• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kronovi is the best. It's as simple as that. He doesn't just do this shit against noobs, either, that's the thing.

How hard is it to defend against this? Is he great on defense with these plays too?

I ask because there's this really awesome intensity with intermediate players, a constant back and forth of skill and fumbles. I wonder if it's all skill, and pin point accuracy with the absolute experts.

cyba89

Is it still impossible to play online or is it me? Finding a match is no issue, but I have big lag problems and disconnects in every game.

EDIT:
Okay the post above me suggest, it's possible for some.

Trying to figure out what people are thinking when they are driving towards their own goal and make a straight line play on the ball. The ball needs to go in the other direction brehs

This game is fun, even though I'm objectively terrible at it, ha

I feel like I'm playing it wrong, though. Played for five or so hours with some buds last night and had a good time, and I've put in some time on my own, but I struggle mightily to make any sort of plays on the ball. I miss it a lot, and I don't even want to talk about scoring.

Any tips? I've experimented with having ball cam on/off, but it doesn't seem to make tons of difference, from what I've noticed, and the problem's been hitting the ball more than actually keeping up with it, anyway. Tried practicing some against AI, but pretty terrible there too - currently rocking an 0-3 record in season mode.

Game's really, really fun when it clicks, but I can feel frustration setting in :( Just a matter of practicing more?

The ball always looks closer than it actually is, so delay whatever jumps or movements you are doing.

I have ball cam off when aiming my car.

I feel like I'm playing it wrong, though. Played for five or so hours with some buds last night and had a good time, and I've put in some time on my own, but I struggle mightily to make any sort of plays on the ball. I miss it a lot, and I don't even want to talk about scoring.

Any tips? I've experimented with having ball cam on/off, but it doesn't seem to make tons of difference, from what I've noticed, and the problem's been hitting the ball more than actually keeping up with it, anyway. Tried practicing some against AI, but pretty terrible there too - currently rocking an 0-3 record in season mode.

Game's really, really fun when it clicks, but I can feel frustration setting in :( Just a matter of practicing more?

It happens to every new player. Eventually you just understand the rhythm and it almost becomes second nature to know when to hit it exact.

What I learned to do a lot is slow down my acceleration. Often, I was too early for a passing ball. You'll get it eventually. You're having fun now, which is most important

Auctopus

I ask because there's this really awesome intensity with intermediate players, a constant back and forth of skill and fumbles. I wonder if it's all skill, and pin point accuracy with the absolute experts.

Yeah, I'm starting to enter the upper ranks and im enjoying the game a little less.

Intermediate is where it's at. I love people trying to fly and going all over the place. People also understand that constantly charging the ball is counter-productive.

Top tip: don't ram your own teammates.

The Cowboy

Played online for the 1st time, got beat 5 -1, still had a blast :-D.

I really do enjoy a game in which you can loose and still have a great time doing so, also nothing more fun that hitting supersonic speed and demolishing someone about to score :p.

Also, i will pay money for an overtime overtime multiball with cannons appearing around the pitch shooting balls all over the place - i need it ;-).

I agree that ranked should be parties only. I think it'd cut down on lone quitters too, while getting more players into the mode who are serious about ranked.

How hard is it to defend against this? Is he great on defense with these plays too?

I played some 4v4s yesterday with 7 others who were about as good at RL as you can get (one or two weaker players but for the most part everyone was solid). At that level, wherever the ball is on the pitch, someone's going to hit it out of the air. It doesn't matter who's backwards, or sideways, or getting boost, every player has the ability to at least hit the ball from pretty much any location.

The skill then comes in the form of getting to the ball first, and knowing when to sit back (because you won't get there first) and when to go for it (because you might). If Kronovi goes for the ball, he's gonna get there first 90% of the time. It's a bitch to defend against but so much fun.

Great on defense as well, yeah. I often like to anticipate a mistake and go to where the ball will go if my opponent misses it. That doesn't happen against Kro. I've ended up just sitting back when I see him going for it because I know he'll get there first :D

By the way, Kronovi will be doing the voiceover/gameplay of the second segment of my tutorial video. I'm sure I'll share it on here when it's out so people can learn from him.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Holyshit this game is so much fun. After finally getting into some online games last night I had an absolute blast. Played like 40 fucking games last night haha. Once me and two other buddies got some 3 on 3 going shit got crazy. We all sucked at first but got pretty damn good the more we played. Can't wait to get a tourney going. So fucking tired, haven't stayed up until 2:00am playing a game on a week night in a real long time.

Yeah, I'm starting to enter the upper ranks and im enjoying the game a little less.

Intermediate is where it's at. I love people trying to fly and going all over the place. People also understand that constantly charging the ball is counter-productive.

Top tip: don't ram your own teammates.

I was mostly referring to mastering aerials :p

I see some awesome aerial goals, and I wonder how great expert defense is, if expert offense is so fantastic.

I dont ever expect to be so great, however, I'd like to know how it plays out. I love where I am now, with good ground gameplay. Aerials add a whole new dimension, I've seen awesome aerial defense, so I'm curious to see how great the defense gameplay is.

Is it easier to get goals when you master aerials? Do games with Kronovi and friends still go 1-0, or are there just more frequent goals?

Personally, I love my 1-0 games when there's nothing but fumbling and good hits for a good 4 minutes lol. I imagine expert games have frequent goals, some of which come from crazy aerial angles.

Just curious is all :p

ESL being onboard is enormous.

Have we figured out how to unlock Sweet Tooth yet? Pretty much everyone I've seen that said they've unlocked it has played far fewer games than I have :\

Hopefully servers are functional when I get home today, got a couple friends to download and try this yesterday and they were pretty much immediately in love with it.

