• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majukun

ok..why at kick off people in fron to f the goal leave their position to go grab the booster in the corner???
you can just sit on the booster in front of the goal and recharge that way..instead they leve their goljkeeper position and end up conceding a goal...it's just me or it is incredibly stupid?there's something i'm missing?

ok..why at kick off people in fron to f the goal leave their position to go grab the booster in the corner???
you can just sit on the booster in front of the goal and recharge that way..instead they leve their goljkeeper position and end up conceding a goal...it's just me or it is incredibly stupid?there's something i'm missing?

It is a bad move yes. Typically goalie would hold his position until he sees the ball cross the midfield and then start moving into a midfield position. Leaving the goal early can cause easy goals to happen and it seems to have increased in regularity recently. I'm also finding perma-keepers who never leave the goal under any circumstance more common too and it's really messing with my cycling. It can be a real pain having to work around others playstyles sometimes.

J. Bravo

I am better at simultaneously saving and clearing the ball with full boost from the side. If the person going for kickoff misses the ball or gets an unlucky pinch, that's on them. Even the unlucky pinches can be avoided. I only stay in goal in solo 3s.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Going for the boost is a good idea, but one should be aware where the ball could go next and then go for the boost when there is no danger. That's what I'm doing and it's pretty successful. I'm even using ball-cam while going for the boost to keep the ball in view. Some players turn ball cam off, so they can grab the boost without missing it.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
No problem.

I wish I had actually used it myself to be more helpful with it, but if my friend figured it out, I'm sure many people can.

it's very simple to use. just run the program, select the training drills (you can also create setups within the program). Get into RL and jump into free play mode. By default the Reset button will trigger the exercise drill. If you have multiple drills selected, it'll choose one randomly.

Latest version on the official thread:
psyonix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=20580&start=80#p275392

Grinchy

Banned
If you're playing 2v2, in my opinion, you never go for boost on a kickoff. You start next to a boost pad, so you have all the boost you could possibly need to make a save if necessary. If your partner wins the kickoff, there are a ton of boost pads leading up to the action. Going to the side of the field is just completely unnecessary.

Dispatch

If you're playing 2v2, in my opinion, you never go for boost on a kickoff. You start next to a boost pad, so you have all the boost you could possibly need to make a save if necessary. If your partner wins the kickoff, there are a ton of boost pads leading up to the action. Going to the side of the field is just completely unnecessary.

This is the correct answer.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Made it to shooting star in solo standard. In doing so today I have been called a son of a whore, a fuckface and cancer. But it's all worth it in the end. I've learned how to play 3s effectively now. For a long time it was my weakest game mode. Now. I'm shooting star in everything except 1v1 which I'm rising star.

If there is a teammate further up and closer to the ball you have to assume they are going to try to make a play on it. It sucks when you have a better touch lined up but they likely have no idea of this. If you just sit back and read the play -- where their (unintentional) pass is gonna go -- you'll often find yourself with an even better touch and might be quick chatting "great pass!" instead of "#@$%!"

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
If there is a teammate further up and closer to the ball you have to assume they are going to try to make a play on it. It sucks when you have a better touch lined up but they likely have no idea of this. If you just sit back and read the play -- where their (unintentional) pass is gonna go -- you'll often find yourself with an even better touch and might be quick chatting "great pass!" instead of "#@$%!"
This is truth.

Soulflarz

Banned
I hate teammates.

The useless touches are especially annoying, just got to tap it to screw up a hit, gaining nothing from it.

edit: Oh shit I missed a glorious idiot clip, oh well, fodder for another vid.

Breaking it down to give you a better understanding of these plays.

Play 1: you all missed a plethora of times. This was a team failure, he tried to do something desperate at the end resulting in a goal. A better team would have shot that in off the first touch, and if not then, the second touch.
Yes, your teammate did bad, but that situation shouldn't have existed at all.

Play 2: Technically, someone should've been as far back as the guy we have a camera on, but we don't have enough context backwards to see positioning. However, as the farthest guy back, even if his teammate is going to take a "worthless touch", he shouldn't be risking any sort of 50-50: the shot isn't going to go in yet and he's the last line of defense. Just a thing to note- as the farthest back guy, be careful about when you're shooting, since most players who don't have voice chat aren't going to expect someone to take that risk.

Play 3: Low level play, people go for boost instead of saves. Yep, it's bad. They'll learn eventually though!

Yep. You see they're about to take a shot at it and you have a teammate who can block an easy one back already? You're probably going to try and ruin the shot as is, which is what he tried to do. It's not really their job to expect someone to be coming up when there are two up already. This is because the person who did the 'useless touch' can't rotate back in time anyways.

Now, this doesn't make his touch any better- it's very light and doesn't work too well. However, it's more important to see where you can improve, since self improvement helps you reach higher levels where your opponents and teammates are better too!
Basically, it is important to realize when someone is going to try for it vs when it's your turn to rotate up in 3s.

(also sidenote if your teammate has already gone up for it, don't roll and boost forward, you can still try and backflip+uturn/ebrake in time, which is what I would suggest doing.)

TheKeyPit

Banned
I've played a lot of matches with two friends today. It was fun. We found opponents in standard mode that stuck for a couple of matches. We wanted to stop playing at the end, but only after our next win. We lost two times then and said that we'll win the next one. One friend added that we'll win 5-0, but I said that it will be a 6-0. Guess what, we won 6-0.

Oceanic seems to have a few salty sorts lately around shooting star 2s last few days. Have had one person last night complain via quick chat then quit on me within 30 seconds of game starting, one checking my hours of playtime assuming that means I'm any good at the game (sorry I can't air dribble from the wall guy!) and and another (in 3s) trying to demo all game instead of only demoing when it's worthwhile then blaming me.

This game lately, I dunno. I love the game but the community sometimes can be draining. But we all know that by now :)

Ruruja

This game lately, I dunno. I love the game but the community sometimes can be draining. But we all know that by now :)

It's probably the worst community I've experienced in an online game, but the game is too good to drop, so I guess I gotta live with it. I don't know if it's linked with the rise in narcissism these days, but 99% of players refuse to take any blame for anything, it's always somebody else's fault - you can only improve when you realise you messed up and try to fix it.

Some people are just crazy hostile though, for example, just now my party bugged out and my friend didn't join the match, and this person just lost the plot, needs to take a break from the game or something:

20160505233125_1.jpg

It's probably the worst community I've experienced in an online game, but the game is too good to drop, so I guess I gotta live with it. I don't know if it's linked with the rise in narcissism these days, but 99% of players refuse to take any blame for anything, it's always somebody else's fault - you can only improve when you realise you messed up and try to fix it.

It's mainly because people who suck and complain (they go hand in hand) just chase the ball around and never rotate back on D, so when a goal is conceded they blame whoever was furthest back, which conveniently is never them (as they are always up chasing the ball). And then when they watch the replay again all they watch is the ball and they are usually off screen (as they don't hustle to get back) so in their warped minds they really think they are the best player on the pitch. It's literally always someone else's fault.

Turning off all chat for a day or two is the cure. I do this whenever the salt starts getting to me and it really helps me focus on my own play vs what some jackass is saying. Just make sure you go for all kickoffs when there are 2 spots as it is better to send two guys than none!

Breaking it down to give you a better understanding of these plays.

Play 1: you all missed a plethora of times. This was a team failure, he tried to do something desperate at the end resulting in a goal. A better team would have shot that in off the first touch, and if not then, the second touch.
Yes, your teammate did bad, but that situation shouldn't have existed at all.

What do youmean we all missed? It was a shot by enemy team going wide and my teammate nudged it into the middle of the goal area, I knocked it sideways just in time to stop a shot/sure goal from enemy team, and the guy who nudged it to middle had turned around and then scored an own goal, costing the match since was overtime.

----

Also which one of you did I capture in that video so you downvoted it?

Soulflarz

Banned
What do youmean we all missed? It was a shot by enemy team going wide and my teammate nudged it into the middle of the goal area, I knocked it sideways just in time to stop a shot/sure goal from enemy team, and the guy who nudged it to middle had turned around and then scored an own goal, costing the match since was overtime.

----

Also which one of you did I capture in that video so you downvoted it?

Ah, let me reword
*All of you missed the full clear, 3rd guy is totally at fault though.

Your teammate was dumb there. Play 2 is the one you should analyze more though, it could really help ^_^

and wasn't me!

TheKeyPit

Banned

Some people are just crazy hostile though, for example, just now my party bugged out and my friend didn't join the match, and this person just lost the plot, needs to take a break from the game or something:

Is there no chat filter on your platform? If I type "shit" on Xbox One, the message will be discarded because of inappropriate language.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Do other platforms, beside Xbox One, have a "Your world expands - spring 2016" banner in the game? At first I thought this could have something to do with crossplay.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
GRRRRR

GIVE ME THE FUCKING OPTION TO REJOIN HE GAME BEFORE YOU BAN ME FOR CHRIST SAKE

Giving me the option once then failing is not enough. I should be able to attempt to rejoin multiple times. Manually. Fuck sake.

Can't believe they still haven fixed this.

Turning off all chat for a day or two is the cure. I do this whenever the salt starts getting to me and it really helps me focus on my own play vs what some jackass is saying. Just make sure you go for all kickoffs when there are 2 spots as it is better to send two guys than none!

Great advice. Not long ago, I spent a week or so with all chat off so I could focus on practicing. Only played in casual (which I usually do anyway) and made sure to be conservative on kickoffs. Otherwise, I tried to do a lot more aerials and wall hits (the latter being the part I was really working on), while trying not to ignore rotations. Allowed me to improve my wall game without worrying about some yahoos complaining about my hits and misses.

Turning off chat allows you play much more freely, especially when you would otherwise have those annoying teammates that say Wow! every time you make a mistake or bump into them. They don't realize they can make their teammates tentative and focused on mistakes when they do that (along with the sarcastic Nice shot! and What a save!).

Do other platforms, beside Xbox One, have a "Your world expands - spring 2016" banner in the game? At first I thought this could have something to do with crossplay.

I'm on PS4 and don't see it. Wonder if PC users see it since they'll be cross-playing with Xbox. That reminds me, has Psyonix said anything recently about any progress with Sony (and MS) on having all three cross-play? I would imagine if they could at least get private rooms working for it, they could then have tournaments including all three platforms. Though I'm sure they'd prefer to have matchmaking as well--as would most of us of course.

I confess i'm a tool with quick chat at times, I can't help myself. I will compliment the other team if they make a great save, but I do like to spam wow! if they make an error. Funny thing is is that you don't want to fuck up then because you know you'll get it back. It's great fun.

Found this shot on reddit: https://gfycat.com/PotableSadCob

Crazy end to regulation.

Outrageous skill

bad day today..i lost pretty much all the matches bar one and went down 2 divisions...

I find that I'm either shit hot or just shit. I can go down 4 divisions one night and get promoted 4 the next night. The difference in skill and tactical play can be stark.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I'm on PS4 and don't see it. Wonder if PC users see it since they'll be cross-playing with Xbox. That reminds me, has Psyonix said anything recently about any progress with Sony (and MS) on having all three cross-play? I would imagine if they could at least get private rooms working for it, they could then have tournaments including all three platforms. Though I'm sure they'd prefer to have matchmaking as well--as would most of us of course.

Nothing new regarding crossplay so far. They originally said "summer" for crossplay between PC/Xbox and I think it will be ready for E3.

--------------

A 10 minute overtime is crazy!

I am playing doubles with someone (kind of a troll but really good) a rank above me. We had a 5-4 lead on the opposing team with posession on their side with 0 seconds left. He starts juggling it around, lobs it up and an opponent launches it down court. I went to stop the ball and hit it in on accident. Lost after 3 minutes in OT.

Div IV shooting star now. I am never going to get to All Star...

J. Bravo

I am playing doubles with someone (kind of a troll but really good) a rank above me. We had a 5-4 lead on the opposing team with posession on their side with 0 seconds left. He starts juggling it around, lobs it up and an opponent launches it down court. I went to stop the ball and hit it in on accident. Lost after 3 minutes in OT.

Div IV shooting star now. I am never going to get to All Star...

me either. and i have grand champion friend.s i just like playing with them bcause i know im good enoguh sometimes but not all the time. and it let sme know to work on certin things. anyways when we beat pros its nice.

Grinchy

Banned
So there's a new AI - Capt. Slow. I said in chat "oh blue team has James May!" and the AI responded with "cock". It was brilliant.

Some people put an avatar picture of the AI square and pretend to be a bot. It becomes obvious when they get put on the orange team and they have a blue AI square for an avatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom