• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouble

Banned
It benefits the PC audience massively. I'm so tired of buying PC titles and struggling to get a game after the first week.

Hey, it benefits PS+ members too! :D

One of the things that has got its hooks into me with this game is that one moment I feel like a boss during a match where I'm basically flailing otherwise. I got an 'epic save' towards the end of a match where we were getting our asses kicked last night. Feels good man, didn't even care about the L after that.

Slixshot

Banned
Stewie-crazy.gif

While we wait for the servers to go back up, what does everyone's car look like? This is what I'm currently using:

I use the corroded metal texture for the subcolor, so it looks like my paintjob took some heavy damage :p

Schaulustiger

Neo Member
Okay, for anyone interested: tried it on a Surface Pro 3 i5 and it hovers at around 40 fps with lowest details in 1366 x 768. That's after the throttling kicks in after about one or two minutes.

It's playable, but it's no fun if you come from a PC that can run it at 60 fps with all eye candy on max.

TMC

Okay, for anyone interested: tried it on a Surface Pro 3 i5 and it hovers at around 40 fps with lowest details in 1366 x 168. That's after the throttling kicks in after about one or two minutes.

It's playable, but it's no fun if you come from a PC that can run it at 60 fps with all eye candy on max.

That resolution sounds awful! :p

Oogedei

Have to admit that these whole server issues are actually really annoying. Yeah I get it that there are far more players than expected. Still, I just want to play some games...

The Cowboy

I want a nutty 3(1v1v1)/6(2v2v2)/9(3v3v3)/12(4v4v4) player 3 way mode of craziness with 3 nets and pure insanity - it won't happen and its not everyone cup of tea, but dammit I WANT IT!.

mcz117chief

Well, I played about 10 games and I feel like I have seen it all. The idea is nice and the realisation too but I just don't find the game engaging enough. You kick the ball 95% it lands in the corner followed by a moshpit, somebody else kicks the ball it lands in another corner followed by another moshpit and this keeps on going until somebody scores by accident. I just can't find the hook in this game. I will probably start it up to play a match or two in the future but I am glad it is free on PS+ so I didn't have to spend any money.

Well, I played about 10 games and I feel like I have seen it all. The idea is nice and the realisation too but I just don't find the game engaging enough. You kick the ball 95% it lands in the corner followed by a moshpit, somebody else kicks the ball it lands in another corner followed by another moshpit and this keeps on going until somebody scores by accident. I just can't find the hook in this game. I will probably start it up to play a match or two in the future but I am glad it is free on PS+ so I didn't have to spend any money.

high level play is so much more then that.

You can control a match with good defense, ramming keepers and dribbling the ball etc.

the depth is there but its also very easy to pick up and play, its really perfect in that regard.

too bad you don't enjoy it because once it clicks its amazing, hell it was amazing from the first second for me. I can understand if its not someones jam though.

Mabufu

Banned

Well, there's the problem.

mcz117chief

Well, there's the problem.

it feels like you have to spend a lifetime to master the controls enough that you could actually control the ball and score goals of your own volition, never mind the fact that you have to worry about a number of enemy players constantly trying to get you. It feels like trying to get a cup of tea from one trench to another in the battle of Verdun.

Grinchy

Banned
it feels like you have to spend a lifetime to master the controls enough that you could actually control the ball and score goals of your own volition, never mind the fact that you have to worry about a number of enemy players constantly trying to get you. It feels like trying to get a cup of tea from one trench to another in the battle of Verdun.

It's not a game for everyone, but to assume you know all the intricacies of its gameplay from 10 matches against really bad players is a just bad assumption.

Accidental goals are very rare when people know what they're doing.

Roto13

Um, not really. The game hasn't been out that long and people were scoring goals on purpose back in the beta. I don't know how you can say that about a brand new game that people are already getting pretty good at....

DLaicH

Did you do the tutorials and training first, or did you jump straight into competitive play? After roughly six hours, I'm not super good at the game, but I've still gotten a decent amount of intentional shots and saves. Aerials and stuff will take me a long time to master I'm sure, but it doesn't take anywhere near a "lifetime" to get to the point where you can make decent shots.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Eh. I've never played this game before Tuesday, and I can already feel my skills improving very noticeably. During my first few games I absolutely felt like you do, but now I'm starting to score more and more goals that feel like I actually did it right and wasn't just lucky. I'm timing my jumps much better and actually hitting the ball in the air quite often, I'm aiming my flip-shots better, etc.

But it's not gonna be for everyone, of course. I love games that are all about skill and practice rather than grinding for upgrades (Trials is one of my absolute favorite series), but maybe you just don't want that.

mcz117chief

Did you do the tutorials and training first, or did you jump straight into competitive play? After roughly six hours, I'm not super good at the game, but I've still gotten a decent amount of intentional shots and saves. Aerials and stuff will take me a long time to master I'm sure, but it doesn't take anywhere near a "lifetime" to get to the point where you can make decent shots.

It just feels really REALLY complicated, just a tiny move here and there and everything flies off in all directions. This game feels just like golf, you make a tiny mistake and bam! everything is ruined. The ball skips around and cars fly all over the place I just don't feel like I am in control of the game at all, feels like a League of Legends team fight that you didn't initiate, you just press buttons and hope for the best. That is just my view of course as I am sure many here are good at it and can bicycle goal from across the map. I didn't came here to hate on the game I just wanted to state my opinion.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's quite interesting how there are no servers online but there are still 2000+ people in playlists. Huh?

EDIT: There we go!

Codiox

It's crazy how this game has everything a good game had back in the days.

You got
-single player season
-split screen coop season
-online multiplayer
-coop multi-player
-split screen coop multi-player

It has it all. Servers are down? Well fuck it, just play local coop! No buddy's? Fuck it, you got bots!

I'm in love.

MrS

Banned
Just had an issue where RL wouldn't boot up and was stuck at the startup screen that pops up as soon as you press x on the app to open it. Tried shutting down the console and rebooting but the same thing happened. Had to upload saved data, delete the game and I'm redownloading it now. Other apps on my PS4 are working fine. Anybody else had this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom