• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith |OT| While My Guitar Gently Weeps

So does everyone think that "tablature" style is the way to go? The opposite seems more intuitive for me but I can see the benefits of training to sight read tab.

I think it simply depends on whether you have a background in some music theory or how to read sheet music. The standard setting makes sense if you think of your strings as "Top, second, third, bottom" - just as they try to label the strings as "red, yellow, blue, orange" in the game. But if you have ever read sheet music or tabulature, "deeper tone -> further down" is just part of your musical intuition.

Raistlin

With all the talk of slow down and load times on the PS3/360 revs, I think I might cancel my pre-order of the PS3 Guitar & Bass disc and get it on Steam.

Anyone know if the new PS3 release is rumored to be a more recent rev, or should I expect the same issues everyone has been talking about?

Also, is there an option to install the game onto the PS3 for load-time improvements?

Onemic

sLUI6.png

Rush DLC this month

cannot wait

I think it simply depends on whether you have a background in some music theory or how to read sheet music. The standard setting makes sense if you think of your strings as "Top, second, third, bottom" - just as they try to label the strings as "red, yellow, blue, orange" in the game. But if you have ever read sheet music or tabulature, "deeper tone -> further down" is just part of your musical intuition.

For me it is really simple: if you look down on your hands on your guitar, you see the bass strings at the bottom. So this should normally be the most intuitive for almost everyone. The way they show it by default, you'd have to imagine looking at your fingers straight through the neck of your guitar, which would be awesome if:

1. Your guitar neck is see-through, or
2. You're playing in front of a mirror

In all other cases though, the reverse setting should be default imho.

With all the talk of slow down and load times on the PS3/360 revs, I think I might cancel my pre-order of the PS3 Guitar & Bass disc and get it on Steam.

Anyone know if the new PS3 release is rumored to be a more recent rev, or should I expect the same issues everyone has been talking about?

Personally I think people complaining about load-times have some serious case of ADHD, but hmm. I'm playing it on PS3, but the game does run much better on my PC. There though I have a little more hassle because I have to use the analog out on my PC for my headphones, where I normally have my headphones plugged into my display (or use the TVs speakers). On the PS3, the HDMI out does not cause any audio lag at all.

If you have a good PC though, normally you would have a more comfortable time with it, as it is much faster and higher res (not some of the button images, mind). I have both, but I've personally decided to stick with the PS3 version and try to see it through (I'm level 9 now). The most important part, the audio lag, is very good on the PS3, it's stable and reliable even if the graphics during gigs aren't. So it just helps me to focus on listening to the song rather than become a pianola ;), at least during the concerts (its fine during practice, which is the most important).

It helps that the cable works on both versions, so if you've got the PS3 version with the cable, like me, you can use that cable for the PC version as well and try the demo with it.

Also, is there an option to install the game onto the PS3 for load-time improvements?

No, there isn't.

I'd say that if you have modern GPU in your PC - as in anything from the last 3 years, or a fast laptop (friend tried it yesterday with a Celeron laptop, and that basically couldn't run this game at all, you had 0.6 second lag between display and song, and a framerate of 10fps :D), the PC version should normally be the best version.

mash440

Neo Member

In all other cases though, the reverse setting should be default imho.

I think it makes more sense to be honest. It shows it as a rear view of the guitar, with the curve of the fretboard shown as well.

Furthermore, people typically look down at tab, and it maps to what you see of the fretboard. With Rocksmith, you are looking forward at the screen, and you don't refer to your guitar visually, but instead by feel. Having the bottom string at the bottom does make sense IMHO.

Personally I love the game. I've been spending hours on it, although I have to say, calling it a game is a stretch.

I think of more as a backing-track/automatic tab viewer/song previewer/chord book all in one.

What is great, is it actively introduces you to new songs. I don't know that much rock and roll particularly, and it's great to be able to be introduced into a song which you have never heard before and be playing along within 1 listen.

Personally I think people complaining about load-times have some serious case of ADHD, but hmm. I'm playing it on PS3, but the game does run much better on my PC. There though I have a little more hassle because I have to use the analog out on my PC for my headphones, where I normally have my headphones plugged into my display (or use the TVs speakers). On the PS3, the HDMI out does not cause any audio lag at all.

It's not just the load times, its the animations and user interface. Getting from playing a song in full to riff repeater is a chore, and the animation for riff repeater, going into the screen, tuning, then waiting for the song to start is a bore. It would be great if the tuner would only activate once every 5 songs for example, or if it could determine how stable you guitar tuning is, and determine how often it needs to be tuned. Definitely not every 3 minutes (although I'm sure quite a lot of people will be playing on unstable budget guitars).

15 breaks every hour are good. Annoying pauses when you are trying to focus are a different matter entirely.

Also there's that song with the 1 minute long female voice introduction... That song can get the hell out.

tldr; I love this game. Play it a load, but it still needs polish.

I don't have an issue with the tuning - there is no loading after the tuning, and I strum the notes in quick succession muting the previous note as I go to the next note. Takes two seconds. Mind you, they could still optimise it away, as when you do a gig, you sometimes do up to 8 songs without any tuning inbetween. But this is a five man team, so I do appreciate they can only do so much and already struggle to make everything stable.

As for the Riff Repeater, I could see that - personally I haven't used it yet, just training the songs as is as there are few songs (despite now being level 8) that the tour has me playing that I still feel confident enough a bout that I feel I don't need the additional practice of the rest of the song (and I want to learn them by heart as well). But I have seen one or two songs that have a section that is way harder than the rest, and I can imagine I would eventually want to use something like Riff repeater to practice.

I agree and have said before myself that the use of the gamebryo engine on PS3 does not take the weak overdraw/transparency capabilities into account very well, so that when you get into concerts with a lot of audience, the framerate can drop quite horribly. Fortunately the graphics aren't linked to the actual gameplay, so listening to the song and only taking rough cues from the note highway works well enough for me so far. I generally know a song well enough when I do a concert anyway, though of course an encore with a song that's completely new can be a bit tricky.

I would definitely recommend an option to make the audience static while you're playing on the PS3 to the developers, if they can pull that off, to make this more smooth.

deduce

I preordered Rocksmith through Steam and was hoping to find the Rocksmith USB cable in store. I've check Gamestop, Best Buy, Fry's, and even Walmart and have not been able to find it. Was the cable ever released to retailers or is the cable only available for purchase online?

EDIT: I gave up the hunt. Went to Target, Toys R Us and some resale shops and struck out.

Onemic

I preordered Rocksmith through Steam and was hoping to find the Rocksmith USB cable in store. I've check Gamestop, Best Buy, Fry's, and even Walmart and have not been able to find it. Was the cable ever released to retailers or is the cable only available for purchase online?

EDIT: I gave up the hunt. Went to Target, Toys R Us and some resale shops and struck out.

They have the cable but I don't think I've ever seen it sold standalone, its always bundled with the game. Get it online.

Ydahs

Bought this yesterday, spent 4-5 hours on it so far. Might be my game of the year.

Not sure why I've heard many say it's not a game. It really is a game, one that makes learning the guitar an absolutely ball.

I'm pretty much a guitar newbie. Know a couple of chords, a tune or two, but I'm as green as they come. I've gotten a lot more comfortable with my abilities in just a few hours and I feel that if I dedicate around 5 hours a week, I can go a long way in actually learning how to play this thing decently. It's a great motivation tool and it will certainly help out those who want to establish a foundation before going onto bigger and better things.

DrBo42

PC version audio quality and audio lag is completely superior from the time I've played today. My FPS goes through the floor during actual performances with crowds though. I have a pretty decent laptop... GT 650 1gb DDR5 on 1600x900 res with low settings and I'm still getting destroyed. Maybe 15 fps when there's a crowd.

Jheromes

Neo Member
Pre order finally arrived today!

Been eyeing this game since it first was announced in the US, so I'm super stoked my copy (and cable) arrived this morning (bought the PC version, as I don't have a console anymore).
Thrilled with joy I opened up the box, plugged in the cable into my crappy Epiphone Special II, installed the ga...wait a minute...

THE CD-KEY IS MISSING.

So yeah. The key is missing so I can't actually play the game. Already filed in a complaint with Ubi's customer service and played the demo on Steam as I do have a cable now.
Demo rocks so far. Difficulty seems to ramp up quick though, hope I can keep up with it. I'm playing on my laptop and don't have any noticable lag as far as I can tell, so that's a plus.

Now all I have to do is wait on Ubisoft in disappointment.

Edit: Ubisoft came through and mailed the key!

sladeums

The classic rock pack is 2500 MS points? Fuck that.

Does the PC version come with it included?

As far as I know the new song packs are all being sold at a discounted price.
I'm unsure of the XBox equivalent, but individual songs are typically $3.

No, the PC version does not come with any song DLC.

Scuderia

Ah, from what i understand it's a compilation of some of the older song packs, thrown into one.

It is quite meaty to be fair, but it's still £20 <_<

Classic Guitar Pack (15 Songs) $29.99:
&#8220;Born Under a Bad Sign&#8221; &#8211; Albert King with Stevie Ray Vaughan
&#8220;Jessica&#8221; &#8211; The Allman Brothers Band
&#8220;Whipping Post&#8221; &#8211; The Allman Brothers Band
&#8220;(Don&#8217;t Fear) The Reaper&#8221; &#8211; Blue Öyster Cult
&#8220;More Than a Feeling&#8221; &#8211; Boston
&#8220;Born on the Bayou&#8221; &#8211; Creedence Clearwater Revival
&#8220;Smoke on the Water&#8221; &#8211; Deep Purple
&#8220;Barracuda&#8221; &#8211; Heart
&#8220;In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida&#8221; &#8211; Iron Butterfly
&#8220;Free Bird&#8221; &#8211; Lynyrd Skynyrd
&#8220;Bohemian Rhapsody&#8221; &#8211; Queen
&#8220;Fat Bottomed Girls&#8221; &#8211; Queen
&#8220;Keep Yourself Alive&#8221; &#8211; Queen
&#8220;Killer Queen&#8221; &#8211; Queen
&#8220;Stone Cold Crazy&#8221; &#8211; Queen

Classic Hits (12 Songs) $23.99:
&#8220;The Thrill is Gone&#8221; &#8211; B. B. King
&#8220;Godzilla&#8221; &#8211; Blue Öyster Cult
&#8220;Soul Man&#8221; &#8211; The Blues Brothers
&#8220;Space Oddity&#8221; &#8211; David Bowie
&#8220;What&#8217;s Going On&#8221; &#8211; Marvin Gaye
&#8220;(Sittin&#8217; On) The Dock of the Bay&#8221; &#8211; Otis Redding
&#8220;Hit Me With Your Best Shot&#8221; &#8211; Pat Benatar
&#8220;Message in a Bottle&#8221; &#8211; The Police
&#8220;Roxanne&#8221; &#8211; The Police
&#8220;Synchronicity II&#8221; &#8211; The Police
&#8220;20th Century Boy&#8221; &#8211; T. Rex
&#8220;My Girl&#8221; The Temptations

Alternative Rock Pack (15 Songs) $29.99:
&#8220;All the Small Things&#8221; &#8211; blink-182
&#8220;Dammit&#8221; &#8211; blink-182
&#8220;What&#8217;s My Age Again?&#8221; &#8211; blink-182
&#8220;Paralyzer&#8221; &#8211; Finger Eleven
&#8220;Pumped Up Kicks&#8221; &#8211; Foster The People
&#8220;My Sharona&#8221; &#8211; The Knack
&#8220;This Love&#8221; &#8211; Maroon 5
&#8220;Na Na Na (Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na)&#8221; &#8211; My Chemical Romance
&#8220;Planetary (GO!)&#8221; &#8211; My Chemical Romance
&#8220;Welcome to the Black Parade&#8221; &#8211; My Chemical Romance
&#8220;Come Out and Play (Keep &#8216;em Separated)&#8221; &#8211; The Offspring
&#8220;Gone Away&#8221; &#8211; The Offspring
&#8220;Self Esteem&#8221; &#8211; The Offspring
&#8220;Bodysnatchers&#8221; &#8211; Radiohead
&#8220;Cousins&#8221; &#8211; Vampire Weekend

EU Classic Rock Pack (15 Songs) $29.99 (US dollars):
&#8220;(Don&#8217;t Fear) The Reaper&#8221; &#8211; Blue Öyster Cult
&#8220;Soul Man&#8221; &#8211; The Blues Brothers
&#8220;More Than a Feeling&#8221; &#8211; Boston
&#8220;Smoke on the Water&#8221; &#8211; Deep Purple
&#8220;Barracuda&#8221; &#8211; Heart
&#8220;Free Bird&#8221; &#8211; Lynyrd Skynyrd
&#8220;(Sittin&#8217; On) The Dock of the Bay&#8221; &#8211; Otis Redding
&#8220;Message in a Bottle&#8221; &#8211; The Police
&#8220;Roxanne&#8221; &#8211; The Police
&#8220;Synchronicity II&#8221; &#8211; The Police
&#8220;Bohemian Rhapsody&#8221; &#8211; Queen
&#8220;Fat Bottomed Girls&#8221; &#8211; Queen
&#8220;Keep Yourself Alive&#8221; &#8211; Queen
&#8220;Killer Queen&#8221; &#8211; Queen
&#8220;Stone Cold Crazy&#8221; &#8211; Queen

fyi

antitrop

I was interested in this game, but didn't want to spring for consoles. Just pickked up a USB-1/4" cable on Amazon, should be here tomorrow and I'll pick it up off Steam.

My guitar: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Sunburst

DV016_Jpg_Large_583405.015_vintage_sunburst.jpg

My Les Paul, Ibanez, and starter Squire:

jSYmF.jpg

sladeums

I was interested in this game, but didn't want to spring for consoles. Just pickked up a USB-1/4" cable on Amazon, should be here tomorrow and I'll pick it up off Steam.

You got the Official Rocksmith (TM) Real Tone Cable, right?

My understanding is any plain ol' USB compatible cord won't work, you need the proprietary one.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I think I'm gonna buy this - or perhaps put on a present wishlist....but I can't decide if I should get it for PC or PS3. I've seen the load time complaints for the PS3 version...is there anything else that makes the PS3 a bad choice?

XMB Crashes

My PC version just crashed too :( .

I double dipped ps3 and pc because I am silly like that but with the PC version loading faster and getting the input delay down *almost to where you *barely notice these 2 things make a noticeable difference IMO.

I usually favor PC version in general though, so I am biased probably.

Thrakier

I got the game today, only tested the Amp, but there is a noticable delay between me hitting the string and hearing the sound coming out of the boxes. No video involved in this problem, that's another topic. Gaming the PC version. Any help? It definitly does not feel like a real life amp. Am I just expecting too muhc?

I got the game today, only tested the Amp, but there is a noticable delay between me hitting the string and hearing the sound coming out of the boxes. No video involved in this problem, that's another topic. Gaming the PC version. Any help? It definitly does not feel like a real life amp. Am I just expecting too muhc?

Did you read the PDF that came with the game? It has some adjustments you can do via the config file

Thrakier

Did you read the PDF that came with the game? It has some adjustments you can do via the config file

Didn't see a PDF so far. Didn't do any adjustments as well.

What I tested:

Audigy 2 ZS (noticable delay)
OnBoard Realtek Sound (almost ok)
HDMI to Onkyo 604 (unplayable)

:(

Hi guys I have a question, I traded in 5 games and got

Rock Smith - 360

What is the difference between this and the one released last year.

I want to learn how to play a Guitar.

This one comes with the Bass functionality bundled in

Didn't see a PDF so far. Didn't do any adjustments as well.

What I tested:

Audigy 2 ZS (noticable delay)
OnBoard Realtek Sound (almost ok)
HDMI to Onkyo 604 (unplayable)

:(

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/716851-Rocksmith-PC-Configuration-and-FAQ-s

Hope this helps you

Thrakier

Thanks, but I already did that. With these tips I was able to get an AMP like performance with my ONBOARD realtek soundcard. But only with that. My Audigy 2ZS ist still a bit laggy, but playable. Via HDMI to my Onkyo 604 it's horrible though and I have no idea what to do there. Is anyone playing with HDMI but without lag?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Thanks, but I already did that. With these tips I was able to get an AMP like performance with my ONBOARD realtek soundcard. But only with that. My Audigy 2ZS ist still a bit laggy, but playable. Via HDMI to my Onkyo 604 it's horrible though and I have no idea what to do there. Is anyone playing with HDMI but without lag?

I don't believe its possible to get no lag over HDMI ..just use analog cable to your receiver and put it in stereo mode for best results

mash440

Neo Member
So... I just bought my first bass guitar, after playing this game for about a month with guitar.

A Squire Classic Vibe 60's Precision Bass. It's nice...

I don't know that much about bass... I just trusted the internet on this one.

DrBo42

So... I just bought my first bass guitar, after playing this game for about a month with guitar.

A Squire Classic Vibe 60's Precision Bass. It's nice...

I don't know that much about bass... I just trusted the internet on this one.

Tempted to buy a bass as well. The bass emulation is a cool feature but man does it sound awful.

Bliany

Well I couldn't find the cable anywhere in town after calling around so it should get here tomorrow from Amazon. I'm really excited to play but I can't believe the DLC is that expensive!

mash440

Neo Member
Well I couldn't find the cable anywhere in town after calling around so it should get here tomorrow from Amazon. I'm really excited to play but I can't believe the DLC is that expensive!

It's guitar tab, full song, and backing track all in one.

Sheet music from a store will usually cost you around £10.00 - £15,00 for an album, for a single instrument. Of which all songs might not be your cup of tea.

Singles around 69p from the iTunes store.

I say that the prices are quite reasonable.

Bliany

It's guitar tab, full song, and backing track all in one.

Sheet music from a store will usually cost you around £10.00 - £15,00 for an album, for a single instrument. Of which all songs might not be your cup of tea.

Singles around 69p from the iTunes store.

I say that the prices are quite reasonable.

I suppose you're right. Well here's to hoping that they keep good content flowing.

DrBo42

There's also bass tab in everything I assume. If it's a song I want to learn how to play, I never feel ripped off buying it on Rocksmith. Once I master it and play it without the UI, it's paid for itself in my mind.

8400RPM

Neo Member

Were you using one of the preset patches, or were you in the middle of building your own tone? I ask because I noticed that when I was building a tone (adding pedals and tweaking settings) that there was noticable delay, but as soon as I saved the tone lag went back down to barely detectable like it is in performance mode.

The only other time I noticed unacceptable lag is during a performance of High n Dry but that's been the only time. My PC is 5 years old BTW, so not exactly the fastest.

So you should try just playing a song and seeing if the lag is better.

mash440

Neo Member
Were you using one of the preset patches, or were you in the middle of building your own tone? I ask because I noticed that when I was building a tone (adding pedals and tweaking settings) that there was noticable delay, but as soon as I saved the tone lag went back down to barely detectable like it is in performance mode.

The only other time I noticed unacceptable lag is during a performance of High n Dry but that's been the only time. My PC is 5 years old BTW, so not exactly the fastest.

So you should try just playing a song and seeing if the lag is better.

This post on the Ubisoft forum might be of interest to you.

Thrakier

I don't believe its possible to get no lag over HDMI ..just use analog cable to your receiver and put it in stereo mode for best results

Well. that sucks. :( I would've to put the cable through the whole room just to play Rocksmith. Don't know if that's worth it, probably just stick to my Monitor then.

But even on my monitor, I don't get AMP like performance. It's playable, but there is still a noticable lag. To be honest, thats very disapointing.

Also what's a bit annoying is that I suddenly get notes where I don't know how to play them. It's something like a chord but I'm not sure how to play it, I don't understand it and I don't find an explanation in the tech section.

antitrop

Well. that sucks. :( I would've to put the cable through the whole room just to play Rocksmith. Don't know if that's worth it, probably just stick to my Monitor then.

But even on my monitor, I don't get AMP like performance. It's playable, but there is still a noticable lag. To be honest, thats very disapointing.

Also what's a bit annoying is that I suddenly get notes where I don't know how to play them. It's something like a chord but I'm not sure how to play it, I don't understand it and I don't find an explanation in the tech section.
Yes, the game does a great job of introducing you to basic guitar techniques, but does ABSOLUTELY NO JOB WHATSOEVER of trying to teach you their tabbing technique. Rock Band 3 had a great tutorial to introduce players to their wacky fingering system, but Rocksmith doesn't give a shit. It's just like fuck you, figure it out in the middle of this song.

DrBo42

Yes, the game does a great job of introducing you to basic guitar techniques, but does ABSOLUTELY NO JOB WHATSOEVER of trying to teach you their tabbing technique. Rock Band 3 had a great tutorial to introduce players to their wacky fingering system, but Rocksmith doesn't give a shit. It's just like fuck you, figure it out in the middle of this song.

It tells you the technique after you've played the song that introduces it. It's kinda weird.

Top Bottom