• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinchy

Banned
So is there a point in getting multiple copies of the same topper?

It's not confirmed, but it's quite obvious that they are going to do a crafting/trading type of thing in the future. Apparently it was in the alpha.

I wonder if a few years down the road if Rocket League will have its own economy with crates and keys and stuff.

Babalu.

hey is there anyway to see highlights or the actual stream of the tournament with all the cool good production value you guys are talking about.

want to watch it tomorrow at work.

GiJoccin

why do people, when they're doing aerials, constantly rotate? does it help you speed up? or are they doing it out of habit/for show?

Soulflarz

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srGvkE6fi5I

why do people, when they're doing aerials, constantly rotate? does it help you speed up? or are they doing it out of habit/for show?

Cause they suck and watched the Kronovi beta montage and think it's easy :')

Freestyling has no tactical advantage at all- other than your opponents have no idea what you're doing half the time and if you can do it you can generally do a high level air dribble, but you learn those the other way around.

It's like the guys trying to do off the wall flips before they learn how to land all their ground aerials, or trying to learn aerials when they still miss on the ground a lot. It's a bad idea.

J. Bravo

Just watched laz beat insolences on steam haha. wg sir

Edit: and they did it again, all thanks to insolences teammate....Lmao. Literally gasped I was so shocked. He had you guys dead to rights. Ez ot

TheKeyPit

Banned
I once metioned that I had an extremely high ping. It could reach 998 and it could be even worse, but the game only displays a ping of 998 max. I'm know pretty sure that it's the fault of my mother's Galaxy S5. When her phone is connected to the WLAN, my ping goes occasionally to shit. Any help? Otherwise I'll just create a thread for this.

Lazulic

Just watched laz beat insolences on steam haha. wg sir

Edit: and they did it again, all thanks to insolences teammate....Lmao. Literally gasped I was so shocked. He had you guys dead to rights. Ez ot

haha that fuckin last second dribble on that one game where his teammate came in and completely fucked it. i was dying laughing.

shandy706

This is now my wife's, my 8 year old daughter's, and my favorite game. They both ask to play with me every time I start up a game.

Great stuff!!

My sons (15 and 11) love the game and often play it on their own. My 7-year old daughter likes playing with me. She used to just drive around going to the "gas station" (collecting the big boosts) and the "store" (our opponents goal usually). Now she tries to play a little more purposely.

She used to accidentally blow people up and earned the nickname "Demolition Girl." Now she'll sometimes drive around and demo people on purpose, excitedly saying, "Demolition Girl is here!" Too funny. Snow Day is her favorite playlist, but she likes Rocket Labs, too.

My wife played a little with us in the beginning, but got frustrated when she just ended up driving on the walls and ceiling. Was hilarious, though. We encouraged her to play more, but she doesn't want to. She doesn't like doing things in front of other people if it might be embarrassing. Could get her to play on her own to learn but she's not interested in investing the time. Maybe I can convince my daughter to guilt-trip my wife in to playing together. :p

jediyoshi

Same reason why in pro games players don't tend to stop; it's quicker to make adjustments if you're already in motion versus being still. Though I imagine for most people it's a matter of habit or orienting themselves with the surface they're landing on.

Bollocks

that fucking match making, just went from division 4 straight to 1, now every game is on the line, do I get better teammates? no? own goal last second, because they thought that facing our goal it is the best to go after the ball, even when I was in goal and going for the clear.
kickoff? let's both go for the boost and don't use quick chat either.
oh bollocks tries to center the ball, let me center the ball too.
oh bollocks has an open shot, let me block him out of nowhere.
high lob to 2 teammates, ok they gonna contest, no need for me to drive over and have all 3 in the same spot, noone bothers to contest.
oh you're closest to the ball? let's not contest just casually drive back and let them move the ball to our goal uncontested.
also quit for the very first time in ranked because they fucking drove into me during kickoff, they couldn't even drive straight, and if he was going for the boost why not the other side.
not to mention that you don't get the boost during that kickoff so that you can get a quick follow up shot in just in case, but whatever, I shouldn't expect this from my teammates.
these are the people I get matchmaked with.

Another great milestone! Thanks to all of you, we have now surpassed 15 million players worldwide! #BestCommunityEver

Also got this in last week...
4EubvkJ.jpg

Soulflarz

Banned
*has to deal with a steam friend whining endlessly for 2 days that they're actually depressed that they'll never get better and they've been rank locked for the past 190 hours*

K i l l m e

If you don't improve in 190 hours, you're not trying to improve. That is to say, you're not trying anything new and the way you play isn't productive as is.
Dunno what else to say there, people need to suck it up and go into training for trying things. Or trying things that are *slightly* above their skill level and not way out of it.

We all had to learn aerials by failing hundreds of times :')

Soulflarz

Banned
Maybe Rocket League is just not for him

I said this and they insisted they must improve

tbh, I see this a lot in RL- where people keep saying they'll improve and waste dozens upon dozens of hours without trying to improve at all and only resort to complaining.

Guys

You can competently play rocket league at a notably high level in <200 hours if you really try.

Idk, just gets annoying seeing people give the same view over and over and never wanting to change.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Have you played it pretty constantly in that time? You may have done. Take a few days to a week off and when you for back, you'll feel like you're better again.

That's a good advise.

*has to deal with a steam friend whining endlessly for 2 days that they're actually depressed that they'll never get better and they've been rank locked for the past 190 hours*

K i l l m e

If you don't improve in 190 hours, you're not trying to improve. That is to say, you're not trying anything new and the way you play isn't productive as is.
Dunno what else to say there, people need to suck it up and go into training for trying things. Or trying things that are *slightly* above their skill level and not way out of it.

We all had to learn aerials by failing hundreds of times :')

I wish the training modes would have even more setups. I'd really like to improve my save-skills further. And now that I think of it, the better I got at saving I got worse at shooting :/

With a lot of players still not rotating in 3v3, and with me stuck in the goal for 80%+ of the match, this doesn't help either.

That's a good advise.

I wish the training modes would have even more setups. I'd really like to improve my save-skills further. And now that I think of it, the better I got at saving I got worse at shooting :/

With a lot of players still not rotating in 3v3, and with me stuck in the goal for 80%+ of the match, this doesn't help either.

We probably won't see it until Rocket League 2 but customizable training -- being able to move and manipulate the position of the ball cannons -- would be awesome as there is so much stuff that happens in games you can't simulate in current training / practice.

I think goalie training is actually pretty good in terms of setups but what it really needs is a rapid fire mode where different shots are fired every 3-4 seconds so you have to make the save, land correctly and scramble back into position for the next shot in time.

Soulflarz

Banned

I really want that. The potential to improve skill at off the wall shots if there was a training for it... <3

Grinchy

Banned

We probably won't see it until Rocket League 2 but customizable training -- being able to move and manipulate the position of the ball cannons -- would be awesome as there is so much stuff that happens in games you can't simulate in current training / practice.

I think goalie training is actually pretty good in terms of setups but what it really needs is a rapid fire mode where different shots are fired every 3-4 seconds so you have to make the save, land correctly and scramble back into position for the next shot in time.

I really want that. The potential to improve skill at off the wall shots if there was a training for it... <3

This video is in French, and I haven't used this software, but my friend just got into it and says it's really awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEpncDtDqeg

There are apparently user-made configs that you can choose from.

This video is in French, and I haven't used this software, but my friend just got into it and says it's really awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEpncDtDqeg

There are apparently user-made configs that you can choose from.

Awesome! Of course I am on PS4 :( but just the existence of this makes me hope Psyonix might implement something similar in the near future for the consoles. Would speed up learning curve tremendously.

I said this and they insisted they must improve

tbh, I see this a lot in RL- where people keep saying they'll improve and waste dozens upon dozens of hours without trying to improve at all and only resort to complaining.

Guys

You can competently play rocket league at a notably high level in <200 hours if you really try.

Idk, just gets annoying seeing people give the same view over and over and never wanting to change.

I gotta admit I spent a LOT of hours not really knowing what to do to improve. I spent time in aerial training getting good at it only to suck at it in an actual match. When I started spending more time in free training I certainly saw a big improvement but I still don't feel like I've made enough progress to play with the better players yet. I still scuff it, whiff aerials and flail like a fish out of water trying a save from time to time, but then out of nowhere I'll start making some pretty nice shots.

I know that feeling where it seems like you've hit a brick wall, it really sucks. There's also little else to do but suck it up and keep at it either though. I do think some just learn slower than others though with RL, but the biggest factor I find is how much of it requires muscle memory which has to be brute forced to an extent.

At 200 hours of trying to learn properly my best shot is probably this, which while I consider it good by my standard, I also feel like I should be more consistent with it. While I already knew how to do the shot a while back, I only recently developed the muscle memory to actually do it.

But going from that to whiffing the easiest save does demoralize a lot. I tend to just go to youtube for more tutorials if I feel like I'm slipping up way too much again. I can imagine it sucks having people vent at you when they're messing up, but I also know their pain. There's plenty of resources available out there to help practice though anyway. Luckily I don't rage at the game though, which so many people seem to do and that's probably a contribution to the mindset of being stuck at a skill level.

Pepiope

Not sure if it's just anecdotal, but when I go to reset the ball (RB) on PC in training (free play) while watching a replay of a goal, the game crashes.

Someone else test it out lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom