• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith |OT| While My Guitar Gently Weeps

NEO0MJ

jgkspsx said:
* Did you see they're selling an "unlock all preset tones" pack for $5? :\

Maybe a bit overpriced for what if offers, but I was never against unlocking in game stuff with DLC.

jgkspsx

NEO0MJ said:
Maybe a bit overpriced for what if offers, but I was never against unlocking in game stuff with DLC.
It's OK if all you want to do is play around with the amp mode, which is pretty impressive on its own. $5 seems pricey, though, for what amounts to an admission of failure.

Also
me said:
EDIT: Is it me, or did the developer in that IAMA sort of hint at getting Pink Floyd????

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
shagg_187 said:
Let's play a guessing game! My guess: Guns n' Roses.
My heart says Kiss cuz Gene Simmons is that guy(he's awesome but man is about the money)
My Head guess its Led Zepplin since they hate these game things

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
jgkspsx said:
this might be my GOTY. "G" may stand for "guitarexperience," but, you know, close enough.

EDIT: Is it me, or did the developer sort of hint at getting Pink Floyd????

I really hope so..so many great classics from them I'd kill for Dogs, can't think of a better song to pull out the acoustic/electric to or actually use the Ultra III's nanomag duh LOL

and ya I've played it more then anything since its come out definately GOTY contender for me,..well that and since they haven't fixed the broken keyboard Q comma rose problem I've been avoiding playing BF3 :)

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Medalion said:
Fucking nice... was so close to buying an Ultra II at one point
I absolutely loved the Midnight Ebony Quilted finish and gold hardware. Saw this picture with no Pick guard and some customization.. Pure Sex
IMG_0202.jpg

Fusebox

Banned
Finally got my copy on Friday, only a local artist at this stage but I'm really impressed with the note detection, it doesn't matter whether Im using P90s or PAFs I can still get 100% note accuracy on songs and tbh I wasn't expecting such a high level of audio tracking. Very impressive game engine.

On the other hand the songs are a bit naff, and restarting Technique challenges takes way too long, I shouldn't have to retune and skip the intro every single restart so some way to disable the tuning stage each time would be nice. It's also a bit of a grind to get each song up to a challenging level, some way to ramp the starting difficulty of each song up would be welcomed.

So yeah, they've nailed the note detection, just need to polish the interface and get that DLC cranking and I could see myself playing this for a very long time.

Mikey Jr.

Ok, now that the dust has settled, is this a good game to learn how to play a guitar from scratch? Like, from absolute zero? I want to go to parties and play stairway to heaven like a badass, lol.

Has there been any more information on when (if?) the European verson will be released? I'm desperate to get hold of this thing and just know that if I import it the bastards will go and release it locally.

jgkspsx

Fusebox said:
On the other hand the songs are a bit naff
I think it's completely impossible to release a music game that does not disappoint a substantial part of your userbase with song selection.

I like a surprisingly large percentage of the setlist, even stuff in genres or by artists I'm not into. It's as good as RB3's base setlist at least. But then a lot of people hated that, too.

Fusebox

Banned
Not really, every single Guitar Hero has had at least a handful of songs I love.

Rock Band 3 had Hendrix, Anthrax, FNM, Ozzy and AX7. Whats the heaviest band on Rocksmith, Soundgarden?

jgkspsx

I guess you have a point. It's very heavy on classic rock and nu-classic rock, with a smattering of indie and pop. (I think there's plenty of stuff as heavy as Crosstown Traffic, though.) There really isn't a metal song. The heaviest thing is probably Velvet Revolver, which sucks. (I really like the heavy proggy Red Fang song, though.)

Luckily, I don't care for metal - I've barely played the RB3 songs you listed besides Crosstown Traffic and Crazy Train. So different strokes. It might be a bad decision on their part, though, as most GH/RB fans seem to be metal-oriented.

Fusebox

Banned
Terrordactyl said:
Fusebox rockin the p90s huh? What axe do you have with them equipped?
It's a Gibson Les Paul 50s tribute. I was gonna use my Ibanezes until I saw how Gibson-themed this game is and so I decided to get out the LP instead.

Fusebox said:
It's a Gibson Les Paul 50s tribute. I was gonna use my Ibanezes until I saw how Gibson-themed this game is and so I decided to get out the LP instead.
I have the same one in ebony I love it. I was contemplating getting an ibanez eventually, I had a friend with one if the high end GEMs, thing was incredible. I have a Washburn and a Epi SG for metal shit already though. I'll probably buy another bass before I buy another guitar I think.

Fusebox

Banned
Awesome, another 50s Tribute owner! /fistpound

This is mine:

5457779832_6c3aa4f214_z.jpg

I've since bought a black pickguard, knobs, switch cover etc to replace the cream bits but haven't had a chance to install them yet.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Picked this up earlier in the week and was very impressed at how accurate it was. Grinded a few of the songs (luckily the game doesn't penalize you for playing the songs in full on your own, despite the game only displaying beginner level notes to hit). Anyways, after a few grinds to unlock the songs in their most difficult/proper/full forms, I got my 98-100% completions (which also earns you a trophy) on numerous songs (Muse, Soundgarden, Queens, STP, Nirvana, etc).

Yes, the soundtrack is a bit on the softer side, but as a first entry in a series, dropping in heavies like Trivium, Dream Theater, Slayer, Testament, etc. wouldn't bode well for those perfectionists out there who will likely not want to take the time out to perfect these over the top acts and their skullfucking (though awesome) solos.

Ultimately, a game like this is more suited for someone who wants to learn, as opposed to someone who already plays. The fact of the matter is that I already play along to songs through my PC. I have my guitar linked to my iMac (via Garage Band) and my amp. I have my iTunes to pick my music from, and I have 5 speakers (including the amp) from which the guitar blares from.

qwerty2k

Is the DLC definitely region locked? Ive imported goto the store and it just says it can't find any DLC.

Really quite enjoying this, I'm still very slow at recognising string colours and sometimes i think the slanted nature of the fret board is a bit confusing as i sometimes select the wrong fret.

The more i play the more i fall in love with it however, i just hope enough people get behind this as we need DLC and a second version of the game.

luffeN

Mikey Jr. said:
Ok, now that the dust has settled, is this a good game to learn how to play a guitar from scratch? Like, from absolute zero? I want to go to parties and play stairway to heaven like a badass, lol.
Yeah, but be prepared to train a lot! This game can show you how to do techniques and chords and get your muscle memory going and then you can concentrate on stairway to heaven with tabs and try to memorize the song.

Ricker

I am not palying this enough I guess for me to feel that it`s teaching me anything...the menu`s are poorly done I think...I just want to practice some chords let`s say but the game moves on because it says I completed it enough even though I sucked at it and can`t see to find how to go back and just practice a song over and over.

But like I said,mostly my fault also for not practicing enough,it`s like I thought this game would magically make a decent guitar player in 3 weeks hehe...

jgkspsx

Ricker said:
the menu`s are poorly done I think...I just want to practice some chords let`s say but the game moves on because it says I completed it enough even though I sucked at it and can`t see to find how to go back and just practice a song over and over.
There are "lives" in the riff repeater. Run out of lives, stop playing, wait for the menus again. Restarting does not restore your lost lives.

Apparently they are aware of how frustrating this is and are planning to patch it somehow in the next patch. It really makes riff repeater almost unusable. I perfected Take Me Out last night, and it took much longer than it should have because of it.

The menu slowness, lack of "install to drive" (wtf is up with that?), and the need to reload songs fresh after each play if you don't pause soon enough at the end of the song to restart really get on my nerves.

notsol337

marked forever
I'm just about to dive in and go get this... I quit playing a few years ago, and I've been recently tinkering again. I've lost most of my ability to play anything, and this seems like it'd be nice to play with. Should be fun!

exhume

Fusebox said:
It just said 2012 last time I checked so I imported.
What's your import site of choice? I know Play-Asia had it, but they're out of stock.

Also just a general question, if I bought this for PS3 and set up a US account, would I be able to purchase DLC through that account or would it detect that I was in the wrong region? I'm assuming it'd be fine but it's always nice to be sure!

Stimpy

I've had this on order for over a week now with planetaxel, seems to be on backorder at every import store I normally use, I guess Ubisoft didn't print enough copies.

Fusebox

Banned
exhume said:
What's your import site of choice? I know Play-Asia had it, but they're out of stock.

Also just a general question, if I bought this for PS3 and set up a US account, would I be able to purchase DLC through that account or would it detect that I was in the wrong region? I'm assuming it'd be fine but it's always nice to be sure!

I just got it from Amazon, and I haven't checked to see if the DLC appears on my US PSN account yet (it doesn't appear on my AUS PSN account) but I was planning to buy a PSN card from Amazon to make the DLC purchases and now Amazon have stopped selling PSN cards! So I need to find somewhere else to get my USA PSN credit from.

exhume

Fusebox said:
I just got it from Amazon, and I haven't checked to see if the DLC appears on my US PSN account yet (it doesn't appear on my AUS PSN account) but I was planning to buy a PSN card from Amazon to make the DLC purchases and now Amazon have stopped selling PSN cards! So I need to find somewhere else to get my USA PSN credit from.
Oh, cool, I didn't realise Amazon shipped games outside of their country of origin. Have they changed their policy recently or somethin'?

I'm in Australia too, by the way. :D

Fusebox

Banned
Heya man, it seems to vary as to which games they ship to our awesome country and which ones they don't, I think it might be even up to the games distributor to decide.

gblues

Banned
bloodydrake said:
My heart says Kiss cuz Gene Simmons is that guy(he's awesome but man is about the money)
My Head guess its Led Zepplin since they hate these game things

6a0120a85dcdae970b0128777002e2970c-pi

"'No Stairway'! Denied!"

You don't have to wait for it to re appear, the riff repeater, jut push start and go to songs, choose the song, choose the arrangement(shores or single note) then choose the section, it shows you your progress in the menu. You can play it again after failing from an option too.

You can also remove songs from the set list or sub them out for another one.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Oh wow, this actually a very cool game, now I just need a guitar, because I want to learn by myself! With some help of course.

Also, thanks OP for dragging me into the title with the awesome George Harrison reference!

exhume said:
It is back in stock now in Play-Asia.

exhume said:
I'm outside of US but have an US account set up, and I can see the Rocksmith DLC in the PSN Store. Haven't tried to buy one yet though, waiting for the "Smoke on the water" (out next week, I believe).

Spaulding

LOVE & TRUTH said:
It is back in stock now in Play-Asia.

Thanks for the head's up. I ordered from planetaxel but it's still on backorder. So I ordered from Play-Asia. Hopefully they'll ship soon.

AlphaSnake

booyakasha said:
ok so I just bought Rocksmith, Never played a guitar before. Can you guys recommend me a guitar for around $300

ESP/LTD or Ibanez makes great entry level stuff that plays well and sounds good. I'm a big fan of both - but I have variety of guitars from ESP/LTD, to Ibanez, to Gibson, to Schecter.

I find myself using my Ibanez Iceman (classic body whatwhat!) the most lately. It has the best feeling fretboard, perfect width, it plays fast, and it sounds good for just being an Iceman.

AlphaSnake

shagg_187 said:
Sure thing!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Ltd-Ed-Special-I-Electric-Guitar-106503311-i1819181.gc

Very good entry guitar for $110 after $20 instant saving.

Personally, I disagree...a lot. Low-end Epiphones and Gibsons are extremely heavy, have very chunky necks, and can be a strain on the fingers for beginners. I know a lot of people who started with these low-end Epis and wanted to give up because they weren't aware of guitars like lower-end Fenders, Ibanezs, and LTDs provide a better feel for the beginner - on top of being much lighter.

The most important piece of advice you can give a beginner is to actually GO to a Guitar Center or Sam Ash (shudder) and try out every guitar. You don't have to plug it in and play, just sit down and see how it feels holding it with your hand wrapped around the neck. If you're okay with the weight (you'll likely play at home while you're standing...it's just more fun :p)

And MAKE SURE you do NOT get a guitar with a tremolo/whammy bar. They are an absolute pain to keep in check, as they require frequent fine tuning everytime they're used (more expensive guitars with trems do not...but cheap ones are awful).

AlphaSnake said:
Personally, I disagree...a lot. Low-end Epiphones and Gibsons are extremely heavy, have very chunky necks, and can be a strain on the fingers for beginners. I know a lot of people who started with these low-end Epis and wanted to give up because they weren't aware of guitars like lower-end Fenders, Ibanezs, and LTDs provide a better feel for the beginner - on top of being much lighter.

The most important piece of advice you can give a beginner is to actually GO to a Guitar Center or Sam Ash (shudder) and try out every guitar. You don't have to plug it in and play, just sit down and see how it feels holding it with your hand wrapped around the neck. If you're okay with the weight (you'll likely play at home while you're standing...it's just more fun :p)

And MAKE SURE you do NOT get a guitar with a tremolo/whammy bar. They are an absolute pain to keep in check, as they require frequent fine tuning everytime they're used (more expensive guitars with trems do not...but cheap ones are awful).

I... guess I agree with you mostly, especially with the going to the store part.

I guess a better advice would be to look up what comes in your budget and try them all out. It doesn't matter if you suck at it, the point is the feel of it. I personally love the feel of Epiphone/Gibson.

Though you gotta admit that nothing can beat a less than $100 guitar that is based on one of the best guitars out there! :D

AlphaSnake

shagg_187 said:
I... guess I agree with you mostly, especially with the going to the store part.

I guess a better advice would be to look up what comes in your budget and try them all out. It doesn't matter if you suck at it, the point is the feel of it. I personally love the feel of Epiphone/Gibson.

Though you gotta admit that nothing can beat a less than $100 guitar that is based on one of the best guitars out there! :D

My buddy has a Gibson SG Classic 61, and that is an absolute monster of a guitar. Anything Gibson ~$1000 and over is simply incredible. Anything below, has a lot of drawbacks imo.

Fusebox

Banned
booyakasha said:
ok so I just bought Rocksmith, Never played a guitar before. Can you guys recommend me a guitar for around $300

Have you got any mates who do play that can help you shop? If so, go second-hand. $300 will get you a bad-ass guitar, you can probably get something awesome made in Japan during the 90's which will destroy a new Chinese or Indonesian model.

Something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/70s-LP-blac...z-/160676130446?pt=Guitar&hash=item25690b2e8e

Or stretch the cash to $450 for this and rock the same specs as Steve Vai:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-RG-5...J-/220818756956?pt=Guitar&hash=item3369d2d55c

AlphaSnake said:
My buddy has a Gibson SG Classic 61, and that is an absolute monster of a guitar. Anything Gibson ~$1000 and over is simply incredible. Anything below, has a lot of drawbacks imo.

What Gibsons are under $1000?

dejay

Banned
Yeah, so two days ago I had never really heard of this game. I have a half decent acoustic (on my second one) but I'd describe myself as very under-baked in the the guitar playing department. I've wanted an electric for a long time but never saw myself putting in the hours to justify another guitar purchase. Then I saw this thread and decided pretty quickly that I wanted the game and an electric.

So, after a little bit of research, and seeing this post....

bloodydrake said:
honestly I think the 240MS points a song is to much..there's no reason for these songs to be more then 2dollars each.(140ish)
Just seems like Ubisoft taking advantage of the core fan base a bit.
I won't be buying as many dlc songs as I thought at that price.

On a positive note...Caved in and bought an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra III yesterday!
Really pleased with it so far. Just swapped out tuners for Locking ones and Used some Lemon Oil on the fret board(which seemed dry).Got a Clear Pickguard on order which will look really good with it once I install it.
edit updated with new clear pickguard
2ps22j4.jpg

...I started investigating this range of guitars. Turns out that only the Ultra II appears to be available in Australia at the moment, but the stuff they added to the Ultra III makes it a very attractive proposition to me (ugly USB port bump notwithstanding). I know there are some coming in the next few weeks here but I'm impatient and fatally impulsive with spending and besides, I can import cheaper, with priority air freight, than I can buy locally.

Long story short, I should hopefully have one (in faded cherry) winging it's way to me from the US and be here on Monday for less money than a significantly"shop spoiled" Ultra II costs locally. There is some doubt because they don't ship all brands internationally, in which case I'll have to use a forwarder, which shouldn't cost too much more. I know there are risks with importing stuff, but I've saved so much money by importing stuff that even if this comes to me in a pile of splinters and wire I'd still be well ahead.

Looks like some of my other desires will be put on the back burner now but I'm excited about the game and the axe. The set list looks pretty good to my eyes and I look forward to DLC. Usually I prefer my games on 360 but since I'd be using the same controller on either console I'm happy that the PS3 is region free. Also I already have the required RCA sound cables on my PS3 so that's also very good. I tested the audio lag through HDMI straight into my reciever using the reciever's "direct" mode and it was only 15ms, but if I can at least half that by using analogue then I'll go to the trouble of doing so.

This looks like a good place to buy US PSN codes from: http://www.pcgamesupply.com/buygames/sony-playstation-network-cards/ Anybody had any experience with them?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
dejay said:
Yeah, so two days ago I had never really heard of this game. I have a half decent acoustic (on my second one) but I'd describe myself as very under-baked in the the guitar playing department. I've wanted an electric for a long time but never saw myself putting in the hours to justify another guitar purchase. Then I saw this thread and decided pretty quickly that I wanted the game and an electric.

So, after a little bit of research, and seeing this post....

...I started investigating this range of guitars.
Long story short, I should hopefully have one (in faded cherry) winging it's way to me from the US and be here on Monday for less money than a significantly"shop spoiled" Ultra II costs locally.
Welcome to the Epiphone Legion. Great Les Paul without breaking the bank.
I've been very happy with it so far. Its alot nicer then the Standard I had,neck is slimmer the satin finish is much nicer on the neck, the nut was cut better,and the lighter weight is great.
I do need to bring it in and get setup done to eliminate some buzz on the Low E string but otherwise its been great. Oh just curious I found the Fret board was really dry some dunlop 65 fixed her up but i'm curious if yours when you get it also seems really dry.
130709010175.gif

AlphaSnake

Fusebox said:
What Gibsons are under $1000?

Les Paul Melody Maker, SG Melody Maker, Flying V Melody Maker, Explorer Melody Maker, LP Junior, Flying V Faded Special, Les Paul Limited 60 Tribute, and a few others that have come and gone.

dejay

Banned
Cool - they can ship direct but I need to transfer the money rather than using my credit card for protection. Either that or send some scans of IDs and credit cards.

bloodydrake said:
Welcome to the Epiphone Legion. Great Les Paul without breaking the bank.
I've been very happy with it so far. Its alot nicer then the Standard I had,neck is slimmer the satin finish is much nicer on the neck, the nut was cut better,and the lighter weight is great.
I do need to bring it in and get setup done to eliminate some buzz on the Low E string but otherwise its been great. Oh just curious I found the Fret board was really dry some dunlop 65 fixed her up but i'm curious if yours when you get it also seems really dry.
130709010175.gif

Cool. I'll probably get it setup when it arrives unless it plays well out of the box. I have a satin finish on the neck of my acoustic and I much prefer it to a glossy finish - it's one of the details I liked about it.

I'll let you know about the fretboard.

(edit) The more I look at that tumbs up gif the more disturbing it becomes.

Top Bottom