• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

R1CHO

I played tons in the first game, and running a beta version of 2014 and both my accounts are fine

Good to know.

I snapped a string today, (Not sure on string names, literally never bothered to learn) but it's the bottom string in Rocksmith, currently I'm dreading fixing it, I've had this guitar for 3 years and never restrung it.

It's called Purple!! :D

I fear for the day my guitar starts doing crazy things, i have no clue about guitar maintenance.

Storm360

Good to know.

It's called Purple!! :D

I fear for the day my guitar starts doing crazy things, i have no clue about guitar maintenance.

Same, I'm considering just paying someone to restring the whole thing but I gotta learn some day

My red string makes a rattle too, but it's only in RS1 and some tuning

Xyber

I played tons in the first game, and running a beta version of 2014 and both my accounts are fine

I snapped a string today, (Not sure on string names, literally never bothered to learn) but it's the bottom string in Rocksmith, currently I'm dreading fixing it, I've had this guitar for 3 years and never restrung it.

Yup, same here. There have been no mentions of bans at all during the one year I've played customs.

And my high e string also snapped today so I need to order some new ones. Anyone got tips on good strings? I'm using .10 gauge.
I was kinda lucky though, the string broke on the first bend I did in a song right after I finished playing this 30 minute long custom https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4OedMOeZ9M

I've never changed my guitar strings by myself till last week too, but I just searched for a Youtube video and tried it myself and no problems at all.

Used this video, hope someone find this useful too. It is actually pretty straightforward if you pay attention to the details, mainly how to wrap the string on that tuning knob thing. :)

saunderez

3 years?!?! You must be gentle as a lamb, I've restring my guitar half a dozen times over the past year when I snapped a string or the strings have dulled.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Same, I'm considering just paying someone to restring the whole thing but I gotta learn some day

My red string makes a rattle too, but it's only in RS1 and some tuning

Well it's not that hard to do unless you have a Floyd Rose then it's slightly more inconvenient if you don't have the allen wrench on the back of your headstock.

Also how is everyone doing in this? I haven't played in a few years and looking to use this to get back into playing and wanted a few opinions.

saunderez

Also how is everyone doing in this? I haven't played in a few years and looking to use this to get back into playing and wanted a few opinions.
I'm just over 1 year into learning guitar (started with PAL Rocksmith 1 release) and I'm achieving 60%+ mastery of most songs. If an absolute newb can do that in a year it will help people of all skill levels without a doubt. Plus it's great motivation to pick up the guitar every day.

Storm360

3 years?!?! You must be gentle as a lamb, I've restring my guitar half a dozen times over the past year when I snapped a string or the strings have dulled.
I only picked it up seriously with Rocksmith to be completely honest, I could play some basic tabs etc, but never really did anything to major, even then, I've only played around 70 hours of Rocksmith in total.

Well it's not that hard to do unless you have a Floyd Rose then it's slightly more inconvenient if you don't have the allen wrench on the back of your headstock.

I'm doing okay I guess, I tried Rise Againsts "The Good Left Undone" for the first time yesterday, as I just bought it in the Steam sale, and got around 70% accuracy, as I was pretty familiar with the song due to listening to the song a ton while I was in school, I decided to just max out all the phrases.

I only knew very basic (talking single frets on a single string, no chords etc) stuff before playing the first game when it came out on PC last year, in that time, I feel alot more confident in-regards to chords etc, and went from being hesitant to even try some songs to just starting songs with phrases set around 50 - 70%, I was playing some Tom Sawyer earlier, and felt like it was possible, I wouldn't have felt like that a year ago.

I'm looking at strings on Amazon, and this is most likely a very stupid question, but I see some are labelled 10-46 , 9-42, 10-52 etc, what do these numbers mean, if I order something will the strings be okay for my guitar?

firehawk12

Subete no aware

If you go back a page or two, there was a few posts where I ask questions about stringing a guitar here that people answered. :)

Storm360

If you go back a page or two, there was a few posts where I ask questions about stringing a guitar here that people answered. :)

Yeah, saw the links of the videos, but I was at my grandparents house posting from my phone when I originally posted, and since completely forgot about them, so thanks for the reminder.

Hoping to get some strings today hopefully... it's finding a local music shop that's still open, my town is dead.

NEO0MJ

Bought this game a couple of days ago on steam and I'm having trouble even starting it. When we go into the tuner at the intro my strings never seem to be in tune, no matter how slightly I turn the knob. It's always above or below. Any help?

Bought this game a couple of days ago on steam and I'm having trouble even starting it. When we go into the tuner at the intro my strings never seem to be in tune, no matter how slightly I turn the knob. It's always above or below. Any help?

strum as you tune

Fnord

It's not always above (sharp) or below (flat). It depends on whether the string is too tight (sharp/high) or too loose (flat/low).

R1CHO

Check the level of the Rocksmith recording device (on window's sound options), if it's at 17 or similar change it to 46 or something like that.

Fusebox

Banned

Hehe, there's a lot more inconvenience trying to get an FR to float true and in tune than it is trying to find the allen key for your locking nut.

Scarecrow

How exactly does importing RS1 tracks work in this game? Does RS2 come with a code? Or is it in the menu interface?

the precision tuner does not work for a lot of people (myself included). specifically the high e string

make sure you are in tune, strum it once, wait half a second and strum it again

the quick (non-precision) tuner works fine, and playing in the songs works fine after that

I bought the Les Paul Jr. bundle a little over a month ago and decided I wanted to try a lighter string. Just got done putting a set of Ernie Ball Super Slinkys on and holy shit was that an ordeal. Some of my winding looks a little sloppy but I managed to get it in tune and I definitely like the way it felt compared to the strings that it came with.

Fortunately I bought two packs because I totally botched the first one. I'll probably buy a handful more just to keep around in case of emergency.

elfinke

Your recording device level doesn't drop to 17 (seems to be a common value for this issue) when the game boots? Or it does drop, but with no issues when playing?

So I'm plenty late replying as I promised, but I checked this a few days ago and again today and neither time did my sound devices change their levels from 100%. I'm using USB headphones (rather than 3.5mm jacks and onboard sound), which may have something to do with it?

catabarez

So I'm plenty late replying as I promised, but I checked this a few days ago and again today and neither time did my sound devices change their levels from 100%. I'm using USB headphones (rather than 3.5mm jacks and onboard sound), which may have something to do with it?

He's talking about the guitar. Look under microphones.

zsidane

Those having trouble with replacing strings on their guitar: There's a video tutorial in both RS and RS2014. I used the one in the first RS and even if it looked complicated at first, it's really easy, and no need to take your guitar to someone to do it (unless you have a crazy set up guitar...)

maouvin

He's talking about the guitar. Look under microphones.

Indeed. Check your recording devices - there'll be a device listing for the Real Tone Cable. Check the values under the "level" tab before and during playing. This is the value that drops to 17 when the game loads.

mrbagdt

i bought rocksmith original so i could get the cable cheaply before i bought the 2014 version. i did a little work getting the audio to match the screen correctly - that latency corrector is nice and seemed to work well.

the only slight i have is that it seems like there is a slight input delay. i really have to play along with the song and not with what i am hearing my guitar do on the speakers. it always seems like i will strum and the soundbar wont pick up my guitar until a moment later, it is never instant. is this pretty much the norm?

Therion

i bought rocksmith original so i could get the cable cheaply before i bought the 2014 version. i did a little work getting the audio to match the screen correctly - that latency corrector is nice and seemed to work well.

the only slight i have is that it seems like there is a slight input delay. i really have to play along with the song and not with what i am hearing my guitar do on the speakers. it always seems like i will strum and the soundbar wont pick up my guitar until a moment later, it is never instant. is this pretty much the norm?

I'm not sure what system you are on, but the original Rocksmith had significant latency for me on PC. Now that I am on 2014, there is almost zero latency. I can still detect a slight delay, but it is no more than I have experienced in professional recording software and very easy to ignore. If you are on a console, I assume latency is also much improved but I don't know firsthand.

mrbagdt

That was my experience with the original on the XBox 360 through HDMI audio. Much better with analog audio.
Yeah, I'm using optical through my sound bar. From reading a bit it seems like that might be part of the cause. I'm trying to sort out in my head what's actually happening, haha.I guess the audio is slightly lagged going to speaker, so when I strum that lag is there for all audio? Is this most noticeable in video games or something? I guess doing that latency adjustment really has no effect on what I'm experiencing.
Ps3 btw

I guess doing that latency adjustment really has no effect on what I'm experiencing.

IIRC latency adjustment is for it to slow the action down on the screen to match the processing time, but that doesn't help your guitar— you're going to play it when it should be played, and then it will come out of the speakers after a delay, ruining it.

You don't notice it in other video games because it doesn't matter.

As an aside, this input monitoring latency is terrible in Windows (at least 7 and earlier) using the OS-provided frameworks, so kudos to the developers here for making Rocksmith on Windows work so well.

Played for the first time today since I have a guitar lesson later so here's my thoughts:

-You do NOT need analog audio! I played with the cheapest possible setup and the calibration seems fine.
-First time I played a song I fucked up a lot because I'm not used to the colors (yellow & orange look almost identical) and the string positions. I'm SO used to E on the bottom and e on the top like tabs (not to mention it's how I see the fretboard looking down). Can I flip the fretboard over? I chose right-handed mode.
-Learned My Generation and did pretty good as long as I either played different sections separately (I can't switch from the 6th string to the 2nd quickly enough at the beginning) or played at 70-80% speed.
-Played my very first bend and the lesson is REALLY picky when it wants you to end the sustained bend and play the note. I can bend it for 95% of the sustain, hit the note, and it still counts as a missed bend. You have to end the bend and immediately hit the note. What's the difference if sustains don't sound great on my cheap guitar?
-Switching from riff repeater to the full song is very awkward. Not only can't I go back to the beginning of a song after repeating a later riff, it often changes difficulties, progressive difficulty, and speed randomly.
-Speaking of difficulty, why is it in riff repeater that it doesn't show all the solo notes even at 100 difficulty? Example: the cords near the end of My Generation

I enjoyed playing the songs (in pieces) and doing the lessons but there's so many nitpicks.

Shurayuki

Well I can try a not-that-qualified response ;D

Played for the first time today since I have a guitar lesson later so here's my thoughts:

-First time I played a song I fucked up a lot because I'm not used to the colors (yellow & orange look almost identical) and the string positions. I'm SO used to E on the bottom and e on the top like tabs (not to mention it's how I see the fretboard looking down).

It's probably best to use the colorblind mode (check out the options as with the fretboard flipping), that option is mainly there because yellow and orange have been notoriously hard to tell apart even in the first game. May be a good idea even if you're not colorblind (or just don't know yet).

-Switching from riff repeater to the full song is very awkward. Not only can't I go back to the beginning of a song after repeating a later riff, it often changes difficulties, progressive difficulty, and speed randomly.

Hm? You can use the esc menu to restart the song from riff repeater if you want to start from the beginning.
Haven't noticed any parts of the song resetting themselves, at least not since one of the earlier patches (one phrase refused to stay at 100% but ever since like the first patch it's fixed for me). Phrases that play the same are linked so if you do good/bad on a part that is repeated later it may level up/down if that's enabled, is it that?

-Speaking of difficulty, why is it in riff repeater that it doesn't show all the solo notes even at 100 difficulty? Example: the cords near the end of My Generation

If you are talking about the empty bars that are about half the size of the chords boxes than that means you have to repeat the previous chord. (I think they did this so it's easier to parse than repeating the same chordbox which would obfuscate the ones behind it).
You will learn this visual language through the lessons but if you don't want to go through all of them before tackling songs you can look these things up in the esc menu too (I think it's called techniques?).

Any hints about next week's DLC?

Muse 5 Pack

Hysteria (2003) Tuning: E Standard
Time is Running Out (2003) Tuning: E Standard
Supermassive Black Hole (2006) Tuning: E Standard
Stockholm Syndrome (2003) Tuning: Drop D
Muscle Museum (1999) Tuning: E Standard

Katyusha

Muse 5 Pack

Hell yes. Hysteria will be awesome on bass.

Bedlam

Finished uni a couple of days ago and joined the Rocksmith club.

As a long-time GH/RB junkie and hobby guitarist, I absolutely love it. I can already see that this will be the game I'll spend the most with in the next couple of years. What a fantastic product (some nitpicks above are not wrong, but still ... I can't believe it works as well as it does). I only wish this game had been made ten years ago or so.

Is there some essential stuff to know? I'm not quite sure about the platform I will play it on yet and get the DLC for. I bought the PS3 version since I'm not sure whether my PC can handle it. But I'm somewhat concerned about not being able to install the game.

Xyber

Muse 5 Pack

Wait, this isn't right. We're not supposed to get Muse so fast!

The years of waiting for a single Muse DLC pack for Rock Band, those were the times!

Top Bottom