• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

I don't know the overall opinion about this, but if the ball is on your side of the field then there better be a god damn goalie in your net. Most goals that I experience happen because there is noone in the net or close to the net to save the ball.

Absolutely someone should be defending the goal when the ball is in your half. So many people only halfway rotate instead of going all the way back to the goal, which leads to players going for the same ball and of course open goals. Same thing happens on the attack side, when last man back doesn't rotate all the way back to midfield.

There aren't many players who can get that perfect attack/defense balance. They are too conservative or too aggressive.

My playstyle is more like 65 conservative / 35 aggressive.

I feel that good players -- people that get the game -- definitely skew towards conservative, as it means understanding rotations and positioning and having the patience to wait for your touches vs panicking / rushing / making poor decisions.

If you've never watched M1keRules stream I highly recommend it, as in addition to being entertaining, he is one of the most patient players -- he is so fucking smooth, never rushes, and almost every touch is quality. Also his striking accuracy is just incredible. So many players are clueless on the physics of shooting. My goal scoring went way up after studying how he sets up and executes shots.

rafaelr

it seems like more and more players (around CE/RS levels) think it´s better to defend the corner (or defend from the corner), and that´s where they´ll rotate to. but often they´re stationary in the corner, and the resulting clear attempt is weak at best. dunno, changing defense meta or are they all just overestimating their skill at wall clears and stuff?

also, i´d really love a better training mode for consoles, seeing stuff like this and this makes me really jealous.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Absolutely someone should be defending the goal when the ball is in your half. So many people only halfway rotate instead of going all the way back to the goal, which leads to players going for the same ball and of course open goals. Same thing happens on the attack side, when last man back doesn't rotate all the way back to midfield.

I feel that good players -- people that get the game -- definitely skew towards conservative, as it means understanding rotations and positioning and having the patience to wait for your touches vs panicking / rushing / making poor decisions.

If you've never watched M1keRules stream I highly recommend it, as in addition to being entertaining, he is one of the most patient players -- he is so fucking smooth, never rushes, and almost every touch is quality. Also his striking accuracy is just incredible. So many players are clueless on the physics of shooting. My goal scoring went way up after studying how he sets up and executes shots.

Good post.

I'll watch some of his videos, but he's evil incarnate, isn't he?
:p

^^^ ha ha he's an acquired taste for sure but I find him really entertaining and love his play style. Lately after he finishes playing he's been hosting this food channel that plays all these corny cooking shows from the 80's and 90's and everyone in chat memes the shit out of them. It's a hoot. Only downside is he streams pretty late for me (east coast) in 11pm to 4 am area.

Was listening to the extended interviews Psyonix just posted from the documentary and PC accounts for half of all sales then thee rest is split basically evenly between Xbox and PS4. Crazy how big this game became in PC and it's still a top ten seller on Steam.

Best shot in Riocket League history? maybe.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I'll put this game on the same list as Rainbow Six Siege. Both games are great with a decent team. Playing with randoms is like russian roulette.

That's poison in games with small teams. Matchmaking needs to be better and put me into matches with equal skilled players. It would be okay waiting 5 minutes for the matchmaking to finish then.

Was listening to the extended interviews Psyonix just posted from the documentary and PC accounts for half of all sales then thee rest is split basically evenly between Xbox and PS4. Crazy how big this game became in PC and it's still a top ten seller on Steam.

Best shot in Riocket League history? maybe.

Maybe if it wasn't Squishy, a cheating fuck with no morality. It is a really good shot honestly, that last moment touch is great. But he's a fucking idiot. I have no respect for him since he entered a low level private competition under a false name despite being told he couldn't, just for an easy $500 raised by the players themselves. This is legit the best shot I've ever seen though since there was no other possible way to get that ball in from that angle.

Edit: should probably point out that isn't my shot by the way. No idea who's it was, just some very impressive play from someone at Reddit.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Maybe if it wasn't Squishy, a cheating fuck with no morality. It is a really good shot honestly, that last moment touch is great. But he's a fucking idiot. I have no respect for him since he entered a low level private competition under a false name despite being told he couldn't, just for an easy $500 raised by the players themselves. This is legit the best shot I've ever seen though since there was no other possible way to get that ball in from that angle.

Nice one.

I'll put this game on the same list as Rainbow Six Siege. Both games are great with a decent team. Playing with randoms is like russian roulette.

That's poison in games with small teams. Matchmaking needs to be better and put me into matches with equal skilled players. It would be okay waiting 5 minutes for the matchmaking to finish then.

Yeah, I'd rather wait longer too. There should be a simple option you check off to wait for longer matches with exact / closest MMR range instead of an average of unbalanced teams. But sadly even if they do this it still won't solve the ELO problem of actual skill varying greatly across the same MMR. Some measure of actual mechanical / positioning / mental skill needs to be incorporated to keep inexperienced or don't want to get better players out of higher skilled games.

Factoring in scoring obviously has its own pitfalls so my solution is you have to score a certain % on all all-star training drills (adding drills for rotations, clears, and passing). Something like 80-100% starts you off Rising Star. 50-79% Challenger I, 20-49% Prospect I and anything lower you don't get to play ranked yet.

TheKeyPit

Banned
My Xbox team is currently participating in a german 3v3 casual tournament. We're very lucky. We had to play our first two matches against the best teams from the last tournament and we lost 2 out of 3 matches every time with a difference of one goal -.-

-------

Yeah, I'd rather wait longer too. There should be a simple option you check off to wait for longer matches with exact / closest MMR range instead of an average of unbalanced teams. But sadly even if they do this it still won't solve the ELO problem of actual skill varying greatly across the same MMR. Some measure of actual mechanical / positioning / mental skill needs to be incorporated to keep inexperienced or don't want to get better players out of higher skilled games.

Factoring in scoring obviously has its own pitfalls so my solution is you have to score a certain % on all all-star training drills (adding drills for rotations, clears, and passing). Something like 80-100% starts you off Rising Star. 50-79% Challenger I, 20-49% Prospect I and anything lower you don't get to play ranked yet.

They should hire someone to rate every player. /jk

Went on like an 8 game streak with two of my boys in which we wrecked pretty much every team we came across. Damn, this game can be such a joy sometimes.

And such a frustrating experience other times.

Bollocks

Sometimes I feel like my team doesn't deserve my saves, doing aerial saves only to have my teammate choke on the easy follow up lob.

v1lla21

Came home after driving from LA just to play with some dumbass who couldn't block for shit. The nerve on the fuckboi to tell me I suck. We lost the first game because he decided to go for boost rather than block and we lost the second game because he whiffed two easy shots.

How does that work and what are the offers like?
Most people use Reddit or discord.

Reddit Link

Clack on PS4 and see what people are asking and selling. Though they tend to sell high buy low there. Keys never lose value. Painted tires and black market decals have the most value. cases, decals, toppers can usually be traded for the same type of item as they aren't even worth a key. PS4 Prices are a bit lower than PC so the discord may be the best way to price things.

Shantom

Does anyone on PC and EU servers want to group up for Standard? I've done my placements and a few matches after and am in Challenger III. I'm Rising Star in Solo Standard so it should be a fairly easy climb up to the Star ranks in a team.

Bollocks

You know your teammates aren't on the same level when you concede the game winning goal with less than 4s to go and you're the only one to forfeit.

I'm level 60 on PS4 and 30 on Steam and today was the 2nd time I ever ragequit, I try to maintain a positive attitude but trying to climb the shithole that is solo standard challenger 3, nope fuck each and every one of them.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Stuck in Challenger 3 Div.3 without going up or down after playing like 15 straight. This fucking sucks.

Welcome to purgatory. Teammates make or break this game. All you can really do is control yourself play smart try your best to stay in all games, eventually you'll break through. I'm stuck between challenger elite and rising star and it's the same story just back and forth, dominant when my teammate knows how to rotate, drop em when my teammate has their head up their ass.

Edit- speaking of that, will reach out again... Anybody in the CE rising star rank looking to run 2s? Would love a consistent teammate, shoot me a request on PSN at whiteshirtkyd if interested.

Grinchy

Banned
I have played nothing but unranked for like the past couple months. Ranked is cool, but not taking the game seriously is so much more fun.

I love getting in a room with people who are good but like talking friendly trash. It's just a constant back and forth and little inside jokes start to form. So much better than pretending that getting my rank up is important somehow.

I'm trying to get a Dominus GT for a friend, but noone wants to do the trade. 4xc1 and 2xc3 should be enough for that car.
C3 crates have dropped in value in the past week or two. It's now about 3 C3 crates (some say four, but that's a bit much) to one key. So your offer is less than two keys. And I'd say there's still some demand for the GT. Enough to warrant two keys.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So just checked I have 6 cc3 6 cc2 and 3 cc1. With the 6 cc3 I can't get 2 keys? What value is that?

Edit- also if I have the dominus I can trade that as well?

Soulflarz

Banned
Complete time waste for me atm unless I can regain my solo techskill because low ranks hurt with how they play.
Rising Stars-half of all stars can't rotate- they're borderline awful on average. It's unwanted loses unless I do stuff you're not really expected to do at all star :/

Shooting Star 4, bleh. I hate the grind back to what's purple now. Punishes are braindead. Kinda sucks because it's hard to find anyone low all star/shooting star who isn't their rank and will jump straight to purples.

https://gfycat.com/DependableTestyKagu
https://gfycat.com/UnsightlyMenacingIbadanmalimbe

4C1 = 1 key
2C3 = 0.8 keys

Dominus = 2-3 keys

wth. I got a Dominus for this just a week ago...

I'd say it's more like 5 or even 6 C1 crates for one key. And C2 crates are essentially worthless compared to keys. Which is ridiculous, but I think most have gotten what they wanted. So it's really only 1:1 swaps, crates for painted toppers or regular crate items, or larger trades for painted exotics. I think a lot of people are simply waiting for C4 crates to do much more trading. Though you do still see some trading for painted uncommon wheels that go for about a key or two.

dickroach

phew. was just doing doubles. my teammate left like a minute in. i got the game to OT tied 1-1, and then just did a 6 minute 1v2 overtime (and lost). that was intense

I wish I could decently play a decent match this week. Is the lag utterly terrible for anyone else?

fine for me in NY
i try and only connect to the US servers

Soulflarz

Banned
Complete time waste for me atm unless I can regain my solo techskill because low ranks hurt with how they play.
Rising Stars-half of all stars can't rotate- they're borderline awful on average. It's unwanted loses unless I do stuff you're not really expected to do at all star :/

Shooting Star 4, bleh. I hate the grind back to what's purple now. Punishes are braindead. Kinda sucks because it's hard to find anyone low all star/shooting star who isn't their rank and will jump straight to purples.

https://gfycat.com/DependableTestyKagu
https://gfycat.com/UnsightlyMenacingIbadanmalimbe

lol nvm played on ps4 and hit superstar 4 with 3 losses
yeah
b r a i n d e a d*

*at least until super champions? I hope. The only times we've lost are when we have consistency issues- I mean 4 basic misses or something, almost never rotational punishes.

Unicorn

I have almost 20 crates. I make a broad thread on Steam for crate to key trade with open offers welcome, but receive nothing. I guess crates have finally hit rock bottom in value. I don't even know if I want to buy keys to open them. My last 5 crates I opened were really disappointing. I guess I just wait for painted wheel drops now...

Soulflarz

Banned
2hr solo in a row, 2 losses

AJ6IJjA.png

...in a nutshell

Top Bottom