• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damaniel

Banned
It just feels really REALLY complicated, just a tiny move here and there and everything flies off in all directions. This game feels just like golf, you make a tiny mistake and bam! everything is ruined. The ball skips around and cars fly all over the place I just don't feel like I am in control of the game at all, feels like a League of Legends team fight that you didn't initiate, you just press buttons and hope for the best. That is just my view of course as I am sure many here are good at it and can bicycle goal from across the map. I didn't came here to hate on the game I just wanted to state my opinion.

That's what makes it fun though. The combination of learned skill and some chaos piled on keeps things interesting - if everyone could do the right thing 100% of the time, that would get boring fast. I'm still horrible but I've scored some goals (even intentional ones!) and I'm finally starting to gain a little more control. The rocket moves are a bit out of my league still, though.

I want a nutty 3(1v1v1)/6(2v2v2)/9(3v3v3)/12(4v4v4) player 3 way mode of craziness with 3 nets and pure insanity - it won't happen and its not everyone cup of tea, but dammit I WANT IT!.

Over on GameTrailers, they were saying it'd be cool to have maps with boosts and ramps and specific modes with combat weapons, a la Twisted Metal.

The Cowboy

Over on GameTrailers, they were saying it'd be cool to have maps with boosts and ramps and specific modes with combat weapons, a la Twisted Metal.

I posted about a weapon mode, it just sounds so fun if done right.

The game is great as it is (really GREAT!!!), but its just so ripe for certain modes - 3 way match mode, battle (weapon) match mode, destruction match mode (cars have 5 lives, you explode 5 times your out of the game until times up) etc.

Roto13

Stinger is a fucking idiot. I can't tell you how many times he's dribbled the ball all the way across the field to score on our own net.

Moobabe

Stinger is a fucking idiot. I can't tell you how many times he's dribbled the ball all the way across the field to score on our own net.

That's what you get for having a dude with a RUBBISH name on your team.

I'm rocking Chipper, Tex and Hollywood.

Winners. Each and every one of them.

Anyone have issues with remote play? It did this in the beta as well, the sound cuts out every couple seconds and it's really distracting

I had a match where two of the AI characters had to fill in on my team and they absolutely carried us to victory. 4 goals each! I have to imagine the opposing team felt screwed over.

That's what you get for having a dude with a RUBBISH name on your team.

I'm rocking Chipper, Tex and Hollywood.

Winners. Each and every one of them.

Tex was one of the AI teammates. I can't remember the second one.

Also, on a side note, it's awesome (and pretty strange) to not know if I am playing against a PC player or a PS4 player.

Moobabe

At this rate the only trophy I'll need for the plat is play online with a friend!

I never expected to like goalie as much as I do, but I prefer it dramatically more than running and gunning after the ball. Saves feel a lot better to me than goals.

Who else loves goalie?

I do - mainly because I love going from deep and watching the play unfold from the back. So good.

Vorheez

I never expected to like goalie as much as I do, but I prefer it dramatically more than running and gunning after the ball. Saves feel a lot better to me than goals.

Who else loves goalie?

JambiBum

Found a weird bug(?) where my analog stick won't do anything in the menus. Was working fine and then just stopped for some reason. Haven't tried to restart the game to see if that fixes it though.

Oogedei

Got into two games but the servers died once again. Unbelievable...this is so annoying. Glad that I didn't had to pay atm...

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Won a championship on pro and thought, All Star difficulty why not?

LOL, AI is scoring from their own goal. Getting Rekt 10 -0. Don't play All Star unless you hate yourself.

So what? It still has to work when you're releasing a game. I love RL but there is no excuse for this.

I know it doesn't make it much better because the end result is not being able to always play, but they did communicate a reason that seems they're not completely in control of being the issue.

It's not a load anticipation thing, that's the issue. We specifically chose a large, reputable provider so we could scale up infinitely to meet demand. The problem is that provider has some limitations in place that blew everything up around ~8k users and it's been all day with them trying to resolve and get back operational. So the safe, responsible choice so this wouldn't happen is exactly what has broken things the first day. Figures, right?

I hear you, but it's not a load problem and it's not mundane. There's a reason everybody has issues at launch with online play - launch puts an extreme stress on parts of your network stack that are very hard to test accurately before it occurs. Stuff works smoothly in a 10k concurrent player beta and falls apart at 13k, or 15k, or 20k... for unexpected reasons, not because of a lack of server quantity from underestimating demand.

WITHE1982

Managed 2 games before getting kicked. So so close to my first ever Aerial goal. I'll bag one of these bastards one day I swear.

Well despite 2 days of zero playtime I wasn't half bad. Scored a couple and got mvp twice.

C'mon psyonix I need the practice. Oh well off to do some training again.

Noaloha

I have so many good things to say about this game. I'm drunk though and I don't want to pop down that typing rabbit hole. Some juicy tidbits of my gushing praise include the rather literal 'skill floor' vs 'skill ceiling' this game embraces, and an acknowledgement of an online multiplayer experience which seemingly doles out zero salt on failure. Like, I have yet to get pissed off at any unfortunate turn of event in this game. Success has me celebrating myself, failure has me laughing at myself. There's something (specific, and) very clever there in the game's system design.

Of course there's an excuse. It's launch week.

So it's OK now to release broken games? Come on, I love Rocket league and I understand that unexpected things can happen, but that doesn't mean we can't be disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I love this game and it's great that the devs are doing everything they can to get the servers going again and to keep us updated, but that doesn't mean a messed up launch is OK because it's launch week.

mackattk

Played through the season last night. I meant to just get one or two games in and ended up playing for a good 2 hours. Game is more fun than it has any right to be. Haven't tried online yet, but will once things get settled down and the servers are more stable.

Iced

So it's OK now to release broken games? Come on, I love Rocket league and I understand that unexpected things can happen, but that doesn't mean we can't be disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I love this game and it's great that the devs are doing everything they can to get the servers going again and to keep us updated, but that doesn't mean a messed up launch is OK because it's launch week.

There's a huge difference between a game being broken and server issues. HUGE.

Oogedei

Of course there's an excuse. It's launch week.

No, this is not an excuse. You can't just realease broken things even if it's launch week. This attitude is part of this problem. I don't want to check twitter for every 5 minutes to see if the game works.

This is my beast. I like the big bodies on them.
hK9Oh5Vh.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom