• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith |OT| While My Guitar Gently Weeps

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
dejay said:
(edit) The more I look at that tumbs up gif the more disturbing it becomes.

Dean Winchester definitely plays a Les Paul ;-)
eye-of-the-tiger-dean-winchester-21617063-500-257.gif

I'm really tempted to pick up a cheap electric to use in place of my Line 6 Variax. Nothing wrong with the Variax, it just uses 6 AA batteries. Best Buy had (had?) the Epiphone Les Paul Jr for $119 but I see they have the Dean Vendetta XMT on sale for $100. That's got a retail price of over $200 I believe, so I'm thinking it may be the better choice. Any input?

Got a few questions answered over at Reddit:

1. The PS3 version has The Black Keys' song at $4.99, whereas in the newsletter/PR it says $2.99. Can the price error be fixed? Also, can there be a "Pack" released with all the week's track available for $6.99? That would immensely increase the buying power of DLC.

# that's a clerical error that will be fixed tomorrow. Songs should be $2.99

2. Is there a way to add "Menu Audio" level under Options? I can reduce volume of everything except for the menu. I have the game plugged in directly to my amp to completely remove audio lag but it's an AUX port so the game menu audio is VERY LOUD.

# There aren't any plans to add this at the moment - as we're working on our update we'll check the mix

3. Will the PC version be released on Steam?

# We're still working on our ideal delivery format - the issue is you need the physical Real Tone Cable to play

4. Wishlist: Is there an "effects pedal" in the work, with each pedal assigned the facebuttons, so instead of holding the controller and pressing X or O, you can stomp on the pedal and change the effect!? If not, WORK ON IT as I'll buy it, and I'm sure others will as well! It will also help when playing in PC and will make the game that much immersive.

# A few people have asked for this - I suggest trying a dance mat right now - we may add usb pedal later

5. Will there be a "drum machine/track" pack feature added/released? I would love to make this the ultimate jamming experience and it would be fun to choose the drum beats and BPM while I practice or just jam.

# This is not specifically in our plans, but could be a nice addition, I agree!

6. Comments related to my thread? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449027

# Will follow, too much to read right now!

7. DLC request oncoming! David Bowie, Nine Inch Nails, Metallica, Megadeth, Bad Religion, Eagles of Death Metal, Queens of the Stone Age, Foo Fighters, Guns N' Roses, Iron Maiden, Joy Division, Kyuss, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Smiths, Tool, TV on The Radio, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin.

But hey, I'm sure you all know about these requests and working on it! :D Thanks for the awesomeness!

# nice choices :) on the list, keep an eye on our facebook for announcements...

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
cool info
3. Will the PC version be released on Steam?

# We're still working on our ideal delivery format - the issue is you need the physical Real Tone Cable to play

hope they get it on steam and just make it a requirement to buy the tone cable for 360 or ps3 or just make it steam works but gotta buy it physical to get cable

Fusebox

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
Les Paul Melody Maker, SG Melody Maker, Flying V Melody Maker, Explorer Melody Maker, LP Junior, Flying V Faded Special, Les Paul Limited 60 Tribute, and a few others that have come and gone.

Oh yeah I forgot about the Melody Makers! You can't get those in Australia. In fact you can't get any Gibson in Australia for under $1k, just Epi's, we have a shit market for guitars unless you want a Maton or Cole Clark.

Schlomo

Is this game doing good? I ordered from PlanetAxel on October 24th, and today I get this:

We're writing you with an update on Rocksmith.

We're currently being told by our suppliers that Rocksmith is expected in stock at the end of the month. The demand is very high for this product and we're trying our best to source any stock, but please do not expect your order to ship before the end of the month.

We will of course be shipping on a first come, first serve basis as per usual with all orders and pre-orders.

We apologize for the wait and appreciate your patience.

Kind regards, Team PlanetAxel www.PlanetAxel.com

With the publisher moaning about the metacritic score I thought it had bombed.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Schlomo said:
Is this game doing good? I ordered from PlanetAxel on October 24th, and today I get this:

With the publisher moaning about the metacritic score I thought it had bombed.

was that for the game only or the bundle(guitar one)? It might be doing better then projected..which would be great

Stimpy

I got the same email from PlanetAxel, I've ordered just the game, it must be doing better than they expected if it's going to be a month before more stock can be sourced.

Bl4ckSunsh1n3 said:
I really like RockSmith's way of doing it. When I was playing Dawn of the Chordead some of the chords I still got right when playing them differently than the suggested fingering. It's the same tones so it should be right.

this is true some of the time. But if they ask you to play a high E and you play an open E, a lot of times they won't give it to you.

Maddog said:
DLC on 11/15 - “Smoke On The Water” Deep Purple, “More Than A Feeling” Boston, “Jessica” The Allman Brothers Band.

Ouch.

dejay

Banned
Good news is my copy of the game is en-route to me, currently in some LA processing centre.

Bad news is:
As soon as we receive the next order of these guitars from Epiphone we will ship it to you. They should be here in about two weeks according to the vendor's ETA.
From the language they were using in previous correspondence I was under the impression they had them in stock, ready to ship. They've got my money now so I'm not gonna try and source one from somewhere else.

So, I'll be staring at the game cover for two weeks :(

(edit) It's my own damn fault - the website has them listed as "coming soon" :forehead slap:

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
dejay said:
Good news is my copy of the game is en-route to me, currently in some LA processing centre.

Bad news is:

From the language they were using in previous correspondence I was under the impression they had them in stock, ready to ship. They've got my money now so I'm not gonna try and source one from somewhere else.

So, I'll be staring at the game cover for two weeks :(

(edit) It's my own damn fault - the website has them listed as "coming soon" :forehead slap:

Long and Mcquade didn't have them listed as avail when I got mine either. I had a tech check new stock and their warehouse in Mississauga showed as in stock so he got one sent to the store.
I think they're just getting them out now to alot of places.
Good Luck tho hope its sooner then later

qwerty2k

My PS3 just broken when playing Rocksmith, single beep followed by continuous red flashing light, anyone know how to fix it? or at least get my disc back?

Syn23

Have you tried restarting it with the button on the console (not the one on pad)?
What you described seems the typical freeze behaviour.

qwerty2k

yeah tried restarting it but it just keeps beeping red :(, need to get locksmith back as it's imported from canada so not easy to get again :(, gonna lose my saved progress as well so gonna have to start from the beginning again :(

The Boat

Damnit I was gonna order this now from PlanetAxel and it's out of stock? Bah! I have my PS3 sound coming out separately from the HDMI, but it's going into my PC and out of the PC speakers, should I expect lag?

bloodydrake said:
cool info

hope they get it on steam and just make it a requirement to buy the tone cable for 360 or ps3 or just make it steam works but gotta buy it physical to get cable
Yeah. You can buy the cable for $30 on it's own. Getting this for $30 or less on Steam would be ideal since I already own the cable.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
ok Angela could quite possibly be the worst song i've ever heard in my life..
sitting midway thru 6th Tier and trying to qualify for this stupid song is kicking my ass.
After the 4th or 5th try i realised it greatly improves if you mute the game.
Horrible Horrible song.

Philthy

Tonner Cyn said:
I'm really tempted to pick up a cheap electric to use in place of my Line 6 Variax. Nothing wrong with the Variax, it just uses 6 AA batteries. Best Buy had (had?) the Epiphone Les Paul Jr for $119 but I see they have the Dean Vendetta XMT on sale for $100. That's got a retail price of over $200 I believe, so I'm thinking it may be the better choice. Any input?

People have been really having a love affair with the Epiphones as of late. There is a lot of contention on that the build quality has been improved to the point where the mid range Epiphone Gibson copies are better than the Gibsons themselves due to really poor QA in the USA plants. I don't play either brand, but I follow the discussions.

I personally own an LTD M-10 which runs about $150, and put in Seymour Duncan hot rodded humbuckers. It is light, feels great, and sounds great. I also own an American Fender Stratocaster. I love both, and wouldn't want to give up either.

One thing that applies to all guitars is sitting down with it, and just feeling it out. Does it feel good in your hands? Is the weight okay? Is the neck comfortable? Too thick? Too thin?

Even as a beginner you should be able to have an idea after just putzing with 5-10 guitars. Find something cheap to make your own. Don't be afraid to mod it, and learn on it. Bang on it, shred it.

dejay

Banned
I've been reading good things about the games that develop chord changing and scales - something I found a chore just learning on my own, so I look forward to that.

The Boat said:
Damnit I was gonna order this now from PlanetAxel and it's out of stock? Bah!
Hmm, the game is out of stock in Play-Asia too (again). Interesting! Hope it bodes well for the sales.

I'm going to buy two DLC songs next week to give more money to the Rocksmith team!

The Boat said:
I have my PS3 sound coming out separately from the HDMI, but it's going into my PC and out of the PC speakers, should I expect lag?
You shouldn't, I think (by "separately from the HDMI" you mean you're using an analog cable PS3-PC, right?).

Frankly, I don't feel that much lag (maybe a little bit, maybe), even though I'm using HDMI-only solution. Must be because I never played guitar before. :)

jgkspsx said:
International support act. Also, OK, I learned. (Take Me Out is an excellent choice.)
Congrats, man!! Hope I'd reach that level someday.

The Boat

LOVE & TRUTH said:
You shouldn't, I think (by "separately from the HDMI" you mean you're using an analog cable PS3-PC, right?).

Frankly, I don't feel that much lag (maybe a little bit, maybe), even though I'm using HDMI-only solution. Must be because I never played guitar before. :)
Yeah, I have composite cables and and adapter to hook it up to the PC.

Any suggestions on a CHEAP pickup for an acoustic guitar? My only guitar is an acoustic and the only thing I will ever use the pickup for is Rocksmith. And I'm on a very tight budget right now.

Stimpy

For anyone still looking to import this videogamesplus.ca has just shipped my copy and it's still showing as being in stock.

DJ_Tet

Banned
shagg_187 said:
Yeah. You can buy the cable for $30 on it's own. Getting this for $30 or less on Steam would be ideal since I already own the cable.

That's what I'm hoping for. Going to grab this for a console and then hopefully double dip on a steam sale for some good mods.

Is there a concensus on if the PS3 or 360 version is better? I'm leaning PS3 since I have two consoles (more practice time, vs having to share the 360 with our main TV.)

However, I would lean towards 360 for the DLC since I can get those points on sale more often. Anyone know if there is a major difference between the two console versions or should I just grab the PS3 version so I can practice in my bedroom?

abq

Is the PC version still set for Christmas (or 13 December)? The fact that they are "still working on [their] ideal delivery format" is a bit alarming.

Epcott

Picked this up today for the PS3, really loving it!

I've been practicing and trying to memorize open cords and power cords for months prior to this... became too busy for a few months, and forgot all of the finger placements. I'm not sure if I was either too busy or just bored by tedious memorization.

In the first few hours of playing Rocksmith, I've played a single note song from the Rolling Stones over and over, and got the hang of it (somewhat). It was strange, at first, I was pretty bad. I had to sit down and play, look at the fret numbers and string I was playing. By the 3rd and 4th play through, my fingers would glide along as if they knew which fret was which without me even looking. It was a strange feeling.

Then I played an awesome game of Ducks, and I guess subconsciously it's finally clicking because I was blasting ducks after a moment, without needing to look at the frets. Eventually, I bought Radiohead's Bodysnatchers (in hopes to play in down the road).

This makes learning so much more entertaining and less of a chore.

I hate to admit it, but even though I bought MGS: HD Collection today and have been looking forward to playing Peace Walker online for a year, I'm having much more fun with this. I'm sorry Snake, I've let you down. I would salute you but my fingers are killing me.

Sorry for the blog, GAF. I'm just in awe with this game :D

dejay

Banned
The game turned up at work today - pretty much a two day delivery from Amazon to Sydney, which was super quick. I just fired it up and yeah, the intro and the two screens I was able to access were pretty good. Can't wait until I get a guitar for it!

Anyway, I dusted my acoustic off, tuned it up and I tried to play along to a couple of tracks on youtube. I found the interface to be quite workable, although I think I'll need to give that ducks game a good workout to get used to matching the fretting hand to the on screen prompts. I'll noodle around with my acoustic until my guitar turns up to toughen my fingers up again.

I have almost mastered the riff from Surf Hell. I feel like a god! Thank you, Rocksmith!

(been playing guitar for two weeks, playing Rocksmith for three days)

As someone who has never played a guitar but wants to learn how beginer friendly is the game?
Does it go over the notes and what they are, or does it expect you to know the basics?

Eyemus Lutt said:
As someone who has never played a guitar but wants to learn how beginer friendly is the game?
Does it go over the notes and what they are, or does it expect you to know the basics?
The game is overwhelming at first (that is, playing a guitar is very overwhelming - at least for me :)), but it is very beginner-friendly. My wife started playing too and enjoys it a lot, just strumming along with "I can't get no satisfaction".

The game does not tell you what notes you're playing, but why would you want to know that in the first place? :-D

jgkspsx

Bodysnatchers is a good beginner song, IMO. Clean and easily audible lines for both parts, limited group of hand positions, difficulty scales up in a linear way. Recommended, especially if you like the song.

This has pretty much destroyed my desire to play RB Pro Guitar anymore, though. I never liked the vertical orientation of the guitar neck in any of the GH/RB games, and dealing with a full fretboard it's just intolerable, especially with this to compare it to. Oh well.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Yep, PS3 version it is :)

edit: Ahh it's valid for both, damn, still think I'll go PS3 just so I can practice in the bedroom and the front.

Can't wait to join in on the fun, so glad this game is getting such rave reviews from real guitar players. Hopefully it does well enough for a sequel or at least a lot of DLC.

Mungular

i just played this tonight and all i can say is wow. this is fantastic. a great learning tool and really fun to play. ive been playing guitar for a while now, but my buddy wanted to give it a go, and its great for everyone beginners to experts. i was really impressed by the amount of content in it. theres the main game, challenges, a free play mode, and so much other stuff. this is well worth the money

The Albatross said:
this is true some of the time. But if they ask you to play a high E and you play an open E, a lot of times they won't give it to you.

By high E do you mean 5th fret on the B string? If so and open E (I'm guessing this is the high E string) doesn't register then you are out of tune. If you have problems on higher E notes (for example the 12th fret on the high E string) then your intonation might need adjusted.

I haven't had a problem with it registering tones correctly yet.

tsab

I know it may be asked before, but can I use the optical output of the PS3 instead of composite/component for the sound? It's not mentioned in the OP.
Will I have audio lag (HDMI for picture)?

I am thinking of importing the NTSC version.

toymachine said:
I can't find Smoke On The Water in the PSN Store. :( Bought "More Than A Feeling", but no luck with the Smoke. Region-coded DLC? Strange. Will try again tonight.

tsab said:
I know it may be asked before, but can I use the optical output of the PS3 instead of composite/component for the sound? It's not mentioned in the OP.
Yes, you can. It will have more lag than the composite/component solution, but will still better than the HDMI-only solution.

People from GameFAQs confirm this - there's no "Smoke On The Water" for PS3. Nice one, Ubisoft. Enjoying your hats full of moneys?

fuckers

From RockSmith's Facebook page:

For those wondering about the DLC on PS3 and the missing Deep Purple track: We’re pushing to have Smoke On The Water live on PSN by mid-December. Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for your continued support!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
tsab said:

I am thinking of importing the NTSC version.

Not all optical devices are equal. My Sony receiver uses optical and has a half-second uncorrectable lag with the game. HDMI had none.

Top Bottom