• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

Xyber

It's been a while since I last played, so last night I just noticed that my digital version of Rocksmith upgraded to the remastered version. Didn't think that would happen.

There's some nice improvements, but if they hadn't just made it an update for the existing game people would've raged. :p

Lady Gaia

Just in case there are others in my situation: I spend time with Rocksmith more days than not, but I purchased the physical copy in order to get the required cable. Unfortunately when I'm playing something else that requires a disc it means lots of swapping back and forth. Rocksmith really is the perfect title to go digital with, but I didn't feel like paying a premium for the privilege.

Today Sony's PSN Flash Sale includes Rocksmith 2014 Remastered for PS4 for just under $15. Combined with the one-time code they offered everyone this week cutting 10% off everything in your cart it's just over $13 which seems like a reasonable convenience fee.

FinKL

Hey guys, looking to get a cheap guitar and was looking at a Monoprice electric one. My question is why not spend $30 more to get an acoustic/electric one instead of just an electric one? Is there a reason one would want just a pure acoustic or electric vs this acoustic/electric?

8bitogre

Banned
Hey guys, looking to get a cheap guitar and was looking at a Monoprice electric one. My question is why not spend $30 more to get an acoustic/electric one instead of just an electric one? Is there a reason one would want just a pure acoustic or electric vs this acoustic/electric?

Two different sounds and two different types of guitars. Rocksmith is better suited to a straight up electric guitar - acoustic electrics are typically used for gigging in places where it's not possible to properly mic an acoustic guitar and you need to plug it in.

For Rocksmith purposes, I'd go regular electric all the way.

In addition, don't buy the Monoprice guitar. Should you enjoy playing, it will just end up being a quick waste of money as you replace it with another better "beginner" guitar in 6 months.

Spend the extra few dollars and get something half decent, even if it's used off of a site like Craigslist or from a 2nd hand shop.

The Epiphone LP Special II is a great beginners guitar and can typically be found between $100-$150.

Lady Gaia

In addition, don't buy the Monoprice guitar. Should you enjoy playing, it will just end up being a quick waste of money as you replace it with another better "beginner" guitar in 6 months.

I'll echo the sentiment that you'll get a lot more out of Rocksmith and learning any instrument if you start on something that's not completely awful. Rocksmith in particular is quite sensitive not just to tuning, but also to intonation. A guitar that cannot be adjusted well enough will just lead to frustration, so make sure someone else has had a positive Rocksmith experience with the guitar you have in mind before making a purchase.

8bitogre

Banned
I'll echo the sentiment that you'll get a lot more out of Rocksmith and learning any instrument if you start on something that's not completely awful. Rocksmith in particular is quite sensitive not just to tuning, but also to intonation. A guitar that cannot be adjusted well enough will just lead to frustration, so make sure someone else has had a positive Rocksmith experience with the guitar you have in mind before making a purchase.

100% right. Even on my mid-level guitar the intonation isn't perfect so when I tune down too far it gets all fucked up and I have to start either light touching the strings or smashing them down and hope they get registered.

FinKL

Two different sounds and two different types of guitars. Rocksmith is better suited to a straight up electric guitar - acoustic electrics are typically used for gigging in places where it's not possible to properly mic an acoustic guitar and you need to plug it in.

For Rocksmith purposes, I'd go regular electric all the way.

Spend the extra few dollars and get something half decent, even if it's used off of a site like Craigslist or from a 2nd hand shop.

The Epiphone LP Special II is a great beginners guitar and can typically be found between $100-$150.
Thanks for the heads up, will keep an eye out for a quality electric guitar

Third Eye Blind Song Pack – $9.99

* Third Eye Blind “How’s It Going To Be”
* Third Eye Blind “Jumper”
* Third Eye Blind “Never Let You Go”
* Third Eye Blind “Semi-Charmed Life”

*All arrangements in E Standard*

Right folks, it's December. Usually this means some quality DLC is on the way - two years ago got us Hendrix and Rage. Last year was less exciting overall, but I enjoyed the Black Keys 2 pack and adored the long-awaited STP selection.

Personally, I'm expecting either Elvis or Marley to get a pack purely from their Remastered pack inclusion. Not stoked about either, but they would both be big 'gets'.

What about you guys? What are you expecting in the Rocksmith stocking this year?

Metallica.

Unfortunately...

When they got Hendrix, they shouted it from the rooftops weeks in advance. I would expect the same from Metallica, because they know it would be the kind of pack to bring new customers in, as opposed to the current weekly DLC puzzles they do on their forum.

See also: Led Zep, G n' R & AC/DC.

I live in hope G n' R is on the cards now Slash and Axl are together again, but we'll see.

EDIT: Who is Fall of Troy? They could be a pack/track next week.

ufXyPJe.png

Hmm. Creedence/Proud Mary? It's only Bayou in the game, right?

Xmas sneer made me think Twisted Sister for some reason. And a quick google shows they had a xmas album out ten years ago. EDIT: So did Billy Idol, the king of sneer. I reckon a holiday mixed pack is on the horizon.

Jealousy? That could be a number of things.

Hoiday sneer is probably Elvis. The green has gotta be Green Day.

Good point.

I used to love green day back in the day, not a huge fan if their recent output though. I taught myself When I Come Around back then, so would be happy to buy that if the chance comes up.

I think you're probably right about Elvis, never been a fan but I realise his fan base is pretty astronomical.

8bitogre

Banned
Good point.

I used to love green day back in the day, not a huge fan if their recent output though. I taught myself When I Come Around back then, so would be happy to buy that if the chance comes up.

I think you're probably right about Elvis, never been a fan but I realise his fan base is pretty astronomical.

Same boat. I'm not really excited to play any of the recently announced/teased stuff unless something phenomenal ends up on the variety pack. I'm pretty sure the Fall of Troy song was their big reveal for it though.

Variety Pack VI – $9.99

Brian Setzer “Stray Cat Strut”
David Bowie “Suffragette City”
The Fall of Troy “F.C.P.R.E.M.I.X.”
Gin Blossoms “Hey Jealousy”

*All arrangements in E Standard*

In for Bowie!

Not fussed about the rest, Gin Blossoms is a blast from the past.

I think we're due a full Bowie pack instead of these little cock teases.

Not quite my tempo

Search & Destroy is doing it for me at the moment, we need that full Iggy and/or Stooges pack. Raw Power has found its way back into rotation and into my car.

Indifferent about CCR, hoping we get something really exciting before the year is out (I have a sneaking suspicion we won't).

Search & Destroy is doing it for me at the moment, we need that full Iggy and/or Stooges pack. Raw Power has found its way back into rotation and into my car.

Indifferent about CCR, hoping we get something really exciting before the year is out (I have a sneaking suspicion we won't).

More Stooges would be awesome. I really want Rocksmith to make my dream come true.... The Smiths

Creedence Clearwater Revival Song Pack- $7.99

* Creedence Clearwater Revival “Bad Moon Rising” - D Standard [Lead]
* Creedence Clearwater Revival “Fortunate Son” - D Standard [Lead]
* Creedence Clearwater Revival “Proud Mary” - D Standard [Lead]

What was added/changed in the December 13 patch?
We added a few new features (including one big one!) and improved a few others based on user feedback. The latest patch includes:

Microphone Mode
If you don’t have an electric guitar or simply want to use an acoustic to play Rocksmith, now you can! Use a USB microphone as your input device, point it at your acoustic guitar or bass, and enjoy strumming and picking in Rocksmith without a Real Tone Cable. (We still recommend using the Real Tone Cable for best results and the most direct/cleanest signal input for any guitars with pickups.)

Disconnected Mode
Want to just play along without plugging in? You got it. You no longer have to have a Real Tone Cable plugged in to play along with Rocksmith – note detection is deactivated, and you can just read the notes on the screen for more casual practice sessions.

Endless Replay Mode in Guitarcade
Guitarcade fans asked for less downtime between games -- request granted! Instead of kicking you back to the menu after each round, you can now immediately restart your next run.

We’ve also tweaked a few other key elements, thanks to the feedback we’ve received from players:
- You can now edit your Song Lists from the Learn a Song menu as well as the Nonstop Play menu
- Rocksmith can now hear your guitar better during Calibration
- Added ability to choose Other Arrangements in Score Attack
- Added the ability to replay the “Welcome to Rocksmith” introductory lesson

Does Microphone Mode work the same as if I were using a Real Tone Cable?
Yes – all your songs are available, dynamic difficulty adjusts to your skill level, Emulated Bass mode is available to you – it’s the Rocksmith experience you know and hopefully love. The only audible difference: Your guitar signal will not be processed through Rocksmith 2014’s Authentic Tones when you’re in Microphone Mode. You won’t hear stompbox effects, but you will be scored normally when playing songs.

Will any acoustic guitar work with Microphone Mode?
Any normal six-string should – we tested this mode with a variety of shapes, sizes, and styles of acoustic guitars. Specialty acoustics like 12-strings or baritone instruments still aren’t recommended, but a standard six-string acoustic should be fine.

What kind of microphone do I need?
Any dedicated USB microphone that your machine recognizes should work fine. (We do not recommend using a microphone that is part of another device, like a webcam or chat headset.) Not all USB microphones are supported by all gaming platforms. If in doubt, please contact the microphone’s manufacturer.

Any tips for best results with Microphone Mode?
You bet:
• Be sure you have a working, dedicated USB microphone plugged into your computer or console. Sounds simple, but it’s worth checking.
• Recalibrate any time your set up or environmental conditions change. Notes above the 15th fret may not be accessible on some acoustic guitars.
• Minimize background noise as much as you can. If the background noise is too loud, Rocksmith won’t be able to distinguish your guitar from everything else.
• Different microphones have different ranges of sensitivity, so you’ll need to make sure you’re close enough for it to hear you. If you’re having trouble with note detection, trying adjusting the angle and distance of the microphone itself.
• Be sure the microphone is pointing the right direction. Some microphones are designed to pick up sound from any direction while others can only pick up sound from one particular direction.

Lady Gaia

Good to see they've fixed the pop/click issue that makes the PS4 version unplayable until reboo... bawahahahahaha. My sides.

Oh no. Have you actually confirmed that this is still as broken as ever? Or were you just commenting that there's nothing about a specific fix in the release notes?

I am really looking forward to trying the game out in microphone mode. I play bass with Rocksmith a lot but somehow I haven't gotten as comfortable learning guitar with the game. If I could just pick up my beloved acoustic that might help get things moving in the right direction. It's a 21-year old Breedlove hand-made made by the founders of the company and it's an absolute dream to play. It just doesn't have pickups and I don't think I could bring myself to have them retrofitted.

Piccoro

Well, I've been holding off buying the game because the input on my electric guitar is broken.
But I think I'm gonna get it now, after today's update.

I'm a guitar noob. Do you guys think it's a good idea that I start playing this with an acoustic guitar?

Lady Gaia

I just gave Microphone Mode a quick try using a Rock Band microphone that's already connected. The output simply wasn't hot enough to work reliably, which the calibration warned me about. I suspect the mic doesn't have the most amazing frequency response curve, but I'll try it on a microphone stand before trying to set up a more respectable microphone with a USB interface. It was, however,, enough to make me think it could be a tool to incentivize practice. Even Disconnected Mode looks useful in that regard.

On a less positive note, the damn crackling input issues really are still present with this patch. Not only that, but they affect Microphone Mode as well. Bleah. Do they have no idea what the issue is, or are they just willfully ignorant of the fact that it exists? Either way, it's incredibly irritating.

I just gave Microphone Mode a quick try using a Rock Band microphone that's already connected. The output simply wasn't hot enough to work reliably, which the calibration warned me about. I suspect the mic doesn't have the most amazing frequency response curve, but I'll try it on a microphone stand before trying to set up a more respectable microphone with a USB interface. It was, however,, enough to make me think it could be a tool to incentivize practice. Even Disconnected Mode looks useful in that regard.

On a less positive note, the damn crackling input issues really are still present with this patch. Not only that, but they affect Microphone Mode as well. Bleah. Do they have no idea what the issue is, or are they just willfully ignorant of the fact that it exists? Either way, it's incredibly irritating.

Both. They obviously have no idea how to fix it, so their answer is to not even acknowledge it exists in the first place.

Ridiculous that it's an issue with the new microphone mode (I can't test that, I only have XLR mics in the house and nothing with a USB connection unfortunately).

I'll take anything Insomniac or before. The rest of their catalog can fuck off.

Great minds think alike and have David Lynch-related avatars.

EDIT:

Confirmed, including the Ghosts/Inferno non-approved Good Riddance (Time of Your Life), AKA "the one where they turned shit and never looked back".

Five pack though, so When I Come Around please.

Xyber

Well this is just great. After the new patch the game refuses to recognize my realtone cable. Just says it's not plugged in, even though it shows up fine in Windows and works fine there.. =/

Edit: Saw that there is a lot more people who are experiencing this. Hope there will be a fix soon, since there doesn't seem to be any fix you can do now that helps for everyone. One guy got it working by deleting the ini-file, but that didn't work for most people.

Edit 2: Disabling other recording devices made the game finally pick up the realtone cable sound.

Top Bottom