• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith |OT| While My Guitar Gently Weeps

>Doesn't want to reconfigure his "entertainment system" to decrease lag
>complains whole review about lag

yup sounds like KotakStiq

DrBo42

It should just work. Why is this game telling me at the very start about optimal setups? I'm not reading that, I have to get this review out to justify my position here.

Famassu

BigJiantRobut said:
If this thread is any indication, this game is actually a conspiracy by a cabal of guitar manufacturers to get people all worked up about buying guitars again.
Would actually be interesting to know if there's been any kind of jump in guitar sales at the time of or close to Rocksmith's release

adamsappel said:
Go to the hardware store and buy #31 O-Rings. They slip (tightly) over the strap buttons and hold the strap in place.

e4075629-ab06-4550-948c-9e6b72068edb_Grolsch-beugelfles.gif

Don't know if they sell the big Grolsch bottles in the US, but the orange ring fits perfectly on the strapholder.

BigJiantRobut said:
If this thread is any indication, this game is actually a conspiracy by a cabal of guitar manufacturers to get people all worked up about buying guitars again.
I've always wondered, if it's the amp making the noise, why does it matter what kind of guitar you have? Wouldn't two wooden boxes glued together with decent strings have the same sound quality as a $15,000+ guitar used by Metalica?

Famassu

Dark Octave said:
I've always wondered, if it's the amp making the noise, why does it matter what kind of guitar you have? Wouldn't two wooden boxes glued together with decent strings have the same sound quality as a $15,000+ guitar used by Metalica?
Of course not. The material of the guitar, the quality of the parts etc. all affect what kind of sound a guitar makes, even when played through an amp.

I'm using a Line 6 Variax from a few years ago. It is nice, but I do have to keep feeding it AA batteries. I'd consider buying an inexpensive electric but I don't think my wife would go for that. I do have an Ovation electric acoustic but that's going to make a bit more noise when I play.

Dark Octave said:

Hell no. The pickups are also a huge factor in the sound. And better guitars generally have better sustain. And the wood composition can affect tone. And blah... blah... blah... Guitars are designed the way they are for a reason. It's not just because they look cool

I see, thanks for answering. My mom bought me a cheap guitar a few years ago, probably from Costco or somewhere similar. It's good enought quality for now, but I wondered if at some point I would need to upgrade.

I deal with music software to where I have one controller (keyboard woth no sound), racks (synthesizer with no keys) and the majority is software on my PC. It makes no difference if my controller is from Roland or Fisher Price, the sound quality will always be the same in the end. This was my line of thinking behind the guitar as well, which is why I asked the question.

Falagard

I bought Rocksmith from Costco in Canada yesterday for $69.99 and also noticed the bundle was only $169.99

Just an FYI.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Jason's Ultimatum said:
So does this game actually teach you to play the guitar if you've never picked one up?
If your motivated to learn and are willing to fill in the gaps (like theory) on your own on other free guitar sites..yes you can use this to teach yourself to play guitar.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
That DLC is coming image was literally the entire content of the post they made on their Facebook page. "Gee thanks"

Sounds like a very unfortunate review. Not actually bothering to read it, but I'm sad this fine effort that manages to elegantly walk the line between teaching instrument and entertainment product might be overlooked.

That said, I'm ready for DLC!

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
DrBo42 said:
The only thing I don't "get" is the scale runner. Is anyone that doesn't know theory really going to tackle this and be okay, "I'm going to work on my mixolydian scales today"? It's great that it's in there but in order to even apply this, don't I have to at least know some music theory to apply it? I just don't see how it helps me as a novice.

I finally checked it out and ya its abit of an advanced thing.
For the complete beginners I hope this helps clarify whats going on.
Bearing in mind I'm only one step up from there myself :)

Saying that here goes:

Minor Pentatonic Scale is one of the most popular Scales in Rock Guitar so starting there is a good idea. There are 5 positions(shapes)you can play the PS in
sc_min_pent_big_picture.gif

This picture shows each box is a scale position for Key of G (G Minor Pentatonic) it starts on 3rd fret. For the Key of A(A Minor pentatonic scale) it will look like this.Its first position(matching) starts on the 5th fret
aminpentallnotes.gif

the reality is these are identical its just shifting the whole scale down 2 frets so the blue box is in the 5678 fret location for Am pentatonic. When you get to the end on the right(the orange box) the scale starts to repeat itself.
So looking at the first picture fret 15 is the first row of the blue box scale in the next octave(12 frets in an octave) so it repeats that shape till you run out of frets.

Each box has 4 frets and if you put your hand down so your fingers each cover one of the frets for the whole scale position you should only fret the notes in that scale with the finger for that row.
so for the blue box to play the whole section, your fingers would be index,pinkie..move down a row.. index..ring finder...move down a row ..index,ring finger..index,ring finger.. index, pinkie.. index, pinkie.

once ya go that mastered...you can improve leads using the minor pentatonic scale in the key of whatever the song is in and it will sound awesome.

The minigame (in minor pentatonic scale mode) is trying to get you use to doing the scales..and changing the order of notes you play in the scale but not any other notes mixed in.
I can definitely see it as a great tool to increase your lead scale speed dramatically.

Onemic

So happy they put Best Coast in this game, Slowly mastering the intro. This game is looking to be my GOTY so far, and the most surprising one at that. I totally did an impulse buy on this thing and so far its been worth every penny.

Fixed1979

onemic said:
So happy they put Best Coast in this game, Slowly mastering the intro. This game is looking to be my GOTY so far, and the most surprising one at that. I totally did an impulse buy on this thing and so far its been worth every penny.

Same, I laughed at the idea...then read the OP and went out and bought it the same day.

Onemic

I really hope this game sells well, there's so much they can add with future iterations like the ability to repeat riffs when practicing and expanded community features(online please?)

And wheres the DLC?(I heard those that pre ordered got two extra tracks, but even they're not available as DLC yet) Unlike rock band every song I buy will actually go towards making me better at playing an actual instrument and not a plastic toy, makes my purchases seem more justified :D

My axe that I dusted off thanks to this game. I used to play guitar a lot then I stopped because of life stuff (job, family, etc). This game has been great for getting me back into it.

11%2B-%2B1

I leveled up my weapon.. (click for full size pictures)-

Top -

Back -

I'm almost afraid to play it.. but at least I'll look awesome while I suck at Rocksmith.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Robobandit said:

Top -

Back -

I'm almost afraid to play it.. but at least I'll look awesome while I suck at Rocksmith.

Gorgeous guitar!
100000'd my first version of a song but it didn't unlock Master Mode..it was the chord version of Sweet Home Alabama(really easy btw) guess ya gotta 100000 the single note version to get it.

Onemic

One thing that has me puzzled about the game. I noticed you can unlock guitars while palying the game, does that mean that the tone produced isn't from your guitar? So a $100 guitar bought from walmart won't sound different from a $1000 strat?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
onemic said:
One thing that has me puzzled about the game. I noticed you can unlock guitars while palying the game, does that mean that the tone produced isn't from your guitar? So a $100 guitar bought from walmart won't sound different from a $1000 strat?

I think its just the graphics, the graphics for the frets sit on a transparent guitar so you see the inlays change the machine heads change ect when you change guitars.
I'm not 100% but pretty sure. I've not noticed any tone difference in asong when I change ingame guitars.

Onemic

Dark Octave said:
Anybody else have trouble telling what fret the note is coming down on when it's far off?

I used to because I always looked at the ingame fret board when stuff were far away, which always messed me up as the notes from far away are coming in at an angle, making me sometimes be a fret higher or lower. I just look at the notes when they're far away with the numbers saying what fret they're supposed to be on now and once the notes are close I begin to look at the fret board if I still don't have a bearing on where I'm supposed to be on the neck. Made life much easier.

I think its just the graphics, the graphics for the frets sit on a transparent guitar so you see the inlays change the machine heads change ect when you change guitars.
I'm not 100% but pretty sure. I've not noticed any tone difference in asong when I change ingame guitars.

I thought so, just making sure. Whenever I changed my pickup switch, I noticed a difference in tone, so that was an indication right there.

Fusebox

Banned
Robobandit said:

<pics<

Nice looking LTD, what EMGs are in it?

bloodydrake said:
Gorgeous guitar!
100000'd my first version of a song but it didn't unlock Master Mode..it was the chord version of Sweet Home Alabama(really easy btw) guess ya gotta 100000 the single note version to get it.
You need to have every section of the song maxxed out in difficulty in addition to breaking 100k. I've got master mode on 30 songs or so, recently they threw a song in an encore on master mode, I was like wtf?!

I just bought a Gibson LP with p90s that will be here on Thursday, can not wait.

jgkspsx

ZackieChan said:
So, if my only option is connecting through HDMI only, should I even bother with this?
What console? At least on 360, that was my "only option" until I got the audio adapter and an RCA to headphone jack cable. Cost less than $10 shipped from Monoprice.

jgkspsx said:
What console? At least on 360, that was my "only option" until I got the audio adapter and an RCA to headphone jack cable. Cost less than $10 shipped from Monoprice.

I will be playing on PS3.

jgkspsx

P.S. the extra cables are a hassle, but man is it worth it. My scores tripled after getting the video lag settled (at 72 ms). I breezed through all of the technique challenges that I had struggled on before.

Xerxes

Neo Member
Hmm. 4 MB update today. Looks like it fixes the replay audio sync issue. Huzzah! Not sure what else it does. Probably just prepping for DLC.

Fusebox said:
Nice looking LTD, what EMGs are in it?

It's a EMG 81/85 combo.

Local shop was selling it for a good price.. gave me a discount on a case, strap and strap locks and some free guitar polish, polishing rag and an electronic tuner. (and a bunch of picks)

They are active pickups, the guy said to be sure not to leave it plugged in when you're done.. otherwise the batteries will drain faster.. apparently just takes a 9 volt.

My first (free) lesson is next week... this thing is so pretty I'm almost afraid to play it.. but I feel better about it with the strap locks in place.

jgkspsx

Xerxes said:
Hmm. 4 MB update today. Looks like it fixes the replay audio sync issue. Huzzah! Not sure what else it does. Probably just prepping for DLC.
Awesome. That was really bugging me.

onemic said:
I used to because I always looked at the ingame fret board when stuff were far away, which always messed me up as the notes from far away are coming in at an angle, making me sometimes be a fret higher or lower. I just look at the notes when they're far away with the numbers saying what fret they're supposed to be on now and once the notes are close I begin to look at the fret board if I still don't have a bearing on where I'm supposed to be on the neck. Made life much easier.

I thought so, just making sure. Whenever I changed my pickup switch, I noticed a difference in tone, so that was an indication right there.
I'll try that, thanks.

Fusebox

Banned
Robobandit said:
It's a EMG 81/85 combo.

Local shop was selling it for a good price.. gave me a discount on a case, strap and strap locks and some free guitar polish, polishing rag and an electronic tuner. (and a bunch of picks)

They are active pickups, the guy said to be sure not to leave it plugged in when you're done.. otherwise the batteries will drain faster.. apparently just takes a 9 volt.

My first (free) lesson is next week... this thing is so pretty I'm almost afraid to play it.. but I feel better about it with the strap locks in place.
Nice one, I rock an 81/60 combo in my Ibanez S320, and yeah, pull the cable out of the guitar when you aren't using it to stop the battery from draining. Nice axe man, enjoy!

Fusebox said:
Nice one, I rock an 81/60 combo in my Ibanez S320, and yeah, pull the cable out of the guitar when you aren't using it to stop the battery from draining. Nice axe man, enjoy!

I plan to enjoy the hell out of it.. even more so when I can actually play some songs :)

Seanspeed

Banned
What on earth? Seriously? This game. Sounds. Awesome. And I've never heard of it til now? Damn what the hell. I need this. Tracklist isn't all that great, but this sounds like a lot of fun.

I've got a 7-string guitar, though. Anybody know if this matters? Will it just ignore my bottom string?

Seanspeed said:
What on earth? Seriously? This game. Sounds. Awesome. And I've never heard of it til now? Damn what the hell. I need this. Tracklist isn't all that great, but this sounds like a lot of fun.

I've got a 7-string guitar, though. Anybody know if this matters? Will it just ignore my bottom string?

Yep it detects tone so it shouldn't be an issue.

Seanspeed

Banned
Terrordactyl said:
Yep it detects tone so it shouldn't be an issue.
Oh sweet. Gonna pick this up tomorrow then. Hell yea!

This here be my axe. 7 string AX series Ibanez with EMG 707 pickups bridge and neck.

24w7wnt.jpg

Top Bottom