• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith |OT| While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Facism

Having mad trouble with the game registering bends and chords.

Guess i'll give my guitar a proper go-over tomorrow with some new strings and proper tuning including intonation.

Khaz

Meh I have a problem, the game keeps crashing, always at the same spot: right after tuning when you have to play each string to verify them, the game crashes at the second or third string played. Very annoying and I can't move forward.

Is there a way to skip the tutorial?

I managed go past through it by being quick enough and blocking my strings. Now it does it again in songs, after the second or third note it just crashes. I think it's because I don't have enough RAM and the game doesn't like swapping. If I don't play I can go through the song but it's not really fun :/

I should get more tomorrow, I'll see what happens.

Khaz

In the case of Plug In Baby

Code:
.....[B]1...2...2...1.[/B]..2...1...2

----------7---7-----------------7
---------------------------7-----
-----5-----------5---5----------
---------------------------------------

Where does that come from? Is it how Rocksmith asks you to play it?
and what are these 1221212 before the tab?

Thrakier

Does this game have problems recognizing chords? I was playing that zombie chord arcade game and sometimes I didn't know which chord they wanted (Like minor, major, 7th) and I just played the one I knew and it still worked although it surely wasn't the one they wanted.

mash440

Neo Member
Where does that come from? Is it how Rocksmith asks you to play it?
and what are these 1221212 before the tab?

It's the main riff to Plug In Baby on bass (hence 4 strings). The fastest part of the song.

Guitar tabs online are usually shown with the high string on the top. This is opposite to what Rocksmith shows.

The 1, 2 are my suggestion of which RH fingers to use in order to play it easily.

DagsJT

Just had my PC copy dispatched. I loved Rock Band and wanted to learn guitar but never got around to it. From what I've read, this should be a great starting point. Very excited.

HpJr3.png

Rush next week

DagsJT

As a complete novice to guitar, this game is pretty amazing. I'm still struggling to remember where frets are and actually get my fingers there, and then try and find the right string as well. But when I pull off a little streak, it feels so damn good.

I need to get a plectrum as well as, even though I've got tiny hands (which doesn't help trying to stretch to reach different frets) I'm still not getting the strings right.

Fantastic game though and so eager to play more. After 90 mins, OK felt like I was able to hit a few notes in succession and felt quite pleased with myself. But then my wrist and fingers just felt so cramped up and I couldn't manage a single note so had to stop for the night.

Anaslex

Banned
Amazing game! I was wondering what is the best way to improve your playing skills out of these two options. I'd say my a beginner that can easily play all the major and minor chords in open and barr positions, but struggle a bit with solos

1. Master individual songs to 100% mastery and move to the next
2. Keep playing events to increase level and score

Xyber

So I am planning on getting myself a guitar and this game really soon. Any tips for DLC that I should get? I will probably get most of the bigger bands sooner or later, but are there any smaller less known bands that have fun songs? And keep in mind that I will be a total beginner when it comes to electric guitar, I've only been playing on my sisters acoustic for a couple of months.

Has anyone released songs made with the custom song creator yet?

So I am planning on getting myself a guitar and this game really soon. Any tips for DLC that I should get? I will probably get most of the bigger bands sooner or later, but are there any smaller less known bands that have fun songs? And keep in mind that I will be a total beginner when it comes to electric guitar, I've only been playing on my sisters acoustic for a couple of months.
Buy songs that you want to learn how to play. The "fun song to play" DLC from RB/GH doesn't apply as much because a less fun-to-play song that I really like will always get preference over a more fun-to-play song that I'm soft on.

For example, I don't think Play With Fire by the RS is hugely fun to play (although it's good training on finger plucking) but I love hearing and playing the song so I keep at it. House of the Rising Sun is similar (although once you figure out how to play it it's a lot more fun, as the game does a poor job of explaining how to best play it): I just keep going back to it trying to get better.

Has anyone released songs made with the custom song creator yet?
No. I think it's progressing, though.

Xyber

Buy songs that you want to learn how to play. The "fun song to play" DLC from RB/GH doesn't apply as much because a less fun-to-play song that I really like will always get preference over a more fun-to-play song that I'm soft on.

For example, I don't think Play With Fire by the RS is hugely fun to play (although it's good training on finger plucking) but I love hearing and playing the song so I keep at it. House of the Rising Sun is similar (although once you figure out how to play it it's a lot more fun, as the game does a poor job of explaining how to best play it): I just keep going back to it trying to get better.

That's true. I have to go through and listen to all the DLC some day.

No. I think it's progressing, though.

All right. It's not like I won't have any songs to play when I get the game anyway. :p
Found this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha_RdPrfkKo Looks promising, the repeated chords needs to be replaced like it is in the regular songs though and the fretboard speed needs to be increased.

And I must say, they are really killing it with the DLC for this game. So many great songs and bands. Just going through the first page of DLC on Steam and I like pretty much everything (goodbye money :( ).

esAyI.jpg

Time for another DLC hint, bass edition! Believe it or not the band that put out this song in the 70's began as a barbershop vocal group.

yesssss Parliament

Ultimatum

Banned
My copy just arrived from Amazon (ordered from the black friday deal), but I just tried entering my key into Steam and it says it's a duplicate :'( Who do I contact to fix this? Amazon? Ubisoft?

Xyber

My copy just arrived from Amazon (ordered from the black friday deal), but I just tried entering my key into Steam and it says it's a duplicate :'( Who do I contact to fix this? Amazon? Ubisoft?

Probably Ubisoft.

Buying myself a guitar and this tomorrow. Can you still get games that is missing the cd-key in EU or have they fixed that yet?

MtRdZ.jpg

Great news, for the next 3 weeks we'll have a new DLC release per week! Here's your first hint for next Tuesday's: this band’s first album was produced by the drummer and lead guitarist’s father...

PANTERA

garath

This sounds really cool. My 5 year old has been in love with guitars and bass guitars for awhile now and my wife and I just bought him a junior bass for xmas. However, neither of us know how to play to teach him (I'm a percussionist). I'm actually eyeing Rocksmith as a way to teach myself to teach my son and later transition into him learning on his own. It seems like a really cool way to get some immediate positive feedback out of learning the instrument.

Any positive experiences from people that have never picked up a guitar before?

I stopped playing this shortly after starting the game due to work and have been planning to pick it back up soon. In the year or so that it's been out, has there been any proof/reports/claims of anyone going from beginner to Slash due to this game so far?

Is this game truly an awesome and effective learning tool?

LkPr

I've been on the fence with this game for awhile, mainly because I have never played a guitar in my life so I'm thinking I would need to get the full bundle, which is $179.99. How good is the Guitar that comes in that bundle? Seeing as the game is about $69.99 in stores is there a cheaper Guitar option out there (meaning are guitars that I could possibly get for under $100 any good?) ... and how is this game for those who have never played a guitar before??

DagsJT

I've been on the fence with this game for awhile, mainly because I have never played a guitar in my life so I'm thinking I would need to get the full bundle, which is $179.99. How good is the Guitar that comes in that bundle? Seeing as the game is about $69.99 in stores is there a cheaper Guitar option out there (meaning are guitars that I could possibly get for under $100 any good?) ... and how is this game for those who have never played a guitar before??

As a total novice to playing a real guitar, I feel like I've learnt a LOT since I got the game a few weeks ago. I'm still awful obviously, but I'm a lot better at finding the right strings and moving my fingers into place.

It's been a fantastic learning tool for me and I'll be buying a Yamaha Pacifica 112H around Christmas time because I've had so much fun with this.

Xyber

I have now owned the game and an electric guitar for 4 days and I have 20 hours in the game already according to steam. It's so much fun and I have played way more than I would have if I didn't own the game.

My fingers weren't used to steel strings so the first 2 days it hurt a little, but it's getting better now. Still having some trouble adjusting to the length of the neck compared to my acoustic so I can get really confused from time to time. :p

I'd say this is a good tool for beginners who wants to learn how to play guitar, but if you've never touched a guitar before playing this it can get a little too hard too fast. Since I've played on my acoustic for a few months I don't have too much trouble with chords, but stuff that requires me to jump around on different strings is my weakness right now but I can feel that I'm slowly getting better at it.

Is there a way to flip the fretboard as it appears on screen? I'm used to reading tablature, where the low E string is on the bottom of the fret diagram, but here it's reversed and I'm finding it sooo counter intuitive. Same goes for the chord boxes, super confusing.

sladeums

Is there a way to flip the fretboard as it appears on screen? I'm used to reading tablature, where the low E string is on the bottom of the fret diagram, but here it's reversed and I'm finding it sooo counter intuitive. Same goes for the chord boxes, super confusing.

yup

Menu>Options>Game Settings>String Layout

Xyber

I sat down with the Plug In Baby riff for about 45 minutes today determined to learn it because that was the only part of the song that was barely leveled up. I went from not being being able to hit 5 notes in a row to knowing the whole thing and can now play it easily without the game. It doesn't sound amazing, but hey, I've only owned the guitar for 6 days now. http://yourlisten.com/channel/content/16930725/plug_in_baby

And fuck yeah for Pantera!

I sat down with the Plug In Baby riff for about 45 minutes today determined to learn it because that was the only part of the song that was barely leveled up. I went from not being being able to hit 5 notes in a row to knowing the whole thing and can now play it easily without the game. It doesn't sound amazing, but hey, I've only owned the guitar for 6 days now. http://yourlisten.com/channel/content/16930725/plug_in_baby

And fuck yeah for Pantera!
6 days and you got Plug In Baby mastered? Pretty impressive. Really fun song to play, really feels like you're rocking.

One thing I would strongly encourage you to do to is for your sound issue is buy a pedal that has two outputs and have one of the outputs go to your PC/PS3/360 and the other go to an amp. Rocksmith kind of "pretty-ups" your sound which is great since sounding bad can really frustrate a lot of beginners before they even get going, but at the same time it's kind of a hindrance. If you have your guitar also plugged into an amp you'll hear your own raw sound and naturally clean it up the more you play.
Also by using a pedal to split the output you'll be able to keep that expensive Rocksmith cable nice and protected while you use a dirt cheap cable to connect your guitar to the pedal so you can feel comfortable to really move around and rock out while you play, if you're into that sort of stuff

I impulse bought this game for £30 during black friday deals on Amazon UK. I have never played any guitar in my life, can this make me play one?

Top Bottom