• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith |OT| While My Guitar Gently Weeps

qwerty2k

if i have a usa account is the best way to get the dlc to buy a use psn card? (my usual account is uk), or can i buy it with my uk account? (my disc is stuck in my old ps3 atm so can't check)

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
welp finally got to Level 7 International Support Act.
Still having fun,I know I should do more minigames and stuff for general skills improvements but for the time I have to play practicing songs is enough for now.

Anyone know how many Levels there are in the progression?

qwerty2k said:
if i have a usa account is the best way to get the dlc to buy a use psn card? (my usual account is uk), or can i buy it with my uk account? (my disc is stuck in my old ps3 atm so can't check)
DLC is region locked, so you'd have to use a US account to buy the DLC.

DrBo42

So I've been totally skipping over the Tom Petty track in this game...holy fuck was that a mistake. Bluesy and awesome.

DrBo42

bloodydrake said:
Still having fun,I know I should do more minigames and stuff for general skills improvements but for the time I have to play practicing songs is enough for now.

It's pretty cool to get to around 6 or 7 and then revisit a minigame you've played earlier. I had some trouble with ducks when I first started the game but now I'm doing pretty well. It's nice to see your progress outside of a song by song basis.

bloodydrake said:

I think level 11 is the top.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
cool four more levels will take me a while since I'm at that point where progressing takes real improvment and seems to need me to get 70000 on each song or better

bloodydrake said:
cool four more levels will take me a while since I'm at that point where progressing takes real improvment and seems to need me to get 70000 on each song or better
You must be a pretty good guitarist then.

All I can do is dream of the day I reach level 7.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Dark Octave said:
You must be a pretty good guitarist then.

All I can do is dream of the day I reach level 7.

I've been casually learning strumming open chord songs for a couple years..my aspirations have been . " I want to be able to pull out the acoustic and play along or play solo songs when we're camping." I'm pretty much at that point..

This game has allowed me to reassess those aspirations, too learn lead and rhythm for more rock songs that help me move away from the first 4 frets of the guitar..

I'm an old fucker,so if your a young person I'm sure the learning will be way faster.

Just be open to doing poorly to start with and don't let external pressures stop you from trying.. there's a wonderful freedom in playing music as well as not letting others expectations dictate your pace.

Alot of my musician friends shake their heads at how analytical my learning process is..but that's cuz I've been a computer guy for 25years.
I try and listen to their advice and just accept..i'm gonna learn to play music differently then they did..and thats ok cuz in the end we're both loving the music.

genjiZERO

huh, I think I'll have to pick this up once the price drops. I guess I'm intermediate in real life, but I think this could be useful for practicing and forcing myself to learn songs. And alsov forcing myself to play electric - probably 90% of my playing is acoustic. My electric is a Telecaster Thinline. Great song lists too. Although I'd like to see more Jonny Greenwood solos!

King_Moc

Banned
Waiting for the PC version to come to the UK. Which will probably never happen :(

Does the Rock Band 3 guitar work ok with this?

jgkspsx

King_Moc said:
Does the Rock Band 3 guitar work ok with this?
It does, but that plastic fretboard has a limited lifespan. Do you really want to shorten it if you ultimately plan to get a normal electric guitar anyway?

Since RB doesn't handle bends, it's less stressful on the frets, as well.

King_Moc

Banned
It does, but that plastic fretboard has a limited lifespan. Do you really want to shorten it if you ultimately plan to get a normal electric guitar anyway?

Thanks, might looking into getting something else cheap then.

DrBo42

genjiZERO said:
huh, I think I'll have to pick this up once the price drops. I guess I'm intermediate in real life, but I think this could be useful for practicing and forcing myself to learn songs. And alsov forcing myself to play electric - probably 90% of my playing is acoustic. My electric is a Telecaster Thinline. Great song lists too. Although I'd like to see more Jonny Greenwood solos!
Until then, youtube.com/warrenmusic. So good.

NEO0MJ

jgkspsx said:

Since RB doesn't handle bends, it's less stressful on the frets, as well.

Other way around. Does a normal guitar work with Rock Band 3 when using Rocksmith's adapt?

Onemic

We should do a GAF leaderboard or something stating the levels we're currently at in the OP, just so everyone has a little bit more motivation in getting better and adding a little bit of fun competition as well.

I'm currently at lvl 6 and most songs now require me to get 40k plus. I've gotten 100k in 2 songs so far as well.(Go With The Flow and When I'm With You) Come at me bros. Although I'm still terrible at guitar I can definitely see a huge improvement from when I bought the game to now.

I'm comin for ya Bloodydrake!

jgkspsx

Should be level 7 after my next concert. Unfortunately, I'm hitting songs I don't really like now. Slither. Blech.

I have been pleasantly surprised by songs I didn't know. We Share The Same Skies and Step Out of the Car are both really cool. I may have to get something by those bands.

So, as a novice who wants to learn guitar... anyone suggest this for learning.. or...?
I don't know how it would be for learning from scratch, but it's certainly great for learning riffs in an interactive way. It's one of the most enjoyable practice tools I've ever had, that's for sure.

Stimpy

Just got my import copy yesterday, spent a few hours playing with it and had a blast, it may not seem like the greatest setlist just looking at the list but they have picked some really great songs to play.

I will say though that not allowing you to manually adjust the speed when using the riff repeater and also giving you 5 lives to practice them before failing seems like an odd decision, I hope they can patch both of those issues.

For anyone that has imported it where do you buy your psn cards? I really want to get some of the DLC particularly Bodysnatchers, love that song.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Should be level 7 after my next concert. Unfortunately, I'm hitting songs I don't really like now. Slither. Blech.
ya i hit that Angela song in the 5th or 6th and fucking hate it.. ended up muting the volume to finish it. shitty shitty song.

I know you can customize the set-lists as they show up but I've been trying to give them all a fair shake and truthfully songs that on first listen I have no interest in have turned out to be fun to play.

A Part of me wants to pick just my favourites and master them but I figure I'll do that once I max out the game progress.

ismaboof

I don't have any audio system at all. I have a PS3 and a TV connected via HDMI. If I use the cable that came with my ps3 (which I assume is component) to connect to the TV, will Rocksmith lag?

Syn23

I don't have any audio system at all. I have a PS3 and a TV connected via HDMI. If I use the cable that came with my ps3 (which I assume is component) to connect to the TV, will Rocksmith lag?

If you mean this one, it isn't a component cable. It is a composite cable.
I use that to connect my PS3 to my audio system, while my tv is connected via HDMI.

I'm not sure it will improve anything over HDMI, if the audio still comes out of your television.
Also, it will limit the resolution you can use to 576i, which is really bad (apparently, as I read here, in NTSC regions the limit would be even lower, 480i).

The best option is using HDMI to connect PS3 to your television, and at the same time that composite cable to connect PS3 to any kind of audio system. Even an old hi-fi system would do the job.

dejay

Banned
I'm using a decent low-end computer audio 2.1 system now. I think I paid $55 for it.

This is a good point. You can get pretty robust PS 2.1 speakers for a good price. Logitech have some reasonably prices offerings - I'm sure there's more like it.

I will say though that not allowing you to manually adjust the speed when using the riff repeater and also giving you 5 lives to practice them before failing seems like an odd decision, I hope they can patch both of those issues.
I really hope so too! Now the riff repeater is almost unusable because of this. :(

For anyone that has imported it where do you buy your psn cards? I really want to get some of the DLC particularly Bodysnatchers, love that song.
I've bought a $20 PSN code from Play-Asia. Yes, it costs a lot ($28 or something).

My setup is exactly PS3->HDMI->TV and Rocksmith doesn't lag at all.

.... or I don't know how to measure lag... (newbie guitarist here)

I'm currently level 7. I just beat the 5,000,000+ in the tremolo game and am closing in on my 50,000,000 for scale runner. Some of the songs have gotten kind of meh to me so I've been playing the mini games a little bit. I will try every song once but, about 1/3 of them that's all I'm putting into them.

I need metal DLC.

Okay, I'm thinking I might just get a guitar and the game separate.

if I buy the game, all I need os a guitar, no other wires, right?

Can someone recommend me a solid guitar? Preferably from amazon? They never have the bundle in stock and I have a lot of amazon points begging to be used.

This Epiphone is nice.

If you get it, you either want to get a starter pack (picks, strap, case, etc) or you'll want to buy some picks and a strap. You really don't need the strap unless you plan on standing any but, I play 50/50 up and down so I have to have one.

Just picked up the bundle version from best buy for 360.

I have always wanted to pick up the guitar and felt like I was wasting my time improving my skill on fake guitars rock band/guitar hero. I have no experience with any musical instrument so I know its going to be a challenge

The only issue I have had so far is when your doing good it will ramp up the difficulty by asking you to do things you haven't been taught by the game yet, then after the song it will suggest doing the challenge to learn said skill. It would be better if they forced you to do it before the song.

Any way I'm having a blast with it.

jgkspsx

Level 8. The next three will be much harder, though. I may need DLC to make it :|

I'm pretty OK at this, then. But I can't get anywhere with the arcade games. The achievement scores are way, way higher than I have scored. It seemed like hardly anyone on the leaderboards was surpassing them either.

374593_10150379899087273_718637272_8520380_394678739_n.jpg

hehe

Ricker

Still having a hard time with this....for example,I can probably play in Bloom pretty well now without the game but if I play the game, the looking at the note coming down and going back and forth looking at the guitar is hard as hell for me...can't seem to get use to that so i'm not unlocking any Amp stuff...if I buy the DLC amp stuff will I be able to have/use all the amp sounds without advancing the songs?

I don't know if this has been answered yet but... I already have my guitar hooked up through my PC via a sound card (don't have room for an amp so I use Guitar Rig instead) and want to get Rocksmith for PC when it's released, will I absolutely need the USB adapter or will my current setup be fine? It's not really a big deal, but it'd be annoying to switch between my sound card and the adapter every time I want to play.

if I buy the DLC amp stuff will I be able to have/use all the amp sounds without advancing the songs?

You get 50 pedals and all of the amps unlocked with it. I bought it because this girl was over at my house and wanted me to play some Ozzy and I hadn't unlocked an amp that would give me that sound yet...so to save face I quickly put in the $5 and got my sound I needed. Lame, I know but, oh well.

Ricker

You get 50 pedals and all of the amps unlocked with it. I bought it because this girl was over at my house and wanted me to play some Ozzy and I hadn't unlocked an amp that would give me that sound yet...so to save face I quickly put in the $5 and got my sound I needed. Lame, I know but, oh well.

Cool thanks.

Philthy

How could i have missed this game?

Will this work with a D-Tuned guitar?

I`ll use this as my axe:

Most songs require standard tuning, but some also have you do drop D. So you will have to adjust your E string depending on the song. Not a big deal, takes a few seconds.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Most songs require standard tuning, but some also have you do drop D. So you will have to adjust your E string depending on the song. Not a big deal, takes a few seconds.
A shame, i hoped you could auto transport the songs...since my main guitar is tuned one whole step down on all strings - and floyd rose systems are a bitch to tune.

Well, my old yamaha it is then.

Top Bottom