• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

Martal

Neo Member
Indeed sir, I've heard that Rocksmith is great and all but doesn't really teach you all the techniques you need. The great and much recommended Justin Sandercoe has said it on his website as well, where he created a sub-forum for Rocksmith players/users to ask them what they feel is missing so that he could compensate with videos from his end.

At the moment though, what I hope Rocksmith will do is add a bit of fun to the whole thing and, exactly like you said, maybe help break down this seemingly daunting task into smaller bits. That way I'll be motivated rather than discouraged to look up more information on the basics as well.

I already started looking at Justin's youtube channel. I used to look at the one where uploads songs all the time, but didn't find a song easy enough for me. Now I'm looking at finger exercises, scales, barre chords because, in the end, that A aint gonna change into a D minor barre on its own!

Shadybiz

^^

Definitely a good idea to track your progress, and it'll keep you motivated to keep going at it day after day.

The game does teach you many different techniques, but I guess the issue is that a lot of the time, if you're doing the techniques wrong, it won't really show you what you need to do to fix it. That's kind of up to you...you just have to look at what you're doing and break down what's going on. For instance, on some barre chords, the G string will be muted for me. You first have to know that it's being muted (because the game will many times register a barre chord as being played correctly, if you get "most" of it but not all), and then you have to deconstruct it. I found out from picking the individual notes that it was muted, and then found out that it was happening because the string was juuust up against the fat of my 3rd finger. From there, the solution was to push my wrist out in front of the neck, to get more height with the finger. Barre chords aren't really a technique, per se, but you get what I mean.

It's that kind of stuff that the game won't tell you how to do.

Use the hell out of the Riff Repeater. I learned recently that a great way to go is to go into the song you want to learn, activate Riff Repeater, turn the difficulty up to 100%, and turn the speed down to whatever makes you comfortable. I'll usually start with 25% speed, and go from there. That way, you know from the very beginning exactly what notes you'll have to play to play the song in its entirety. Since you've had some guitar experience already, you should be okay with this; not sure I'd recommend it to someone with 0 experience though.Also, you just use it to pick out a section of a song that you're having trouble with, and play it over and over and over and over until you get it right. It's been invaluable in my quest to learn the Muse songs.

Most importantly, have fun! It's probably the game that I've had the most play time with in the past year!

Hey guys, I've been dealing with some weird technical issues with RS. The game will tell me that my guitar volume is down too low when it's clearly not. I also tried the chord 203 exercise yesterday with the barre chords and the game wouldn't even let me clear the first exercise which was a straight barre across all 6 strings at the 5th fret. I can play barre chords cleanly, and I double checked my guitar tuning with a snark and I still had the issue. I also tried the legato exercise and the game will not register my double stop hammer and pulls even though I'm executing them perfectly. Needless to say, it's been pretty frustrating. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I'm pretty certain my guitar is properly intonated as well, but I'll double check that later

Shadybiz

^^^
Are you on PC? If so, go into your control panel, and turn the volume of the rocksmith "mic" up 35-40. That should do the trick. It defaults to 17 all the time for some reason.

No, I'm on PS4. The first thing I did was google the issue and all the hits were from Players in the steam community lol. I checked the options last night to see if there was a mic or gain option and the mic seemed to be set to 100. I was just curious whether the game was just super finicky about detection until I read one of the above posts that it tends to be lenient on even barre chords. When I play the guitar, it's clearly audible through my speakers so I don't know what's up

Shadybiz

Ah, I apologize then; I'm not sure. Only other thing I'd be able to suggest is maybe switching the selected pickup. I know my Ibanez tends to work a lot better on Rocksmith if I'm using the neck pickup (seems to be the case, anyway).

Therion

Hey guys, I've been dealing with some weird technical issues with RS. The game will tell me that my guitar volume is down too low when it's clearly not. I also tried the chord 203 exercise yesterday with the barre chords and the game wouldn't even let me clear the first exercise which was a straight barre across all 6 strings at the 5th fret. I can play barre chords cleanly, and I double checked my guitar tuning with a snark and I still had the issue. I also tried the legato exercise and the game will not register my double stop hammer and pulls even though I'm executing them perfectly. Needless to say, it's been pretty frustrating. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I'm pretty certain my guitar is properly intonated as well, but I'll double check that later
Try going through the initial calibration again. I think it's available through the tuner. It sounds like the game is having trouble recognizing your guitar in general, and lack of proper calibration would be the most likely culprit.

Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot. I have a second guitar but it's really heavy (Duesenberg Starplayer) so I wanted to use my Tele since it's much lighter. I did recently change my strings so perhaps that may have thrown the intonation off. I'll have to check it later on today. And I did go thru the calibration again just in case. Just to double check though, I'll try the Duesy and see if the game responds to it better

Xyber

This can be fixed by raising your pickups a little bit by turning on the screws at the top of them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omPTcEGvkd4#t=460

7:40 in that video if the timestamp doesn't work.

the game will tell me that my guitar volume is down too low when it's clearly not.

This is one of the symptoms I have along with the static and humm the real tone cable brings. Things I don't have issues with when I use my usual cables and my bass amp.

New game on PS4 here too. Do you feel like the plug sits thight on your guitar?

After finally getting some free time and a proper RS2014 PS4 session today...

Yeah, the lag is driving me batshit. Hitting 110% on Blitzkrieg Bop of all songs is impossible as the game just decides i'm not hitting powerchords that i'm definitely hitting. Can't push it above 95% (no problem maxing the song on PS3).

Don't even get me started of Starchords, it's completely unplayable now as I feel like I have to practically snap the strings to get basic chords to register.

I've played with the lag slider (how am I supposed to judge it with the bar/flashing dot thing? It seems the same wherever the slider is - wouldn't an interface involving the main game screen make more sense?). I'm running optical (linear PCM) through a stereo, no processing.

Any tips?

This can be fixed by raising your pickups a little bit by turning on the screws at the top of them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omPTcEGvkd4#t=460

7:40 in that video if the timestamp doesn't work.

Man, I don't think I'd screw with my guitar just for RS since it was professionally set up, and something like that could mess with the tone. I'll just try my backup and see if things aren't any different

This is one of the symptoms I have along with the static and humm the real tone cable brings. Things I don't have issues with when I use my usual cables and my bass amp.

New game on PS4 here too. Do you feel like the plug sits thight on your guitar?

Plug sits very tight on my guitar. I'm gonna mess around a bit and try running the audio to my receiver and see if anything changes.

After finally getting some free time and a proper RS2014 PS4 session today...

Yeah, the lag is driving me batshit. Hitting 110% on Blitzkrieg Bop of all songs is impossible as the game just decides i'm not hitting powerchords that i'm definitely hitting. Can't push it above 95% (no problem maxing the song on PS3).

Don't even get me started of Starchords, it's completely unplayable now as I feel like I have to practically snap the strings to get basic chords to register.

I've played with the lag slider (how am I supposed to judge it with the bar/flashing dot thing? It seems the same wherever the slider is - wouldn't an interface involving the main game screen make more sense?). I'm running optical (linear PCM) through a stereo, no processing.

Any tips?

Fuuuuu this post is demoralizing LOL. The lag/note detection has the same effect on me. I was watching a vid of some guy playing 9mm's Punishment the other day and just in awe of the game was registering everything when he was playing like a mile a minute, and here I am with the announcer dude continually saying, "LET'S TAKE THAT A LITTLE SLOWER" as I'm chugging away at like fuckin 60 BPM and seemingly nothing registers

Xyber

Man, I don't think I'd screw with my guitar just for RS since it was professionally set up, and something like that could mess with the tone. I'll just try my backup and see if things aren't any different

There's really no harm in trying it out. Just remember how much you raise it (put a little mark on the screw and count how many full rotations or something), that way you can easily get it back to how it was.

Okay just to update. I have now isolated my audio to optical to my receiver. Tried the Duesy. Everything is perfectly in tune and I even removed the high e string for the double stop hammer/pull lesson. IT WILL NOT REGISTER. I swear to god it's just a simple bar across the 5th fret on the G and B string hammering a bar to the 7th and then pullin off. The lesson gradually slows to like 60 BPM and still nothing. This is maddening

Edit: Strangely enough I go to the practice track and it registers everything :l

Okay just to update. I have now isolated my audio to optical to my receiver. Tried the Duesy. Everything is perfectly in tune and I even removed the high e string for the double stop hammer/pull lesson. IT WILL NOT REGISTER. I swear to god it's just a simple bar across the 5th fret on the G and B string hammering a bar to the 7th and then pullin off. The lesson gradually slows to like 60 BPM and still nothing. This is maddening

Edit: Strangely enough I go to the practice track and it registers everything :l
Try posting in the official Rocksmith forums. Maybe the Devs can help you out.

I may try that, but for now the practice tracks seem to work perfectly for whatever reason. Also, is there any way to view what chords a song uses? I'm trying to set up Riff repeater at 100% on some songs I'm unfamiliar with and every time a chord comes up I have to freeze the game to study it. This just doesn't seem very efficient at all

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

coming in late but this is what I did on pc
I went to the audio settings and set the real tone cable to 3.1db
then when it calibrates it asks to mute..i do..then says ok play it loud...I don't..I strum steady with medium/light pressure.. ..then mute again when it asks.. this fixed the "its too quiet"

it seems the calibration is looking for a low and high end range..but when it says play it loud people tend to pound the strings way harder then normal and it sets the range to be way to compressed so normal strumming doesn't register properly

I'm not sure that makes sense but it fixed the problem for me.

I found this helped me with things like double stops not registering and barr cordes in the lessons..you kinda need to play them really heavy.
as well I set music in the game to 80% and sound effects to 40%..this stopped a really bad bass popping sound I was getting from the sound effects sometimes.

Martal

Neo Member
Started playing this weekend. I suck so much it hurts. I'm glad though, I do feel it's teaching me some basics.

Nice to see another newcomer besides myself! I felt like I missed the boat on Rocksmith, but then again people are always getting into guitar.

coming in late but this is what I did on pc
I went to the audio settings and set the real tone cable to 3.1db
then when it calibrates it asks to mute..i do..then says ok play it loud...I don't..I strum steady with medium/light pressure.. ..then mute again when it asks.. this fixed the "its too quiet"

it seems the calibration is looking for a low and high end range..but when it says play it loud people tend to pound the strings way harder then normal and it sets the range to be way to compressed so normal strumming doesn't register properly

I'm not sure that makes sense but it fixed the problem for me.

I found this helped me with things like double stops not registering and barr cordes in the lessons..you kinda need to play them really heavy.
as well I set music in the game to 80% and sound effects to 40%..this stopped a really bad bass popping sound I was getting from the sound effects sometimes.

Man... that makes total sense, in regard to dynamic range. I really pound the strings when it says "MAKE SOME NOISE," as I assume that's what it's looking for in order to establish a baseline. I'll recalibrate and just play at normal volume and see if that helps any

SuperPac

Another beginner here. Been playing for about an hour a day. Took guitar lessons for a brief period 25+ years ago. I've always been interested in playing - dumped a ton of time into Guitar Hero and Rock Band. As those are no longer getting updated with new content, I took advantage of the holiday sales on RS2014 and a basic Epiphone guitar.

Hopefully I'll be able to stick with it this time - I'd really love to learn how to play for real.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
i've just stuck with the rhythm option..its mostly strumming and chord based..much easier for the most part...I play irregularly and will never be a shredder but I find the rhythm arrangements translate to acoustic campfire mode pretty well.

you can see the chords within the song..don't hit riff repeated hit options then i think its techniques..you can cycle between all cords..cords you've encountered in the song so far at that level and all chords in the song (from 100% difficulty)
its abit convoluted to find but its in there

Thanks. Every time I hit a new chord I just freeze up and have no idea what to do. Then I'll have to use riff repeater and freeze the moment the chord box comes up to study it which is incredibly tedious.

I just spent a few hours trying to learn Hendrix's Fire and my brain just feels fried right now. I wanna learn that and Purple Haze

I went to see my band members and give them a Christmas gift. We chatted for a bit and I was telling how much fun RS has been and how it has sparked me to practise more than ever (I am real lazy when it comes to playing bass alone at home - RS has really helped!) and they did not let me leave without me taking one of their spare guitars to try at home.

So, let's see if Rocksmith can make a guitar player from a bassist!

Xyber

Thanks. Every time I hit a new chord I just freeze up and have no idea what to do. Then I'll have to use riff repeater and freeze the moment the chord box comes up to study it which is incredibly tedious.

I just spent a few hours trying to learn Hendrix's Fire and my brain just feels fried right now. I wanna learn that and Purple Haze

It gets easier after a while. You learn what chord it is by the shape and you only really need to focus on where on the neck it should be played.

Dominator

Complete noob here, but got the PS4 version of this for $20 brand new off of a friend, and I now need a guitar. I have no idea what to look for but honestly, I'm just going for a beginner guitar for probably $150 or less if possible. No need to tell me what specifics to look for because I honestly have zero clue what anything means when it comes to guitars lol. All I know is I'm going to play Lead and in the future I'd like to play fast.

If anyone has any good ones that are sold online, I'd appreciate some links. Would be awesome, thanks.

Probably a Yamaha Pacifica. Although I have no idea what the Squiers are like these days. My first guitar was a Bullet Strat that came in one of those Strat packs at Guitar Center ten years ago. Boy did I hate that thing, crummily finished jumbo frets and wiry tone :L

Interestingly enough, Jack White was able to wrangle some pretty nasty tones out of a $99 plastic Montgomery Ward POS guitar so what do I know lol

Martal

Neo Member
I have a Fender Affinity which is one step up from Bullet but still really cheap. I have no point of reference since this is literally the first electric I've ever laid my hands on, but I think it's great lol

The only good guitar is the one that's played. Better to have a cheap ass guitar that you actually cut your teeth on than buy a dream axe that just sits there day after day, month after month as the years pile on. :l god if I could go back in time and actually apply myself, I'd probably be some guru be now :l

Although looking around, it seems like now is the best time to get into guitars as even American made is quite affordable between the custom Squiers and Fender Blacktops at $400

spanna

Count another mega noob in as well. Picked up RS2014 for 10 quid on steam.
Got a second hand Ibanez grx70 for 40 quid and am just waiting to get the realtone cable for 10 quid on sunday. Very pleased with getting started on RS for only 60 quid.
I'm not expecting to be able to even play a section of a song for months but I am looking forward to the learning journey :)

ShamePain

Banned
Wow, decided last night to try out Nonstop Play and I love it. Got 4 90 minute sessions today, so basically 6 hour practice. I love how there's no mocking around the menus once you started, just bam bam bam, song after song, you go through about 20 songs in a session and it's really great, basically emulating a gig or something. I feel like I've improved a ton today compared to my normal Learn a Song routine of going through a song, riff repeat some sections, then look through songs and go nah don't feel like it and turn the game off. I'll try to stick to this schedule from now on and suggest some of you guys try it. You get really into it and I've basically played through every session without pausing or being distracted.

Thrakier

Wow, decided last night to try out Nonstop Play and I love it. Got 4 90 minute sessions today, so basically 6 hour practice. I love how there's no mocking around the menus once you started, just bam bam bam, song after song, you go through about 20 songs in a session and it's really great, basically emulating a gig or something. I feel like I've improved a ton today compared to my normal Learn a Song routine of going through a song, riff repeat some sections, then look through songs and go nah don't feel like it and turn the game off. I'll try to stick to this schedule from now on and suggest some of you guys try it. You get really into it and I've basically played through every session without pausing or being distracted.

Not wanna poop on your party but it makes a lot of sense to practice like you normally do it. I don't see much sense in just playing one song after another, if you just want to learn. Practicing is something different from playing a gig.

Anyway, I think Rocksmith is a great song learning tool, but you won't learn the intstrument with it. It should be additional, then again, I think that comes without saying.

ShamePain

Banned
Not wanna poop on your party but it makes a lot of sense to practice like you normally do it. I don't see much sense in just playing one song after another, if you just want to learn. Practicing is something different from playing a gig.

Anyway, I think Rocksmith is a great song learning tool, but you won't learn the intstrument with it. It should be additional, then again, I think that comes without saying.

The thing is after doing sections of a single song in riff repeater, it kinda feels daunting starting learning another one. So with the normal routine I can do maybe an hour of practice and good deal of that time is spent in menus. So that's less than an hour of actual play and maybe a couple of songs. Now with Nonstop Play it's 6 hours of practice and 80 songs. Basically I play a 90 minute session, take a half hour break and then get back into it. The thing I've found is that a majority of songs have similar flow, chords and general structure. They sound different, but when you play it you see an approaching chord and fingers kind of fall into place naturally and you can predict where they will go next without even thinking much about it. You start to notice patterns in how music is constructed, how notes follow each other. Then of course the autolevelling in on and the songs get harder every time you play it. I've tried the 100% difficulty reduced speed method and it didn't work so well in terms of my motivation to play for long periods of time. Obviously this is all just my opinion, the method works for me, may not work for someone else. Keep on rocking' good fellas.

Thrakier

The thing is after doing sections of a single song in riff repeater, it kinda feels daunting starting learning another one. So with the normal routine I can do maybe an hour of practice and good deal of that time is spent in menus. So that's less than an hour of actual play and maybe a couple of songs. Now with Nonstop Play it's 6 hours of practice and 80 songs. Basically I play a 90 minute session, take a half hour break and then get back into it. The thing I've found is that a majority of songs have similar flow, chords and general structure. They sound different, but when you play it you see an approaching chord and fingers kind of fall into place naturally and you can predict where they will go next without even thinking much about it. You start to notice patterns in how music is constructed, how notes follow each other. Then of course the autolevelling in on and the songs get harder every time you play it. I've tried the 100% difficulty reduced speed method and it didn't work so well in terms of my motivation to play for long periods of time. Obviously this is all just my opinion, the method works for me, may not work for someone else. Keep on rocking' good fellas.

If you really want to get good with the instrument, you won't get around of playing outside of Rocksmith, doing drills and perfecting/practicing individual parts of riffs. I'm playing for two years now, maybe 15% of the time was spent with Rocksmith. I'm using it as a tool to learn songs, at least their tabs are correct, and then I try to play the riffs and songs outside of rocksmith. That helps a lot.

It's also not solely about how much time you spent practicing, but rather how effective you are in your time. There is dimnishing returns for everything.

TheMan

the game has started to consistently freeze at the title screen. Rebooting is not helping. Does this have to do with PSN being offline?

Martal

Neo Member
It's been a week and it's time to post my first week's worth of progress in Rocksmith!

I haven't booted up Rocksmith ...

Its not my fault though! The cable didn't arrive so I've been completely locked out. That doesn't mean I haven't been playing though. To substitute the fun part of Rocksmith I've been learning riffs to some famous songs. I have the openings for "Pretty woman" and "Daytripper" down pretty well. I also had a look at the solo from "What I got" which I think I'm pretty OK at as well. Other than that I've been doing finger exercises I found on Justin Sandercoes youtube channel and other various exercises for learning barre chords. Those are tough, the 3rd string is soo hard to get to ring out. If anyone has any tips, I'd love them.

I hope I will get the cable this upcoming week and then I'll start reporting my progress in actual songs. While I wait, any recommendations for easy songs in Rocksmith 2014? I especially like song with good fingerstyle sections. I heard "R u mine" is pretty good. I had a look at that on youtube, but it looks like the tutorials online can't agree on a tab.

Thrakier

It's been a week and it's time to post my first week's worth of progress in Rocksmith!

I haven't booted up Rocksmith ...

Its not my fault though! The cable didn't arrive so I've been completely locked out. That doesn't mean I haven't been playing though. To substitute the fun part of Rocksmith I've been learning riffs to some famous songs. I have the openings for "Pretty woman" and "Daytripper" down pretty well. I also had a look at the solo from "What I got" which I think I'm pretty OK at as well. Other than that I've been doing finger exercises I found on Justin Sandercoes youtube channel and other various exercises for learning barre chords. Those are tough, the 3rd string is soo hard to get to ring out. If anyone has any tips, I'd love them.

I hope I will get the cable this upcoming week and then I'll start reporting my progress in actual songs. While I wait, any recommendations for easy songs in Rocksmith 2014? I especially like song with good fingerstyle sections. I heard "R u mine" is pretty good. I had a look at that on youtube, but it looks like the tutorials online can't agree on a tab.

R U mine is probably good for beginner. It's no fingerstyle though and there are no fingerstyle songs in Rocksmith as far as I know.

Shadybiz

Good on you for starting practice before getting the cable; much to be learned outside of Rocksmith.

R U Mine is definitely a good one to learn. Not too hard, and it's a cool song, too.

You might check out some of the Muse songs. They will definitely work your hand up and down the neck, and there are frequent changes for which you'll need to master the timing. I really dig "Unnatural Selection" and "Knights of Cydonia."

As far as the barres, I know my problem was that the 3rd string was hitting the fat of my 3rd finger. My fix was to push out my fretting wrist so it was right below (or slightly farther out from) the neck. This gave the finger the clearance that it needed. It could be a couple things...just pluck the note and try to "feel" where it's going wrong.

Of course, it could be that your "action" is a bit too high as well. I know mine is a bit high, which I'm planning to fix soon. That means that the strings come up higher off the fretboard than they need to, which makes it harder to get the strings down in place.

Martal

Neo Member
R U mine is probably good for beginner. It's no fingerstyle though and there are no fingerstyle songs in Rocksmith as far as I know.

Thanks guys. About the fingerstyle thing, it might be my bad wording of it. I just meant songs where you'd have to finger pick a lot, like the intro to "Nothing else matters" and that sort of thing.

And it can definitely be the action on my guitar. Its brand spanking new, but still its quite a cheap model, the Fender Affinity. Had a look and getting it adjusted is about 80 euros here so thats gonna have to wait a bit, lol.

Jesussssss 80 euros to set up a guitar?! Why not do it yourself? There are a lot of videos on the topic on youtube. If you'e got a couple of hours to kill then why not give a shot. It won't be perfect or anything, but you should be able to at least lower your strings and get a proper intonation going with some tenacity. I'd recommend learning some of that stuff right off the bat. Stuff like changing your strings, adjusting action, tuning by ear, just minor stuff on a cheapie guitar so by the time you're ready to step up to something better, you can at least perform some maintenance on your own.

Martal

Neo Member
Yeah I'm thinking about. I know how to change strings on an acoustic, but looking at this electric ... I would have no idea where to start. I should probably crack on with youtube videos. I might give it a bit more time though, wait until I need to change strings as well.

Oh yeah lol. If they're fresh don't bother with changing them just yet. Do look into adjusting the set up though. It'll just help make RS even better. I remember when I first got my Strat in the Strat pack, the action was hilariously high. I really struggled with everything as a result. Granted, the bullet Strats are real cheap guitars so I can't imagine Fender spending much time on the fit, finish, and adjustment.

I don't know whether they've made any improvements to the lower end of their lines as I haven't walked into an instrument store in years now. The strings should be relatively low without any buzzing when you fret up and down the neck. RS also seems to be really finicky about intonation as well, so if you've got a tuner I'd check to see whether the 12th fretted string matches the harmonic at the 12th fret

Thrakier

Thanks guys. About the fingerstyle thing, it might be my bad wording of it. I just meant songs where you'd have to finger pick a lot, like the intro to "Nothing else matters" and that sort of thing.

And it can definitely be the action on my guitar. Its brand spanking new, but still its quite a cheap model, the Fender Affinity. Had a look and getting it adjusted is about 80 euros here so thats gonna have to wait a bit, lol.

Fingerpicking means you are playing with your fingers instead of a plek. Which you normally don't do in Rocksmith, certainly not on R U Mine.

Martal

Neo Member
This might be because I'm used to having the acoustic but to be honest, I rarely pick up the pick and just use my fingers most of the time. It's something I'm more used and it's hard practicing licks and knowing that your picking is letting you down. So I mostly ditch the pick. I should practice using it more ...

Thrakier

This might be because I'm used to having the acoustic but to be honest, I rarely pick up the pick and just use my fingers most of the time. It's something I'm more used and it's hard practicing licks and knowing that your picking is letting you down. So I mostly ditch the pick. I should practice using it more ...

The sound is very different.

Top Bottom