• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith |OT| While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Falagard

Still having a hard time with this....for example,I can probably play in Bloom pretty well now without the game but if I play the game, the looking at the note coming down and going back and forth looking at the guitar is hard as hell for me...can't seem to get use to that so i'm not unlocking any Amp stuff...if I buy the DLC amp stuff will I be able to have/use all the amp sounds without advancing the songs?

Try learning the song in sections using Riff repeater, and then ignore the notes coming down and just play to the music, only use the notes as a reminder of what riff you should be playing.

For riff repeater use Leveler until you level up to a part where you can't get past, then use Accelerator to slow down the part you're having problems with.

Though... with Leveler I wish that you could tell it Level Up / Level Down a section even if you haven't hit all the notes, and with Accelerator you could tell it to play at a specific speed rather than it "calculating" the speed for you.

dejay

Banned
Seems my Epi Les Paul Ultra III got delayed a couple of times. I was really bummed because I thought I was going to get into it and the game weeks ago. So I did the only logical thing a man waiting for a Les Paul would do - went out and bought a second hand Strat'.

uCSXo.jpg

A 2001 Mexican to be more precise. The picture doesn't do it justice, that visible line in the wood grain is barely noticeable in real life. I probably paid a bit too much for it but I thought to myself "fuck it, I'm not gonna go home without a guitar today" so off I went. Bought it in the second store I walked into. I've had some stressful, tough weeks and this managed to put a smile on my face. I'll replace the pickguard in the nearish future, but overall it's in good condition.

Anyway, finally got to play the game. Played it until I started to get worse at it, if that makes sense. I like it a lot, and the sense of progression is pretty good, with extra notes coming down as a reward and as a new challenge. I can understand the often mentioned gripes with the interface though - it's weird and annoying. Also the ducks game seemed to work really well on the three plays I gave it.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Seems my Epi Les Paul Ultra III got delayed a couple of times. I was really bummed because I thought I was going to get into it and the game weeks ago. So I did the only logical thing a man waiting for a Les Paul would do - went out and bought a second hand Strat'.

uCSXo.jpg

grats man!

dejay

Banned
Thanks man. I promised myself I wouldn't mess with the guitar for a while, but I've already had the neck off and I'm off to the store this morning to get an allen keys to adjust the saddle height :)

The game is great. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in guitar. It has it's faults, but for a first effort I think it's really well done.

Avid guitarist here. (username:duh) How well does this work? Is it clunky and does it mess up a lot, or does it read what you're playing pretty well? I'd love to give this a shot.

EDIT- Oh...and for sake of the thread...I'll be playing this with my 2004 Musicman Petrucci.

I too am a pretty avid guitarist and gamer and I enjoy Rocksmith. It's fun to put it in the PS3, crank up my audio system, and wail.

It reads what you play decently. The tone based recognition has worked well for me. I had lag using HDMI but, I swapped my audio set up to be the preferred one in the manual...it also turned out to be 1,000 times better across all games for me so I consider it a win.

The only thing I'll say is that the song selection is not super "up my alley." I'm a big fan of metal (I learned to play guitar after listening to the Cowboys From Hell album the first time), across all metal genres, and the game lacks any metal songs at all. Other genres are represented pretty well though. There are some nice bluesy type songs, some good alt-rock, etc. Supposedly soon there will be some DLC that satisfies the metal heads.

Falagard

Avid guitarist here. (username:duh) How well does this work? Is it clunky and does it mess up a lot, or does it read what you're playing pretty well? I'd love to give this a shot.

EDIT- Oh...and for sake of the thread...I'll be playing this with my 2004 Musicman Petrucci.

Are you talking about whether it registers what you are playing correctly? It works fine, I don't have any problems and that includes hammer-ons and bends, although it can't really tell if you hammer on/off or if you play both notes.

The game is super fun - I highly suggest buying it if you are into playing guitar already. I've been playing guitar for a long time (19 years), but would consider myself only intermediate. I like using it simply as a fun way to learn new songs (Sweet Home Alabama was a blast to learn the main riffs).

I too am a pretty avid guitarist and gamer and I enjoy Rocksmith. It's fun to put it in the PS3, crank up my audio system, and wail.

It reads what you play decently. The tone based recognition has worked well for me. I had lag using HDMI but, I swapped my audio set up to be the preferred one in the manual...it also turned out to be 1,000 times better across all games for me so I consider it a win.

The only thing I'll say is that the song selection is not super "up my alley." I'm a big fan of metal, across all metal genres, and the game lacks any metal songs at all. Other genres are represented pretty well though. There are some nice bluesy type songs, some good alt-rock, etc. Supposedly soon there will be some DLC that satisfies the metal heads.

Thats a big thing for me. Even though I know it will take A LONG time and practice to play it right, the though of playing metal gives me the weirdest boner.

Are you talking about whether it registers what you are playing correctly? It works fine, I don't have any problems and that includes hammer-ons and bends, although it can't really tell if you hammer on/off or if you play both notes.

The game is super fun - I highly suggest buying it if you are into playing guitar already. I've been playing guitar for a long time (19 years), but would consider myself only intermediate. I like using it simply as a fun way to learn new songs (Sweet Home Alabama was a blast to learn the main riffs).

Yeah. I play a LOT already (20+ hours a week) and love the guitar more than anything else, so an excuse to play even more is always a welcome thing to me. It'll mainly be a way to learn cover songs for my band as well as practice 'rocking out' and stage presence.

I bought this yesterday from the Amazon Black Friday sale. I have an old Epiphone E335 Dot Special guitar that I'm going to play with. I'm really hoping they add bass guitar soon, though. That's what I'm really interested in.

Zeliard

I bought this yesterday from the Amazon Black Friday sale. I have an old Epiphone E335 Dot Special guitar that I'm going to play with. I'm really hoping they add bass guitar soon, though. That's what I'm really interested in.

Ditto. Bass support would be great.

I've had this thing for about a month and it's quite enjoyable. Very responsive running the audio through a separate sound system via analog, and the amp is impressive.

Ramma2

Any concerns about the soon to be released PC version? I have a 360 but I think I would spend more time with it on the PC.

DrBo42

Just crushed "Step Out of the Car" in master mode. As someone that couldn't play a whole song of anything, feels good.

zychi

Banned
Well, I just ordered the game and a pickup for my Washburn D11. Hope it works and is fun!

(And teaches me a thing or two)

I am a complete guitar noob. I have a cheap "beginners" acoustic that I got as a gift, would whatever this pickup thing is let me use it for this game?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
thought it was gonna be songs every two weeks? wont' that be a month since the last bunch?

so metal was announced and was all
tumblr_lkhf0u4gIn1qchk5l.gif

then saw megadeath exclusively? and was like
facepalm.gif

thought it was gonna be songs every two weeks? wont' that be a month since the last bunch?

so metal was announced and was all

then saw megadeath exclusively? and was like

Everyone in this thread knew it was going to be Megadeth though. Oh and DLC is every two weeks. Today they will release:

“Cousins” by Vampire Weekend
“20th Century Boy” by T. Rex
“I Hate Everything About You” by Three Days Grace

FUCK YES! I love playing Symphony since it's a great way of knowing whether your guitar is tuned or not lol. This is going to be fun as I always wanted to learn the solo! :D

THE SECOND ITS RELEASE IM BUYING THE BUNDLE FOR SURE!!

IVE BEEN WANTING TO LEARN HANGER 18 FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jgkspsx

I bought the Best Coast album on the strength of When I'm With You. That song, a bonus track on the album as it happens, is about the only strength of the album :(

Top Bottom