• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

XShagrath

It was announced on Facebook yesterday that they can now do custom Rocksmith 2014 songs.
I tried to get this working yesterday, and ran into problems. They showed up in game, but it locked up when I chose them. Then RS2014 started taking forever to load, so I did the "Verify Local Files" thing on Steam and had to do that a couple times in trying to get things to work. Somewhere along the way, I lost my in-game profile, so now I'm back to square 1. :(

I'll try it again sometime after a proper step-by-step tutorial is out, so I don't screw things up again.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
so in the game there is a bend that looks like a long sustain..and it has either 1 or more ^
as well try to look at the shape of the sustained bend...some look like this /--\_____
where your bending up quickly then releasing while still sustaining the note.
others you hold the bend longer.

Heres screencap from a youtube vid where you can see what i mean
y24iDML.jpg

try releasing your bend while still sustaining the note when you see the shape drop..you might have better success
Oh yeah, those mess me up sometimes because I don't release the bend fast enough. Although my biggest problem is still not pushing hard enough. Or perhaps too hard. I'm still not really sure. lol

Once a year is a must. Maintain your guitar. Its cheaper to maintain it periodically then occasionally.
I've always been afraid to restring my guitar because I'm afraid I'll mess it up somehow. Really should learn how to do it. lol

asdad123

Okay so I have a dilemma. My brother is interested in getting this for Christmas for PC, but I can't find it in stock anywhere.

He's looking for the guitar and game. If I can't find the bundle, what do I need to buy in order for him to have everything he needs?

Belfour20

Neo Member
Okay so I have a dilemma. My brother is interested in getting this for Christmas for PC, but I can't find it in stock anywhere.

He's looking for the guitar and game. If I can't find the bundle, what do I need to buy in order for him to have everything he needs?

You can get the PC version w/cable and just buy a cheap or used electric guitar to use with it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D6PTMHI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or can get the digital copy of the game on steam etc... and buy the tone cable separate (and again a cheap or used electric guitar)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005OSFUZI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Can get a cheap Epiphone Les Paul Jr or Les Paul I or II like they package in those kits for roughly the same price (about 129 - 149). Or a cheap squier or something along those lines. Lots of cheap options available:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/elec...profileCountryCode=US&profileCurrencyCode=USD

asdad123

You can get the PC version w/cable and just buy a cheap or used electric guitar to use with it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D6PTMHI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or can get the digital copy of the game on steam etc... and buy the tone cable separate (and again a cheap or used electric guitar)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005OSFUZI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Can get a cheap Epiphone Les Paul I or II like they package in those kits for roughly the same price (about 129 - 149). Or a cheap squier or something along those lines. Lots of cheap options available:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/elec...profileCountryCode=US&profileCurrencyCode=USD

Any guitars that are recommended. I don't wanna order him one and then find out it doesn't work.

Wait... They released new cables with the newer version that has less lag? Thats news to me! Always thought they just used the same cables.

FWIW, the cable that came with the XBox version of the first game is working fine for me on my Mac with 2014.

Any electric guitar, the game, and the USB->1/4" cable.

Any guitars that are recommended. I don't wanna order him one and then find out it doesn't work.

One that looks similar to the ones that get used by people in his favourite bands.

Kinda OT but when should you restring your guitar? I've had my guitar since February 2012. I played it somewhat often for the first couple months (probably about 8 hours/week) but haven't much since then except for a couple hours here and there.

When the strings don't feel smooth is a good indicator— unless you've not been playing it. They get gross from use and disuse; if the latter you can use oil to clean off some of the corrosion.

I've always been afraid to restring my guitar because I'm afraid I'll mess it up somehow. Really should learn how to do it. lol

It's straightforward, though there are lots of things you can do wrong. Here's (one of) the correct methods for putting your strings through your tuning pegs. What you do at the bridge is going to depend on the guitar; in general you feed the string through a hole so the ball end gets trapped by something, and then the string goes over the saddle and then you follow the page I linked.

If you have slotted tuning pegs (vintage Fender/Kluson style), or locking tuners (on pointy guitars or those that aspire to be), you do things a bit differently, but I'm sure guides are available.

You'll want a cheap pair of wire cutters and a string winder (see link for what one looks like).

Removing the old strings are easy: loosen them completely and cut them in the middle, take them all off.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's straightforward, though there are lots of things you can do wrong. Here's (one of) the correct methods for putting your strings through your tuning pegs. What you do at the bridge is going to depend on the guitar; in general you feed the string through a hole so the ball end gets trapped by something, and then the string goes over the saddle and then you follow the page I linked.

If you have slotted tuning pegs (vintage Fender/Kluson style), or locking tuners (on pointy guitars or those that aspire to be), you do things a bit differently, but I'm sure guides are available.

You'll want a cheap pair of wire cutters and a string winder (see link for what one looks like).

Removing the old strings are easy: loosen them completely and cut them in the middle, take them all off.

Maybe I should just buy a few sets of strings and then give it a shot, since eventually I'll need to learn how to do it. The worst that could happen is that I end up having to pay the store to do it for me I suppose.

The worst that could happen is that I end up having to pay the store to do it for me I suppose.

Mistakes I have made:
  • winding the string on the wrong way (pulling the loose end of the string under towards the middle of the headstock and then turning the tuning key the wrong way)
  • winding the string up instead of down from the hole in the post
  • too much string (if you run out of post for a single layer of string wrapped around it, that's way too much string).
  • too little string (measure twice, cut once)
  • winding the plain B string onto the post instead of the plain G string
  • on an acoustic steel string, have the ball end under the bridge pin instead of in front of it

Oh yeah, if you have a Tune-o-matic™ bridge:
those pieces are held in place by string tension. Also, don't absentmindedly twiddle the adjustment bolts/knobs while the strings are loose.

Theres no such thing as bad restring (and yet there is lol). They're so cheap that they're practically expendables. Your guitar is nothing without a string, and once you know how to string it you will always treat them right! :D

Practice, play around. Have fun! Even a bad winding of string can do magic if you love the unpredictability in music (not good for the game though lol).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Looks like I'd need lots of strings. lol

You know, the last time I had my guitar restrung, it was because I was tightening a string to tune it and it just snapped. Was that the string being too old, or the string being too short when it was string?

Theres no such thing as bad restring. They're so cheap that they're practically expendables. Your guitar is nothing without a string, and once you know how to string it you will always treat them right! :D
That's true too. Certainly better than paying 50+ bucks every time I need to get it done anyway!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It was too old.

Oh, this video is essentially how I string my guitars, except I do all of my strings at once and I don't clip the ends until all strings are on because I used to stab my fingers on the cut ends of just changed strings while changing another.

Cool! I'll keep this video in mind when I'm due for a change in the summer or so.

Hrm, one thing I don't understand from that video is when he uses his finger to gauge the amount of slack in the string, he doesn't say how much slack you should leave before you start winding. Should you be able to lift the string about a hand's length (from the tip of the finger) as he does in the video?

Hrm, one thing I don't understand from that video is when he uses his finger to gauge the amount of slack in the string, he doesn't say how much slack you should leave before you start winding. Should you be able to lift the string about a hand's length (from the tip of the finger) as he does in the video?

That's what he's doing. He pulls the string through more than he needs, holds it with his left hand and then lifts it off the fretboard with his right hand until he's got it the height of his middle finger at the seventh fret. Look at other videos to see what other people do.

I use the distance between the string posts— one length for the low E, one and a half for the A, it's easier to see than explain.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Bill Baker's YouTube video 'The proper way to restring a guitar' changed my life.

Best method I've come across and always works well for me.
Super easy and very stable.
I assume when he says strings only last for one or two weeks, he's talking to professional musicians!

That's what he's doing. He pulls the string through more than he needs, holds it with his left hand and then lifts it off the fretboard with his right hand until he's got it the height of his middle finger at the seventh fret. Look at other videos to see what other people do.

I use the distance between the string posts— one length for the low E, one and a half for the A, it's easier to see than explain.
Yeah, the other video there uses fingers past the post. I would assume that would be the same for stocks with the six tuning pegs lined up in a row?

Quixzlizx

Don't think user-made song support exists yet.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm talking about the non-supported way at smithyanvils.

Since it's on a new page, does anyone actually know whether the PC version is inferior/superior to the console version?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm talking about the non-supported way at smithyanvils.

Since it's on a new page, does anyone actually know whether the PC version is inferior/superior to the console version?
It supports customs and the official DLC seems like it'll get the Steam sale treatment.
Also, on console they want you to use analog sound connections to get rid of the lag, which is a bit too much trouble for me.

I assume when he says strings only last for one or two weeks, he's talking to professional musicians!

Typically before every show or every other show for the main stage guitars. For me, a hobbyist, when I'm playing an electric guitar regularly, I will change the strings every 4-6 weeks. I use coated strings on acoustic and they last longer.

Yeah, the other video there uses fingers past the post. I would assume that would be the same for stocks with the six tuning pegs lined up in a row?

Yes. Do your tuning pegs look like the ones in these videos or do they have a slot in the in the middle (from the top)?

Haven't played the console version of 2014, but the first version was unplayable with the typical digital audio set up (someone in that game's OT had a fancy HDMI receiver that made it work fine, but not my Sony). If your PC has a typical analog 2.1-7.1 speaker setup and your console is on an HDMI home theatre system, that reason alone might be enough to sway you.

Quixzlizx

Haven't played the console version of 2014, but the first version was unplayable with the typical digital audio set up (someone in that game's OT had a fancy HDMI receiver that made it work fine, but not my Sony). If your PC has a typical analog 2.1-7.1 speaker setup and your console is on an HDMI home theatre system, that reason alone might be enough to sway you.

Hmm, I'd probably be playing it on an HTPC hooked up through HDMI to a TV, lol.

Yeah, I have a Typhoon. Which, after looking it up, is apparently the black market clone version of a Fender. lol

Yes to an 'or' question? ;) OK. So the tuning posts look like this vintage-style Fender? If so, you use whatever length trick you want and instead of kinking the string there, you cut it off. Leave yourself some extra if you want. Stick the end in the hole all the way— it will hit something (if you took to much off, you can back it out a bit). Bend the string into the slot, and start winding. You'll have to hold it in place at first or the damn thing will pop out (you get used to it). It will look like it does in the photo.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yes to an 'or' question? ;) OK. So the tuning posts look like this vintage-style Fender? If so, you use whatever length trick you want and instead of kinking the string there, you cut it off. Leave yourself some extra if you want. Stick the end in the hole all the way— it will hit something (if you took to much off, you can back it out a bit). Bend the string into the slot, and start winding. You'll have to hold it in place at first or the damn thing will pop out (you get used to it). It will look like it does in the photo.
Actually, I was saying yeah to the first part. Whoops. lol
Just got home and double checked, and I meant it was a knock-off of the Stratocaster in that first video, so it has the posts where the strings go in through the side.

I *almost* want to go buy some strings and try this out for myself. I can't believe I'm excited by changing strings of all things. Yeesh!

Xyber

I tried to get this working yesterday, and ran into problems. They showed up in game, but it locked up when I chose them. Then RS2014 started taking forever to load, so I did the "Verify Local Files" thing on Steam and had to do that a couple times in trying to get things to work. Somewhere along the way, I lost my in-game profile, so now I'm back to square 1. :(

I'll try it again sometime after a proper step-by-step tutorial is out, so I don't screw things up again.

If you were trying to play customs made for the first game then they won't work. You need to convert them first and it requires some work, there is a guide on smithyanvil on how to do this.

Customs made directly for 2014 does work great now, the only thing you need is a .dll file that you put in the game directory that enables the game to load the customs (and it also fixes the audio level for the guitar in Windows so it doesn't change to 17% every time you launch it).

It's really not a hassle at all, the patch will hopefully be approved sometime this month

I guess you're right...but man, I'm pretty lazy.

I'm loving the game regardless. Is there any chance of more Oasis being introduced via DLC?

EDIT: Or Phish?!! I'll pay top dollar for some sick Phish jams.

Ezduo

Banned
I'm a total novice when it comes to this stuff but I'm pretty sure my guitar isn't supposed to sound as distorted as it does on my game. It sounds like there's barely any distinction between the strings and when you play multiple strings it combines into a giant mess of noise. It just sounds like ass in general. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Sometimes the game won't let me tune strings either. I'll sit there and pluck the strings and it never registers.

I guess you're right...but man, I'm pretty lazy.

I'm loving the game regardless. Is there any chance of more Oasis being introduced via DLC?

EDIT: Or Phish?!! I'll pay top dollar for some sick Phish jams.

Somewhat of a chance of Phish, extremely high chance for Oasis 5 Pack

Onemic

I'm a total novice when it comes to this stuff but I'm pretty sure my guitar isn't supposed to sound as distorted as it does on my game. It sounds like there's barely any distinction between the strings and when you play multiple strings it combines into a giant mess of noise. It just sounds like ass in general. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Sometimes the game won't let me tune strings either. I'll sit there and pluck the strings and it never registers.

Depending on the song,(most songs) you may have distortion or other effects applied to your guitar.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Anyone on Smithy's Anvil -- is there a way to search the forums? I know "approved" is listed alphabetically, but "submitted" is kind of a mess, and I'm looking for specific songs.

maouvin

Anyone on Smithy's Anvil -- is there a way to search the forums? I know "approved" is listed alphabetically, but "submitted" is kind of a mess, and I'm looking for specific songs.

You have to post something:

Unregistered. (limited to public sections of forums)
0 posts, Guest (no searching)
1 posts, Newbie (limited access searching)
50 posts, Member (full searching access)
500 posts, Contributor (can now set their own user title)

rav

You could go to the tone creator, and remove the pre amp, select a normal amp, and remove any pedals. and then save this as a preset (I use #2 as #1 on the KB is the automatic Authentic tones from the songs) once saved you can then use that for any song, and I believe even during the tuning.

Also, I've had some weird issues when using headphones (Sony MDR-7506) where it thinks the guitar is too quiet. I'm not sure if this is because it can't hear any feedback or what. But by calibrating with my speakers, and then switching back to headphones things seem to work better.

I have noticed it wont pick up my tuning sometimes if i'm just plucking, but if I use a pick it seems to work much better.

[If you play on Windows / Mac]
Something you could try is in the control panel, adjust the volume on the mic for the guitar, or turn on a gain multiplier.
[console]
Try switching from HDMI / Optical to analog audio?

Oh and make sure to calibrate your guitar again after switching settings around. That's found in the tuner, and I think it's Enter or space on PC to calibrate, which has you strum as much as you can as loudly as you can for a bit, and then mute the strings.

rav

Are the leaderboards and friends from UPlay or from Steam on PC?

If it's UPlay do we have a list of people from GAF that play RockSmith?

Xyber

Are the leaderboards and friends from UPlay or from Steam on PC?

If it's UPlay do we have a list of people from GAF that play RockSmith?

The game is using Steam leaderboards according to the store page, I haven't actually looked at the leaderboards yet myself.

is it just me? i cant for the life of me get the high e in "tune"

i put tune in quotes, because the only thing saying it is out of tune is rocksmith. according to my ear its fine, and according to the 3 tuners i own its in tune.

replaced the strings just in case but same problem. the other ones seem to work fine.

this is on both a gibson les paul and a fendar jaguar kurt cobain replica, which both work fine in the old rocksmith, so they arent cheap/shitty guitars

bringing this piece of shit back tomorrow if i cant get it going

i put tune in quotes, because the only thing saying it is out of tune is rocksmith. according to my ear its fine, and according to the 3 tuners i own its in tune.

replaced the strings just in case but same problem. the other ones seem to work fine.

this is on both a gibson les paul and a fendar jaguar kurt cobain replica, which both work fine in the old rocksmith, so they arent cheap/shitty guitars

Keep strumming the "e" string. I have an issue with this as well sometimes it's kind of annoying but they are fixing it.

Iorv3th

I used to have a problem with it and would just keep strumming it, however recently after patches I haven't had any trouble at all with it. Make sure your volume is turned up though.

Xyber

If you are playing on PC, it's most likely just the problem that the game put the recording volume for the guitar to 17% in Windows. This is easily fixed using the same file you use to play custom songs now. You just place a .dll-file in the game directory and it will never lower the volume of the guitar again in the game.

I had the exact same problem on launch day, was almost impossible to get the high e in tune until I noticed the problem.

Also, speaking of customs. Thank god we have them now and lower tuned songs can be played without sounding like crap. People are making a bunch of stuff and converting old customs from RS1 so fast it's hard to keep up now. I'm gonna update this playlist with songs I download or make in the future. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCYDGJ5k8ycuycZdLih-XAzz0V2wyP1ef

thanks for the responses :)

I did some googling around the same time i posted that and found loads of people with the same issue. so i just hit it once, get the e to about halfway then hit it again. it works fine when you are in the song and in the quick "non-precision tuner"

i'm all updated, playing on ps3 (1.02 i think is the newest) but the problem is still there

happy enough with the work around for the time being, loving how quick the interface is now amongst all the other improvements

Enron

Banned
I had borrowed my sister's husand's Squire Strat for this game, but I saw this today and bit.

11259575765_3b9c9a8758_c.jpg

The LP Special II has a bunch of issues, apparently, but I couldn't pass it up because this

11259617824_01ab4edb85_c.jpg

R1CHO

Finished custom songs are starting to appear, works great.

Could we get banned for playing them? From Uplay or Steam? I hope not.

Storm360

Finished custom songs are starting to appear, works great.

Could we get banned for playing them? From Uplay or Steam? I hope not.

I played tons in the first game, and running a beta version of 2014 and both my accounts are fine

I snapped a string today, (Not sure on string names, literally never bothered to learn) but it's the bottom string in Rocksmith, currently I'm dreading fixing it, I've had this guitar for 3 years and never restrung it.

Top Bottom