, they'd just turn them into full maps with proper art.

GoaThief

They're most likely not going into ranked, unless they come up with another playlist. If they're well received, they'd just turn them into full maps with proper art.
Wasteland was anything but well received, but here we are? I know many love the ascetics (toggle for whole game to be skinned thusly? Never happen but just saying... ) so even without "proper" textures they could be added.

I personally don't believe it's a result of popularity either way, I know rocketteers who've never tried them at all or like them but find the competition lacking in labs. There's even some experts and the like whom didn't even know Rocket Labs had unique maps? Wasteland in ranked - introduced there a while after its release, no less - has set a precedent, I hope it's followed through.

Oreoleo

Probably because it was part of the pitch for Rocket Labs that stuff would be changed fairly frequently and without warning.
I guess? Still seems like it would be nice to detail changes made somewhere. Those maps have been in for over a month now and these are the first time they've updated them, to my knowledge. Feels like an oversight to me.

Also, hoops seems like it gets more fun the more people are on the court. Friends and I played a handful of 4v4 hoops games last night and it was a ton of fun. Pileups galore in the corners but it didn't feel like people were getting in my way like in standard 4's. 3v3 would probably be better overall but... Idk why they made it 2v2 by default besides being an homage to NBA Jam.

Love Utopia, Cosmic is a close second.
Same here. Underpass is alright too but the raised sides kill the momentum of the game a little too frequently. Double-goal is the only rocket lab map I don't really care to play on.

Hasney

Wasteland was anything but well received, but here we are? I know many love the ascetics (toggle for whole game to be skinned thusly? Never happen but just saying... ) so even without "proper" textures they could be added.

I personally don't believe it's a result of popularity either way, I know rocketteers who've never tried them at all or like them but find the competition lacking in labs. There's even some experts and the like whom didn't even know Rocket Labs had unique maps? Wasteland in ranked - introduced there a while after its release, no less - has set a precedent, I hope it's followed through.

I don't think a map with slightly sloped edges towards goal has set a precedent for radically different maps at all. I'd be all for a Rocket Labs solo standard ranked playlist though, but it would be a hard sell to put them in the current ranked playlists I would guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom