• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith |OT| While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Fusebox

Banned
I asked that question a few pages back and got a good response:

Terrordactyl said:
Not to blow my own horn, but I'm decent. I've got maybe 5 events left I think, although the last few have been recycling songs. It's really easy to start obviously, my issue is that it takes too long to get sections maxed out in difficulty. The events I'm at now you need to hit between 90-95 percent to progress, I got 95 percent on Rebel Rebel and ended up 300 points shy of the req, so that can be kind of frustrating. It gets challenging enough though, the solos are the slowest to progress, I recommend it if you have no problems with the set and want yet another reason to play your guitar.

My copy has shipped from Amazon, I hope it arrives this week coz I've got a baby due in three weeks and I want to get as much shredding in as possible!

I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but there's a setting in the options to have songs start at the hardest difficulty and drop off if you can't handle it..

jgkspsx

Just got my first double encore. Pretty cool to play songs I've never heard before in the encores and do well enough. Rank 5 now. I'm definitely back to the best I've been at playing, and am possibly even improving.

Boy, the achievements for the minigames are challenging. If you score them you're in the upper tier of the leaderboards at this point.

DrBo42

Robobandit said:
I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but there's a setting in the options to have songs start at the hardest difficulty and drop off if you can't handle it..
Yeah saw that a while back. Too scared to flip that on, haha.

Robobandit said:

Are you sure that's what it is? I thought it just let you play at your highest achieved level, because you can drop down a phrase level.

DrBo42

jgkspsx said:
Just got my first double encore. Pretty cool to play songs I've never heard before in the encores and do well enough. Rank 5 now. I'm definitely back to the best I've been at playing, and am possibly even improving.

Boy, the achievements for the minigames are challenging. If you score them you're in the upper tier of the leaderboards at this point.
Just got to 5 as well. Definitely the best I've ever been at guitar. Biggest problem for me is that I tend to get lost in the 4th, 3rd, and 2nd strings.

Yeah the colors are kinda shitty I get blue and orange mixed up all the time. I think I'm about 3/4s of the way to rank 10, hopefully I'll get it tomorrow.

Terrordactyl said:
Even more flexible, it has Separate A/V options so you can run video through HDMI and audio through RCA, component or optical. You can definitely make it work.
Cool. Then I will pick it up. Thanks!

Shadybiz

Got to spend more time with this today. Rebel Rebel I found hard as hell, I guess because I don't use the bottom two strings that much.

Dawn of the Chordead is hilarious. I didn't know some of the chords that were on there, but I did pretty decently for awhile.

I am garbage at harmonics, partly because I don't really understand them, I guess.

Shadybiz said:
Ah, that does explain things a bit, thanks! Based on that, I think I may be pressing down on the string too much.
Yeah just let your finger barely touch the string, don't depress it, and pluck.

I've seriously been off work for over a month and I think I may cave in and get this, despite me mocking Ubisoft for months for wanting to release this.

Just going off of a friends review and others, they seem pretty damn positive all around and I was never truly good at Rock Band or Guitar Hero. I'm hoping the chances are good that it'll be on sale soon.

Onemic

For experienced/advanced guitar players out there: how do you play barre chords below the fifth fret without having the higher strings sound muffled? I've been playing dawn of the chorded like crazy and I can do the barre chords, but once I have to start barring the ninth fret it becomes extremely difficult to have all notes ring out clearly. No matter how hard I press down the B and G strings can never ring out clearly and always sound muffled.

Onemic

Square Triangle said:
Sounds like the action on your guitar is too high. Have you had it looked at yet?

Nope, although I definitely should, as I haven't had it looked at since I bought it from my neighbor. I always assumed the action was low enough though, as compared to the few other guitars I've used mine is definitely the lowest of the bunch.

Karish

So, reviews for this were not great.

Do you guys like it?!

Edit: I'd be using this to LEARN guitar. I don't know shit.

Onemic

Karish said:

Do you guys like it?!

It's only Joystiq and Kotaku that bashed them and you know how reputable those two sites are...(the kotaku review especially,is trash)

The metacritic avg for the game is an 82(ps3) and 78(360) so definately not negative.

And as a beginner myself, this game is amazing. One of the things that has kept me from playing guitar(or drums, heck musical instruments in general) is the lack of immediate gratification. You need to be practicing consistently and for a long ass time to even be able to play simpler type songs. Rocksmith provides immediate gratification through the progressive difficulty system, constantly adding more complex notes as you get better. The song list, is deceptively great. When I first looked at it I wasn't thrilled(with the exception of tracks that I never thought would make it a music game; Best Coast, Titus Andronicus, among others) but playing the songs is a completly different story, they're all a blast to play from start to finish with each song being stylistically different enough from each other that you feel like you're getting better simply from playing the guitar in so many different ways.(The Horrors song is a perfect example of this, love that tremolo!)

Not to mention there's the guitarcade which is a completly addicting(Dash runner, baseball, and dawn of the chorded especially) minigames that are pretty much the stuff you would normally do when practing, but are actually fun, so it doesn't feel like a chore at all.

If you are even remotely interested in learning to play I'd recommend this game in a heartbeat. It makes learning guitar fun something that I thought was impossible.(Which is why I stopped playing a year and a half ago) Since buying it, I've played it more than any other game of the fall(including BF3) and it's a heavy contender for my overall GOTY, awesome stuff.

Fusebox said:
I asked that question a few pages back and got a good response:

My copy has shipped from Amazon, I hope it arrives this week coz I've got a baby due in three weeks and I want to get as much shredding in as possible!
Congrats on the baby, I've got three little girls of my own. He or she will sleep right through the shred most of the time.

Shadybiz said:
Got to spend more time with this today. Rebel Rebel I found hard as hell, I guess because I don't use the bottom two strings that much.

Dawn of the Chordead is hilarious. I didn't know some of the chords that were on there, but I did pretty decently for awhile.

I am garbage at harmonics, partly because I don't really understand them, I guess.
A lot of the stuff similar to that is charted ridiculously, they could have come up with an easier way to read some stuff. look at the fingering and see if you can hold a chord and pick it out from there if your struggling. House of the rising sun is like this it's just arpegiated chords, but it looks a lot harder than it is. Definitely keep an eye on those fingerprint icons.

Onemic

archnemesis said:
I'm considering importing this as a Christmas gift. Is there enough content in it without any DLC?

50+ songs, plus arcade mode. If you're learning guitar it's more than enough and will keep you occupied for at least year. I really can't even see myself mastering all those songs within a year really.

jgkspsx

Bodysnatchers is my favorite song in the game so far. It's not too hard, has awesome lines in both guitar parts, and is fast enough to get riled up. Highly recommended even for non-Radiohead fans.

Karish said:

Do you guys like it?!

I'm not using it to learn but, more to get back into guitar and I think it's great. So good in fact that it's the only game I plan on buying on PS3 for the remainder of the year.

Also, if you look at most user scores they are around 9.

jas0

Neo Member
I'm a beginning guitar player and I'm enjoying this game a lot. I just reached level 2. Interesting to pluck on all these riffs, especially (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction.

The minigames are awesome. I look forward to learning more chords through Dawn of the Chordead. Ducks and Super Slider make the mundane addicting. I hope to play everyday. The callouses are forming on my fingers.

Learning the fret numbers helps me play Rock Band 3 Easy Pro Guitar. I believe it will all translate back and forth between the games as I learn more through Rocksmith giving me motivation.

The two methods of detection are interesting too. Rocksmith detects the sound/pitch, so there's a certain leeway on how the notes sound when you play and how the game scores you.

Rock Band 3 Pro Guitar detects through your fingers sensed on the fretboard and hitting the string. For best detection they encourage you to mute the strings on the guitar. With the guitar muted, it's not as fun for me since I can't hear what I'm playing.

Usually I don't mute the strings. Although muting may help keep the noise down if you just want to practice without noise. You need the RB3 Fender Squier Pro Guitar though. I have a second stratocaster (that I bought before RB3) that I use for Rocksmith since I don't want to use the RB3 Squier unnecessarily without RB3.

NEO0MJ

Finally have an excuse to bust out the old axe!(which I never learned with anything before =p)

guitar1.png

While I'm a complete guitar noob I think I might be learning a bit(though that may be because my friend is helping me while I play)

jas0 said:
The two methods of detection are interesting too. Rocksmith detects the sound/pitch, so there's a certain leeway on how the notes sound when you play and how the game scores you.

I really like RockSmith's way of doing it. When I was playing Dawn of the Chordead some of the chords I still got right when playing them differently than the suggested fingering. It's the same tones so it should be right.

Just started playing this and think it's pretty awesome so far. However, I think this is a major oversight, or maybe I'm just doing it wrong. In the Display Lag Correction screen, is there anyway to test the setting? Or am I just supposed to remember how many MILLIseconds the notes seem off and go back and forth between several menus? Very, very clumsy UI, if so.

Oh, and I am a much crappier guitar player than I even realized. Still, having fun!

Just got the game and have been playing for while, it's pretty fun. How do I change the settings for the amp in the main manu? Do I have to unlock different amps by finishing the challenges first?

Maddog

DLC on 11/15 - “Smoke On The Water” Deep Purple, “More Than A Feeling” Boston, “Jessica” The Allman Brothers Band.

Fixed1979

Maddog said:
DLC on 11/15 - “Smoke On The Water” Deep Purple, “More Than A Feeling” Boston, “Jessica” The Allman Brothers Band.

Probably not what most people were hoping for (myself included), but at least it's some support.

adamsappel said:
Just started playing this and think it's pretty awesome so far. However, I think this is a major oversight, or maybe I'm just doing it wrong. In the Display Lag Correction screen, is there anyway to test the setting? Or am I just supposed to remember how many MILLIseconds the notes seem off and go back and forth between several menus? Very, very clumsy UI, if so.

Oh, and I am a much crappier guitar player than I even realized. Still, having fun!

I didn't have much trouble with lag so I may be wrong but you should still be able to pick and hear it through the speaker while your adjusting the lag correction. So it's just a matter of adjusting the sound to be in time for when you pluck the string.

NEO0MJ said:
Finally have an excuse to bust out the old axe!(which I never learned with anything before =p)

Is your "old" axe still in it's packaging? =P

I guess I can't say much, I have a bass that's doing the same.

onemic said:
50+ songs, plus arcade mode. If you're learning guitar it's more than enough and will keep you occupied for at least year. I really can't even see myself mastering all those songs within a year really.
It's a gift for someone who has played guitar for 40+ years, but that should be enough to keep him occupied for a while. Thanks!

adamsappel said:

I think that's it, and I was pretty surprised that they didn't use any of the standard syncing methods used by GH/RB/etc.
Probably not what most people were hoping for (myself included), but at least it's some support.
What do you think people were hoping for? Personally a lot of those are what I want: good songs with seemingly involved guitar parts (maybe they're simple, won't know until later).

I'd also like more folk and blues. And fewer songs that require flatpicking, my right-hand fingers hurt.

lljride

Alright guys, I finally caved and picked this up today. I tried learning guitar a few years ago, but I got bored after learning basic chords and running a few scales. I'm hoping this will help keep me motivated.

Only problem is that I don't have a receiver, so I guess component from my PS3 to the TV is my best available option. I know it's not the ideal setup, but it's at least reasonable right?

Fixed1979

Of All Trades said:
I think that's it, and I was pretty surprised that they didn't use any of the standard syncing methods used by GH/RB/etc.

What do you think people were hoping for? Personally a lot of those are what I want: good songs with seemingly involved guitar parts (maybe they're simple, won't know until later).

I'd also like more folk and blues. And fewer songs that require flatpicking, my right-hand fingers hurt.

I think alot of people were hoping to expand the genres a bit including some metal, rockabilly, jazz, blues etc.

My dream would be to see some Zappa (not that I could play it), maybe some Cohen, Dylan, Sexton but I'm sure that's not in the pipes. I certainly don't mind more classic rock songs though and don't have a problem with the songs they've selected.

Top Bottom