• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith |OT| While My Guitar Gently Weeps

I don't believe its possible to get no lag over HDMI ..just use analog cable to your receiver and put it in stereo mode for best results

I have one TV, into which I have my PC plugged in on the first port, and the PS3 on the second, both over HDMI. The PS3 has practically no lag whatsoever, and the PC has such a huge ass amount of lag that I have to plug a headphone into the PC's analog headphone out on the front. Once I do that though, it's perfect.

But yeah, so in theory it shouild be possible to have little to no lag over HDMI, but it very much depends on the hardware driving it. Of course, setting everything to stereo at all levels and disabeling any post-processing on the sound is the first step to help there, but for the PS3 at least, I didn't have to do anything and I think both PC and PS3 are configured for just stereo out (as they are only directly connected to this TV in my study).

TV is a cheap 27"LG with passive Stereo 3D support that I paid 270 euro for by the way. Very pleased with it so far, hooked up my old 360 to it with component now as well (so I get sound without hassle), though that's a little bit disappointing as it doesn't look as good as VGA did.

Aw man, no CD-Key. I hope Ubisoft respond fairly quickly, been looking forward to this for a while.

What do you mean with that? Didn't you buy it over steam? Or does steam require a CD key after the beta? I think I may only have played the beta so far on PC

I have one TV, into which I have my PC plugged in on the first port, and the PS3 on the second, both over HDMI. The PS3 has practically no lag whatsoever, and the PC has such a huge ass amount of lag that I have to plug a headphone into the PC's analog headphone out on the front. Once I do that though, it's perfect.

But yeah, so in theory it shouild be possible to have little to no lag over HDMI, but it very much depends on the hardware driving it. Of course, setting everything to stereo at all levels and disabeling any post-processing on the sound is the first step to help there, but for the PS3 at least, I didn't have to do anything and I think both PC and PS3 are configured for just stereo out (as they are only directly connected to this TV in my study).

TV is a cheap 27"LG with passive Stereo 3D support that I paid 270 euro for by the way. Very pleased with it so far, hooked up my old 360 to it with component now as well (so I get sound without hassle), though that's a little bit disappointing as it doesn't look as good as VGA did.

What do you mean with that? Didn't you buy it over steam? Or does steam require a CD key after the beta? I think I may only have played the beta so far on PC

Purchased from Amazon as it includes the cable, but there's no key on the manual or in the case. There's a specific page up on the Ubi support site for it so I guess I'm not the only one.

Thrakier

It tells you the technique after you've played the song that introduces it. It's kinda weird.

Well, I still don't know what they want from me. And the dynamic difficulty is rather wacky I got to say. It's good in theory, but in reality it doesn't turn out so well...so far.

Well, I still don't know what they want from me. And the dynamic difficulty is rather wacky I got to say. It's good in theory, but in reality it doesn't turn out so well...so far.

It wants you to play the notes you get pretty much perfectly. Once you do, it levels up to show more notes automatically until it maxes out (both things it tells you as it happens - phrase level up / phrase maximised, or something like that).

Things you can do to make it more interesting if you're already quite good faster is do some of the technique exercises and make them all gold. This will make your starting level for songs go up (as your rating goes up), and you'll be more familiar with the techniques before you get them in the songs, should they not be immediately obvious (so far for me they have been except flagiolettes, but I got that pretty quickly)

Another way to get the difficulty of a song up more quickly is going into Riff Repeater, select the parts of the song that you want to level up quicker (usually good to do it with more difficult things) and practice them using Top Level (or whatever it's called - my PS3 is on Dutch right now for my kid, so I'm not sure of the English names).

Here, press pause and now you can actually set the level to your own preference. If you think you can play it 100% right away, just maximise the level, then play it. If you succeed, this will be the new level for this section in the song in any mode from here on out.

I've just been doing this to work on my solos for Between The Lines and Slither. Those bends are killing my fingertips - I have a slightly thicker than average E string and that's really killing me. You also want to retune more often and retune by ear if you can or it can get tricky to get it exactly right (unless your strings are more flexible).

I've had to put in some serious work just to get the first Solo of Slither up from 42% to 57%. It will be incredibly satisfying once I can play that solo at 100% though - I'll probably post a youtube online if I ever manage that, and then find a way to play that live on stage somewhere. ;)

mash440

Neo Member
Another way to get the difficulty of a song up more quickly is going into Riff Repeater, select the parts of the song that you want to level up quicker (usually good to do it with more difficult things) and practice them using Top Level (or whatever it's called - my PS3 is on Dutch right now for my kid, so I'm not sure of the English names).

When you use leveler, it leaves it at the last level you failed, unless you set it manually.

That way, you can get it as high as you can normally, then you can step into accelerator to get it down perfectly. It's actually a pretty good system, but the interface does get in the way a lot. I've found the DLC tends to be less good as the core content when gradually increasing the difficulty though.

I've just been doing this to work on my solos for Between The Lines and Slither. Those bends are killing my fingertips - I have a slightly thicker than average E string and that's really killing me. You also want to retune more often and retune by ear if you can or it can get tricky to get it exactly right (unless your strings are more flexible).

I've found the single note version of Are you gonna be my way to be hardest on the bends. Those 2nd fret bend take a while to get used to.

The DLC packs on Steam cost £24, £24 and £20 in the UK. That's the equivalent of $39, $39 and $32 USD. Not impressed.

I've made a list of all the songs which don't feature in any of the UK song packs. It might interest you.

Safe to buy singles said:
Singles

Black Keys - Tighten Up (NOT in the Black Keys Collection)
Three Days Grace - I Hate Everything About You
Evanescence - Bring Me to Life
Lamb of God - Redneck
The Darkness - I Believe in a Thing Called Love
David Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World
Mountain - Mississippi Queen
Twisted Sister - We're Not Gonna Take It
The Blues Brothers Band - Soul Man
B. B. King - The Thrill Is Gone
Pearl Jam - Jeremy
Pearl Jam - Black
Gary Clark Jr. - Bright Lights
Grace Potter and the Nocturnals - Paris (Ooh La La)
The Shins - Sharing is Caring

Song Packs

Judas Priest Song PacksPack
3 Doors Down Song Pack
The Black Keys Song Pack
Megadeth Song Pack

Time Saver Squeezing the Gaming Public for Money Packs

Hidden Songs Unlocked
Arcade Games Unlocked
Guitars Unlocked (ooh pretty)
Venues Unlocked
Pedals and Presets Unlocked

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Does anyone else have the issue where Scale Runner constantly gets choked up? It's unplayable for me...

DrBo42

I've had some really bizarre framerate issues until I put the game in windowed mode (can do it at any time by holding shift and pressing enter once past the main menu)

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I've had some really bizarre framerate issues until I put the game in windowed mode (can do it at any time by holding shift and pressing enter once past the main menu)

A restart fixed it. Weird. Everything plays great now.

But my fingers hurt. I've had the game since Friday and I've already put 14 hours into it. haha

Gotta wait for the callouses to set back in I guess. I haven't really been playing much recently.

I actually got a blister from my last solo exercise from a lot of bends - I have a slightly thicker than average E string if I remember correctly, and that's killing me now. My fingers are really readjusting themselves to the punishment though, I can feel it while typing ...

Game is really impressive, surprised at how well it works. However, I'm trying to learn the pre-chorus to Rebel Rebel on bass using the riff repeater and it keeps saying I've mastered it and ends the exercise when I know I'm not comfortable playing it yet. Is there a way to do the riff repeater thing and just make it loop until I decide to quit?

Game is really impressive, surprised at how well it works. However, I'm trying to learn the pre-chorus to Rebel Rebel on bass using the riff repeater and it keeps saying I've mastered it and ends the exercise when I know I'm not comfortable playing it yet. Is there a way to do the riff repeater thing and just make it loop until I decide to quit?

Riff Repeater -> Accelerator -> Pause -> Turn Accelerator Off

I think that works

Riff Repeater -> Accelerator -> Pause -> Turn Accelerator Off

I think that works

Thanks, that's perfect.

I'm also wondering if I should knuckle down and get good at using my fingers instead of a pick on bass. I'm way better with a pick but I guess finger plucking is a good skill to learn? Like, I can do Plug in Baby with a pick but can't get my fingers to move fast enough to do it the "proper" way. I used to play electric guitar which is why I'm already familiar with using a pick.

London, UK – October 22 th, 2012 – Today, Ubisoft ® announced that Rocksmith™ Classic Rock DLC pack is now available for download on Xbox LIVE for Xbox 360 ® in Europe, the Middle-East and Asia. It will be available on October 31 st, 2012 on the Playstation Network for Playstation ®3. This pack will be followed by the Alternative Rock pack and the Metal pack to enrich even more Rocksmith’s track list with different rock styles.

Highly acclaimed in North America, Rocksmith is a revolution in the music game genre: for the first time ever, players can plug any real electric guitar or bass into their Xbox 360 ® or PlayStation ®3 console. Rocksmith is the real thing for those who are serious about guitar learning and playing.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press...LC_pack_now_available_twomore_coming_soon.php

I'm thinking of picking this up on Steam, but then I'd need to buy the cable separately, which seems a bit unnecessary to me since I already have my guitar hooked up to my computer through my sound card. I read a forum post somewhere that there already was a mod so you could play with any cable, but aside from that post I can't find any info at all. Does anyone here know about this?

I'm thinking of picking this up on Steam, but then I'd need to buy the cable separately, which seems a bit unnecessary to me since I already have my guitar hooked up to my computer through my sound card. I read a forum post somewhere that there already was a mod so you could play with any cable, but aside from that post I can't find any info at all. Does anyone here know about this?

It's Steamworks so you might as well just buy it retail to get the cable included. Ubisoft did kind of forget to include serial numbers with the game though so be prepared to contact them to get one D:

It's Steamworks so you might as well just buy it retail to get the cable included. Ubisoft did kind of forget to include serial numbers with the game though so be prepared to contact them to get one D:

Hmm, you're right. It's about the same price too. Anyway my question still stands, as I already have one setup I'm using for guitar rig it feels unnecessary to have two cables, unless you can use the Rocksmith cable with guitar rig with good quality and latency.

Thrakier

God damn this game is hard...and the thing is, just from the game structure, you really don't learn a song. It's far too forgiving and advances you too fast.

bs5uZ.png

Avenged Sevenfold next week

Thrakier

For some reason I got problems with bendings. Seems like the game doesn't recognie them. When I'm in training mode with a bending sequence I never get a level up even when I hit every note. Is there a special trick to it?

For some reason I got problems with bendings. Seems like the game doesn't recognie them. When I'm in training mode with a bending sequence I never get a level up even when I hit every note. Is there a special trick to it?

Bends are probably the game's biggest weak spot. The easiest cheat is to play a half-note or so up so that the game hears the desired bend point.

mash440

Neo Member
I'm a bit unhappy with how some of the DLC is mixed. It seems like just the studio mix and a guitar tab on top.

I was under the impression they seperated the original guitar track from the mix, but from what I can see on the DLC, they don't do that. It's just like playing over a CD :(.

Or maybe it's just a few songs where the guitar is more forward in the mix, making it 100% obvious it is there, even while you are playing.

Facism

Alright, thanks to Paul at Ubisoft technical support for sorting my problem out. Absolutely stellar job. polite, precise and prompt.

Facism

oof, my muscles have forgotten how to play guitar lol.

Brilliant bit of software so far. I like how the songs ramp up in difficutly as you get it right, but wish it slowed down a little.

Anaslex

Banned
I love this game! Was wondering if there is a guide that shows what the different symbols mean on the fretboard.

I've been playing it for two days now and sometimes I get certain ones which I don't recognize from the training

Khaz

Meh I have a problem, the game keeps crashing, always at the same spot: right after tuning when you have to play each string to verify them, the game crashes at the second or third string played. Very annoying and I can't move forward.

Is there a way to skip the tutorial?

alazz

Just got it, already love it. The input lag isn't too bad, and I think I'm just getting used to it lol

Overall the song list is pretty good, but I think I need more Dead Weather. "I Can't Hear You" is easy and I'm close to 100% on Master Mode with it. Hoopefully they listen to my request for Jawbreaker and Die by the Drop! I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

Anaslex

Banned
Meh I have a problem, the game keeps crashing, always at the same spot: right after tuning when you have to play each string to verify them, the game crashes at the second or third string played. Very annoying and I can't move forward.

Is there a way to skip the tutorial?

I was having statrup crashes and fixed them by right clicking the properties of rocksmith icon and selecting 'run as admin'

I love this game! Was wondering if there is a guide that shows what the different symbols mean on the fretboard.

I've been playing it for two days now and sometimes I get certain ones which I don't recognize from the training

Normally, you get a training offered right after you've encountered them the first time.

Alternatively, you can learn all of them at your own pace by going through all of the techniques exercises, as those cover all of them.

Thanks, that's perfect.

I'm also wondering if I should knuckle down and get good at using my fingers instead of a pick on bass. I'm way better with a pick but I guess finger plucking is a good skill to learn? Like, I can do Plug in Baby with a pick but can't get my fingers to move fast enough to do it the "proper" way. I used to play electric guitar which is why I'm already familiar with using a pick.

I say go for it. You'll never be able to slap and pop if you don't know how to be fast and accurate without a pick. Also, to be honest, playing bass with a pick just isn't the right way to do it. Especially if you want to appreciate the bass as a unique instrument, I think you have to learn to play with your fingers.

mash440

Neo Member
Thanks, that's perfect.

I say go for it. You'll never be able to slap and pop if you don't know how to be fast and accurate without a pick. Also, to be honest, playing bass with a pick just isn't the right way to do it. Especially if you want to appreciate the bass as a unique instrument, I think you have to learn to play with your fingers.

I just started playing bass, using Rocksmith as a tutor. I do the pick recommended songs with a pick, and the finger recommended ones with the finger.

Just make sure you focus on alternating fingers, even when changing strings.

Some songs have you alternative between the same string multiple times. This happens at the end of chorus on plug in baby with at the 4th and 5th fret, and also during one beat of the main riff.

In the case of Plug In Baby

Code:
.....[B]1...2...2...1.[/B]..2...1...2

----------7---7-----------------7
---------------------------7-----
-----5-----------5---5----------
---------------------------------------

NB: Theres an odd number of notes, so one finger has to strike two strings at the same time.

Also it might be handy to use the accelerator.

Top Bottom