The ball always looks closer than it actually is, so delay whatever jumps or movements you are doing.

I have ball cam off when aiming my car.

Yeah, I do tend to make jumps earlier than I should, now that you mention it. I'll keep that in mind.

It happens to every new player. Eventually you just understand the rhythm and it almost becomes second nature to know when to hit it exact.

What I learned to do a lot is slow down my acceleration. Often, I was too early for a passing ball. You'll get it eventually. You're having fun now, which is most important

Cool, I'll keep at it. I did get MVP in a match right after I bitched in here, so baby steps and all.

Rocket League is now an esport.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLeague/comments/3copvs/rocket_league_esports_confirmed_esl/

Edit: not even sorry for the double post. This is fucking massive.

Amazing, and I'm so happy for them.

Huge Twitch views already, and it's going to get bigger.

Kronovi is going to be a millionaire

I played some 4v4s yesterday with 7 others who were about as good at RL as you can get (one or two weaker players but for the most part everyone was solid). At that level, wherever the ball is on the pitch, someone's going to hit it out of the air. It doesn't matter who's backwards, or sideways, or getting boost, every player has the ability to at least hit the ball from pretty much any location.

The skill then comes in the form of getting to the ball first, and knowing when to sit back (because you won't get there first) and when to go for it (because you might). If Kronovi goes for the ball, he's gonna get there first 90% of the time. It's a bitch to defend against but so much fun.

Great on defense as well, yeah. I often like to anticipate a mistake and go to where the ball will go if my opponent misses it. That doesn't happen against Kro. I've ended up just sitting back when I see him going for it because I know he'll get there first :D

By the way, Kronovi will be doing the voiceover/gameplay of the second segment of my tutorial video. I'm sure I'll share it on here when it's out so people can learn from him.

Thanks man. Im curious to see Kronovi's defensive gameplay against someone as good as him lol.

ESL being onboard is enormous.

Have we figured out how to unlock Sweet Tooth yet? Pretty much everyone I've seen that said they've unlocked it has played far fewer games than I have :\

Hopefully servers are functional when I get home today, got a couple friends to download and try this yesterday and they were pretty much immediately in love with it.

I feel like the S.T unlock was glitched. Got it earlier than the "Win a game with every car" suggestion. I think maybe S.T just unlocks after unlocking every other car first

Yeah, I do tend to make jumps earlier than I should, now that you mention it. I'll keep that in mind.

Cool, I'll keep at it. I did get MVP in a match right after I bitched in here, so baby steps and all.

Jumping early and catching air happens often. You always get that instinct to jump. You simply must say "no, wait a second longer". You eventually start to get it. I played all beta missing a lot of shots. Now, I'm hitting 95% of the time.

It's hard to pay attention to the physics when you're worried about opponents, but you eventually understand the physics, and it clicks.

Lots of players make moves earlier than they should, so you just have to really slow down your reaction a bit

Lan Dong Mik

I posted this last night but it was kinda late. Reposting for the day crowd! Managed to tie the game at 0 seconds left and win the sudden death!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9BCJUuWenI

Holyshit longest second ever!! Does the game clock come to a stand still like that if you're in scoring position? That was fucking sweet but I would have been throwing some shit had that happen while I was on the opposing team lmao. Your reaction is fucking priceless tho hahaha.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Thanks man. Im curious to see Kronovi's defensive gameplay against someone as good as him lol.

There are a couple of 1v1 matches of him vs Gibbs on YouTube, good stuff!

His game, according to him, is all about turning attack into defence, so he doesn't 'sit back' particularly often.

And defensive aerialing is a thing. I'll put some gifs up as I play tonight if people want as I do a tonne of them. Reverse aerialing becomes hugely important when you know the ball can fly above your head at any second.

God I wanna talk about this game all day. Might have to quit my job.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Holyshit longest second ever!! Does the game clock come to a stand still like that if you're in scoring position? That was fucking sweet but I would have been throwing some shit had that happen while I was on the opposing team lmao. Your reaction is fucking priceless tho hahaha.

If the ball is in the air when time runs out the game keeps going until the ball hits the ground, so if you're lucky/skilled you can get that final goal in.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Silly question, but are the different car types cosmetic only, or do they affect performance? Switched to the van, and I could swear it felt more sluggish than the default car, but unless I missed something, I didn't see any vehicle stats in the customization menu.

Lan Dong Mik

Silly question, but are the different car types cosmetic only, or do they affect performance? Switched to the van, and I could swear it felt more sluggish than the default car, but unless I missed something, I didn't see any vehicle stats in the customization menu.

Yeah it's only cosmetic from what I've read. Though I've heard some people swear the smaller race cars are more responsive and a tad quicker but who knows for sure.

Auctopus

Servers are dead.

I'm in the silver rankings atm whatever that means and I've found its a mix of the best players I've seen and the absolute worst.

WITHE1982

Devs confirmed that there is no difference whatsoever in performance and any change in the vehicles hit box is negligible.

Rocket League is now an esport.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLeague/comments/3copvs/rocket_league_esports_confirmed_esl/

Edit: not even sorry for the double post. This is fucking massive.

That's fantastic news. This is an esport I could happily watch for hours. One of the few that is truly spectator friendly.

(although you have to be better than Fyshokid to get in according to the chat
/s
)

rajanp22

Practice makes perfect. Try more of the training modes if you haven't already. Definitely work on aerials as they'll help you to miss less. Missing the ball will be common no matter what though.

I think one thats helped me is to 'pick your moments' and gather boost accordingly to get your shots/saves just right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom