• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

Lady Gaia

I'm extremely happy that Remastered exists. There are a lot of nice touches that refine an already great experience.

... but honestly, Ubisoft. How could you not get your act together to fix the most glaring bug in the PS4 version? I still get a constant steam of audio dropouts if i don't restart the PS4 before playing Rocksmith. All it takes is a few days of playing something else with rest mode used in between and it starts acting up again. Every. Single. Time.

jumper

This Remastered update has been such a nice surprise. I was looking forward to it after reading about the improvements, but after checking it out for a while yesterday (on 360), I'm realizing some of the best improvements were hardly advertised (if at all).

First off, the Song Lists are major. I used to use Favorites to filter out songs, which was cumbersome. I only wonder why they require you have to select Non-Stop play to edit the lists. I imagine some people (who rarely use Non-Stop play) will have a hard time figuring out how to edit lists.

Second, being able to see whether a song has an alternate arrangement is such an obvious change. It was always strange how every song had 'Alternate arrangements' listed, only to find it had none when you selected it. It caused me to stop checking for alternate arrangements before.

But probably the best improvement is one I wasn't aware of until yesterday. In Riff Repeater, I can now pause and rewind/forward within a section, dynamically changing the speed of the play/rewind as I see fit. Before, if I had trouble remembering the notes in a certain part of a section, I would slow it down and let it loop, which sometimes became tedious if I didn't quite get it and needed to let it keep looping.

Finally, I really like that they added stats. I think they can do even more here, but it's nice to be able to track overall play time and accuracy.

I was reading some comments (in Rocksmith's facebook page) that people were having issues with songs missing or something like that. I thought for a second I had the same issue, because I sorted by date, and didn't see the latest DLC that I got, but then realized I didn't have 'All Songs' listed, but rather 'Song List 1', which was a limited set. I wonder if some people might have a song list selected and not realize it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I guess the update breaks the Customforge support, right? I just discovered it and it's been mindblowing.

I'm extremely happy that Remastered exists. There are a lot of nice touches that refine an already great experience.

... but honestly, Ubisoft. How could you not get your act together to fix the most glaring bug in the PS4 version? I still get a constant steam of audio dropouts if i don't restart the PS4 before playing Rocksmith. All it takes is a few days of playing something else with rest mode used in between and it starts acting up again. Every. Single. Time.

Ugggghhh. I've downloaded the update but I haven't had the chance to try it out yet. This is really, really disappointing. It should have also been a priority fix - who cares about sorting options if it doesn't even work properly?

No clue for next weeks DLC yet.

XShagrath

Well, there was a Shinedown pack early on, and Skynyrd's Simple Man is already available. Probably just a few tweaks to an existing chart. Easy money!

Well, there was a Shinedown pack early on, and Skynyrd's Simple Man is already available. Probably just a few tweaks to an existing chart. Easy money!

Didn't they do this with Holy Diver as well? It's a bit lame to put covers in when the original is already in the game (and in all likelihood the best version).

Any ideas what else is in the pack yet?

Next in the 2000's pack, one for all of you mid noughties chart shlock fans out there - The Fray's 'How to Save a Life'.

No idea what the final track is yet.

EDIT - Somehow missed Toy announcing this earlier. Sorry. I had a heavy weekend, please forgive me.

EDIT 2: Anyone heard of 'crossfade?' I haven't. but they're the last DLC. Wallet is very safe this week.

2000s Mix II Pack - $7.99

* Crossfade "Cold" - Drop D / D Standard [Bass]
* The Fray "How To Save A Life" - Capo Required [Rhythm]
* Shinedown "Simple Man"

not going to lie the Crossfade song sounds fun...

Xyber

I really don't like how they made the keymapping for changing the selection in riff repeater even worse with this remaster if you don't have a standard US keyboard..

It was okay in the original release, I think you used 9, 0, O and P on my Swedish keyboard. While the keys themselves didn't make much sense, the placement was still good.

Now though? This fucking shit.
ftlwHP5.png

I get that they wanted to use the bracket keys on the US layout, but it doesn't make any sense at all on keyboards that lack those keys. Should've just gone with some standard keys like Q,E, A and D or something.

And I know you can use the arrow keys now, but it's more cumbersome to me.

You can also just use the mouse to drag the selection.

I'm a little upset they stuck Master Mode into a sub menu on the Riff Repeater. And even when I turn it off, it only seems to be off in riff repeater mode. Some songs I want to turn it off and just play the song normally

You can also just use the mouse to drag the selection.

I'm a little upset they stuck Master Mode into a sub menu on the Riff Repeater. And even when I turn it off, it only seems to be off in riff repeater mode. Some songs I want to turn it off and just play the song normally

Apparently you have to confirm everything you change

some select DLC is on sale (30% off) on Xbox One/Xbox 360 this week (11-17) Check out Majornelson.com for more details

I'm sure this will come to PS4 as wel... baaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha.

They had a DLC and Ubi sale running at the same time and even the main game didn't get a discount....

Edit - there seems to be a minor RS DLC sale on PSN EU, however the only track showing at my end seems to be Eye of the Tiger, and only the PS4 version so 'F' you is you have a PS3 as well and you want the DLC library to span both consoles. Ugh.

Edit, roll up EU PS4 playas! A really lame sale has finally arrived! I've located the following sale items. I'm sure there's more but if I've purchased tracks they won't show up on my console as a sale item.

(Individual songs £1.69 each)

Survivor - Eye of the Tiger
SOAD - BYOB
Green Day - American Idiot
Disturbed - Down with the Sickness
Aerosmith - Dream On
Lumineers - Ho Hey
Dio - Holy Diver
Linkin Park - In the End
Kiss - I Was Made for Lovin’ You
Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast
Linkin Park - Numb
White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
Sum 41 - Still Waiting
Oasis - Wonderwall
Cranberries - Zombie
Bachsmith II (£3.34)
Disturbed Pack £4.34
Green Day Pack £4.34
Slash Pack £4.34
System of a Down Pack £4.34
Tenacious D Pack £4.34
The Doors Pack £4.34
Bon Jovi Pack £6.35
Foo Fighter Pack (I) £6.35
Iron Maiden Pack £6.35
Muse Pack £6.35
Oasis Pack £6.35
Rise Against Pack £6.35
Sum 41 Pack £6.35
The Who Pack £6.35
Volbeat Pack £6.35
Linkin Park Pack £7.49
RATM (Complete pack) £8.70

What a tightarse sale! Not even an extra Plus discount.

Sales on licensed content like this are usually quite lackluster, I think it's because of the licenses themselves. If you own all the rights you can do whatever you want with the price, but since that's not the case....

Speaking of that Xbox DLC sale.

So I plan to get an electric guitar and learn with sometime in the next few years. Possibly next summer or in 2018.

I have the physical PS3 bundle of the original game with cables and spent $10 and got 2014 for PS3 on PSN as well.

Anyway the same day I opened the first 360 I ever bought (took me 11 years to get one) I ordered an original model 1TB Xbox One for $200. I actually don't have any interest in playing games but the price and ability to use kinetic without an adapter swayed me.

As I prefer multiplatforms on Playstation I was still planning to play Rocksmith of PS3 and then move over to PS4 considering the DLC is shared.

I won't get a PS4 till holiday 2018 at the earliest.

Actual Questions:

Is the difference between gens great enough to go with Xbox One over PS3 even though I want to play all multiplats on Playstation?

With this DLC sale I'm thinking of buy some on Xbox if that's the case.

How are sales on DLC between Xbox Live and PSN?

Thanks for any help.

XShagrath

If you're on PC, there are sales on almost all DLC (older than six months, I believe) at least three times a year (summer, autumn, and winter). It's not a taxing game at all, and I was able to play it without lag, even when my video card was broken and I was running the onboard GPU. Of course, I had to turn the resolution and other effects way down, but that didn't affect the gameplay.

Yes Pack – $11.99

* Yes “Heart of the Sunrise”
* Yes “I’ve Seen All Good People”
* Yes “Owner of a Lonely Heart”
* Yes “Roundabout”
* Yes “Starship Trooper”

*Tunings to be confirmed*

Lady Gaia

Can I just say "yes"? I've never been a huge fan of the band but I thoroughly enjoy playing each of these tracks in Rock Band and can't wait to dig in with a real instrument.

Rob Zombie would be great, it has some crazy bass riffs and some frantic guitar parts.

Hello stranger.

Apparently it's three solo tracks and one White Zombie track. Wish it was the other way around as I never liked his solo stuff much but hey ho.

I got to see white zombie in (I think) '95 and they were awesomeballs.

Ah that's not bad, still probably won't be able to find time to play Rocksmith though! It's not the most practical game to play with a 9 month old on the move >.<

Zombie Pack

Rob Zombie: Living Dead Girl
Rob Zombie: Dragula
Rob Zombie: Superbeast (sorry Bloodydrake!)
White Zombie: Black Sunshine (I'm disappointed with this, was really expecting something from Astro Creep).

for those interested in the tuning

Rob Zombie “Dragula” – D Drop C
Rob Zombie “Living Dead Girl” – Drop D
Rob Zombie “Superbeast” – Custom Tuning [Lead/Rhythm]
White Zombie “Black Sunshine”

XShagrath

Hmm.. don't think my guitar will play ball with that custom tuning.
All the more reason to buy a pitch shifter. It was an expensive purchase for me, but I've gotten so much mileage out of it by playing songs I would have passed on or not played often due to the hassle of tuning down so low and getting super floppy strings. Now it's just the turn of a dial and potentially dropping the low E down a half-step.

i've been thinking about trying this out for a long time, but i have zero experience with real instruments. I saw the 2014 ps4 version with a les paul on craigslist for $70. Is this a pretty good price? it comes with the game, cables, and the les paul guitar.

i've been thinking about trying this out for a long time, but i have zero experience with real instruments. I saw the 2014 ps4 version with a les paul on craigslist for $70. Is this a pretty good price? it comes with the game, cables, and the les paul guitar.

If it's legit, that's a great deal. RS is a great tool for learning and I pretty much learned how to competently play by starting with Rocksmith. Playing drums when I was a young kid came in use for internal rhythm but I had little to no knowledge of guitar besides finger position for a few chords (next to nothing) before getting the game. It requires quite a bit of dedication and can be very tough at first but stick with it. Playing is so much fun!

If it's legit, that's a great deal. RS is a great tool for learning and I pretty much learned how to competently play by starting with Rocksmith. Playing drums when I was a young kid came in use for internal rhythm but I had little to no knowledge of guitar besides finger position for a few chords (next to nothing) before getting the game. It requires quite a bit of dedication and can be very tough at first but stick with it. Playing is so much fun!

thanks inferno, i appreciate the info.

I might have to look into a decent pitch shifter pedal.

Next week:

Variety Pack V

Marcy's Playground - Sex and Candy
Iggy & the Stooges - Search and Destroy
Steel Panther - Eyes of a Panther
TBC

The Iggy track is delayed a week on EU PSN, and possibly US PSN and XBox as well.

XShagrath

I know there's a bunch out there. This is the one I have.

Digitech Whammy DT
This is a little overkill, but I wanted to have a pedal to use outside of the game as well. It can also shift the pitch up, which is kinda cool.

Digitech Pitch Shifter
This is basically the right side of my pedal, without the ability to shift up.

Some people on reddit have other pedals, but this is the only one I can vouch for. It does what it needs to do, and the game detects everything perfectly every time. I use studio monitor headphones, so I don't have any issues with the disconnect of actually hearing the guitar in standard tuning at all.

Jordsmula

Neo Member

Next week:

Variety Pack V

Marcy's Playground - Sex and Candy
Iggy & the Stooges - Search and Destroy
TBC
TBC

The Iggy track is delayed a week on EU PSN, and possibly US PSN and XBox as well.
Hmm, Search and Destroy is pretty good.

From Rocksmiths Facebook page

"Don’t be afraid to rock. Steel Panther has got the “Eyes of a Panther” in our new Variety Pack V this coming Tuesday!"

From Rocksmiths Facebook page

"Don&#8217;t be afraid to rock. Steel Panther has got the &#8220;Eyes of a Panther&#8221; in our new Variety Pack V this coming Tuesday!"

I approve this message.

A friend had a spare ticket to a Panther gig about three years ago. I'd never heard of them, gig was more hilarious comedy show than gig but they won me over. I guess this is one of their few songs with Rocksmith-acceptable lyrics?

Also, I'm enjoying the Rob Zombie pack much more than I ever expected. Burning through the witches and all that. My guitar even seems to be coping with the low tunings.

Top Bottom