• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teamed up with some randoms online and we were just walking through people. One game was 9-0. Then we got matched up with these 3 people that made us look real bad. Pulling off insane passes and goals. I think being able to talk to your teammates must make a huge difference. Just so you can communicate if one person is going to stay back on D or take the right or left, call for passes to the center and whatnot. I'm done for the night. Hopefully find some gaffers to team up with tomorrow.
Holy hell this game is fun.

nicolajNN

My friend was playing Batman and I was about to load it up but decided to try Rocket League first. It didn't sound like anything I'd be interested in at all. A combination of cars and soccer sounded like an old mod I played and didn't enjoy that much.

It took one shot in the goal to create a fan. I was on the phone with my friend at the time and told him to load it up. He was in the same boat and while I was telling him it was fun, he was expressing lots of "Suuuuuuuuuuuure"s with me. Happened same for him. He made a goal and instantly liked it. So we played a match against 2 AI units and went from liking it a lot to absolutely loving it.

My wife came home. I told her about it. She didn't have interest in it. She doesn't even like playing video games that much. I put a controller in her hands and she instantly loved it.

The only problem now is getting into a private game. Once that's set, this is my competitive game for the year.
I love these kinds of stories, and it seems like there's a lot of them with this game, it's just so easy to like

JambiBum

I really like playing goalie in this game.

6Kpk5uO.gif

I don't really like the 4v4 chaos. I mean, it's still fun as hell, but it just gets too messy for my taste. Like you say, those matches generally consist of a pile of cars smashing into each other and the ball at every opportunity while hoping for the best, and most goals are more brute force and luck than skill (because it's almost impossible to pull off anything elegant in that mess). It's fun chaos, for sure, but I don't feel like I get a chance to develop my skills in that mode. 2v2 and 3v3 allow for more controlled situations.

The 4v4 carnage gives me a Twisted Metal 2 nostalgia high so it's totally worth it. Every time I see someone with the Sweet Tooth van a single tear rolls down my cheek.

I can't stop playing this game! I was supposed to stop playing at midnight so I could wake up at 6AM to go to work, but instead I played until 3AM... Now I'm barely functional but it was TOTALLY WORTH IT!

Auctopus

I echo the sentiment that people shouldn't be able to quit a ranked match. The great thing about the game is you can turn around matches pretty quickly.

This game is... amazing. Just had a two-hour session with two friends of mine, playing 3v3 online. We were giggling like teenagers. As a jaded adult, no game has achieved that in a long, long time. And even now, even though my friends had to quit, I'm only thinking about solo-queueing. Just a couple of more matches!

Mr Git

Took a controller round to a friend's last night and we played this for hours. Brilliant fun looking forward to getting online later.

I can't stop playing this game! I was supposed to stop playing at midnight so I could wake up at 6AM to go to work, but instead I played until 3AM... Now I'm barely functional but it was TOTALLY WORTH IT!

I'm operating on about 4 hours' sleep a night at the moment :( Bed around 2, up at 6:30, breakfast, Insanity workout, shower, work. Then more Rocket League.

It's dangerous.

Pons

Neo Member
Game is just fun as hell. I've got the individual moves down pretty good, side flip, forward flip kick boost, bicycle kick. Now comes the hard part, learning to not stay on the throttle all the time and use reverse more, and git gud with flying and doing crap in mid air, and oh, actually hitting the ball and not whiffing mOom

JambiBum

The dudes that signed up for that tournament... Gibbs Fyshokid Sonnix Yemen??? Dear lord I'm almost glad I didn't sign up LOL Lots of great players!

And hooray at finally being able to play Ranked Matches! Feels good to see my rating improve, let's see how high I can reach :)

I haven't touched ranked yet because I'm kind of unsure how the solo rating works. Is it based on wins/overall individual score in a game? If so I might just stay away from it unless I'm doing doubles since I don't always get a lot of points playing goalie.

Xater

Just played a couple of online games again and had a lot of fun. I can see myself sticking with this for quite some time. I sometimes just wish the unlocks worked differently. For some reason I have the worst luck and get more wheels than anything else. I need some decals for my Hotshot damn it!

Saint9806

I loved the beta but couldn't find a game at all last night. I searched all types too... Not sure if it's me or are others having trouble?

Going air borne for a shot is such a gamble. Suppose there's no other way to learn really. I tire of people who hit the ball just because they can. I've seen a lot of potential shots ruined just by some idiot who wants to chase the ball like a cat.

I agree the sitar is a bit loud.

BShadowJ

I haven't touched ranked yet because I'm kind of unsure how the solo rating works. Is it based on wins/overall individual score in a game? If so I might just stay away from it unless I'm doing doubles since I don't always get a lot of points playing goalie.

I'm not actually sure, but I'd assume wins are worth more for your rating in the end than individual score (although that probably helps too). But to be fair, being goalie is not bad for your individual score anyway, unless your team just stomps the other team really IMO.

taoofjord

Yeah, this just took my #1 spot for GOTY over Bloodborne, Shadowgate, Batman, Witcher 3, Duck Game, Grow Home, Ori and Splatoon. Never would have thought this would be possible.

Played a fair few ranked games and decided that your own teammates are more of a hindrance than your opponents.

YES, THIS! When I was with a group of players who knew what they were doing, I'd be able to pull off all kinds of great stuff. As someone else said earlier, some people literally just chase the ball around like a cat and hit it no matter what direction they're facing, including into their own goal. And I thought the bots were bad about this...

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Yeah, this just took my #1 spot for GOTY over Bloodborne, Shadowgate, Batman, Witcher 3, Duck Game, Grow Home, Ori and Splatoon. Never would have thought this would be possible.

playing is believing!
this game is like a legendary two hand sword between all the other grey or white wooden swords and the occasional rare axe.

ZeMMiK

how is the cross play between ps4 and pc??, chat you partychat?? and how are the psn players finding pc players and vice versa??
maybe i finally i can add my old pc buddies who do not have a console yet...

Hasney

how is the cross play between ps4 and pc??, chat you partychat?? and how are the psn players finding pc players and vice versa??
maybe i finally i can add my old pc buddies who do not have a console yet...

You can't specifically play with them. No party, but they're trying to get a patch out to let you join them in private matches.

BShadowJ

Leavers on ranked are annoying... I hope their rating gets some major punishment for every leave :/

On the other hand, it sure is making my climb faster! LOL

Planet

Lame. That really sucks.
Steiner was just referring to one of several ways to handle video with the PS4. You can automatically upload it to Facebook or YouTube or export it as MP4 to an external drive and do whatever you like with it.

Also there is ShareFactory, a very accessible app that allows quickly editing videos, even enhancing them with cool transition effects and stickers, add custom audio tracks and more.

So has there been any confirmation if different AI teammates perform differently or not? Seems Wolfman and Tex are the best and Merlin is the worst?

aravuus

Finally got to play online and holy fuck this is as fun as ever! I can't seem to stop playing lmao

6 or 7 wins and 1 loss so far, going pretty well.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Two questions:

Is cross-platform play already a go?

Is it possible/will it be possible to create a cross-platform party?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So what do you guys want in the first patch?

For me:

- Performance improvements to bring all maps up to the level of Urban Central
- Ability to customise red and blue cars separately
- Ability to customise and save each car individually
- Improvements to the menu to prevent the "jet engine fan" issue some people are having

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom