• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue Legacy |OT| My Great, Great, Great Uncle Who?

~Kinggi~

Banned
I think people wondering how long/short it is are missing the point. Anyone who has beaten it at this point hasn't covered a third of the upgrades or armor/runes to collect(which is fine, if they are skilled enough to do it). I feel like the real game is in just powering up the character. The eventuality in which I absolutely destroy the bosses can wait.

I do wonder what governs the Lich King HP though. sometimes it seems capped very low and others I get up to 300+.

Yeah exactly, im playing for the upgrades. Havent even tried to beat a boss yet.

Edgeward

Beat the 2nd boss by skin of my teeth. Jesus, they do not fuck around. They are some bullet hell ass bosses. The 3rd boss bent me over so bad.

And man, that hedgehog curse. I died ASAP once I got that since I had a ton of money and didn't want to lose most of it.

Agkel

Yes, Don't Worry about taking your sweet time finishing the game. My first playthrough was about 6 Hrs and it involved locking the castle constantly (after I leveled up a bit) to go straight to the Boss fights. I died 15 times in a row before beating the 3rd Boss. And I also only had about 20% of the things unlocked in the end.

The only reason I rushed my first playthrough is that I played the demo close to 10 hrs, so I felt that the current monsters weren't a challenge, plus I didnt want to get spoiled in this thread either :D

For my save+ I'm going to take my sweet ass time, especially since I'm getting my butt kicked and I cannot pull another marathon like I did yesterday -_-

Oneironaut

Neo Member
Just tried the third boss a few times and couldn't kill him. I had the best luck with the Barbarian King/Queen, using the shout to get rid of the projectiles. I'll need to grind out a bit more health before I try again.

The tiny furniture in the little dwarf-sized passageway is adorable.

roguelegacy_2013_06_29_16_50_51_297_by_realghostvids-d6b5tsc.png

Agkel

Damn it, either I overestimated my Mega Man skills or I shouldn't have rushed through playthrough 1.

I might erase and start over! :O

aravuus

With magic that damages everyone on screen? Pretty sure I came by one like that, I think it was called crow or crows or something

Agkel

With magic that damages everyone on screen? Pretty sure I came by one like that, I think it was called crow or crows or something

Yes, there are several magics that go through bricks, but most of those "behind a wall" kill everything, are achieved with the crow spell

aravuus

Yes, there are several magics that go through bricks, but most of those "behind a wall" kill everything, are achieved with the crow spell

Come to think of it, is there a way to affect how often you see certain spells? I've played for 5 hours and I've seen crow once. I see even time stop more frequently.

Shaneus

Magic?

Edit: Oh wait, as *that* character (who I assume isn't a mage)? Don't think you can. There are just some challenges you can't complete with your current skillset (a la the "no jumping" ones you can't finish until you have those runes).

Nymerio

Chakram and Scythe spells, respectively.

The Chakram spells for the first one and scythes for the second one. Crows would work for both since they attack any enemy in the room.

Magic?

Edit: Oh wait, as *that* character (who I assume isn't a mage)? Don't think you can. There are just some challenges you can't complete with your current skillset (a la the "no jumping" ones you can't finish until you have those runes).

Ahh, thanks. I know the chakram but I've never had the crows.

Ferrio

Banned
Just got my most gold ever.... then got hedgehogs curse. Figured it was sonic related... and sure enough... ugh.

Also any game that has quotes from UHF is insta win.

Nymerio

0G7jEAVl.jpg

This is one annoying trait. After playing a couple of minutes like this I kinda get this flashbacks when I'm playing normally again. It's like my brain is expecting the knight to go downwards when jumping.

SethMode

Neo Member
Little help here (I don't think it's been asked before, apologies if I missed it): on the Angel Chest rooms that are Defeat all Enemies, and most of the enemies are behind a wall, what am I missing? Do I need to use magic? Each time I search all over for some sort of hidden passage, but never find anything.

aravuus

Little help here (I don't think it's been asked before, apologies if I missed it): on the Angel Chest rooms that are Defeat all Enemies, and most of the enemies are behind a wall, what am I missing? Do I need to use magic? Each time I search all over for some sort of hidden passage, but never find anything.

Usually a magic that goes through the walls or affects anyone on the screen. Scythes and crow work.

Beat the 2nd boss by skin of my teeth. Jesus, they do not fuck around. They are some bullet hell ass bosses. The 3rd boss bent me over so bad.

And man, that hedgehog curse. I died ASAP once I got that since I had a ton of money and didn't want to lose most of it.

Yep, Khidr is the bane of my existence right now.
When he starts that spinning thing, ARGH. I think I need to rotate around him though. He was much more manageable in the demo.

MMaRsu

Black and white and nostalgia are surprisingly difficult. Can't read my life bar.

Hard to see some projectiles too! This game is really really really good, I love playing it with my DS3. Picked this up yesterday but haven't put more than an hour into it. I'm around lvl 21, but havent been able to beat the first boss yet in the castle stage.

This game is great, but I had a power outage while I was playing and now the game crashes right after the Cellar Door logo finishes when I start it up. Any ideas? Main website doesn't look like it has a forum.

EDIT: Incidentally I was looking through the directory and there's two files named 'HeroNames.txt' and 'HeroineNames.txt' in the \roguelegacy\content folder that lets you add names that can be randomly picked for your heroes.

Nymerio

It is? Cool, I'll have to buy mine available when I get home tonight. My major hesitation was seeing -30 for health, but I suppose if I'm a Barbarian this isn't as much of an issue.

Yes, I don't know how many pieces I had equipped, but there were runs where I got 11 HP per kill.

I've now beaten all but the last boss, where I keep getting my ass handed to me. As far as the other bosses go, I've found the dungeon boss to be the easiest.

That carnival clown is such a douche. "Can't even hit 8 targets? Pfff, good luck with the rest of the castle."

Oneironaut

Neo Member
This game is great, but I had a power outage while I was playing and now the game crashes right after the Cellar Door logo finishes when I start it up. Any ideas? Main website doesn't look like it has a forum.

EDIT: Incidentally I was looking through the directory and there's two files named 'HeroNames.txt' and 'HeroineNames.txt' in the \roguelegacy\content folder that lets you add names that can be randomly picked for your heroes.

Looks like something might have gone wrong with your save. Try finding that and moving it to a new location, then see if the game works.

garath

Yay. Finally beat the second boss. All these great ideas on how to beat him and in the end it was a paladin with a chakarm. Go figure.

Copenap

Finally got around to playing the game. How does the level system work? I read something about scaling enemies but I don't even know what determines my level.
Oh, and which boss is the first one, the
giant Eye im the castle or th Skull in the forest?

Shaneus

Holy shit, I skip all vertigo traits lol. I can't believe people actually pick those!
I didn't know what it was initially, so rather than waste the playthrough, I actually dug a mirror out that was about three times wider than my monitor just so I could play it. Died in three or four screens anyway :/

Wunder

I didn't know what it was initially, so rather than waste the playthrough, I actually dug a mirror out that was about three times wider than my monitor just so I could play it. Died in three or four screens anyway :/

LOL that sounds hilarious

Finally got around to playing the game. How does the level system work? I read something about scaling enemies but I don't even know what determines my level.
Oh, and which boss is the first one, the
giant Eye im the castle or th Skull in the forest?

The Giant Eye

Top Bottom