• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Bravo

fuck I want the foam hat. last one i need. meanwhile I have 9 plungers, 6 boots , 5 paper boats, 7 deerstalkers, and many other countless fucking stupid hats lol. ugh

sadbron.png

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Guys, I just played my first ever games against guys with esl champion and esl elite tags. And.....I won. I also lost twice, but I also won. I got a good feeling right now guys. Feels nice. When I saw their tags I was like, oh god this matchmaking is horrible I'm gonna die. Then we started playing and they weren't blowing us away. It was weird. It was fun. I wanted to play them more but they left.

Powerwing

Just played for the first time (2v2 online and split screen with my bro)
What an awesome game, never thought car soccer would be so much fun.
Psn : Hasano

RLCS stream on Rocket League channel is amazing. Presentation (there are replays and analysis!) and announcers are excellent. Gibbs is in a suit! If Rocket League wasn't already here as an esport it has most definitely arrived.

ADDED: as far as gameplay goes established teams destroying the pretenders. SO many faceoff goals w/crap team's goalie going for corner boost on KO. Will they ever learn??

Got me! Even pro teams do it. No Clue just gave up 2 goals doing it at the start of game 3 in their set with Vexx and then completely fell apart and got blown out. I think No Clue is ranked like 9 or 10 in power rankings.

Potentially good game coming up with Orbit vs Onslaught.

Soulflarz

Banned
Got me! Even pro teams do it. No Clue just gave up 2 goals doing it at the start of game 3 in their set with Vexx and then completely fell apart and got blown out. I think No Clue is ranked like 9 or 10 in power rankings.

Potentially good game coming up with Orbit vs Onslaught.

Well
In some cases in pro teams, it has to do with the starting kickoff, but yeah, I never will go immediately for it

^I never do it.
I hate when people do it.
Why would you ever go for corner boost :/

It's slightly below "Going for the slow bouncing ball and managing to not even touch it" on my annoyance scale.

BTW, has the Google doc been updated in a long while? I know I submitted my info and I can't find myself on there.

Lazulic

going for boost puts you in a much better position for saving potential shots, as well as followups on good clears. being to the side of a goal with full boost is actually much more productive than sitting in goal with your neck staring up at a ball that could go anywhere around you. if you have someone cheating, they should cover the cheap shots that just roll in. that and a 50/50 at mid on kickoff should never lead to a straight shot. thats more a kickoff problem, not a boost grabber problem

what happened to no clue was unfortunate, but you cant account for those one in a hundred shots. they werent even particularly caused be someone going for boost, the first one wasnt a kickoff problem at all and the second was a bad 50/50 at mid that was perfectly placed for a followup shot. i dont think its a bad kickoff at all. they didnt make poor decisions, just got unfortunate luck.

getting more of a perspective on a situation is much more useful than getting trapped in goal waiting with your tail between your legs

edit: this is for 3s. i dont go for boost on 2s.

Started playing this again and just discovered the gaf thread for it.

Actually having 8 friends over tonight to play this across two 50" TVs, should be a good time, but it prompted me to start playing again and trying to get a little better.

Would love to get some 2 vs 2 matches going with some people, as I really want to get more practice in :) add me on PS4 if you'd be up for teaming up, my PSN is Chronospherics.

TheKeyPit

Banned
fuck I want the foam hat. last one i need. meanwhile I have 9 plungers, 6 boots , 5 paper boats, 7 deerstalkers, and many other countless fucking stupid hats lol. ugh

sadbron.png

Does anyone know if there is already a list for all new unlockables on Xbox One?

Guys, I just played my first ever games against guys with esl champion and esl elite tags. And.....I won. I also lost twice, but I also won. I got a good feeling right now guys. Feels nice. When I saw their tags I was like, oh god this matchmaking is horrible I'm gonna die. Then we started playing and they weren't blowing us away. It was weird. It was fun. I wanted to play them more but they left.

Watching at videos how the best play, I saw that they can do aerials like a god at some moments and sometimes they "screw up". Ground play isn't always perfect. They are no gods :D

going for boost puts you in a much better position for saving potential shots, as well as followups on good clears. being to the side of a goal with full boost is actually much more productive than sitting in goal with your neck staring up at a ball that could go anywhere around you. if you have someone cheating, they should cover the cheap shots that just roll in. that and a 50/50 at mid on kickoff should never lead to a straight shot. thats more a kickoff problem, not a boost grabber problem

what happened to no clue was unfortunate, but you cant account for those one in a hundred shots. they werent even particularly caused be someone going for boost, the first one wasnt a kickoff problem at all and the second was a bad 50/50 at mid that was perfectly placed for a followup shot. i dont think its a bad kickoff at all. they didnt make poor decisions, just got unfortunate luck.

getting more of a perspective on a situation is much more useful than getting trapped in goal waiting with your tail between your legs

edit: this is for 3s. i dont go for boost on 2s.

Interesting perspective and you are way better at the game than me but I just don't buy it. You don't need all that boost to make a save and if you have a guy cheat then you have 2 guys covering immediate threats on net. If the guy backflips to corner boost instead -- faster than goalie can get to it -- then THAT guy can rotate in position to cover the net quicker from the side in addition to a guy being already in net. I would do this and cheat the goalie up a little (less than a non-goalie would) if you really think having a guy with full boost at the side of the net is an advantage.

This is for 3's. In 4v4 all 4 should of course go for the KO at the same time with reckless abandon. If not someone hasn't been drinking enough :)

Soulflarz

Banned
I've seen the explanation enough from both sides and my take is
goals at KO shouldnt happen in 3s or 2s if you play it right. In 2s though, you need to cover the goal in case for half a second, then rush to the boost.

and what laz means- I think- is that between your boost and the guy who backflipped to the boost, someone should always theoretically be able to save the ball.

That's cool :)

I've played quite a few of the top ESL players when I used to play. Bumped into Kronovi and MikeRules and Gibbs a few times but I don't even know if they're the top anymore as I haven't been following things.

Kronovi and Gibbs and their team beat us pretty badly if I recall. Nothing spectacular but I remember that they went for more opportunities than I would consider and overall they converted more neutral balls into something than my team did.

I also played a game against Fyoshokid where he lost pretty badly and said it was lagging then left, but when I played against Gibbs he destroyed us with his team mate (can't recall name). Mike gave us a good game, can't remember the outcome. Some of these we played a few times, though my team mate was sometimes worse or better than I was, so that was a crucial factor. Some of the friends I play with were on the top 20 on the ranked leaderboard, but some others could barely control their cars.

These experiences were kind of the reason I stopped playing actually. Because when I quit I was in Gold III, so those games were stressful, but also most of these top players I met were in casual games. So it felt like I couldn't catch a break, and every playlist I hit be it casual or ranked seemed to turn into some sweaty competitive game. I don't see the point in ranked casual matchmaking, personally and I was only playing Rocket League for fun, and I think the players around me began taking a lot of the fun out of the experience, for me.

Soulflarz

Banned
Yeah, once you get above Rising Star (or at), unless you can't do off the wall hits and redirects (like unless you're actively missing a tool that they have), it's not really a "wow I'm hopeless and being crushed" it's moreso they're going for all these opportunities and stuff you'd never see. It's interesting, I'll give it that much. But it doesn't feel like a hopeless weight causing your loss.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Nah, fuck that, it's part of the game. Deal with and counter it or play another mode.

I'm okay with bumping, but demolishing is taking out a player for a couple of seconds and countering it when being run over from behind while trying to score a goal is not that easy.

Edit: That's my opinion on the matter. I think that in a competitive game mode one should consider to have a fair match, especially in 1v1. Fortunately the majority of matches is indeed fair.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
When someone successfully demolishes me in 1v1 and follows up with a goal you know what I do? I say well played or if I'm too lazy I say nice shot in quick chat. Because that's exactly what it is.

panty

The game is going down the shitter. On PS4 every every sixth game at least starts with only 5players and never finds the last one and at least every second game is a one where all name tags disapper making the game so fucking shit.

Also the amount of ballchasing idiots is so big when you have to play solo like me.

J. Bravo

demoing in 1s is sometimes the only way to save a goal lol. like when the ball is rolling in front of your goal and opponent is just waiting for it. they're literally asking to be demolished

Demolish should count as a foul imo, stop people mindlessly boosting into everything. Instant respawn and the player who did it disabled for a few seconds.

J. Bravo

Demolish should count as a foul imo, stop people mindlessly boosting into everything. Instant respawn and the player who did it disabled for a few seconds.

you must be fun at parties
/s

it is annoying in 2s when ppl are smurfing and one of the ppl goes around bumping and demoing thbe higher ranked person while the other player 1v1s the noob. happens a lot late nights :(

Lazulic

Interesting perspective and you are way better at the game than me but I just don't buy it. You don't need all that boost to make a save and if you have a guy cheat then you have 2 guys covering immediate threats on net. If the guy backflips to corner boost instead -- faster than goalie can get to it -- then THAT guy can rotate in position to cover the net quicker from the side in addition to a guy being already in net. I would do this and cheat the goalie up a little (less than a non-goalie would) if you really think having a guy with full boost at the side of the net is an advantage.

This is for 3's. In 4v4 all 4 should of course go for the KO at the same time with reckless abandon. If not someone hasn't been drinking enough :)

sorry, your wording is pretty confusing and im having a bit of trouble getting all your points.

i wasnt trying to shoot down your opinion, and i dont think my opinion holds more ground cause im "better", i was just saying that i dont think no clue are making mistakes or bad decisions with the way they do kickoffs. you cant really predict the things that they got hit with, rather you cant plan around them

Soulflarz

Banned

X__X

*adds this to your shortlist of banning others who you don't like and that MMR ranking is why you're stuck at your rank*

Soulflarz

Banned
Reminder Rocket League plays closer to other sports at a high level

Yes, it's 'soccer with cars', but like hell it actually plays anything like soccer. The closest thing is dribbling, but once you get in the air, I think soccer is one of the last things I'd compare it to.

It really is its own thing.

Yes, it's 'soccer with cars', but like hell it actually plays anything like soccer. The closest thing is dribbling, but once you get in the air, I think soccer is one of the last things I'd compare it to.

Headers don't exist!

TheDanimal

One of my friends constantly compares to Rocket League to pool. I think this is the most apt comparison tbh.
;)

AcridMeat

Banned
Nope, just like football, fouls get punished not rewarded.
People foul to prevent opportunities/goals in soccer literally every game. What the hell are you talking about?

It's difficult enough to commit to a demo and execute on one, that if you're preventing a goal, or blowing up a keeper for an opening, that's a well executed play.

Soulflarz

Banned
Headers don't exist!

Spin that car!

One of my friends constantly compares to Rocket League to pool. I think this is the most apt comparison tbh.
;)

I honestly think it plays like pool. Your friend sounds very smart, I think I would like to meet him!

:V

People foul to prevent opportunities/goals in soccer literally every game. What the hell are you talking about?

It's difficult enough to commit to a demo and execute on one, that if you're preventing a goal, or blowing up a keeper for an opening, that's a well executed play.

I honestly think it's harder to get a good demo than it is to get a good shot- you have to be in a good position and you have to kill them fast enough that they can't do a short jump over you and clear it. Even then, you need to get back over to the ball and shoot it in before they do.

So is there a point in getting multiple copies of the same topper?

Demoralization of not having gotten a new one.

TheKeyPit

Banned

It's okay in 2+v2+, because if someone gets demolished there is still at least one player left.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Headers don't exist!
Flying headers that come from above the goal don't exist. Someone jumping from one side of the pitch to the other to head the ball in don't exist. Flips in midair tend not to exist either. Real football also doesn't have walls on each side of he pitch that players run up and jump off of do do trick shots.

Lots of things in rocket league don't exist in real football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom