• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith |OT| While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Yeah, usually does, though not all peripherals. Amazon.de can also be a good source. There are generally also quite a few 'local' online stores that have these things.

alazz

Really hope I can pick this up when it comes out for PC, but damn $80 is pretty pricey. I downloaded the demo to see if my Guitar Rig small i/o would work for it; nope! Maybe I'll wait for specials or black friday, but I have a feeling this game isn't going to have too strong of a retail presence.

Some jazz rock tunes would be pretty great, because they're usually on the difficult side of rock pieces. It'd be groovy to get some early Steely Dan or some Frank Zappa.

$80? I think the PC version is like 45 euro here, cable included, which should be around $60 at most for the PC version. Perhaps shop around a bit more? I paid 65 euro for the PS3 version myself.

I just spent some time yesterday unlocking the amp award from Cream (which means score above 70%), very satisfying.

I love this game. I will definitely spend the time to master the songs, and the upshot of mastering them, is that I actually can play the song. I have some kind of guitar/band training every other week. We normally do jazz jam sessions, but it will be pretty cool to come there and play a Muse or Cream song, especially as the drummer and bass player there can basically play along to anything.

I put the game down for a while, as I really want to play bass. So the bass expansion comes out and I say no, gotta watch my finances, I'll get a bass guitar later. Now I look up, and they're bringing a bunch of Rush songs? Damn you Rocksmith. Gonna force my hand, are you?

Wait, the bass pack is out?? Off to my ps3 if so

The EU version actually comes with the Bass pack included, and I played some of that with my guitar in 'bass-sim mode' ... so yeah ... ;) I like that it actually says when a song should be picked, and when it should be plucked.

For now having a blast with just the guitar part though ... really cool to actually learn to play real, new songs. This is better than guitar lessons in some part, because I get to practice much more efficiently.

I also just tried the first three technique challenges, and these do actually teach you how to play quite well, and are good exercises to come back too. They're actually useful to me as a refresher and training, and I certainly intend to master all of them (some of them I get a 100.000 score quite quickly, but some of them I actually have to work at it a bit - they make the highest level of playing interesting enough)

Still playing, now level 6 I think ... (national headliner). Enjoying this immensely. While I will definitely continue playing the PS3 version (for the trophies alone ;) ) I think I will double dip for the PC version, just to support the game, and then at some point I'll have to decide what version I'm going to buy DLC songs for I guess. But I'm thinking the PC version will be more enjoyable for the more difficult songs and playing the bonus games at a high difficulty. We'll see. Did I read right that pre-ordering on Steam gets you beta access and allow you to play the full game? Could be interesting.

EDIT: yes it does, and I'm done downloading the 12GB now ... :) WIll report

Ok, my first test has been with hooking up the PC with HDMI to the TV that my PS3 is also hooked up to. In these conditions, the PC loses from the PS3 version big-time because lag is worse, and seems a little instable. Could be a beta-issue of course, but I've played them back to back, and in comparison the PS3 feels completely lag-free and I preferred it immensely over the PC version.

I'll try again tonight or tomorrow plugging in headphones directly into the PC to see if that improves matters.

Thrakier

So guys, I gonna buy this. I started playing guitar 4 weeks ago, it's a coincidence that I read about this game just now. Sounds great. Is it good for a beginner as an additional teaching instrument?

King_Moc

Banned
Ok, my first test has been with hooking up the PC with HDMI to the TV that my PS3 is also hooked up to. In these conditions, the PC loses from the PS3 version big-time because lag is worse, and seems a little instable. Could be a beta-issue of course, but I've played them back to back, and in comparison the PS3 feels completely lag-free and I preferred it immensely over the PC version.

I'll try again tonight or tomorrow plugging in headphones directly into the PC to see if that improves matters.

I've got the pc version. The only method to get rid of lag that I've found is to use analogue cables. Also, bear in mind that some gaming soundcards introduce lag due to the post processing. I have an asus stx essence and have to run the cables from the motherboard instead.

I've got the pc version. The only method to get rid of lag that I've found is to use analogue cables. Also, bear in mind that some gaming soundcards introduce lag due to the post processing. I have an asus stx essence and have to run the cables from the motherboard instead.

Would you say that it is completely lag free? I'm running standard stereo speakers with my onboard Realtek chip, but I'm using the jack on the front of my case (haven't tried those in the rear - but that shouldn't make a difference, right?). I can definitely notice some tiny bit of lag when playing fast songs. I also noticed that the lag seems to be mostly gone when simply playing on a loading screen - so maybe it has something to do with how they post-process the sound to simulate the amps.

I think I have made all the necessary settings in my OS (e.g., same sampling rate for recording and playback device), so it must have something to do with the program. Maybe they can fix this after the beta ...

Would you say that it is completely lag free? I'm running standard stereo speakers with my onboard Realtek chip, but I'm using the jack on the front of my case (haven't tried those in the rear - but that shouldn't make a difference, right?). I can definitely notice some tiny bit of lag when playing fast songs. I also noticed that the lag seems to be mostly gone when simply playing on a loading screen - so maybe it has something to do with how they post-process the sound to simulate the amps.

I think I have made all the necessary settings in my OS (e.g., same sampling rate for recording and playback device), so it must have something to do with the program. Maybe they can fix this after the beta ...

I've also just tested again using the jag on the front of the case, and now it is pretty much lag-free. The most lag you see now is actually the small delay for the game to confirm you've played the right note and played it correctly.

When I play using the built in amps, it has even less lag than the PS3 had, it's pretty much direct. I only got the impression that the timing between seeing you've played a note correctly and playing the note itself is bigger on the PC, but that may well be simply because the response from the guitar to your headphone is also smaller.

So pretty happy with the PC version now and I can recommend it to anyone. I think as long as you use the analog output on the front (or back) of your PC, you'll very likely be fine and able to play this game.

King_Moc

Banned

I've also just tested again using the jag on the front of the case, and now it is pretty much lag-free. The most lag you see now is actually the small delay for the game to confirm you've played the right note and played it correctly.

When I play using the built in amps, it has even less lag than the PS3 had, it's pretty much direct. I only got the impression that the timing between seeing you've played a note correctly and playing the note itself is bigger on the PC, but that may well be simply because the response from the guitar to your headphone is also smaller.

So pretty happy with the PC version now and I can recommend it to anyone. I think as long as you use the analog output on the front (or back) of your PC, you'll very likely be fine and able to play this game.

The absolute minimum amount of lag according to the developers is 30ms. It's noticeable, but not enough to put you off, i find.

PBVGX.png

mash440

Neo Member
I just bought it on PS3. Didn't realise it was on PC too till after I opened it.

I got the cable at least though... :)

The load times on the PS3 version are awful though. It's so slow to load up, and half the time, the guitar gets muted.

I'm using it with a G&L American Legacy Strat. I've found it's a lot better at detecting the power chords if you roll the bass off.

I just bought it on PS3. Didn't realise it was on PC too till after I opened it.

I got the cable at least though... :)

The load times on the PS3 version are awful though. It's so slow to load up, and half the time, the guitar gets muted.

I'm using it with a G&L American Legacy Strat. I've found it's a lot better at detecting the power chords if you roll the bass off.

I have and played both versions, and am really surprised at people complaining about the load-times. No doubt they could be better, but these small breaks between playing are good for you. ;) They really don't bother me in the least.

Pookmunki

Got my eu copy this morning, looking forward to getting on it tonight after not playing for 6 or so years after my band dissolved. Cleaned, restrung and played a bit last night in prep, SO HYPE.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
i guess it would be to much of a dream to be able to link or verify your xbox account so you don't have to rebuy all the songs again?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
The latter

I don't know why anyone would think this would happen to be honest.

Hmm Expect it? No...

Wanting to have the your song purchases carry over from one platform to the other?..., (you still have to buy the program)..
Ya that would be awesome..like Valve level of awesome

But your right... this is Ubisoft we're talking about here..the fact it doesn't have an always on internet requirement is progress.

King_Moc

Banned
Hmm Expect it? No...

Wanting to have the your song purchases carry over from one platform to the other?..., (you still have to buy the program)..
Ya that would be awesome..like Valve level of awesome

But your right... this is Ubisoft we're talking about here..the fact it doesn't have an always on internet requirement is progress.

If you want to blame anyone, you can be pretty sure it's probably Microsoft fault.

I don't see how this is any different than me saying "Well I had a Wii and I downloaded like 30 Guitar Hero songs so why can't I have them transfer over to my Xbox 360 or PS3"

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I'm not blaming anyone..

I said Its something I think would be awesome,I realize its not a standard pra ctice..hence my "its probably to much of a dream" comment.
I wasn't expecting it.

Why be so defensive about expressing a desire for a format that would be better for the consumer?

Wishing for an evolution of Rock bands practice of saying if you buy our new game we for a nominal fee allow you to convert content from the old game over for example.

Anyways..It was meant as wishful thinking...

It's a wish that is recognised though - Zen Studios, the makers of Zen Pinball, were working on trying to get some kind of system in place that allows you to play your purchased tables on all your systems, not just Cross-Buy as you see it now on PSN, but across iOS, PSN and any other platform they can get that to work with. But I'm sure they'll discover it's not easy.

Zen Pinball 2 is a test-case game integrated prominently into Windows 8. If Microsoft does want to do allow something like that, ever, then that's where you should probably first expect to see at least a crossover between your purchases on Xbox Live back in Windows 8 (I expect this will happen eventually).

However, the biggest spoilsports here may well be the companies that own the licences to music. These are the ones that prevent games like Rockband and Singstar to even install games on multiple PS3s or 360s at once, as far as I know. So the chance it will happen in this genre is slim to none on the short term, if you ask me. Same reason why you tend to not be able to login to any of your music services more than once at a time (though those services are already progress, at least those things like Spotify do work cross platform).

Once the music/video industry gets their act together and allows you to purchase a licence to a song that you can play it on any of your devices with, then we'll be getting somewhere.

I just wanted to say, after only 2 days with the PC beta, that this application is the most amazing thing ever. I started playing bass about 10 years ago but due to a move overseas I had to leave my band and my bass at home. Unsurprisingly, I kind of lost the connection to the instrument (no band, no bass, no time, no calluses). I tried to reconnect by fulfilling one of my biggest wishes and buying myself a Warwick bass - but even that didn't change much.

Well, Rocksmith did it. It's as if I found a long-lost family member. I'm having tons of fun and lots of blisters (it actually hurts to type this). Right now it's really kind of an emotional experience to play Plug-In Baby, which was one of the first songs I learned. With the amazing amp and effects emulation, the bass line finally sounds right.
Thanks, Rocksmith - now I can finally enjoy my Warwick.

I'm so happy with how this works that I even tend to forget that there's a whole second game in there. Since I always wanted to learn how to play guitar that will also come in handy.

HKnightz

is there any way to redo events or just put together a few songs to make an event? rehearsing is fine, but there's no feeling like hearing the crowd cheering

unfortunately once you finish an event you can't re-visit it. Best bet is to just to replace your event songs with the ones you want to re-visit.

Rocksmith 2 plz

mash440

Neo Member
is there any way to redo events or just put together a few songs to make an event? rehearsing is fine, but there's no feeling like hearing the crowd cheering

I am disturbed how when you do bad, they don't boo you. It feels like they are being... 'nice'. Like they don't want to push me over the edge...

They seem to start talking through the song though, which I tend to interpret as a complaint - fans wondering among themselves why I am off my game. ;)

I so easily lose a few hours to this ... great stuff. I made it to international support act, and already noticed I need some pretty high scores to qualify. I also noticed that a song I randomly played in song mode was already listed as qualified, so that's nice. I'm also getting better at sight reading notes, and am definitely helped by already knowing chords rather well ...

Songs are starting to include some cool solos already - nothing overly complicated, but cool nevertheless. My last set had a Tom Petty song and Clapton as the encore.

There seem to be some issues when you've retried a song a number of times in the tour and the game suggests you to lower the qualifying limit ... Sometimes (I think when you press before the AMP sound has finished loading or something) you can't press cancel anymore, only accept, and I quite frequently have crashes here too. This part seems unstable on all platforms so far (certainly 360 and PS3) going by reports on the forums.

I'm only running into these issues now that I'm up for level 8 I think (close to the first silver level trophy at any rate) and the difficulty is ramping up quite a bit. But I'm down with that. :)
Otherwise I'm still really enjoying the game on PS3, so hoping I can finish it there eventually (I will definitely have to work at some of the songs - I've played Going Underground about 10 times now I think to get to a score in the 80k (84k I think I'm at now, it lowered the score earlier from 88 so I've actually moved on to the next song, to have some variation and give my downstrokes some rest).

So... is a Mac version still in the works? I would double dip to save me from having to rewire my audio setup every time I want to play on the XBox.

So there are some advantages to being a programmer as well as a guitar player. ;)

Sure enough, if I just wait until everything is loaded (i.e. your song replay starts playing in the background) then I never have any issues or crashes. I just practiced through most of hte remaining of my setlist very smoothly (including one suggestion for lowering the qualifying barrier, which I politely declined) and then played a smashing concert. ;) (well except the encore sucked, my first time at Sweet Home Alabama was everything but sweet at 25k ... )

I posted this as feedback on the Rocksmith forum as well, so hopefully that helps them squash the bug (or they can just prevent you from being able to press x until the replay starts playing of course ;) )

I'm about 80% away from level 8 / silver trophy territory. Man, they do really make you work for getting there though, don't they? Starting to think I need to master songs to improve scoring or something - I am getting close enough with many songs now already anyway (often in the 90k+) - as this is taking forever. I think since my last trophy I've done 4 concerts at least, quite a lot of songs, and if I look at the bar, it's like you need 3 million rsp's or so to move from 7 to 8? Pff.

Well, at least I seem to still be able to play the songs well enough, after some practice.

nomster

So does everyone think that "tablature" style is the way to go? The opposite seems more intuitive for me but I can see the benefits of training to sight read tab.

Top Bottom