• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

TheKeyPit

Banned
2hr solo in a row, 2 losses

AJ6IJjA.png

...in a nutshell

Can I see some gameplay videos of you playing? You always sound like the king of Rocket League.

Soulflarz

Banned
Can I see some gameplay videos of you playing? You always sound like the king of Rocket League.

I'm not lol, I just solely played with friends for the past half month when I returned to rocket league after my semester long hiatus, and they were low blues when my old rank was 900-1000 s2, so it was pretty braindead the past 2 weeks. Finally had it click again/I'm past that finally and ranking up like crazy. While I rotate very well and 50-50 fast, I'm still trash when it comes to plenty of techskill things >_> which kinda sucks, because it just means cool passes and stuff, no freestyle or aerial drifts :x

I can stream whenever*, but don't actually expect anything that good besides solid 2s play, lazulic/pepiope could still run me into the ground. Reminder, GAF has a crazy rocket league following, with some notable guys who could beat all but the pros.

*soon™ project tomorrow and test thurs orz

1000 hours in and I'm SO close to deleting this right now. This year's ranked system is pushing me close to breaking point. First, it keeps dropping my ranks off for not playing them enough, then when I do, I'm sharply reminded of why I don't since I land a team with some fuckwit who can't ever hit the ball and blames everyone around him constantly. Literally this piece of shit never even hit the ball once with no lack of trying.

Ban these fuckers from ranked until they can learn to shut up when they lose.THIS is why I stick to player matches, and that's fucked too since the MM is shit for that, but putting up with the crap you see in ranked to get to a point with consistently better players is not worth the stress it comes with. I'm gonna be forever hoping I find that one or two decent games per day in player matches at this rate.

dickroach

when "MASTER"s say shit like "git gud" in Prospect Elite.
dude, you've been playing for like 400 hours and you're still in prospect

Anustart

Rather trade here if possible. Basically have no items from crates, have a key I'd be open to trading for c3's. Dunno going rates, lemme know! Also, have never traded in RL, so would have to guide me how as well lol.

Rather trade here if possible. Basically have no items from crates, have a key I'd be open to trading for c3's. Dunno going rates, lemme know! Also, have never traded in RL, so would have to guide me how as well lol.

Are you on PS4? I have a few C3s I'd be willing to trade.

Grinchy

Banned
Anyone on PC want forest green Tunica wheels for 3 keys? I really don't feel like bothering with reddit or discord.

Soulflarz

Banned
Well, not necessarily farmed, but...I think a better explanation is 'never tried to improve'

But really, if you have over 500 hours and you're having no improvement, I'm mildly confused- I know people who picked it up and hit purples in ~250.

You have to make some active effort. Not much, but still. Look at how you can improve- it's not always techskill or positioning, sometimes it's realizing you can 50-50 a ton faster. In fact, I'd argue that's the biggest difference between blues and high purples now. I forgot this, was stuck shooting star last week. Remembered it 2 days ago, nearly got to purple in a single sitting.

If you get stuck in RL, ask for help, the whole community is there to analyze and help!

Edit: I'm serious. It may seem intimidating, but I promise it helps :3
*granted, most people only care about some rank number going up instead of truly improving, which isn't the best, but yeah, this knocks both issues out!

rafaelr

realizing you can 50-50 a ton faster. In fact, I'd argue that's the biggest difference between blues and high purples now.

can you go into more detail on that? i find that i´m losing a lot of 50-50s and contested balls recently, and i´m not sure what exactly i need to change to improve. i try to go higher than the opponent but that doesn´t seem to be the definitive solution either.

Soulflarz

Banned
can you go into more detail on that? i find that i´m losing a lot of 50-50s and contested balls recently, and i´m not sure what exactly i need to change to improve. i try to go higher than the opponent but that doesn´t seem to be the definitive solution either.

Higher, rushing faster, etc. Usually it's at higher level you can position yourself better so you know you're comfortable that x won't go in but you can still challenge his attack. Going higher on aerial 50-50s in the easy one- notice that if you go super high, they go second, which means they miss. This is true into purples really.

edit: yeah mid all stars and
...no one 50-50s fast

almost every goal is from someone going up first yet "rotation issues" is all you hear lol

1v2 in all star (teammate dc'd after 0-1)
s i g h

edit: I got a matchmaking ban for that, l m a o

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Just dropped like a stone from Rising Star division IV to challenger 3 division III. I'm sorry I simply don't buy the ranking system in this game at all, it's loaded with trolls, smurfs, and garbage. Terrible night for rocket league. last time this happened I quit for months, I may give it up for good here. My play was fine, I tried making adjustments but nothing was changing. I encountered back to back the same guy who is without question the worst griefer I've played with yet, who immediately turned on me and started helping the other team. I encountered numerous smurfs who were air dribbling into perfect passes in the challenger III ranks. The matchmaking is hot garbage.

Soulflarz

Banned
It all depends what you make of it! In ~7hr, I fell 2 divisions playing with randoms who added me, but I also made sure to spend the time constantly making sure I improved my 2s fundamentals even more. I wanted to make sure every shot in was because of me out 50-50ing my opponents or destroying their rotation in a way where my teammate got a breakaway.

I play to apply this to when I go back to ps4 over break and go back to ranking.

Learning mechanics>having a high number thing.

Hasney

Well, not necessarily farmed, but...I think a better explanation is 'never tried to improve'

But really, if you have over 500 hours and you're having no improvement, I'm mildly confused- I know people who picked it up and hit purples in ~250.

You have to make some active effort. Not much, but still. Look at how you can improve- it's not always techskill or positioning, sometimes it's realizing you can 50-50 a ton faster. In fact, I'd argue that's the biggest difference between blues and high purples now. I forgot this, was stuck shooting star last week. Remembered it 2 days ago, nearly got to purple in a single sitting.

If you get stuck in RL, ask for help, the whole community is there to analyze and help!

Edit: I'm serious. It may seem intimidating, but I promise it helps :3
*granted, most people only care about some rank number going up instead of truly improving, which isn't the best, but yeah, this knocks both issues out!

Yup. I mean, nothing can help you in standard 3's even if your game is on point. But if you're languishing in other modes, getting some more eyes on your game can help.

Grinchy

Banned
After playing unranked for months after getting fed up with ranked, I think I've gotten way better at the game. You can take so many more risks and play so much more aggressively when you don't really care that much if you win. So you get to that point where you can pull off really intricate touches that you're totally confident you'll hit.

I think when I was grinding ranked every day, I fell into some bad habits where I played too passively and always assumed the worst was coming or that what I wanted to go for was too risky. Letting the other team set up offensive plays against you because you are too timid to go in and challenge them is, IMO, one of the major reasons people lose in ranked (myself included).

Soulflarz

Banned
Yup. I mean, nothing can help you in standard 3's even if your game is on point. But if you're languishing in other modes, getting some more eyes on your game can help.

The trick to solo 3s is to ignore it until you're so proficient that you can just out 50-50 everyone until you hit a point that people rotate properly, whenever that is.

Only all star on PC for 2s cause solo and that's 90% of my teams goals. That or abusing techskill+rotation, until champion-ish people have this weird habit of assuming the ball is a lot safer than it really is, and all it takes is a redirect from a seemingly impossibly angle (ie- fly from left to right for a sideways touch) and it'll slowly roll in due to them not being in a position to stop it at all.

Soulflarz

Banned
I gotta ask people who were s2 purples and such-- did you ever use the trainer? I never lied it and I didn't learn anything from it vs just hitting it off the walls.

Soulflarz

Banned
Please guys start reporting trolls and boosters, this is such a poisonous community.
Boosting is a thing because high ranks solo queue on accounts they haven't touched in awhile (ie- pc vs ps4 or such, or grand champ in 3s but low blues in 2s)

Such is the issue of playlists

hi i just got this problem play RL on PC

this is after playing with a new DS4 under steams DS4 beta

while playing a game the screen went windowed and zoomed in so that now im only seeing the front half of my car

i dont know how to undo this or why it happened

EDIT: NVM stupid ps4 beta somehow played with the in game camera distance setting

TheKeyPit

Banned
This game is sometimes pure trash. I came home tonight at around 11pm and started playing. I won, I lost. It was one of those nights where you don't make any progress, but you're having a good time. Then all of a sudden: The game freezes right at the start of a match. I have to close the game and restart it, thinking that I'll be able to jump back into that game. "Ranked match has already concluded". No problem. I'll just start the matchmaking... "Fuck you! You are banned from matchmaking for 15 minutes!". Evening ruined!!! Thanks Rocket League. I wanted to play more, but now I'll just drop into my bed.

Edit: Seriously, I'm disappointed. I browsed GAF for a bit and then I still thought "Why?".

vort3x

If anyone wants to get rid of crates I'll take em. I have like 4 keys left and I haven't gotten a single crate in over a week now.

Soulflarz

Banned
Game crashed and I lost my rank :/ luckily I kept my items but damnit I was 2 levels away from Rocketeer.

mine crashed and deleted it yeah. thank god for cloud saves.

--these blues smurfs are AMAZING in 1s
i lovee it, so much practice on my ps4 on break without leveling, playing people in shooting star who are grand champs in 2s!

ive been hitting some good shots lately. this is just 1 of a few to come lol.
100% intentional redirect

nice to see us old ones still improve ^_^

Pejo

Whats the deal with players joining a game and driving around the arena without even trying to play the game? I've had it happen 5-6 times over the past 2 days.

Is there some sort of meta thing behind it?

Grinchy

Banned
Whats the deal with players joining a game and driving around the arena without even trying to play the game? I've had it happen 5-6 times over the past 2 days.

Is there some sort of meta thing behind it?

They are not actually playing. They're idling for crates.

I think you're supposed to report them for unsportsmanlike conduct because there's no "idling" thing in the reporting.

Cappa

Banned
Overwatch has made me neglect RL....

I stopped playing around the time they released the loot crates and the underwater arena.

Have there been any significant changes since then besides new modes / cars / items etc?

Tuffty

Played a match of Rocket League again after being away from it for a while and that was all it took to get me right back into it again. Rumble mode is a nice dumb way to spend matches, can't really get mad if you lose. I'm still getting those annoying issues though where my car almost seems to...teleport? Almost like the game hitches for a split second and repositions me. Pretty sure it's not lag either as I always have a green ping. Does this happen to anyone else?

Grinchy

Banned
Played a match of Rocket League again after being away from it for a while and that was all it took to get me right back into it again. Rumble mode is a nice dumb way to spend matches, can't really get mad if you lose. I'm still getting those annoying issues though where my car almost seems to...teleport? Almost like the game hitches for a split second and repositions me. Pretty sure it's not lag either as I always have a green ping. Does this happen to anyone else?

That kinda sounds like it might be the rubber-banding that others have experienced.

The one time I got it, I ended up completely reinstalling the game as a result. If you don't have data caps and have decently fast internet, it's very simple to reinstall and see if that helps.

Tuffty

That kinda sounds like it might be the rubber-banding that others have experienced.

The one time I got it, I ended up completely reinstalling the game as a result. If you don't have data caps and have decently fast internet, it's very simple to reinstall and see if that helps.

Interesting. I've had the game since launch and don't really remember it happening then so something must have happened? I'll try reinstalling it. Thanks!

Top Bottom