• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith |OT| While My Guitar Gently Weeps

I bought a Fender Squier Jaguar Short-Scale bass in anticipation for this.

ibu5wFqrgmIm0H.JPG

I always thought it was bizarre that they persisted with the whole album covers thing on the shop pages, but yet don't actually show you anything over than a generic one regardless of what the song is. The new design looks miles better, but what's this? They've still got the useless generic album cover graphic.

Shagg:

the European Release can be updated in the OP: It's pretty much September 27th outside of a few variations with Japan and South Africa
As well PC = October 16th (Steam etc)

If you didn't already know, the bass expansion is out NOW on both formats. Unbelievably PSN is down, so if you try and download the PS3 expansion from the game you can't at the moment. However, if you buy it from the PSN shop it seems to work fine.

King_Moc

Banned
Are the cables for this the same across formats? I have the PS3 one with the cable, which i got from the US. I'm gonna get the PC one when it comes out over here, and was hoping to not have to buy another cable.

jgkspsx

Woo!! I hope it's not a CCR pack, though. Not that I'm saying that all the guitar parts are the same. *cough*

Edit: Well, unlocked 5 of the 10 achievements in the entry level set. Kind of disappointing, really. The other half will take me until the end of time...

idqlt.jpg

Here's song #2 from next Tuesday's DLC release: this has to be one of the longest songs ever to have achieved a triple platinum certification ...

2nd Hint: "the song was on an album by the same name, the album went multiplatinum, not the single itself."

jgkspsx

People seem pretty sure it's Inna Gadda da Vida.

Bass emulation mode is really cool, but two-finger plucking the A string cleanly isn't very easy.

Bass work as well as guitar? I just have a cheapo Fender Squier bass and I'd love to learn more. Do they encourage placement of the hand in chord positions in the tutorials?

monkeyhat

Hey GAF. Over in the UK, Rocksmith arrives on PS3 and 360 on the 28th September, and PC on the 19th October. The UK versions include all the updates made to the US version since release, and will also include all the bass and emulated bass features and arrangements straight out of the box.

I've been editing up some videos filmed at Gibson's London showroom where professional guitarists have been popping in to try out the game and give their genuine unscripted opinions. I thought I'd share them here just in case anyone was interested - hope that's alright. There'll be more guitarist videos going up on the YouTubes each Friday till release.

Leah Mason - singer / songwriter

Ross Phillips - Hard-fi guitarist

Rocksmith has been on my radar since it was released..and with the bass expansion I think its time to finally get it.
I know of the HDMI lag issue at release and am wondering if its still an issue...I tried finding news/info online but I dont see anything past 2011.
So...where we at with the lag issue? HDMI is really my only connection option. Thanks GAF!

jgkspsx

Hey, Hard-Fi! There's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

Hard-Fi were real assholes to some friends of mine. I still have a lingering hatred for them.

jgkspsx

So...where we at with the lag issue?
The issue is that the HDMI standard allows for massive amounts of lag. It can't be "fixed." If it were, it would be a new standard.
HDMI is really my only connection option.
No, it's not. Get the adaptor and an RCA to miniplug/microplug adaptor. Should cost about $10. If you don't have some decent little PC speaker system (which you can get for less than $100) you can use headphones.\

Edit: Whoops, double post.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys: will Rocksmith have a new edition that includes the Bass DLC on disc? Or at least include a code for at a la GOTY edition or something?

Actually that's the PC release date. The new edition for Guitar/Bass will be released worldwide September 27th (aside from a few variations in South Africa and Japan iirc).

Here we go, hint #1 for next Tuesday's DLC release: the guitar part on this platinum-selling single was played by legendary Memphis session man Reggie Young.

Lo2X9.jpg

Dobie Gray - Drift Away

Onemic

I have not played this game(let alone guitar) since March. I feel like playing again, but im gonna be so damn rusty and my fingers will hurt like hell again.

What does patch 1.03 do exactly?

Makes the DLC store easier to use, makes song selection a bit faster, and allows for speed up/down control in the speed section of the riff repeater. The last chunk is all that really matters, although the downside is that it's such an incremental improvement (albeit a nice one) that I've come to the conclusion that there must be something in the core engine that inhibits the devs from incorporating all of the riff repeater variants into one master (and therefore more useful) training tool.

Onemic

Makes the DLC store easier to use, makes song selection a bit faster, and allows for speed up/down control in the speed section of the riff repeater. The last chunk is all that really matters, although the downside is that it's such an incremental improvement (albeit a nice one) that I've come to the conclusion that there must be something in the core engine that inhibits the devs from incorporating all of the riff repeater variants into one master (and therefore more useful) training tool.

YES!!!!

I thought the manual speed adjustment was the last problem left?

I've come to the conclusion that there must be something in the core engine that inhibits the devs from incorporating all of the riff repeater variants into one master (and therefore more useful) training tool.

I think it's just their silly decision to "gameify" everything (i.e. lives in practice modes) when at the highest levels Rocksmith really needs to be a serious practice tool for anyone to be able to properly learn insane stuff like the hardest Megadeth songs.

Also the new patch apparently improves note recognition. Some people were saying it's better at detecting certain chords now.

I think it's just their silly decision to "gameify" everything (i.e. lives in practice modes) when at the highest levels Rocksmith really needs to be a serious practice tool for anyone to be able to properly learn insane stuff like the hardest Megadeth songs.
I agree in that I think that initial design decision resulted in the engine not being sufficiently easily modifiable, although I am holding out hope that the PC version will be moddable (BB King was the last DLC I bought because I'm waiting to double-dip on PC) and some OCD wierdo will do the work that Ubisoft/RSdevs can't afford.

onemic said:
I thought the manual speed adjustment was the last problem left?
That depends on how you define problem. Having control of the speed and mastery is really important (really, really important), but there are serious underlying issues with the program flow once you get to, say, 80% mastery of the songs.

Basically the Riff Repeater shouldn't exist as a separate mode, and given the lackluster venue visuals, I'd say that there shouldn't even be a menu separation between practice/venue mode. I should be able to pick a song, go through tuning, and then use the controller as follows (assuming a 360 controller):

-face buttons activate tones and "venue mode" (go into the menus for more venue/tone options if needed).
-d-pad controls speed and mastery in real-time.
-bumpers change song section (having to back out to a menu to change section is not good)
-analog triggers rewind/fast-forward.

The last bit is important because some song sections in some songs are too long and have a hard tricky part that I need to work on surrounded by a lot of easier stuff - the Tom Petty song with all the slides is a particular example. When I practice using sheet music I'll work on a couple of bars over and over again until I get the feel down, not half the page.

Now someone will tell me that the game has always done that and I am stupid. But if not I would (through pained expression) seriously pay $10 as DLC just to get a "pro" mode (patch) like that.

Onemic

I agree in that I think that initial design decision resulted in the engine not being sufficiently easily modifiable, although I am holding out hope that the PC version will be moddable (BB King was the last DLC I bought because I'm waiting to double-dip on PC) and some OCD wierdo will do the work that Ubisoft/RSdevs can't afford.

That depends on how you define problem. Having control of the speed and mastery is really important (really, really important), but there are serious underlying issues with the program flow once you get to, say, 80% mastery of the songs.

Basically the Riff Repeater shouldn't exist as a separate mode, and given the lackluster venue visuals, I'd say that there shouldn't even be a menu separation between practice/venue mode. I should be able to pick a song, go through tuning, and then use the controller as follows (assuming a 360 controller):

-face buttons activate tones and "venue mode" (go into the menus for more venue/tone options if needed).
-d-pad controls speed and mastery in real-time.
-bumpers change song section (having to back out to a menu to change section is not good)
-analog triggers rewind/fast-forward.

The last bit is important because some song sections in some songs are too long and have a hard tricky part that I need to work on surrounded by a lot of easier stuff - the Tom Petty song with all the slides is a particular example. When I practice using sheet music I'll work on a couple of bars over and over again until I get the feel down, not half the page.

Now someone will tell me that the game has always done that and I am stupid. But if not I would (through pained expression) seriously pay $10 as DLC just to get a "pro" mode (patch) like that.

Ah yes, I forgot about that last bit. Ya it can be extremely annoying when doing a section and there's one bar that's really hard but you cant simply rewind and keep doing it until you get it down. I think that may be an engine problem, as no music game has ever had that type of feature.

David Bowie "The Man Who Sold The World"

Fuck yes. Although it boggles the mind that we've now got three Bowie songs in the game and yet not even one of them is off of Ziggy Stardust, pretty much the seminal glam rock guitar album. Are the rights for songs off of that album more expensive or something? Space Oddity was an especially baffling choice.

jgkspsx

I haven't bought Space Oddity, though I love it, because what's the point?

Now that it includes bass, maybe, but... still, what's the point?

Really excited about Drift Away and Man Who Sold The World, though. Why didn't Drift Away ever get into Rock Band, anyway?

Nvn1J.jpg

"9/18 DLC Hint #2: The vocalist on this hit ballad was formerly in another band that we released one DLC song from in 2011..."

Whitesnake - Is This Love

forrest

formerly nacire
I've been playing guitar for years, but have recently really been getting back in pretty hard. Chops are really improving this go round. I have a question regarding this particular software. Can it teach me the entirety of a difficult song such as Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)? It doesn't have to be that particular song, just something of that caliber. I'm looking to hone some speed licks and increase my bag of tricks for improv and figured one of the best ways to do so would be to learn some classics. Anyhow, this looks pretty cool and I wouldn't mind checking it out if it's decent.

Is there any reason to wait and get the PC version over the PS3/360 version?

it loads songs in 20 seconds.

I've been playing guitar for years, but have recently really been getting back in pretty hard. Chops are really improving this go round. I have a question regarding this particular software. Can it teach me the entirety of a difficult song such as Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)? It doesn't have to be that particular song, just something of that caliber. I'm looking to hone some speed licks and increase my bag of tricks for improv and figured one of the best ways to do so would be to learn some classics. Anyhow, this looks pretty cool and I wouldn't mind checking it out if it's decent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_downloadable_songs_for_Rocksmith

Megadeth's Hangar 18
Judas Priest's Painkiller
Jessica and Whipping Post by The Allman Bros
Freebird by Lynyryd Skynyrd
Free Christmas DLC has some sweet solos
and this week has Whitesnake (Is This Love) and Europe (The Final Countdown)

Hope that answers your question.

forrest

formerly nacire
it loads songs in 20 seconds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_downloadable_songs_for_Rocksmith

Megadeth's Hangar 18
Judas Priest's Painkiller
Jessica and Whipping Post by The Allman Bros
Freebird by Lynyryd Skynyrd
Free Christmas DLC has some sweet solos
and this week has Whitesnake (Is This Love) and Europe (The Final Countdown)

Hope that answers your question.

Those are some great songs for sure, but I guess I was curious about the integrity of the transcriptions. Are they identical to the album versions of each song? Are there various levels of each song or do you just get the whole damn thing from the get go? Maybe I should go watch some vids! :p thanks for the info by the way!

shaowebb

I saw Pat Benetar "hit me with your best shot" listed as a track. Anyone know if they might put "Invincible" in there?

I play an electric 3 string dulcimer which I'd like to try on rhythm modes to test chord compatibility. If nothing else I can pick up a cheapie soon for $50 or so at a pawn shop and just play properly if it doesn't work with the thing.

In either instance Pat Benetar "invincible" would rip me off the fence on this guy.

Top Bottom