• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
LieEFD6.png

100k. Wow!

WITHE1982

Oh FFS servers down just 10 minutes before I finish work. It's official Psyonix fuckin' hates me.

edit: Congrats on 100k players though. Truly impressive.

His game, according to him, is all about turning attack into defence, so he doesn't 'sit back' particularly often.

And defensive aerialing is a thing. I'll put some gifs up as I play tonight if people want as I do a tonne of them. Reverse aerialing becomes hugely important when you know the ball can fly above your head at any second.

God I wanna talk about this game all day. Might have to quit my job.

Yeah man, I've seen the defensive aerials and reverse aerials, possibly from you. Interesting that his best defense is a constant offense. For most players, defense is important, and usually manageable since most attacks come from the ground.

With someone like Kronovi, his aerial game must make it harder to play defense, since it's all about ball possession.

It would be amazing to see in high level matches, where you're seeing crazy offensive aerials, and incredibly accurate aerial saves.

There are a couple of 1v1 matches of him vs Gibbs on YouTube, good stuff!

Yeah, but 2v2/3v3 is where I'd like to see it play out most :p

EU in particular is eating up most of the servers allocated, we're bringing them online as fast as our provider can but demand's out of control today.

Man, good luck with the weekend lol

Yeah it's only cosmetic from what I've read. Though I've heard some people swear the smaller race cars are more responsive and a tad quicker but who knows for sure.

Smaller cars feel nicer to me too, but they are all the same, except for hitboxes.

I am actually wanting to see the hitbox differences. I wonder if anyone is willing to do a comparison. I know it's supposed to be small, but can we notice it in replay mode?

rObit

Banned
Aww they went down right as I was winning my first ranked match :( Ah well. 1v1 is surprisingly fun, I was expecting it to be full of runaway shots but the few games I've done have been pretty intense with very few of those runaway goals.

sackninja

Which do people prefer, 2v2 or 3v3. 2v2 is definitely my favorite. You have so much freedom and it's very high risk high reward.

Murray97

Yeah, I'm starting to enter the upper ranks and im enjoying the game a little less.

Intermediate is where it's at. I love people trying to fly and going all over the place. People also understand that constantly charging the ball is counter-productive.

Top tip: don't ram your own teammates.

I'm the opposite. It wasn't very fun for me just winning most games by 7+ goals. But now I'm playing against people in the top 20 on doubles and there is hardly any goals in the games since everyone is saving aerials. Its really intense.

Also, since people like coolcole are making tutorial vids and since the community over on Reddit and everywhere are keen on making content, I think it'd be super cool if Psyonix hotlinked a Youtube video right into the interface.

They already have links to their Twitter and Subreddit.

Every week could be something cool

Week 1:

"CoolCole93's Tips and Tricks for New Players"

Click on YT icon > Opens Youtube on PS4 Web Browser > Instant sense of community.

Uncharted TV was really remarkable in that sense, and this game is just such a damn good esport that the community practically is coming together to create content.

Murray97

Which do people prefer, 2v2 or 3v3. 2v2 is definitely my favorite. You have so much freedom and it's very high risk high reward.

I prefer 2v2, I think thats mainly because I don't like getting hit around and that seems to happen a lot in 3v3. Along with there being a lot more space to make plays in 2v2.

Yeah man, I've seen the defensive aerials and reverse aerials, possibly from you. Interesting that his best defense is a constant offense. For most players, defense is important, and usually manageable since most attacks come from the ground.

With someone like Kronovi, his aerial game must make it harder to play defense, since it's all about ball possession.

It would be amazing to see in high level matches, where you're seeing crazy offensive aerials, and incredibly accurate aerial saves.

Aerial saves are kinda easy once you get to the point where backwards reverse aerialing is almost as simple as forwards lol. Aerial blocks when the other player is quite a way in front of you are hardest imo. You have to try and guess where your opponent is hitting it, and then get there in time. If you misjudge it you can look silly.

However, if you're going for an aerial block and the opponent is quite far away, you're not always expected to actually hit the ball. Just blocking the space between your opponent and the goal forces them to put it to the sides. Of course that can then mean they dominate you for a bit as the ball is in your corner...

Yeah there's a lot to think about lol.

galvenize

I'm the opposite. It wasn't very fun for me just winning most games by 7+ goals. But now I'm playing against people in the top 20 on doubles and there is hardly any goals in the games since everyone is saving aerials. Its really intense.

^ This guy's pretty gud.

Murray97

This is the highest I got on ranked doubles for today. Had two really close games with rank 21 but lost them both. Need to relax for a bit, too intense.

7c284bfd10.jpg

Derp

THIS GAME, MAN... Holy SHIT. This is the game of my dreams. This is the greatest thing ever.

Now how the hell do I play with GAF. I'm not resting until I get to play with GAF (jk I'm going to sleep. I'll be on in 8 hours). But seriously. What do I do. Is there like a group or something? Need my Steam profile link?

Totally agreed on games with hardly any goals. Easily the most fun when you play low scoring games. The aerial saves are great, but it seems that the next step to expect is aerial offense. So I expect those high scoring games to happen again when people start learning how to do aerial goals :p

Hopefully the defense can keep up. It's one thing I'm really curious to see unfold. The learning experience in this game is really so naturally well done, and it should be awesome to see how most players end up weeks from now.

2v2 has awesome plays. You can make so many great, controlled moves with your partner. Rebounds and centering are good strategies, and you can do some genuinely good one timer shots.

3v3 adds more defensive play, I think, as you usually have a dedicated defenseman who makes it harder to get a score in. Usually you see a rush of 3 players, but it's spread out so that you always have one guy able to run back into defense when needed. In 2v2, you tend to move as a unit, so you either defend or attack together.

Murray97

Totally agreed on games with hardly any goals. Easily the most fun when you play low scoring games. The aerial saves are great, but it seems that the next step to expect is aerial offense. So I expect those high scoring games to happen again when people start learning how to do aerial goals :p

Hopefully the defense can keep up. It's one thing I'm really curious to see unfold. The learning experience in this game is really so naturally well done, and it should be awesome to see how most players end up weeks from now

Yeah thats what I mean by aerial saves, sorry. I mean that people are starting to save my aerial shots usually even if an aerial shot went on target it was a goal.

Holy crap I love this game . Ive been playing 4 hours straight and went from really bad to really good pretty fast I think. I mean I'm no pro but its good to score 3-4 times in one match haha. Waaaaay less confusing then i thought it would be. The cars physics just make sense. The controls are perfect

hope to eventually get some matches in with GAF members on PS4...at least my terrible play will be with people here instead of randoms...lol

Someone just posted this game on Giant Bomb forums and it's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=286&v=DvXZ-_HrDx8

The truly golden thing in this video is that straight up demolition of the goaltender. Lol. Dude would have been a pain in the ass otherwise.

Aerial saves are kinda easy once you get to the point where backwards reverse aerialing is almost as simple as forwards lol. Aerial blocks when the other player is quite a way in front of you are hardest imo. You have to try and guess where your opponent is hitting it, and then get there in time. If you misjudge it you can look silly.

However, if you're going for an aerial block and the opponent is quite far away, you're not always expected to actually hit the ball. Just blocking the space between your opponent and the goal forces them to put it to the sides. Of course that can then mean they dominate you for a bit as the ball is in your corner...

Yeah there's a lot to think about lol.

You need to make videos on these questions/scenarios I have lol. I'm thinking a lot about it. A lot of people would really love the discussion I think, and it's neat to think about all the meta-play.

Derp

Guys, regarding unlocks, is there some kind of order that you unlock things in, or is it completely random?

Wait a second, you can only play splitsceen online if both players have an PSN account with plus? What the fuck? In the beta it wasnt like this.

Wait a second, you can only play splitsceen online if both players have an PSN account with plus? What the fuck? In the beta it wasnt like this.

There's some arcane restrictions around this, but from our understanding as long as the first player has the console set to his primary console, it should work. We went back and forth quite a bit with Sony about this issue but ultimately we're limited to their rules.

The truly golden thing in this video is that straight up demolition of the goaltender. Lol. Dude would have been a pain in the ass otherwise.

You need to make videos on these questions/scenarios I have lol. I'm thinking a lot about it. A lot of people would really love the discussion I think, and it's neat to think about all the meta-play.

The series is currently this:

Me introducing basic mechanics and how to improve.
Me introducing flying and how to get to grips with it.
Kronovi talking through advanced gameplay mechanics, such as flying then dodging, wall aerials, etc.
Me talking through basic matchplay tactics (don't go for the ball if you spawn in goal at kick-off etc.
Kronovi talking about advanced matchplay tactics (the shit we're discussing here).

Sadly I only have a very temperamental copy of Vegas with which to edit, which is slowing me down massively. I'm gonna TRY and get video 1 out on Saturday though for those sweet sweet new player views.

All this is so crazy for our community. We honestly dreamed about stuff like this when we played SARPBC, making montages and hosting tournaments pretty much just for each-other.

I can only imagine how overwhelmed (and exhausted) Psyonix must feel right now.

There's some arcane restrictions around this, but from our understanding as long as the first player has the console set to his primary console, it should work. We went back and forth quite a bit with Sony about this issue but ultimately we're limited to their rules.

Thats just stupid, In the beta there was no problems doing this.

Sony just want to milk more plus users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom