• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith |OT| While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Are there various levels of each song or do you just get the whole damn thing from the get go?

Dynamic Difficulty prevents you from getting the max difficulty right off the bat. Once you have mastered a few songs the levels will adjust accordingly and you can adjust the speed/mastery level in the Riff Repeater/Accelerator modes.

HKnightz

it loads songs in 20 seconds.

wait, the 360/ps3 version does? or the pc version? haha i hope you're talking about consoles. Speaking of which, I've heard that the loadtimes on consoles are pretty long. Other than that one con, seems like this game is pretty amazing for what it is.

That's one of the main draws of the PC version (faster loading times). Also some people will put forth the assumption that magically the PC version is going to play custom songs but that will be dependent on people caring enough to program an application to chart the songs after figuring out how the game interprets them of course lol

I've been playing guitar for years, but have recently really been getting back in pretty hard. Chops are really improving this go round. I have a question regarding this particular software. Can it teach me the entirety of a difficult song such as Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)?

I've been playing for quite a while and it really made me up my game and greatly improve my playing ability. Having said that though, while it features songs with some very advanced playing techniques it doesn't actually explain how to do some of them, which will confuse the hell out of your average beginner. Specifically concepts like sweep picking and tapping are literally not explained at all despite certain songs being impossible to play without understanding them. The charts are all there for these techniques, but if you don't understand musically what is going on in the song at that part it's just baffling as the game asks you to do seemingly "impossible" stuff.

HKnightz

guess the pc version is going to release in US at $80, so i'll probably go with the ps3 version to save $30 since I don't have a bass guitar anyways

forrest

formerly nacire
I've been playing for quite a while and it really made me up my game and greatly improve my playing ability. Having said that though, while it features songs with some very advanced playing techniques it doesn't actually explain how to do some of them, which will confuse the hell out of your average beginner. Specifically concepts like sweep picking and tapping are literally not explained at all despite certain songs being impossible to play without understanding them. The charts are all there for these techniques, but if you don't understand musically what is going on in the song at that part it's just baffling as the game asks you to do seemingly "impossible" stuff.

Thanks for the info! I'll probably pick this up for PC during the holidays then. Need some Jimi, SRV and early Clapton stuff!

jgkspsx

guess the pc version is going to release in US at $80, so i'll probably go with the ps3 version to save $30 since I don't have a bass guitar anyways

Also, you can emulate bass with the four lower strings on your guitar. It effectively doubles the value of the music. Seriously, it's more than worth the $30.

mokeyjoe

This is coming out in the UK soon and its the first I've really heard about it.

Been watching it on Youtube, it looks fun but from the point of view of someone who's been playing guitar for a long time and is a pretty 'advanced' player is it still worth getting? It seems like it'd be fun to blast through Freebird or a bit of Megadeth or something with the full band but are there niggles there that'll end up being frustrating?

So, this comes out wednesday in Europe.
What's GAF verdict: for someone who has never played a guitar and can't even read basic notes will It be useful? Fun to play at least?

I have a Squier who's been collecting dust from more than 2 years now and this might be the perfect occasion to learn something.

gWiR6.png

So, this comes out wednesday in Europe.
What's GAF verdict: for someone who has never played a guitar and can't even read basic notes will It be useful? Fun to play at least?

I have a Squier who's been collecting dust from more than 2 years now and this might be the perfect occasion to learn something.

Yes, it's designed for people like you.

Barmaley

Neo Member
Does anyone know if the guitar included in the bundle is any good? I'm thinking of picking up the PC bundle, and 200€ is pretty much the ceiling of what I can afford at the moment.

Barmaley

Neo Member
It's an excellent starter guitar but buying your own is always going to be a better option.

Thanks, an excellent starter guitar is good enough for me.
Just preordered the pc bundle for 160€. Considering that the game costs around 60€, I 'd say that 100€ for a guitar ain't that bad.
And now to wait for 3 weeks. I forgot how it feels to wait for eagerly anticipated games :(

King_Moc

Banned
Hmmm...doesn't appear in my library. Hopefully that'll sort itself out soon.

Amusing to see that they've added a demo. Do they think people will pay £20 for the cable just to play the demo?

If Scorehero hasn't done it yet (figured out custom songs), it won't be easy...

YpMoF.png

The Shins - Caring is Creepy

DLC Next Week:

Gary Clarke Jr. - Bright Lights
Grace Potter and The Nocturnals - Paris
The Shins - Caring is Creepy

Does the Steam version include any DLC? And I assume any lag problems are gone on the PC version?

There won't be DLC till the game is officially released in October.

Lag seems to be minimal. Latency and other things can be adjusted per instructions found here Steam\steamapps\common\Rocksmith\RocksmithConfiguration.pdf

I cant find a single store or webshop in the Netherlands which sells the cable separately. Guess i have to go the old-fashioned way and order a dvd!

I just bought this, Playstation 3 version, and no real complaints so far. No real lag issues, load times are decent enough, and in fact because your guitar is given a random amp to play around with, usually end way too soon. Also cool that you can play bass with your regular guitar (set bass emulation).

As this has all the bass stuff included, perhaps it is better than the version was when it released?

So far, really happy with the 'game' (I'm not calling it a real game until there are online leaderboards ;) ).

Now that I have the cable, I may try the Steam version as well, and if it ends up being good, who knows even double-dip, we'll see. I'm not so sure less lag is guaranteed though - PC sound input isn't that hot generally either, and if they did a half decent job with Cell programming (no guarantees of course) then that should be just as capable for this job as the fastest i7s.

So far, very happy!

Took about an hour for it to get challenging.

Don't know about the PC version (yet), but I tried hooking up my Line 6 HD500, which has USB out, and that didn't seem to work at least ('unknown USB device')

Played through to 363 Brannan and I'm now a local headliner. I've occasionally played a song twice if I liked it or wasn't good enough. No idea if I'm making swift progress, but the line going almost straight up most of the time is encouraging ... Have to stop playing now, but have really enjoyed it so far. The Muse song in particular was very satisfying. ;)

Great game. If you've got an electric guitar in your home, this game is highly recommended.

Demo downloaded fine for me by the way, haven't tried it yet though. Will do soon.

EDIT: tried the PC demo, have to change the graphics settings, but then it seems pretty good. Doesn't seem less laggy really for the effects, but overall it plays very nice, and being able to play in Stereoscopic 3D is definitely a huge bonus for this type of note highway :)

Yikes, the framerate on the PS3 goes down the drain when the arena gets large and filled with a big audience. Fortunately the tracking doesn't seem to suffer much, but it's a big downside. I'd rather have an option to disable audience altogether if possible. Fortunately I imagine that won't be an issue when I'm playing individual songs, but still, shame on you developers ... ! I guess I'm lucky I can switch to PC later if possible, but really ...

On the plus side, Are You Gonna Go My Way and High And Dry coming up ... joy!

EDIT: thank god, it went back to normal for now ... pfew.

This game is great.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There won't be DLC till the game is officially released in October.

Lag seems to be minimal. Latency and other things can be adjusted per instructions found here Steam\steamapps\common\Rocksmith\RocksmithConfiguration.pdf

Hrm. I'm just wondering if going through a laptop on board sound thing will have the same issues as optical audio on the console versions.

And I was actually wondering if the PC version would be a "game of the year" edition and include DLC released for the consoles already "in the box". Probably not, I imagine, but it'd be a nice reason to double dip.

If only they'd license K-on! songs for the game. :p

littleornothin

Neo Member
Got this last week for ps3. Noticed some framrate problems as well..
But otherwise its pretty cool.

Used to play guitar when I was young, like 20-25 yrs ago :)
Only problem I have is that the sound of my guitar is very low. If I crank up the amp a bit I get nasty feedback.. :S

What do you mean crank up the amp a bit? You should plug your USB cable straight into your guitar? Or are you getting feedback because your strings vibrate because you've got the Rocksmith audio-out into an amp really loud? In that case, use headphones. ;)

Personally, I wouldn't mind one or two jazz things ;)

Top Bottom