• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unicorn

Just got the sorting hat from Harry Potter:

Unlock made it look orange, but in the garage, it's brown
7D7E3862C460686315A668786D12ADEEC95B9956

4ED4BA0C22B6D54A3E76D05F52BEE9AE604A094D

Grinchy

Banned
I played the PS4 version last night for the first time in almost a year. I was surprised by how well the game runs on the console now. I didn't detect any frame drops at all.

My buddy and I just jumped right into ranked to see what was up and we won 9 out of our 10 qualifiers. We only played a few more games after that, but it actually did feel like it wasn't pitting us against people who were way above our skill level.

And the new Neo Tokyo map is soooo good. I can't believe anyone is complaining about this. It looks incredible, even on PS4, and it plays better than the Labs version. I'm really impressed with it. We got it twice during our qualifying matches.

I'm in rising star now and that tokyo map seems like playing roulette, people don't seem to have tactics or a decent amount of goal attempts ready. Not surprising though, I only play ranked so it's new for me too.
It is good to have new ranked stuff though. :p

TheKeyPit

Banned
Ranked Duel - Challenger 2: Slowly getting there to Challenger Elite / Rising Star.
Ranked Solo Standard - Prospect Elite: I'm basically where I was in season 2. I've only played Solo Standard for the placement matches back then. Excited to see where this journey will go.

Redbull

Good long interview. The game is nowhere near done and still their main focus. This bit annoyed me though....

Which begs the question – could we see Rocket League feature cross-network play between Xbox, PC and PlayStation 4 in the future?

“Well, I hope so,” says Dunham. “We think it’s the right direction to move for the industry, but we also understand that there are so many political ramifications in making that happen as quickly as we would like.

“We understand that these sorts of things take time, but we’re doing whatever we can to try and push the ball along. For example, we’ve built Rocket League with the idea of having cross-network play as a ‘pie in the sky’ feature, and once we got it working with Xbox One and PC, we expanded on that. So now, all we need to do honestly, is flip a switch. It’s a virtual switch – not a big button or anything – but if it ever came to the point where we had permission to do cross-platform on all platforms immediately, we could have it up and running within a business day. It would be very, very quick. We’ve made the game in preparation for that eventuality, so that when it happens, people can come in and experience it immediately. Our engineers are really, really good, and they spent a long time making it, so now we’re just waiting and hoping for that opportunity.”

Damn you platform holders!

Just because you're a legend doesn't mean you're good. It'll be about a week or so before you start consistently playing similar skilled opponents, but it's still pretty good practice until then.
I agree that rank doesn't necessarily denote skill, but if you watch 10 games of 3 legends vs 3 veterans (legit vets, not smurfs), it's pretty obvious what the outcome will be.

New matchmaking sucks, you do good in fair games, win a few and suddenly it dumps you with the shittiest teammates ever and expects you to carry them.

Well fuck you devs, I hold R2 and AFK until one of them quits, then I quit. Not carrying bags of shit.

Did you see any Challenger 3 players party up with Prospect 3 players? Did you see a party rank gap of more than 3 ranks?

Yes, I've seen more than 3 rank gap and watched countless streamers / pros able to team with whoever they want. I don't think it's a secret really as from what I've been able to gather Psyonix decided to wait until ranks settled a little (couple weeks?) before putting in the 3 rank buffer. Maybe one of the devs that frequent this thread can comment?

There doesn't seem to be much uproar about it which makes me think just like the rank wipe your average player had no clue about the proposed changes and of course top players / smurfs / boosters aren't gonna complain :)

New matchmaking sucks, you do good in fair games, win a few and suddenly it dumps you with the shittiest teammates ever and expects you to carry them.

I see this happen so often I almost wonder if it's by design? Instead of pitting you against stronger competition (higher average MMR) they handicap your team by throwing in lower rank players (kind of like how they designed the AI). So MMR wise you are facing a "tougher" team but really they just made your team worse. But this is likely just a matter of perception / randomness of matchmaking.

I see this happen so often I almost wonder if it's by design? Instead of pitting you against stronger competition (higher average MMR) they handicap your team by throwing in lower rank players (kind of like how they designed the AI). So MMR wise you are facing a "tougher" team but really they just made your team worse. But this is likely just a matter of perception / randomness of matchmaking.

Has to be, it's like clockwork.

If they were lacking in skill I'd be a bit forgiving, but when I'm the guy close at kick-off and say I got it, why are both other guys chasing behind me to centre too? Why when I cross are they up my arse instead of a receiving position? Why when I'm furthest at kick-off do they both drive for a boost instead of going for ball, with no chat warning or anything? Why never defend, or say 'defending' and proceed 3 seconds later to never leave the oppositions half. That's not lack of skill, it's not having a clue.

On an unrelated note, are those Cyclops visor goggles the things making that awful noise during gameplay and on menus?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I really hate what they did a few weeks ago. I went from typically playing with most other pro, expert players. To lots of rookie/semi pro and the game has become immensely less fun.

Same game one of my teammates hit me into the ball to score on our own net, while same guy hit it back at our goal. Followed by seeing 4 players whiff the same ball.

Pepiope

I really hate what they did a few weeks ago. I went from typically playing with most other pro, expert players. To lots of rookie/semi pro and the game has become immensely less fun.

Same game one of my teammates hit me into the ball to score on our own net, while same guy hit it back at our goal. Followed by seeing 4 players whiff the same ball.
Have to work your way back up. It'll go back to normal soon enough.

Ran rp

that's how it's always been in the lower ranks.

Here are the hitbox comparisons for all the cars including the new ones. Hope we get to see some variety now. Aftershock is a dominus clone, Marauder is a Octane clone and Masamune is a hybrid of both. Masamune is my bread and better now. Car is fantastic.

Noobcraft

Ranked Duel - Challenger 2: Slowly getting there to Challenger Elite / Rising Star.
Ranked Solo Standard - Prospect Elite: I'm basically where I was in season 2. I've only played Solo Standard for the placement matches back then. Excited to see where this journey will go.
I'm up to Challenger I and almost II in dual ranked. We should party up again sometime.

Ran rp

I've been using hotshot this whole time and just tried merc. this car is op.

hotshot used to feel the best to me though. strange.

Bollocks

is it me or is the community much more toxic now since everyone is reset and mad to get back up as quickly as possible?
got a router reset, psn message telling me I'm a fucking asshole for ragequitting nvm the fact we were actually in the lead.
occasionally noob texts when we loose by 1 goal.

is it me or is the community much more toxic now since everyone is reset and mad to get back up as quickly as possible?
got a router reset, psn message telling me I'm a fucking asshole for ragequitting nvm the fact we were actually in the lead.

This reset basically kicked a hornet's nest of players who were finally starting to chill out a little.

Psyonix just wants to watch the world burn.

I treat the toxic side of the community the way I do a slow dribble, in more ways than one. I'll either bait them into doing something stupid on a replay as they continue to talk crap or let them keep reeling off the insults until they walk into a comeback they weren't ready for. Quick chat seems to do the job most of the time anyway, but making them look the fool and watching them ragequit is almost a game in itself at the moment.

FWIW I'd never act this way to any other players than the smack talkers and even them I give them a small bit of leeway. Annoyingly the ones talking crap are normally the one holding the team back too, despite their 'leet skillz', but I'd still not put them down had they not initiated it. The better players are generally friendly or often full on silent, but we're stuck with this mixed pool for now so we just have to roll with it.

dot

Definitely... Just got out of a solo standard match with a master named Colin just bitching at me and the other guy calling us useless and names. So frustrating and it honestly makes me not want to play this game again. :(

i need to play this with friends but most people i know stopped playing

rip

I ranked up to Standard Prospect II Div IV (all the way from Div I) and what do I get? Put on a team worse then any I had in the previous two divisions. Neither of them could aerial, track, anything worth a damn while the opposition was doing donuts around their lack of defensive ability. Might have been their placement rounds, I can only guess. Sigh. I abandoned them.

Ranked world problems. Still fun as hell.

TheKeyPit

Banned
One should immediately cancel the matchmaking process when having bad luck in training mode.
I didn't and I forfeited two matches(Ranked Duel), because I totally sucked and fucked up everything. + I dropped 2 divisions...

N.Domixis

Banned
Hoops is so hard its ridiculous. I played a whole day of it and managed to get 5 baskets. Then I see people get 5 in one match. I'm done with that mode.

Definitely... Just got out of a solo standard match with a master named Colin just bitching at me and the other guy calling us useless and names. So frustrating and it honestly makes me not want to play this game again. :(

i need to play this with friends but most people i know stopped playing

rip

Playing with friends is obviously the best option but be sure to make use of chat options given to you. Setting things to quick chat only gets rid of anything assholes type. If anyone spams quick chat on either team or your teammate dumps on you sarcastically with it just mute them. You can also disable chat completely (you can function fine without it, albeit lose the social aspect of game). Whatever you do do don't let dicks ruin this great game for you.

Holy crap, these ranking resets have me angry and happy all at the same time. Played a Season 2 Grand Champion and lost 6-0. It was a spectacular game, and he or she deserved every goal. But that level of play is unreal.

I've been having a really odd bug for a while with this. Sometime when I boot the game it either takes ages to open or doesn't open and says 'Graphics Card doesn't support Alpha FX' or something along those lines. Today it went with slow and opened with no sound. The strange thing is the trigger to opening it when it hangs is usually opening task manager. It usually sorts itself out when I boot it a second time but it's just becoming a little confusing.

Has anyone else had anything like this? I've found reports of it on google but it usually ties back to faulty hardware etc and I don't have any problems with any other games, or even RL when I boot it the second time.

Edit: Ironically my GF just came through the door and said The Sims was doing the same on her laptop. This is a W10 thing it seems?

vapor

I know, right?

The circles on the ground under the ball show the inner circle over the line, and the outer circle still just outside the line. I guess the effect played on the ball doesn't quite use the same math. I've got hundreds of hours in the game, but have never seen the entire ball go black and not be a goal!

*edit - a couple images to show it off in closer detail*

UQ86dzy.jpg

he3TVoS.jpg

TheKeyPit

Banned
DFH Stadium: What did they think with putting that sun in there. It happened four times so far that I got blinded by that sun and couldn't see the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom