• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
PSY・S;204585337 said:
did Xbox Live steal all the PC cross-players. I can barely find a game.

There may be an issue with the mm server since the crossplay patch. Try disabling crossplay for now, see if you match faster.

gergstep

Neo Member
What does everyone think the likelihood of ps4/pc/xbox crossplay happening in the future is? Pretty lame I have to disable cross-play to find a game right now..

Edit: I do imagine they have some kinks to work out, and Overwatch did just release, so maybe I'm being hasty in my frustration

Salsa

had to eat a 15 minute ban cause I got thrice partnered with a guy who wouldnt play

he'd do a flip and stay upside down or try to ram me during both matches

this is on 2v2 ranked

just abandoned the match by the third time cause fuck that

everyone in the match reported him. nothing will happen tho

we ever gonna get a chance to do more than that? wouldnt even mind recording the thing and sending it to someone I guess?

shit like that happens a lot on SAM servers

I haven't played much of this game since July of last year, but I'm getting back into it again. The part I have trouble with the most is defending while completely stopped. What are tips for being a good goalie?

Also, got my first aerial goal ever! Was a great feeling.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Played two matches with cross-play on Xbox One. Worked immediately fine after the update.

PC players have a small
rl_shield_logo.png
avatar instead of the PSYNET stuff. I like it, because sometimes the Xbox picture wouldn't load and someone had that PSYNET thing despite being an Xbox player.

Lets see how this will hold up later today.

Edit:
Awesome news for PC and XB1 players. Should help Xbox players ramp up more quickly, and benefits both PC and XB1 matchmaking.

Unfortunately, this will hurt PS4 matchmaking. At least those who haven't disabled crossplay. So I hope PC/XB1/PS4 matchmaking and private rooms are announced soon. From Corey's post, it doesn't sound imminent. Though maybe he's just being coy because of NDAs and such.

I've seen you post this many times. Could you tell me exactly how this will hurt PS4 matchmaking. I want a good example. ;)

Salsa

I found a hilarious guy today also

I did the classic corner pass + blowing up the goalie

he went on a rant about how that was a shitty pussy move to "blow up the goalie like a dick"

and how it was totally disrespectful to them

and that I had "oh wow so much skill" by doing it

lmao

bjaelke

Cross-network play is not permitted for some players on this server.

SappYoda

I found a hilarious guy today also

I did the classic corner pass + blowing up the goalie

he went on a rant about how that was a shitty pussy move to "blow up the goalie like a dick"

and how it was totally disrespectful to them

and that I had "oh wow so much skill" by doing it

lmao

I don't get why people get so mad about bumping/demos. They are part of the game...

Ran rp

There may be an issue with the mm server since the crossplay patch. Try disabling crossplay for now, see if you match faster.

I tried that last night and still couldn't find a game. I'm trying again now but there are only ~380 people playing Solo Standard vs the ~1000 last night.

edit: i was able to get into 1 or 2 games soon after the patch but no luck after that.

jett

D-Member
What kind of camera settings do you people have? I increased the FOV, height and put the angle at 0 to get a better look at the high-flying action. Not sure if this has made any difference to be honest. :p

I've seen you post this many times. Could you tell me exactly how this will hurt PS4 matchmaking. I want a good example. ;)

Well, let's ignore the wonkiness with the recent PS4 matchmaking. Corey addressed that, and I'm sure it will get stabilized.

That said, this is how the PC-XB1 crossplay will hurt PS4 matchmaking (with PC):

1. PC user goes into a playlist with crossplay on. The matchmaking system decides how to populate that match but must decide between XB1 and PS4 players to help fill it.
2. PS4 player goes into same playlist at the same time. Has similar skill rating to PC user above. Would normally be matched with him. But if the system decides to populate that match with an XB1 player first, the PS4 player has to wait for the system to match him into another match.

It is essentially cutting the available PC pool for matchmaking roughly in half, depending on skill rating matches and number of available players. This also affects XB1 players. However, the PC-XB1 matchmaking pool, even with half the PC users at any given time, should still be better than just matchmaking within their own pool.

Of course, if any PS4 users already had crossplay disabled, they won't see any adverse effects. In fact, if PS4 players decide to disable crossplay, it might actually speed up their matchmaking, though the match-ups might not be as balanced because it's coming from a smaller pool.

This was my point about the less accurate matchmaking. If a PS4 player has to disable crossplay to speed up matchmaking, it will hurt the accuracy of the match-ups. If the system has to spend longer to match the PS4 player, it will again hurt the match-ups. And people are already not happy with the sometimes imbalanced match-ups they get now.

The good thing is that there are enough PS4 players that the extra delay may seem imperceptible at times. But it will depend on the skill level and number of available players at that skill level. I imagine high level matches will still get mostly PC-PS4 matches. And lower level matches would probably have enough people to split the matchmaking into PC-XB1 and PC-PS4 matches where needed. However, on the mid to high end, such as Challenger to Star, I think you'll see more delays. There are likely not as many XB1 players in those ranks, but enough to gum up the matchmaking decisions between PC-XB1 and PC-PS4 matches.

I'm Challenger II and III in the Standard playlists on PS4. More often than not, I get matched with other PS4 players. It takes quite some time already to get a match, and has been like that for weeks. I could imagine this will make those wait times even longer with the system deciding where to place PC players (either in XB1 or PS4 matches).

Hopefully, Psyonix can optimize this, and any delays will be imperceptible. I'm confident they will improve it since the matchmaking is the bread and butter of this game. That said, the best way to resolve this is to enable all three platforms to matchmake together. That may be a tall policy order, but it really is in the interest of everyone. So I'm sure it will get done. The question is when.

Edit: I would be remiss if I didn't point out that this has the potential to introduce matchmaking delays for crossplaying PC users as well. The upshot for them of course is they get another pool to matchmake from. So I imagine it would end up a net positive for them.

TheKeyPit

Banned
^Good post. It's obviously for the best when we get cross-play with all platforms. Till then, I think that(if everything will start to work fine after the recent update) the matchmaking will work just fine for all platforms.

Tomtis

I am so happy right now! 244 hours later i'm finally Grand Champion in 2v2. And this with no premades! Sorry for the bragging, but i'm so happy. Been close a few times before but it finally happened.

To afraid to play more right now, gonna enjoy the moment for a few days then derank as i presume will happen. :D

3MvB5tD.png

I am so happy right now! 244 hours later i'm finally Grand Champion in 2v2. And this with no premades! Sorry for the bragging, but i'm so happy. Been close a few times before but it finally happened.

To afraid to play more right now, gonna enjoy the moment for a few days then derank as i presume will happen. :D

3MvB5tD.png

Hell of an achievement.

Pepiope

http://i.imgur.com/3MvB5tD.png[/MG][/QUOTE]
Nice! Grand champ is where it's at!

TheKeyPit

Banned

3MvB5tD.png

Now I'd like to see how you play.

Salsa

the SAM stuff is fascinating, for real

absolutely every single person playing on those servers is a complete and utter dick

Salsa

I search on SAM and UE since I get okay ping on the latter

when someone's a total dick I check and im always on SAM

its mostly brazilians

I guess it's just soccer popularity here that makes people competitive or something

3MvB5tD.png
Congrats! That seems pretty fast, too!

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member

3MvB5tD.png

That's really fast in the timeframe of 250 hours, I'm at 150 and struggling to get out of Challenger 1 :(

Majukun

Actually, it's not fancy at all. I never ever go for freestyle-esque goals. Just try to play steady and do what's right in any given situation.

basically you re the white fly of the division,since all i seem to get are guys who want to play by themselves most of the time :p

Tomtis

Thanks guys.

basically you re the white fly of the division,since all i seem to get are guys who want to play by themselves most of the time :p

Yeah it can really be a pain in the ass sometimes. The thing you have to do is adapt and make the best out of it.

But i think there is a breakingpoint somewhere around the top divisions in Super Champion and above. Most of those guys can play, and won't complain to much. It really is night and day compared to Champion and under. Those guys are incredibly stupid and annoying, they only blame everyone else then themself, even tough they are the ones who suck ass.

They are in their ranks by a reason. It isn't coinfidence that the top tier players are the most tolerable and understanding.

ZeroSuitSheamus

Neo Member
I'm curious if any of you guys have training regimens you do, in addition to the usual online matches. For example, I'm in the early days of trying to improve my aerial control, so I do the rookie aerial training every time I boot up before I jump into matches. I figure once I can consistently 100% that (I probably average 65% now), I'll move up a level and so on.

Anyway, I'm looking for additional ideas for improving my game, so please share what's worked for you.

I'll be honest. I've played this game north of 400 hours, and I'm still not as mechanically skilled as I should be. I've done all the trainings, but I don't do them often. When I take time to do them, I'll keep repeating the same ball to see if I can be more consistent. That's more important than trying to get 10 out of 10.

However, I noticed that it didn't necessarily translate much in the games, especially the aerial training. I think it's because the limited angles and scenarios you're presented in training don't prepare you well for the chaos of games. If you're on PC, I would suggest using one of the custom training mods. I'm on PS4, so I'm stuck with the default training.

What does work well for me is the freeplay mode. If I even spend just a small bit of time hitting the ball around in freeplay, it helps my feel for the game. The new ball reset feature has helped a lot, though I heard this week's update now resets the car as well (disappointing if that's the case).

So my suggestion is to use freeplay and practice there first. Use the training sessions more if you can't replicate something in freeplay.

Edit: Didn't realize it was you! Still, we haven't talked about training yet, so hope my experience helps. Cheers!

I'm curious if any of you guys have training regimens you do, in addition to the usual online matches. For example, I'm in the early days of trying to improve my aerial control, so I do the rookie aerial training every time I boot up before I jump into matches. I figure once I can consistently 100% that (I probably average 65% now), I'll move up a level and so on.

Anyway, I'm looking for additional ideas for improving my game, so please share what's worked for you.

I stretch before every match

ZeroSuitSheamus

Neo Member
I stretch before every match

Always good to stay limber.

I have messed with Free Play, but the unfocused nature of it makes me lose interest quickly. It's like noodling on a guitar versus practicing a specific skill or piece of music. Although I have spent some time hitting balls up the wall and then trying to chase them and make solid hits. Maybe I just need to create my own focus in Free Play like that more.

Ghost23

I just need to play one game with a friend online to get the last trophy for the platinum. Could someone add me on PS4 so we could play a quick game? PSN is FuzzyNorman. Thanks!

J. Bravo

Just watched pep laz and krios lose a close one to kronovi insolences and kyle masc on stream. Wg boys. Makes me sad that the closest I can get to playing with pep and laz anymore is by watching streams lol

Soulflarz

Banned
tv with half a second of input lag, new account
10-0
challenger 2 already
what the hell is going on even

edit: 11-0
I think my HDMI board is dead so I should stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom