• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

Xyber

Where do you find your custom tracks? Are there some places more reputable than others?

Pretty much all custom songs is available at smithyanvils forum. That's where I and many other have shared our stuff. You need to make an account to get access to downloads.

mcawesome

Neo Member
I just picked this up for the 360 as amazon had it on sale today.

Does anyone know if I can play bass out of the box? Or is it like RS1 where the bass is a DLC pack? Also if I import the RS1 tracks can I play bass with those even though I didn't download the bass DLC?

R1CHO

I just picked this up for the 360 as amazon had it on sale today.

Does anyone know if I can play bass out of the box? Or is it like RS1 where the bass is a DLC pack? Also if I import the RS1 tracks can I play bass with those even though I didn't download the bass DLC?

Bass is included on the game.

Can't tell about the import though of the original.

I got the 360 version. Now I said 'no' to importing the Rocksmith songs the first time and it seems like it's impossible to download after. I can't find the songs anywhere, not even in the shop. Is this some kind of bug?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I have the PS3 version of the original game. Will my 1/4" jack to USB work with Rocksmith 2014 on the PC?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I have the PS3 version of the original game. Will my 1/4" jack to USB work with Rocksmith 2014 on the PC?
Yeah, the cable is universal iirc.

---

Here's a dumb question. When they want a full bend, you basically have to push up on the string as hard as you can right? I think bending the string is messing with my timing because I need to wait for it to come down before strumming again and boop, I'm behind.

Xyber

Yeah, the cable is universal iirc.

---

Here's a dumb question. When they want a full bend, you basically have to push up on the string as hard as you can right? I think bending the string is messing with my timing because I need to wait for it to come down before strumming again and boop, I'm behind.

Push too hard and you might bend it too far. When there's a bend you will see a little arrow like this "^", that means you bend 1 half step. If there is 2 of them you bend a full step and if it's 3 you bend 3 half steps up.

I have the same problem as you, I haven't learned to bend fast and accurate to keep up if there's notes coming right after it. So some solos can be quite tricky where you need to bend the orange (G) string and then play something on the green (B) string right after and then up to a bend again.

Oh well, more practice and hopefully I'll get good at it some day!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Push too hard and you might bend it too far. When there's a bend you will see a little arrow like this "^", that means you bend 1 half step. If there is 2 of them you bend a full step and if it's 3 you bend 3 half steps up.

I have the same problem as you, I haven't learned to bend fast and accurate to keep up if there's notes coming right after it. So some solos can be quite tricky where you need to bend the orange (G) string and then play something on the green (B) string right after and then up to a bend again.

Oh well, more practice and hopefully I'll get good at it some day!

Unfortunately the video isn't clear... what is the difference between a half-step and a full-step in terms of what you need to physically do to the strings? They both look the same to me in the demo, and I can't pass the riff test because it keeps saying I'm missing the bend notes. lol

Onemic

Unfortunately the video isn't clear... what is the difference between a half-step and a full-step in terms of what you need to physically do to the strings? They both look the same to me in the demo, and I can't pass the riff test because it keeps saying I'm missing the bend notes. lol

I think a half-step means push the string you need to bend up to the next higher/lower string(ie bend the 5th string up until the string reaches the 4th string and vice versa for a half step bend) A full step means bend the string two strings up/down(ie bending the 5th string up until you reach the 3rd string is a full step bend and vice versa)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think a half-step means push the string you need to bend up to the next higher/lower string(ie bend the 5th string up until the string reaches the 4th string and vice versa for a half step bend) A full step means bend the string two strings up/down(ie bending the 5th string up until you reach the 3rd string is a full step bend and vice versa)
Ah, okay. I'll give that a shot when I try it again tomorrow.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I would like to see the next version bring in a keyboard track instead of just guitar and bass.
I think the problem is that Rock is probably not the best genre for piano, as we sort of saw in Rock Band 3, and people probably aren't going to get excited with playing classical music.

It is pretty much the exact same motion. It is based on the sound. The further you bend the string, the higher the pitch of the note gets. There's no exact correlation for how much string movement = how much change in sound. That other poster's recommendation of "bend the string til it hits other strings" could be a good starting point but isn't guaranteed to work exactly. Not all guitars are identical.

I have no idea how much music theory you know, so my apologies if this is really obvious/basic for you:
The terms for steps come from musical scales.
A half-step = difference in sound between one fret and the next-highest one on that string.
A whole step = difference in sound of 2 frets.

So a whole step bend is "bend til the note is of the same pitch as the unbent note 2 frets higher on that same string."

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It is pretty much the exact same motion. It is based on the sound. The further you bend the string, the higher the pitch of the note gets. There's no exact correlation for how much string movement = how much change in sound. That other poster's recommendation of "bend the string til it hits other strings" could be a good starting point but isn't guaranteed to work exactly. Not all guitars are identical.

I have no idea how much music theory you know, so my apologies if this is really obvious/basic for you:
The terms for steps come from musical scales.
A half-step = difference in sound between one fret and the next-highest one on that string.
A whole step = difference in sound of 2 frets.

So a whole step bend is "bend til the note is of the same pitch as the unbent note 2 frets higher on that same string."

Ah, that makes sense! So it's mostly a matter of trying to pick up the difference by ear then? Man, I hope I can do this tutorial.

Ah, that makes sense! So it's mostly a matter of trying to pick up the difference by ear then? Man, I hope I can do this tutorial.

Preferrably by ear, yes. If you learned your guitar very well, I suppose then you could do it purely by muscle memory, but something as simple as re-stringing it could throw you off.

I don't actually have this game yet, so take my statements with a grain of salt, but I'm pretty sure the thing where any intuitive sense of bending finally clicked for me was repeatedly playing the solo to Ace's High til I stopped sucking at it. I hear this song is DLC, so if you've downloaded it, maybe go for that? The first big series of bends right at the beginning of the solo section is what i'm thinking of.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Preferrably by ear, yes. If you learned your guitar very well, I suppose then you could do it purely by muscle memory, but something as simple as re-stringing it could throw you off.

I don't actually have this game yet, so take my statements with a grain of salt, but I'm pretty sure the thing where any intuitive sense of bending finally clicked for me was repeatedly playing the solo to Ace's High til I stopped sucking at it. I hear this song is DLC, so if you've downloaded it, maybe go for that? The first big series of bends right at the beginning of the solo section is what i'm thinking of.

I was trying to grind the bend tutorial for half an hour before my hand just cramped up and I had to stop. Probably not ready to try doing it in a real song yet. lol
I just wasn't sure if my guitar was the problem or if I just wasn't doing it right. It also seems particular about timing the slides down as well, which is probably messing me a bit.

Enso

Neo Member
Perhaps you guys can offer some insight. My sis has been playing guitar for a little over a year but she's still a beginner. Is this a good tool to help take her to that next level? How easy is it to use?

SRG01

Quick question: I have an older USB -> 1/4" cable that I used to do recordings with. Does Rocksmith work with that? Could I also use my M-Audio recording interface too?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Perhaps you guys can offer some insight. My sis has been playing guitar for a little over a year but she's still a beginner. Is this a good tool to help take her to that next level? How easy is it to use?
So far, I've been finding it great as a learning tool for the most part (hiccups with learning how to bend aside). 2014 itself is a vast improvement over the original as well in terms of interface and being a tool for learning. I like that the "video game" stuff has been put into the background for the sake of being a better teaching tool.

Of course, a lot of it depends on whether or not she wants to learn how to play rock songs. That's the heart of this package.

Quick question: I have an older USB -> 1/4" cable that I used to do recordings with. Does Rocksmith work with that? Could I also use my M-Audio recording interface too?
I've read that there are hacks and workarounds to use other devices, but officially it only supports the cable that they sell themselves.

Xyber

I was trying to grind the bend tutorial for half an hour before my hand just cramped up and I had to stop. Probably not ready to try doing it in a real song yet. lol
I just wasn't sure if my guitar was the problem or if I just wasn't doing it right. It also seems particular about timing the slides down as well, which is probably messing me a bit.

