• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bollocks

man that game is fucking fun, had a group of 6 going, played all evening.

there's a type though in the game, it's called Colombia not Columbia

@RocketLeague tweeted our Rocket League in Real Life video! Yessss

ECUVYB.png

Skittles

I don't know why but i'm having the biggest giggle about my car having a fucking wizard hat and saturn antennae. Game is already GOAT, spectacular sequel to one my favorite PS3 games. This one is gonna get so much more playtime than the ps3 one though! Mostly because I didn't start playing this one when the online was dead haha

Got it on PC, game is great, runs perfectly maxed out. May push it to 1440p or even 4k.

I want the sombrero so badly. Adding hats to this game was a stroke of genius.

Maps with weather tank my fps 10-20. To the devs. When I play with bloom off I get a graphic glitch at the start that bakes in some light sources like stadium lighting, rockets, headlights etc..They will stay there all match unless i go in and mess with the bloom setting. If I turn it on again off again it will go away. It's happens at the start of a new map or the main menu.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
110 FOV, 230 distance, 100 height, -0.3 angle, 0.75 stiffness

can you give us an update about the server situation? Seems you guys have overcome the biggest problems?

Also, again, thanks to ALL of you for doing a superb job. not only the techies working nonstop on the servers, also to everyone else supporting the team, to you and dave and corey and dunham and and and for beeing so open and connected and light-hearted to the poeple, on reddit, on twitter and here.
You guys rock!

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
The one thing I miss though from being a huge fan of the original PS3 game is the lack of an awesome game theme song. The PS3 game had this amazing song about the game and it just rocked (literally).

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
The one thing I miss though from being a huge fan of the original PS3 game is the lack of an awesome game theme song. The PS3 game had this amazing song about the game and it just rocked (literally).

dude, what? Youve listened to the soundtrack? That thing is dope as fuck!

Hasney

Probably just the framerate/smoothness? There's only one map (Urban Central) that runs at a stable 60fps on PS4, all the others drop below that to various degrees.

I'm not seeing this at all. I doubt running it in 720p has an effect as it rarely does in a console game, but I have got VSync off, which works but you need to restart the game when toggling it. Both versions seem as smooth as each other.

Although if we get the frame cap removed, I'm playing in 120 fo sho.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Also, I've improved a ton from beta. Nailing almost every shot, there's just this great feeling of being in the zone and getting the rhythm of the physics. Love how I know how to get accurate shots to go exactly where I want by hitting the ball at the right angle and speed.

How do you do that when the game is a chaotic mess of 8 players, all rushing the ball at all times, though? Feels impossible to get any clean shots in in those matches.

I'm not seeing this at all. I doubt running it in 720p has an effect as it rarely does in a console game, but I have got VSync off, which works but you need to restart the game when toggling it. Both versions seem as smooth as each other.

Although if we get the frame cap removed, I'm playing in 120 fo sho.

It's not far below 60, but it's absolutely not AT 60 except for that one map. There's just a bit of smoothness missing.

Performance got way worse when I tried toggling v-sync. Seemed like it was running in the 40s, there was massive tearing, etc. I didn't restart the game in-between though, maybe that's key.

Anyone else having audio issues in remote play where the sound cuts out every couple seconds? Only happens in this game, not the main menu or other games, so it's not my network. Full restart of the PS4 didn't fix it

I remember this happening in the beta as well

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Successfully recruited a few of my real life friends tonight. I was hesitant to bring it up because I didn't think they'd like it... We ended up playing for like 4 hours straight. Awesome.

Dear god. Although, 4000 hours...wow.

Game is crack. It's almost 2:30 and I'm considering playing more. D:
Yeah, as much as I'd love to be in a match with high level players, I think I'd be scared to face some of them. It is indeed totally 2:44am, so I must sleeeep (more RL tomorrow!)

BusterJol

Say I wanted to watch clips I recorded.

Is there any website or app (like Xboxclips.com or Smartglass) to watch PS4 share stoof?

Would be nice to show an array of clips to friends.

MrS

Banned
I need elastic bands! 500km trophy is horrible but I've read it pops at around 70km. Anybody in here got the platinum yet?

I don't know why but i'm having the biggest giggle about my car having a fucking wizard hat and saturn antennae. Game is already GOAT, spectacular sequel to one my favorite PS3 games. This one is gonna get so much more playtime than the ps3 one though! Mostly because I didn't start playing this one when the online was dead haha
Should be a wizard hat and moon antenna

aravuus

They should add 5v5 playlist, or 6v6. Whatta hell, make it 10v10 :D
More chaos: more fun, imo.

This game is pure fun, nuff said. Lovin it.

Yeah, definitely would love to have a playlist for stupid high player counts too. The game also has a lot of mini-game potential, shame it has nothing to offer on that count.

The base game itself is addictive and awesome as fuck though so it'll do for now

SomTervo

Played a few matches with my cousins last night, 3 player split screen.

It's unfortunately nowhere near as fun splitscreen as it is one person online. Really disappointed by it. And I dropped £80 on two new controllers too, with now only two 4-player PS4 games.

Maybe it'll work better with 4 hardcore gamer friends doing split screen 2v2, but all my gamer friends live in a different city.

Bummer.

This is a GOTY contender.

I feel like I stole from Psyonix getting this free on PS+.

3v3 and 4v4 are hilarious. Some of the random stuff that happens when 5 people are all boosting towards the ball is just crazy.

MrS

Banned
Is there anywhere else to see the distance driven since the cosmetic stats page isn't updating with online info yet?
I read on Playstation Trophies that the wheels info in the garage tells you how far you've driven but that the figure is glitched. So it may only say 70,000km but it'll make the trophy pop. It's all very confusing but most of the people who have got the trophy haven't actually had to reach the 500,000km point and their driven figures in the wheels section of the garage is between 60,000km and 70,000km. It takes around 7 hours, apparently.

BrunoM

Played a few matches with my cousins last night, 3 player split screen.

It's unfortunately nowhere near as fun splitscreen as it is one person online. Really disappointed by it. And I dropped £80 on two new controllers too, with now only two 4-player PS4 games.

Maybe it'll work better with 4 hardcore gamer friends doing split screen 2v2, but all my gamer friends live in a different city.

Bummer.
Guess that's will change from person to person ..

Earlier played 1v1 vs sister (for the record a good player lol pro gamer in her on right did not pick on young sibling lol) and it was a blast lol

Don't think there's much to do with the casual/harcore gamer its more about the craziness that happens and getting into it the jokes and the name calling makes it all fun ..

Give it another try call them some names (be nice tho) lol it gets the blood flowing makes it more fun haha

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah, definitely would love to have a playlist for stupid high player counts too. The game also has a lot of mini-game potential, shame it has nothing to offer on that count.

The base game itself is addictive and awesome as fuck though so it'll do for now

The game is the mini-game!

(Well, no, but apparently when they started making the PS3 original it was intended to be a more traditional car action game, with car football included as a mini-game, but once they realized that mode was actually more fun they made it the main focus of the game.)

But yeah, it's a shame that there aren't any mini-games. There's the training, but you don't gain anything from getting good scores in those AFAIK.

SomTervo

Guess that's will change from person to person ..

Earlier played 1v1 vs sister (for the record a good player lol pro gamer in her on right did not pick on young sibling lol) and it was a blast lol

Don't think there's much to do with the casual/harcore gamer its more about the craziness that happens and getting into it the jokes and the name calling makes it all fun ..

Give it another try call them some names (be nice tho) lol it gets the blood flowing makes it more fun haha

Yeah, I suppose the deflating factor could have been that we played co-operatively against bots.

Maybe that was a bad decision. I didn't want to alienate them by making things real competitive, but I guess that's the fun of the game. Getting stuck in to each other. 2 v 2 with a rookie bot to balance probably would have been way better :/

thejpfin

Ranked can be extremely frustrating. Why people keep rage quitting? It ruins the good match. It needs sometype of rage quit penalty system. Sigh.

Ferr986

This is a GOTY contender.

I feel like I stole from Psyonix getting this free on PS+.

3v3 and 4v4 are hilarious. Some of the random stuff that happens when 5 people are all boosting towards the ball is just crazy.

Seems like everyone plays 3v3 but I like 4v4 more. The more people the crazier it gets, and that's what I like the most.

DryvBy

My friend was playing Batman and I was about to load it up but decided to try Rocket League first. It didn't sound like anything I'd be interested in at all. A combination of cars and soccer sounded like an old mod I played and didn't enjoy that much.

It took one shot in the goal to create a fan. I was on the phone with my friend at the time and told him to load it up. He was in the same boat and while I was telling him it was fun, he was expressing lots of "Suuuuuuuuuuuure"s with me. Happened same for him. He made a goal and instantly liked it. So we played a match against 2 AI units and went from liking it a lot to absolutely loving it.

My wife came home. I told her about it. She didn't have interest in it. She doesn't even like playing video games that much. I put a controller in her hands and she instantly loved it.

The only problem now is getting into a private game. Once that's set, this is my competitive game for the year.

Seems like everyone plays 3v3 but I like 4v4 more. The more people the crazier it gets, and that's what I like the most.

I like 3v3 because it slows the match down just enough so you can plan a bit more and actually try to involve a specific teammate in a setup pass, but there are still enough people to do dumb things without costing your team a point.

4v4 is total anarchy, and it's amazing. Just get the ball near the goal and hope for the best as everyone Hulk smashes each other.

Xater

My friend was playing Batman and I was about to load it up but decided to try Rocket League first. It didn't sound like anything I'd be interested in at all. A combination of cars and soccer sounded like an old mod I played and didn't enjoy that much.

It took one shot in the goal to create a fan. I was on the phone with my friend at the time and told him to load it up. He was in the same boat and while I was telling him it was fun, he was expressing lots of "Suuuuuuuuuuuure"s with me. Happened same for him. He made a goal and instantly liked it. So we played a match against 2 AI units and went from liking it a lot to absolutely loving it.

My wife came home. I told her about it. She didn't have interest in it. She doesn't even like playing video games that much. I put a controller in her hands and she instantly loved it.

The only problem now is getting into a private game. Once that's set, this is my competitive game for the year.

The secret of this game is it's simple concept paired with a top notch execution. The easy to learn controls that still give you so many possibilities are just amazing.

Only got about an hour last night to do the tutorials and play against the AI a few times but the whole thing is just so incredibly well crafted, can't wait to try the online tonight.

It goes to show that a simple concept extremely well executed and you have a game that just oozes fun.

One small thing that was bugging me, when switching cars i lose almost all of the customized options on the previous one if i go back to it. Does this happen to others or is it some kind of bug? It's annoying to have to go back in and select everything each time.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I like 3v3 because it slows the match down just enough so you can plan a bit more and actually try to involve a specific teammate in a setup pass, but there are still enough people to do dumb things without costing your team a point.

4v4 is total anarchy, and it's amazing. Just get the ball near the goal and hope for the best as everyone Hulk smashes each other.

I don't really like the 4v4 chaos. I mean, it's still fun as hell, but it just gets too messy for my taste. Like you say, those matches generally consist of a pile of cars smashing into each other and the ball at every opportunity while hoping for the best, and most goals are more brute force and luck than skill (because it's almost impossible to pull off anything elegant in that mess). It's fun chaos, for sure, but I don't feel like I get a chance to develop my skills in that mode. 2v2 and 3v3 allow for more controlled situations.

One small thing that was bugging me, when switching cars i lose almost all of the customized options on the previous one if i go back to it. Does this happen to others or is it some kind of bug? It's annoying to have to go back in and select everything each time.

Yeah, that's annoying. They should really let us save different presets.

Xater

Only got about an hour last night to do the tutorials and play against the AI a few times but the whole thing is just so incredibly well crafted, can't wait to try the online tonight.

It goes to show that a simple concept extremely well executed and you have a game that just oozes fun.

Pretty sure it's intentional, so you can have customizations for specific body types. Some bodies don#t seem to share the same decals at all as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom