• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith |OT| While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Of All Trades said:
What do you think people were hoping for?

I can't speak for everyone but, personally I wanted something metal along the lines of MegaDeth through Dimmu Borgir and almost everything in between. Eventually the metal will come though so I can wait and play what is there for now.

Fixed1979 said:
I didn't have much trouble with lag so I may be wrong but you should still be able to pick and hear it through the speaker while your adjusting the lag correction. So it's just a matter of adjusting the sound to be in time for when you pluck the string.
Thanks. I was expecting a visual cue. As it is, you still can't test anything in that screen (that I can tell; the background noodling can be a little obtrusive). Adjust the setting, then back out and start another event to test, then quit and go back into the adjustment? That's a dozen screens to sit through. For a game that shipped with printed inserts about lag and calibration, that's a major UI flaw.

Famassu said:
Certainly for something else than one of the most boring songs of all time (Smoke on the Water).
Indeed it is boring, but it's also probably the first riff anyone who picks up an electric guitar learns to play.

Onemic

Bl4ckSunsh1n3 said:
I can't speak for everyone but, personally I wanted something metal along the lines of MegaDeth through Dimmu Borgir and almost everything in between. Eventually the metal will come though so I can wait and play what is there for now.

Problem is 95% of the targeted user base wouldn't be able to play it, gotta wait for the dust to settle a little before the more challenging songs get released. I can see metal DLC coming in maybe around the next or subsequent DLC batch though. And you can forget Dimmu Borgir for about a good 6 months....maybe never

NEO0MJ

Fixed1979 said:
Is your "old" axe still in it's packaging? =P

I guess I can't say much, I have a bass that's doing the same.

Not anymore. I left it in it's box after I felt like I couldn't muster the will to learn how to play it before.
Of course, it sits there when I'm not playing. I need to buy a stand for it.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Wow is this Black Keys song seriously $4.99?

(yes, it is)

Bodysnatchers and Free Bird are both $2.99.

Fusebox

Banned
Fixed1979 said:
maybe some Cohen, Dylan,

Step 1. Get a chord book
Step 2. Strum chords

Serious, you don't need a game to teach you how to play their guitar parts. :)

lobdale said:
Wow is this Black Keys song seriously $4.99?

(yes, it is)

Bodysnatchers and Free Bird are both $2.99.

Wtf? Not cool... $4.99 for all 3 songs would be more like it.

Fixed1979

Fusebox said:
Step 1. Get a chord book
Step 2. Strum chords

Serious, you don't need a game to teach you how to play their guitar parts. :)

I suppose, but some of Cohen's stuff does use arpeggios and it would be a more entertaining way to get good at doing that and maybe advancing from there. But even doing chord stuff would be a more entertaining way of getting better at switching, although I'm sure it would bore the fuck out of anyone who can play.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
honestly I think the 240MS points a song is to much..there's no reason for these songs to be more then 2dollars each.(140ish)
Just seems like Ubisoft taking advantage of the core fan base a bit.
I won't be buying as many dlc songs as I thought at that price.

On a positive note...Caved in and bought an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra III yesterday!
Really pleased with it so far. Just swapped out tuners for Locking ones and Used some Lemon Oil on the fret board(which seemed dry).Got a Clear Pickguard on order which will look really good with it once I install it.
edit updated with new clear pickguard
2ps22j4.jpg

^^^ Beauty!

DrBo42 said:
Yeah just double checked on the marketplace. Something is very wrong if PSN users are getting charged a dollar more.

Yeah. From the press release:

"Each song will be available for individual purchase for $2.99 on the Playstation network or for 240 Microsoft points on Xbox Live."

Will wait for price fix.

bloodydrake said:
On a positive note...Caved in and bought an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra III yesterday!
Really pleased with it so far. Just swapped out tuners for Locking ones and Used some Lemon Oil on the fret board(which seemed dry).Got a Clear Pickguard on order which will look really good with it once I install it.

That is a beautiful guitar right there.

It really makes me wonder how much difference even more expensive guitars make.. You'd think at a certain point there would be diminishing returns.. unless you were wanting a particular original or vintage guitar, I don't see why people would pay $2-3k and higher for a guitar.

Robobandit said:
You'd think at a certain point there would be diminishing returns.. unless you were wanting a particular original or vintage guitar, I don't see why people would pay $2-3k and higher for a guitar.
There are diminishing returns, but there are some very nice, expensive, guitars. Until you play one that speaks to you, they're all over priced, and then that one is heartbreakingly unaffordable.

My three favourite acoustics that I've played are a pair of over-$3000 Martins and a under-$1000 Eastman (in that order). Nothing in between.

Check out some of the guitars here.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Robobandit said:
That is a beautiful guitar right there.

It really makes me wonder how much difference even more expensive guitars make.. You'd think at a certain point there would be diminishing returns.. unless you were wanting a particular original or vintage guitar, I don't see why people would pay $2-3k and higher for a guitar.
Thx :)

I think it makes a difference but its more subtle. For me being somewhere between beginner and intermediate player it makes no sense to spend more then 750 for the ultra III.
Ya its made in china machine and handcrafted, ya its probuckers2/3 not burstbucker2/3 its not handcrafted in America.But it would be about 2600bucks for a Gibson setup like that. There is a definite tonal difference tho if you play them side by side..its noticeable.

IF I was 6 to 7 figure a year working musician I'd do it. For me as someone that plays for myself and just jams abit with a couple fiends, mid range is cool with me. :)

Very dumb question, I know this and I apologize in advance, because Im 99.9% sure the OP answers this (any guitar idiot!), but when it says any guitar, does this include the Squier Fender Stratocaster guitar that was made for specifically for RB3?

DrBo42

TheApatheticOne said:
Very dumb question, I know this and I apologize in advance, because Im 99.9% sure the OP answers this (any guitar idiot!), but when it says any guitar, does this include the Squier Fender Stratocaster guitar that was made for specifically for RB3?
If it's a working guitar with strings, frets, a pickup or multiple pickups with a 1/4inch output. It'll work. Haha.

Edit: Nice Les Paul, Drake. That's the one with the nanomag pickup on the neck, yeah? That was definitely my runner up when I was buying a new guitar. Very cool.

Fusebox

Banned
TheApatheticOne said:
Not a dumb question at all man, it stumped me coz I don't know much about the Rock Band squire but like the guy said, if you can plug it into a regular guitar amp you can use it for this game,

onemic said:
Problem is 95% of the targeted user base wouldn't be able to play it, gotta wait for the dust to settle a little before the more challenging songs get released. I can see metal DLC coming in maybe around the next or subsequent DLC batch though. And you can forget Dimmu Borgir for about a good 6 months....maybe never

Yeah, I know. The target audience for this game is not those who will be playing Shadows Fall solos note for note.

However, if they put out mod tools or allow something like the Rock Band Network does then I'll do the songs myself and put them out.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
DrBo42 said:
Edit: Nice Les Paul, Drake. That's the one with the nanomag pickup on the neck, yeah?
Yep the Ultra II had that as well the Ultra III just came out, it adds abunch of cool stuff to it new Pickups ect.
Heres Video with guy playing it and breaking down new features..if only i could play as good as that guy LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9-7nLWUBjo
Oh P.S. sound quality is better using the HD feed

DrBo42

bloodydrake said:
Yep the Ultra II had that as well the Ultra III just came out, it adds abunch of cool stuff to it new Pickups ect.
Heres Video with guy playing it and breaking down new features..if only i could play as good as that guy LOL
Pretty damn sweet. I've come to the conclusion that Les Pauls are a little too punchy for me though. I'm a bigger fan of bright tones hence going for a semi hollow body for a more acoustic feel. On to actual game discussion: Is anyone else having major issues with the low E string all of a sudden? It's saying I'm in tune but it's completely shitting the bed when trying to recognize what I'm playing on it. Was playing a STP song (not the 1 to 3 hammer on one) and when I play the 3rd fret it says I'm messing up. If I play the 2nd fret it recognizes it, even though the interface is telling me to play an F. (Drop D)

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
the only problem i've had with stuff like that is when the ingame tuner says i'm in tune but its actually off abit if you use a real tuner..

so it says E is in tune but i fret the 5th fret and the little icon says go left..if you adjust the tuning of the E string abit down it then registers correctly all over.

outside of the game do you hear the proper tonal change fret to fret on that string? if you don't you could not have your neck setup properly and it could be registering the same note in 2 positions due to a high fret or something.

How to unlock each guitarcade game:

Ducks = Achieve "qualify" status for one song.
Super Ducks* = Achieve "qualify" status for ten songs.
Scale Runner* = Achieve "qualify' status for fifteen songs.
Super Slider = complete the Slides Technique Challenge with a score of 0 or better.
Big Swing Baseball = complete the Bends Technique Challenge with a score of 0 or better.
Quick Pick Dash = complete the Tremolo Technique Challenge with a score of 0 or better.
Dawn of the Chordead = complete the Chords Technique Challenge with a score of 0 or better.
Harmonically Challenged = complete the Harmonics Technique Challenge with a score of 0 or better.

MiniDitka

bloodydrake said:
honestly I think the 240MS points a song is to much..there's no reason for these songs to be more then 2dollars each.(140ish)

fus2f8.jpg
Thats one purty geetar :D Heres mine. Not quite as nice but it gets er done.

Dearmond M-77 Moon Blue.

DeArmond20M-72201.jpg

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
MiniDitka said:
Dearmond M-77 Moon Blue.

I absolutely Love that color of blue on a guitar..wish the Midnight Sapphire on the Ultra III looked like that,I would have gotte that finish(it looks more like faded blue jeans)

bloodydrake said:

I'm the same. I went from thinking I was going to buy most of the DLC to now I'll only buy songs I want to learn to play. DLC always confuses me in a way. A company releases a game for $80 that has 50 songs, mini-games, and tons of other stuff then they turn around and want to charge $90 for 30 more songs....it doesn't add up right for me.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
agreed. and Honestly they're tabbing out 1 Instrument for each song not base, drums, guitar ect so they can't claim its all the extra work to tab out.

Philthy

Have to agree on this as well. I was expecting to buy almost any DLC that came out for this, but the pricing is just too much. I'll be buying only the songs I really like instead of everything that comes out.

Which is to say I'll probably buy one song every 6-10 releases. So instead of ~$10-20 they could be getting for me, they will end up with only $3.

If it is because the bands want that much, then I guess there is not much anyone can do. End result is less sales for everyone involved. Which is too bad.

jgkspsx

No, the pricing is a bit of a ripoff. Granting that charting these is a bit harder than RB3 pro mode which doesn't do bends, the $2+$1 RBC DLC includes pro drums and keyboards, harmony vocals, and non-pro versions of anything.

For $2 I'd consider trying something that might not do anything for me, like more Black Keys. For 50% more, I will be a lot more selective. (But then, it looks like DLC will be much more limited.)

If you are someone that buys RB3 for Pro Guitar though none of that stuff matters to you. Which is what Rocksmith is for.

I was hoping tracks would be $2 but whatever it's just a dollar.

jgkspsx

toymachine said:
If you are someone that buys RB3 for Pro Guitar though none of that stuff matters to you. Which is what Rocksmith is for.

I was hoping tracks would be $2 but whatever it's just a dollar.
I'm buying RB3 for pro guitar, pro keys, pro drums, harmony vocals, parties, screwing around, whatever. I'm buying Rocksmith songs just for practice on those specific songs, because the main game covers general technique practice better than any individual song. They're comparable, and the RB pricing is much friendlier to checking out unfamiliar music. (Not that there's been much of that since the first two months of RB3 DLC.)

Admittedly, it is just a dollar. "Just a dollar" has added up to really big money in my RB library, though.

Medalion

Banned
Terrordactyl said:
>drops 750 dollars on a guitar, complains about a dollar :lol
After spending a lotta money on yer axe you have barely anything left to do much else

Very common problem with musicians

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Terrordactyl said:
shrug I also payed 30,000 for a truck.. I also like to drink 12year Old Rum as oppose to the cheapest kind I can get..

What bearing does that have on the arbitrarily inflated cost of DLC for this game?
I like nice things..I don't like being taken advantage of tho. The increase in price per song feels like just another way to nickel and dime the limited user base this game has..I don't support that.
I dont see what was Mockworthy in being disappointed in the price of dlc

Terrordactyl said:

I'm not complaining about a dollar. I'm just stating that for that price I'm not willing to take risks on songs from genres or bands I even only marginally like.

Glassboy

How does this game compare to Rock Band 3 guitar tutorial and does the Rock Band 3's training guitar work with this game? (I'd assume so because it's a real guitar, but just checking)

I could understand if the DLC was more frequent, it's Clearly not goIng to be though. Add in that they are getting much higher profile artists for DLC than compared to what's on the disc and I don't see it as a terrible deal. If you don't wanna pay for it just play the song off your hard drive in amp mode.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Terrordactyl said:
I could understand if the DLC was more frequent, it's Clearly not goIng to be though.

thats not the case tho.
they've said they expect to release 3 to 5 songs every two weeks.

They've also said that now that the game is out bands that outright rejected them initially have contacted them asking to be included now that they've seen they're not gonna be made into cartoon characters singing beiber songs.

So I still think the price is to high but we'll see what happens.
Good read if you scan thru for the questions they answer
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/m0juy/iama_rocksmith_developer/
one band wanted 4million for one song LOL

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Oh anyone know if the PC version is gonna use Steam ?
I'm thinking of selling 360 version to a buddy that wants to buy it. and buying the PC version.
Figure on PC I won't have to worry about keeping my 360 or re buying everything on the next gen systems later.

NEO0MJ

shagg_187 said:
Let's play a guessing game! My guess: Guns n' Roses.

Metallica.

In other news, I just finished the second event. But the first Nirvana song is so hard. First song that really stumped me from the very start.

Medalion

Banned
bloodydrake said:
Fucking nice... was so close to buying an Ultra II at one point

jgkspsx

Rank 6 now and beginning to hit the limits of my technique on things like the Freebird solo. But I don't feel bad about that.

Interface problems and DLC pricing* aside, this might be my GOTY. "G" may stand for "guitarexperience," but, you know, close enough.

* Did you see they're selling an "unlock all preset tones" pack for $5? :\

EDIT: Is it me, or did the developer sort of hint at getting Pink Floyd????

Top Bottom