Do it in smaller chunks. Practice something for 10-15 minutes every day for a while and it will come to you eventually instead of grinding it out until your hand hurts. Bending can be though on the fingers if you do it too much.

And that bend tutorial isn't the best when it comes to note registration, took quite some time for me to get through it because it said I didn't play it right even though I did.

One way of practicing bends is to play a note on the 10th fret, listen to how it sounds and then go down to the 9th fret and try to match the note of the 10th fret by ear. When you think you got that pretty good you play the 11th fret and try to match that from the 9th fret. This way you will get a good feel for how much you need to bend for a half step and full step bend. Bends that go beyond a full step isn't used that often and you shouldn't bother with that right now.

You can then try this out on different strings and frets around the fretboard, it's harder to bend the strings on the lower frets since you are closer to the nut and there's not that much room for the strings to bend.

StranGER

I think the problem is that Rock is probably not the best genre for piano, as we sort of saw in Rock Band 3, and people probably aren't going to get excited with playing classical music.
You would be surprised how many rock acts have key / synth parts. It's a pretty huge number actually.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Do it in smaller chunks. Practice something for 10-15 minutes every day for a while and it will come to you eventually instead of grinding it out until your hand hurts. Bending can be though on the fingers if you do it too much.

And that bend tutorial isn't the best when it comes to note registration, took quite some time for me to get through it because it said I didn't play it right even though I did.

One way of practicing bends is to play a note on the 10th fret, listen to how it sounds and then go down to the 9th fret and try to match the note of the 10th fret by ear. When you think you got that pretty good you play the 11th fret and try to match that from the 9th fret. This way you will get a good feel for how much you need to bend for a half step and full step bend. Bends that go beyond a full step isn't used that often and you shouldn't bother with that right now.

You can then try this out on different strings and frets around the fretboard, it's harder to bend the strings on the lower frets since you are closer to the nut and there's not that much room for the strings to bend.
I might try that, since I can do that "offline" as it were. It might be way too advanced for me though, because I still can't find the string to strum after I bend it. At full speed in the tutorial, I'm always half a second behind.

I still feel the urge to look down at my hands and I know that's really bad. :(

Well, that and I can't get my brain to strum down and then up. I hope the years of Rock Band haven't broken my brain and rendered me unable to strum in both directions.

You would be surprised how many rock acts have key / synth parts. It's a pretty huge number actually.
I'll be honest in that I didn't really keep up with RB3 after the first few months, but I just don't remember it having a lot of piano based songs that I wanted to play. It's one of the reasons why I dropped it fairly quickly, leaving me with a dinky little piano that doesn't work anywhere else. lol

---

Speaking of which, one of my key complaints of Rocksmith 1 seems to be back in Rocksmith 2014 - unless, of course, I'm just missing it. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to see what chords are in a song from the menus. I think you can see it in the song itself if you pause it, but then it doesn't show all the chords - only the chords available on whatever difficulty you happen to be in.

Still, I can mangle the intro to Blitzkrieg Bop now at near full speed, and for about 90 minutes of work, I'm pretty damn happy with that. lol

I honestly haven't felt this way since, well, when I was able to FC Blitzkrieg Bop in the original Rock Band. lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I thought everyone got tired of being an imaginary rockstar?
Rocksmith is what Rock Band 3's pro-mode promised. Being able to play the real song on a real guitar. If you like rock music and have always wanted to play along with your favourite rock songs, it's great.

Of course, I guess that's still imaginary rock star in a way. :p

got this as a black friday deal 2014 and cable for £25.

Tried to learn guitar when i was younger going to use this to do it. Hopefully my love of video games will push this on.

Ordered an Ibanez Starlight Blue SR250 for my wife for Christmas. It will be easier for her to use than the Yamaha bass we have now. Her hands are small so she needs a thinner neck.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Problems with bends

so in the game there is a bend that looks like a long sustain..and it has either 1 or more ^
as well try to look at the shape of the sustained bend...some look like this /--\_____
where your bending up quickly then releasing while still sustaining the note.
others you hold the bend longer.

Heres screencap from a youtube vid where you can see what i mean
y24iDML.jpg

try releasing your bend while still sustaining the note when you see the shape drop..you might have better success

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Another real quick question, can I use custom tracks from RS1 on RS2014? I'm guessing no, but a man can dream.

Kinda OT but when should you restring your guitar? I've had my guitar since February 2012. I played it somewhat often for the first couple months (probably about 8 hours/week) but haven't much since then except for a couple hours here and there.

Kinda OT but when should you restring your guitar? I've had my guitar since February 2012. I played it somewhat often for the first couple months (probably about 8 hours/week) but haven't much since then except for a couple hours here and there.

Once a year is a must. Maintain your guitar. Its cheaper to maintain it periodically then occasionally.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I bought the old version and the cable or whatever, I receive the cable I think today. Will buy the new version whenever I see it on sale. I hope the lag isn't too shitty in the old version :(

I bought the old version and the cable or whatever, I receive the cable I think today. Will buy the new version whenever I see it on sale. I hope the lag isn't too shitty in the old version :(
Wait... They released new cables with the newer version that has less lag? Thats news to me! Always thought they just used the same cables.

Thanks, is there anything else I need to do with it?
Buy a stand or a case if you don't have any to avoid any major maintainance. Putting the guitar on the floor will eventually bend the neck and will require some readjustments that maybe frustrating to those not familiar with it, and may end up spending $100 or so and give it to your local guitar store.

GuitarGAF can provide far better tips than me as most of my tips have been trial and error, with me learning the hard way lol.

Oh and Cables jacks will fuck up so do check the nut and tighten it once in a while if loose. Its cheaper to replace a cable than a cable jack.

Buy a stand or a case if you don't have any to avoid any major maintainance. Putting the guitar on the floor will eventually bend the neck and will require some readjustments that maybe frustrating to those not familiar with it, and may end up spending $100 or so and give it to your local guitar store.

GuitarGAF can provide far better tips than me as most of my tips have been trial and error, with me learning the hard way lol.

Oh and Cables jacks will fuck up so do check the nut and tighten it once in a while if loose. Its cheaper to replace a cable than a cable jack.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I did buy a case with it and have used it since I bought it.

If I've never played the guitar and want to learn, is this really a good learning tool ?
It's a very good learning tool.

However, it does require you to know the basics (however, that may vary as I know a lot of gaffers who jumped straight on Rocksmith and play far better than anyone who knows a thing or two about it but never gave any hard thought effort into improving, including me lol).

Quixzlizx

Is the PC version still riddled with bugs? Is it still worth it to choose the PC version for the user-made song support?

Khaz

This DLC thingy is confusing. On Windows:

You need to pay €10 more to import tracks from Rocksmith 1 . does it includes the DLC?
If I don't have the Rocksmith 1, can I buy Rocksmith 1 DLC to use in 2014? Do I need to buy the Disc Import Tool to use these old DLC?

On Steam, Rocksmith 1 DLC are not listed in the 2014 store page so it's a tad confusing.

XShagrath

Wait... They released new cables with the newer version that has less lag? Thats news to me! Always thought they just used the same cables.
Since no one answered you, I'll do it.

The cables between Rocksmtih & Rocksmith 2014 are exactly the same. They improved the engine in 2014 to have less lag. It has nothing to do with the cable itself.

Khaz said:
This DLC thingy is confusing. On Windows:

You need to pay €10 more to import tracks from Rocksmith 1 . does it includes the DLC?
If I don't have the Rocksmith 1, can I buy Rocksmith 1 DLC to use in 2014? Do I need to buy the Disc Import Tool to use these old DLC?

On Steam, Rocksmith 1 DLC are not listed in the 2014 store page so it's a tad confusing.

The Import Pack is so that you can get all of the on-disc somgs from Rocksmith 1 into RS 2014. You have to have RS1 in order to do this.

You do not need to have the disc import tool to get old DLC to show up in game (as far as I'm aware), but I do believe you must have RS1 in order to use RS1 DLC (at least until Ubi patches it).

Hope that helps you out.

Top Bottom