• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith |OT| While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Jinaar

Got the game today, working out fine until after a good hour and now my cable doesn't work with the game. Strumming on the guitar does not create sounds in the game or string recognition while in tuning. I've tried multiple USB ports, rebooted 360, made sure all connections are proper.

Has anyone else have this problem? I may just have a faulty one and will return it tomorrow. Unhappy because I was really having fun with THE BLACK KEYS song. Now I am dead in the water.

To Dark Souls I guess.

Exuro

So is this worth it for beginners? I used to play a long time ago although I never really got far into it(learned a few songs and chords) and just recently decided to pick it back up. I'll probably wait til xmas to get the pc version as my stuff is hooked up in my room but it would be nice to hear if its something that I should look into.

Fusebox

Banned
Jinaar said:
Got the game today, working out fine until after a good hour and now my cable doesn't work with the game. Strumming on the guitar does not create sounds in the game or string recognition while in tuning. I've tried multiple USB ports, rebooted 360, made sure all connections are proper.

Has anyone else have this problem? I may just have a faulty one and will return it tomorrow. Unhappy because I was really having fun with THE BLACK KEYS song. Now I am dead in the water.

To Dark Souls I guess.

Have you got a guitar amp or just the included guitar? Might be worth plugging the guitar into an amp just to make sure it isn't the cable jack at fault.

Total guitar beginner, and trying to hold off until Christmas for this game. I know it will plummet in price quickly, but I am worried about it actually being hard to find in the long run.

PhoncipleBone said:
Total guitar beginner, and trying to hold off until Christmas for this game. I know it will plummet in price quickly, but I am worried about it actually being hard to find in the long run.
I was worried about availability too. One of the reasons I went ahead and picked it up. Almost every store I went to last week only had one copy each and I have a feeling it wasn't due to it selling out.

On another topic, the tip of my left index finger is killing me. I think my biggest problem right now is plucking the correct string while holding it. How do you guys do it? My pick is all over the place. It seems like it grows tripple in size when I need to pluck anything in the middle.

Jinaar

Fusebox said:
Have you got a guitar amp or just the included guitar? Might be worth plugging the guitar into an amp just to make sure it isn't the cable jack at fault.

Tested it out with my amp, guitar and amp work fine. Went back into the game, got the tuner to recognize 5 out of 6 strings and it died on the E minor. Has to be the cable. Returning it tomorrow for another one :)

DrBo42

Jinaar said:
Tested it out with my amp, guitar and amp work fine. Went back into the game, got the tuner to recognize 5 out of 6 strings and it died on the E minor. Has to be the cable. Returning it tomorrow for another one :)
Mine is kinda like this if I use the neck pickup, the high e is a little intermittent if I play softly. When I use both, the high e works fine.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Dark Octave said:
I was worried about availability too. One of the reasons I went ahead and picked it up. Almost every store I went to last week only had one copy each and I have a feeling it wasn't due to it selling out.

On another topic, the tip of my left index finger is killing me. I think my biggest problem right now is plucking the correct string while holding it. How do you guys do it? My pick is all over the place. It seems like it grows tripple in size when I need to pluck anything in the middle.

I actually still don't even play with a pick most of the time, have a massive callus on my right strumming/picking thumb just cause I mostly thumb-strum acoustics and that's just how I'm used to playing. You can actually get picks that wrap around your thumb for just thumb picking if you want.

I should probably TRY to use a standard pick but it is just has always seemed so impossible.

bloodydrake said:
Cryptic Psychedelic said:
For a complete novice, would this game be a good first stepping stone?
Yep as long as playing something like Space Invaders or tetris, with a guitar works for you.
I disagree about this - I'm a complete novice, I've spent very little time with the minigames, and I'm at the 4th set of songs now, constantly getting better. Heck, the only minigames I have unlocked are Ducks and that slider one (I haven't tried it yet). The game doesn't force you to play the minigames to get good, and it definitely is centered around playing the songs first and foremost.

While it seems overwhelming at first, it really doesn't take long to get comfortable with things, and I find myself just naturally correcting myself. I kinda wish the game would teach about correct fingering, though, as so far all it's said is to put 4 fingers on 4 frets, and I'd rather not get in bad habits from ignorance.

Fusebox

Banned
Jinaar said:

Which is the E minor string?

Kidding, I know what you meant.

Could it be that the pickup is too low on the side of the high E string and so isn't registering properly with the tuner?

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Fusebox said:
Which is the E minor string?

Kidding, I know what you meant.

Could it be that the pickup is too low on the side of the high E string and so isn't registering properly with the tuner?

This is definitely the case with my somewhat cheap guitars, the pickups seem slightly too large, so the lower strings don't sit precisely over the metal pickup points. The sound comes out is still just fine, but depending on which set of pickups I have selected with my pickup switch, the game reacts a little differently. Playing that orange/green combination on the Kings of Leon song is almost never detected properly by the game.

Fusebox

Banned
It might be worth you guys raising the pickup slightly on the high-E side.

Start with small adjustments and then go to retune the guitar in Rocksmith and see if the high E starts registering more solidly.

pg1-300x265.png

Jinaar

Fusebox, you are indeed a savior. Before work this morning, I hooked everything up and started to raise my pickup. After a few adjustments it made a significant effect on how the game worked with the guitar, so from the bottom of my heart, thank you!

And thanks for not picking on my "E Minor". Last time I focused on Guitar 101, it was years ago, so the mind has become semi-retarded since then and I have lost most of my knowledge from that era. ^_^ Cheers again!

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
I've tried everything to get my computer speakers to work with this, but it failed.

My setup is this:

1. PS3 component cables with 3 prongs into TV, 2 component prongs left out for audio.
2. I have computer speakers with a stereo male jack for input.

The 2 PS3 prongs are put into a (2 prong -> 1 stereo male converter).
The 2 prong -> 1 stereo male converter is put into a stereo coupler (female stereo to female stereo).
The coupler connects the 2 prong -> 1 stereo male to my computer speaker stereo male jack.

No sound, any help from any audiophiles?

I haven't been doing ok with the input lag thus far.

toxicgonzo said:
I've tried everything to get my computer speakers to work with this, but it failed.

My setup is this:

1. PS3 component cables with 3 prongs into TV, 2 component prongs left out for audio.
2. I have computer speakers with a stereo male jack for input.

The 2 PS3 prongs are put into a (2 prong -> 1 stereo male converter).
The 2 prong -> 1 stereo male converter is put into a stereo coupler (female stereo to female stereo).
The coupler connects the 2 prong -> 1 stereo male to my computer speaker stereo male jack.

No sound, any help from any audiophiles?

I haven't been doing ok with the input lag thus far.

Did you change the audio configuration settings of the PS3 to use the multi-out?

Does your TV have speakers? What happens if you plug the red and white RCA plugs into it?

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Robobandit said:
Did you change the audio configuration settings of the PS3 to use the multi-out?

Does your TV have speakers? What happens if you plug the red and white RCA plugs into it?
I did mess with the audio config. settings, but I'll try that again.

Ya, my TV has speakers, but I'm trying to use my external speakers to reduce my lag.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I am getting to the point where my fingers are callused enough to really play. It is so awesome as a relative beginner getting to the bluesy songs and being able to bend the notes way up there and just kind of free-pick tremolo even when it's not part of the song and you just feel cool with all the effects and shit goin' on.

This program is becoming more amazing every time I play it. Usually, I'll play a game and whatever Achievments I get, I get. I rarley seek them. But I think with Rocksmith for the first time, earning Achievments actually means something and holds real weight. I am really getting better at guitar and I have these markers to prove it. I'm for sure going to make it one of my life goals to at least 970/1000 Rocksmith (the two player and singing achivements do nothing to improve my skills).

Maddog

So this is my third day of playing and I'm still having a blast. I've played Boys Don't Cry about 20 times today and managed to get to 97% hit on single note. Too scared for chords yet.

What's everyones song they can't stop playing?

Maddog said:
So this is my third day of playing and I'm still having a blast. I've played Boys Don't Cry about 20 times today and managed to get to 97% hit on single note. Too scared for chords yet.

"Go with the flow" is mine. I would pay cash money if they had "Don't fear the reaper" by Blue Oyster Cult and some Metalica stuff.

Ok so I started playing with my thumb instead of the pick and have noticed much better results being able to feel the next string rather than relying on just sight and estimations of where the next string should be.

I'm going to look into one of those picks that wrap around your finger that lobdale mentioned to me yesterday. Can't be having huge caluses on my gaming thumb! So thanks for that info. I imagine in time it just becomes second nature and muscle memory to just know exactly where to strum without fail.

Oh I almost forgot. I had to put the lag thing up to 150 for it to sync alright. I'm running optical through my surround sound now and I did notice a difference from hdmi but it still laged at 50. I went to 200 and that seemed too fast so 150 is the sweet spot for me it seems. I actually got a higher accuracy score at 100 but 150 just "felt" more accurate to me for some reason. This happen to anyone else?

I jumped up to Sweet Home Alabama.. that's a fun one to play, even in single note..

I've determined that my pinky is pretty much useless currently.. so I'm trying to at least use my index, middle and ring fingers on the frets.. my pinky likes to lay across all of the strings and keep me from playing any notes..

the strap slipped off and my guitar hit the coffee table tonight.. some of the lacquered finish came of of the neck.. making it look ugly in a couple spots.. at least it wasn't an expensive guitar.. just the bundled rocksmith one.. the neck looks like it is made out of particle board in some places where the finished wood covering came off.. guess they had to cut costs somewhere.

I may switch to my squier '51 beginner guitar instead.. I find it easier to wrap my hand around the neck and place my fingers on the frets without straining.

DrBo42

Maddog said:

Right now it's that Spoon song. I love that bit with the treble strings.g

Also Best Coast.

Robobandit said:
the strap slipped off and my guitar hit the coffee table tonight.. some of the lacquered finish came of of the neck.. making it look ugly in a couple spots.. at least it wasn't an expensive guitar.. just the bundled rocksmith one.. the neck looks like it is made out of particle board in some places where the finished wood covering came off.. guess they had to cut costs somewhere.
Go to the hardware store and buy #31 O-Rings. They slip (tightly) over the strap buttons and hold the strap in place.

Philthy

Really loving this. The chord modes are one of the best ways of learning chord changes EVER.

One thing that I can't seem to find in the game is a way to go back to previous events? How do I go back to the previous ones? I'd like to go back and see if I can beat my combined total event scores, etc. All I can do is "continue journey" where I am currently stuck, and select individual songs. Neither of which I really want to do.

I want to replay events! With their encores!

Help?

And what is up with Nirvana and using so many even notes rather than odd. Their songs really throw me off. Even before I got this game I noticed this. Most bands will stick with 3/5 frets but Nirvana LOVES their 2 & 4 and 2 & 6th frets. I guess that means I get to learn more!

Dude Abides

Banned
Gonna pick this up tonight. Anybody have any experience on the lag issue? I'd really rather just keep my current HDMI through the TV setup if the lag isn't really that big an issue.

Syn23

adamsappel said:
Go to the hardware store and buy #31 O-Rings. They slip (tightly) over the strap buttons and hold the strap in place.
Sorry for bothering you, I'd like to know the approximate measures of those O-Rings. The only ones I could find (here) related to #31 were 1.739 Inches/44.17mm inside diameter and 0.070 Inches/1.78mm cross section, but they seem way too large.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
You guys know you can buy Real Strap Locks right?
They're like a buck fifty, for dunlop plastic ones.
SL1S_sm_.jpg

or can get some good metal ones for 16bucks so you can fling your axe around your shoulder
DV016_Jpg_Large_360510_web_comp.jpg

Onemic

Guitar I'm using, really gotta get the dust off the headstock....

Jackson DK2 Dinky(Japanese)

GEDC0167.jpg

Can't stop playing this game...my fingers are gonna fall off by next week at this rate. I'm really hoping this game sell though, a game like this NEEDS sequels, as there's so much that can be improved.

Dude Abides said:
Gonna pick this up tonight. Anybody have any experience on the lag issue? I'd really rather just keep my current HDMI through the TV setup if the lag isn't really that big an issue.
It was bad for me through HDMI. Replays were totally off to the point that it was unplayable if you are going for any kind of score. I had to go optical and even then I had to bump the lag up to 150. Now it's a lot more on time, but it's too early to tell if occasional off parts are the game or me. Hopefully it's just me, because I do suck.

I haven't noticed a lot of lag via HDMI.. but I think that is because I have it plugged into a receiver rather than my television.

Fixed1979

Pavaloo said:
Kotaku just gave the game a really negative review. Which upsets me, cause it REALLY doesn't deserve it. :/

Meh, he bitched about the lag because he couldn't figure out to fix it and didn't like having to unlock stuff. He also mentions Rock Band 12 times throughout the review so I'm guessing he has his preference and doesn't like the changes in Rocksmith.

In the end it's a long review without much said, but I definitely agree with him when it comes to unlocking stuff and how incredibly shitty the tuner is. The tuner is so shitty it doesn't even make sense...

I did appreciate his portion of the review on the opening cinematic though...le sigh.

Pavaloo said:
Kotaku just gave the game a really negative review. Which upsets me, cause it REALLY doesn't deserve it. :/

Sounds like he didn't follow the directions because he couldn't be bothered to change his wiring setup.. and is upset over the audio lag.. (his primary issue). It's not Ubisoft's fault that TV audio processing is slow.. that's probably why they recommended a better way to hook it up.

So I got this game yesterday, and spent like 2 hours playing the thing going through the first two setlists. It was fun as hell, I just hope for some DLC soon. I'd love me some punk like NoFX, Bad Religion, The Clash or Lagwagon. Plus it's fun to mangle "In Bloom."

jgkspsx

Pavaloo said:
What a shitty site. Did you get a load of this? "large, pricey peripheral you never use"?? "its need for one hellaciously expensive piece of hardware"?? A USB cable? They clearly mean the real guitar that anybody purchasing the game presumably would have, or want to buy. What bullshit.

The review is simply invalid. I mean, it is perfectly reasonable to dock the game points for forcing you to use analog audio (at a cost of <$10, plus whatever speakers you have lying around) and to point out that it's a pain. To make it the focal point of your review without even trying the functional alternative is mind-boggling.

Fusebox

Banned
"But ultimately what you have in Rocksmith isn't a game, it's an instructor, an instructor with a peculiar way of teaching that may get you to play songs, but still not understand what you're really doing. If you're looking for something that will mechanically run you through the progressive skills it takes to learn to play something like Nirvana's In Bloom, then get this. But if you want a game give Rocksmith a pass. No."

Oh wow, that review is a joke. I wonder if they're just gagging for page hits or if they genuinely didn't get it.

"Rocksmith is just so niche… I mean, this game is only a "yes" if you want a real guitar game that will teach you to play the instrument in the context of a Rock Band-like setting"

That's me! And isn't that like, everyone in this thread?

Robobandit said:
I haven't noticed a lot of lag via HDMI.. but I think that is because I have it plugged into a receiver rather than my television.

actually, I take that back.. I didn't notice the audio lag during playing.. but I definitely saw it on the replay.

I pulled my multi-out out of the closet and connected it to my ps3.. before I play rocksmith I'll just switch the audio output and tell my receiver to look for analog audio instead of HDMI..

For my setup, I found the display lag needed to be calibrated to about 95 using the analog audio.. now the notes match up perfectly with my playing.

DrBo42

Amazing that someone could be told to pass on a title due to the fact it does as advertised. The ignorance and stupidity at Kotaku over this is astounding.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
DrBo42 said:
Amazing that someone could be told to pass on a title due to the fact it does as advertised. The ignorance and stupidity at Kotaku over this is astounding.

I deleted those wanks from my RSS feed months ago and have literally never felt better. This is the best I have ever felt in my entire life, basically because it is nice to go one whole day without being forced to read something written by a sweaty computerized animal incapable of actual insight or the synthesis of opinion and thought.

If this thread is any indication, this game is actually a conspiracy by a cabal of guitar manufacturers to get people all worked up about buying guitars again.

BigJiantRobut said:
If this thread is any indication, this game is actually a conspiracy by a cabal of guitar manufacturers to get people all worked up about buying guitars again.

You might be right.. I'm considering purchasing a nicer guitar than the one that I had.. their evil plan is working.

Pavaloo

While I don't like reading Kotaku anymore, it just upsets me that they have such a large user base that is just being filled with misinformation because the reviewer didn't setup their audio correctly. I really want this game to have longevity and support.

Top Bottom