• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

JambiBum

So it's OK now to release broken games? Come on, I love Rocket league and I understand that unexpected things can happen, but that doesn't mean we can't be disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I love this game and it's great that the devs are doing everything they can to get the servers going again and to keep us updated, but that doesn't mean a messed up launch is OK because it's launch week.

There's a difference between releasing a broken game (where the game doesn't work/bugs/performance issues) and having server problems because your hosting platform can't keep up with demand. Batman, AC:Unity, Halo:MCC, those were all broken games on release. RL runs like a champ and you can play training/season mode while waiting on them to add/fix the servers.

-Deimos

So it's OK now to release broken games? Come on, I love Rocket league and I understand that unexpected things can happen, but that doesn't mean we can't be disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I love this game and it's great that the devs are doing everything they can to get the servers going again and to keep us updated, but that doesn't mean a messed up launch is OK because it's launch week.
Game works 100% fine for me. No bugs or anything. Servers crapping out has nothing to do with the game.

There's a difference between releasing a broken game (where the game doesn't work/bugs/performance issues) and having server problems because your hosting platform can't keep up with demand. Batman, AC:Unity, Halo:MCC, those were all broken games on release. RL runs like a champ and you can play training/season mode while waiting on them to add/fix the servers.

Yes, I know, I should have worded that better. However, when your game is hugely dependent on its online component you better make you have working servers. It's just that I'm getting annoyed that all the downtime seems to be during the times I'm home while they're up while I'm at work :p.
I hope the hotfix will Improve things.

Yes, I know, I should have worded that better. However, when your game is hugely dependent on its online component you better make you have working servers. It's just that I'm getting annoyed that all the downtime seems to be during the times I'm home while they're up while I'm at work :p.

It sounds like in this case they did everything they could do to have enough server capacity. Unfortunately when you have an online component, there are too many things that are out of your hands as a game developer and you have to rely on other companies. And even when they do their part correctly, there can still be issues that weren't foreseen.

quickwhips

Game works 100% fine for me. No bugs or anything. Servers crapping out has nothing to do with the game.

When the real game is online it sure does. They knew they were releasing for ps+ and we know how many people have PS+. Stop making excuses for developers. I like the game also but its bullshit that it is indie so /forgiven.

Oogedei

Yeah pretty much this. Okay, it's not broken, still you can't play the major part of this game. I played the championship and won, played the training lessons , played offline matches, etc. but this is just not the major part of this game. I just want to play with friends and enjoy this awesome game.
People need to stop this fanboy sympathy. You can love RL and still hate the fact that they could have made sure that the servers work properly at least two days after release.

It sounds like in this case they did everything they could do to have enough server capacity. Unfortunately when you have an online component, there are too many things that are out of your hands as a game developer and you have to rely on other companies. And even when they do their part correctly, there can still be issues that weren't foreseen.

Especially when you're a relatively smaller game that gets hit with 90,000 people during launch week.

Iced

Yeah pretty much this. Okay, it's not broken, still you can't play the major part of this game. I played the championship and won, played the training lessons , played offline matches, etc. but this is just not the major part of this game. I just want to play with friends and enjoy this awesome game.
People need to stop this fanboy sympathy. You can love RL and still hate the fact that they could have made sure that the servers work properly at least two days after release.

Or you can lower your expectations for launches of games with a major online component. Seriously, are you new to gaming? This is absolutely nothing new, and condemning the developers isn't helping anything - nor is calling someone like me a "fanboy" because I don't expect perfection from everything.

I survived the Battlefield 4 launch. This is peanuts.

I just don't get devs acting surprised to see huge numbers online... You gave the game away for free!!!

It's irritating that most games are unplayable online at launch nowadays. Sony, especially, with the DriveClub nonsense and now this. Not to mention PSN being down several times per week.

Mendoza

Or you can lower your expectations for launches of games with a major online component. Seriously, are you new to gaming? This is absolutely nothing new, and condemning the developers isn't helping anything - nor is calling someone like me a "fanboy" because I don't expect perfection from everything.

I know the game was free, but because of this they should have taken into consideration how many PS+ PS4 members could have downloaded this. It's not like they were caught off guard with user numbers. I expect games to work 2 days after launch, free or not. To give a pass is to coddle bullshit.

Also: Looking for 2v2 private games with my friend! PSN ID- MassiveMendoza

Oogedei

There are multiplayer games out there working fine on day one.
I don't expect perfect server performance it would be enough if it would work like 70% of the time. I don't call you a fanboy, wrong wording there but you have to call bad things when they're there and this is certainly a pretty annoying thing. It will never change when you're like "nah, it's okay, it's launch week". Other devs manage it to release MP games which work on day one or at least day two/three. It's the duty of the devs to make it work on release, not the duty of the players to wait 1 week till it works. Things will never change this way and there are enough people who don't want this mess at launch week.

You can love RL and still hate the fact that they could have made sure that the servers work properly at least two days after release.

You aren't wrong to be disappointed, but I would hope the utterly unending string of server issues when games launch, no matter how big or well funded the company, would serve to illustrate that this is almost impossible to pull off. You simply can't simulate live conditions like this reliably - hell we held TWO basically open betas and peaked around 7k users and had zero issues. We're now trying to accommodate 100k.

It has absolutely nothing to do with someone checking a "10k" box on the VIDEO GAMEZ SERVER ORDER FORM instead of "100k". Developers and publishers aren't lazy morons and everyone realizes how frustrating server issues at launch can be.

It's just a really hard problem and no matter how much preparation goes into it, shit will break where you least expect it when you throw 100,000+ people at web services at once.

None of that excuses a product you purchase not working as expected. But there's not a clear path towards reconciling that. It's supposed to be the point of Beta but obviously that's not representative for most games.

WITHE1982

PS4 update went flying through to 1.5GB but has now stalled. showing an hour to download the last 340mb. These PSN download speeds in Europe are atrocious.

The only prob I have with crappy launch servers is people get bored and move on. The servers get fixed (or less people are trying to use them) and the game will die a quick death a couple of months.

im gonna quote this if it happens to rainbow 6 siege.

No, this is not an excuse. You can't just realease broken things even if it's launch week. This attitude is part of this problem. I don't want to check twitter for every 5 minutes to see if the game works.
They didn't release it broken. Your attitude is part of the negativity problem surrounding gaming. This is a title launched globally and the response to it has been so great that they are literally having trouble keeping up with the required amount of servers needing to be added to support everyone.

That is the best excuse, not even taking into account that almost EVERY MAJOR GAME (and this is an indie game) that has online usually has problems like this or worse on launch week.

1.9GB on PS4

Are we certain this is the actual patch size and it's not just the same situation as before where PSN shows the total install size (post patch) as the download size?

PS4 update went flying through to 1.5GB but has now stalled. showing an hour to download the last 340mb. These PSN download speeds in Europe are atrocious.

It's because the 1.9GB is the cumulative patch total, the first ~1.5 was the day one patch, the last 400Mb is the new stuff just added.

Justified

Same here I had 8mins left at around ~1.234GB. Im at 1.895 with 45mins now

edit* Starting to fly again now

Are we certain this is the actual patch size and it's not just the same situation as before where PSN shows the total install size (post patch) as the download size?

Yea that could be it

People should back off the Devs a bit with the nasty comments.

They are posting frequently and giving us detailed updates about the issues. I don't know of any other Devs who care about their community enough to do that.

I am loving the game and the servers have been good to me. (I play really late at night)

WITHE1982

It's because the 1.9GB is the cumulative patch total, the first ~1.5 was the day one patch, the last 400Mb is the new stuff just added.

Cool. Didn't know that.

enhanced-32005-1422840611-40.jpg

It has absolutely nothing to do with someone checking a "10k" box on the VIDEO GAMEZ SERVER ORDER FORM instead of "100k". Developers and publishers aren't lazy morons and everyone realizes how frustrating server issues at launch can be.

A good point well made. Thanks for posting here and keeping us up to date.

For what it's worth my workplace recently made a change, we spent a lot of time, money and effort verifying that everything worked as expected and then watched in horror as everything fell apart under full load due to some firewall configuration issue. The reputational impact was on us, but the 3rd party we pay to maintain our firewalls weren't named and shamed. Way of the world these days.

And Merlin just trashed my 27 week season in the playoffs with yet another own goal. There's something wrong with that boy.

Slixshot

Banned
The only prob I have with crappy launch servers is people get bored and move on. The servers get fixed (or less people are trying to use them) and the game will die a quick death a couple of months.

im gonna quote this if it happens to rainbow 6 siege.

In the summer months with nothing else releasing, I feel like a tight vocal community can keep this game BIG

SappYoda

All these afternoons of no online i've been practicing aereals psyonix.

If the servers ever come back online my vengeance will be terrible.

I suck at aereals managed 20% at all stars at most -_-u

You aren't wrong to be disappointed, but I would hope the utterly unending string of server issues when games launch, no matter how big or well funded the company, would serve to illustrate that this is almost impossible to pull off. You simply can't simulate live conditions like this reliably - hell we held TWO basically open betas and peaked around 7k users and had zero issues. We're now trying to accommodate 100k.

It's just a really hard problem and no matter how much preparation goes into it, shit will break where you least expect it when you throw 100,000+ people at web services at once.

None of that excuses a product you purchase not working as expected. But there's not a clear path towards reconciling that. It's supposed to be the point of Beta but obviously that's not representative for most games.
All the devs should eat a loaf of bread now for good measure.

Patchnotes anyone?
Stability

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Had my best game so far earlier. It was a 2v2, we won 7-0, I scored 5 of them. Makes you feel like such a badass! Had another couple of great games after that too. Not as high-scoring for me, but still awesome. Really starting to feel like I'm getting the hang of this now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom