• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue Legacy |OT| My Great, Great, Great Uncle Who?

So what are people focusing on leveling up in the skill tree?

Also, can you really screw it up at all? I mean I know stuff gets more expensive as you buy, do things ever get so prohibitively expensive that you can really only focus on a couple of specific stats to upgrade or whatever?

In general I've just been trying to get one of everything to unlock more stuff and then putting a few points into health, attack, and weight here and there

Mikey Jr.

Also, can you really screw it up at all? I mean I know stuff gets more expensive as you buy, do things ever get so prohibitively expensive that you can really only focus on a couple of specific stats to upgrade or whatever?

In general I've just been trying to get one of everything to unlock more stuff and then putting a few points into health, attack, and weight here and there

Got up to extra money x3, and got the miner class. After that, been focusing on health, armor, crit chance, weight, and miscellaneous.

But I have been really focusing on money, getting runes that boost money as well. I think I get like 18 or 20 gold per coin on my miner run. It is pretty awesome.

zulux21

so it's probably been mentioned somewhere, but i didn't see it recently.

what do you do with the
glowing balls of light in the forest.
.. they obviously do something but I can't figure out what.

Same, I've been basically spreading my money out everywhere. Since you lose it if you don't spend it, I end up filling in a lot of the cheap stuff just because there's nothing else to spend it on.

I've found it hard to really focus on one part of the tree since cost scales up so much as you go deeper -- you'd have to get a really good string of amazing runs in order to afford buying all the way down one branch.

Only thing I'd say to avoid is the one that decreases Charon's fee. It's so expensive that I doubt it'll ever pay for itself.

Nymerio

I hate spikes -_-

yekGIo7l.jpg

I always make it to last step and hit the wall. So frustrating.

CJxy3wjl.jpg

As for the skill tree: My first priority was to unlock all classes. After that I put at least one point in everything. The first thing I completely maxed out was the bonus gold thingy. I normally get like 17 or 18 gold from coins. Now I'm mostly putting points in the bonus life and bonus armor skill, with the occasional point in weight if I get new gear I want to wear. I mostly played with the Miner or Spelunker in the beginning because you get bonus gold.

New game ++ is really damn hard. New game plus I breezed through but hot damn i'm getting my ass kicked now. Assasin is the only character that does well because he does 600 damage crits.

Nymerio

New game ++ is really damn hard. New game plus I breezed through but hot damn i'm getting my ass kicked now. Assasin is the only character that does well because he does 600 damage crits.

Any tips on boss? I'm still on my first play through and I can't kill that fucker.

Does everyone else hate [class]
Dragons
as much as I do? Almost wish I didn't unlock them so they would stop showing up. I'm sure they can do some cool stuff with the right setup but ehhhhhhh

Yeah. I was pretty pumped to have him unlocked. Played him twice and didn't really like him.

Any tips on boss? I'm still on my first play through and I can't kill that fucker.
The eyeball guy is easy just avoid attacking at all while he shoots and focus on just dodging, then get you shots on him inbetween fire.

Ponce de leon is easy too, you have to kite him so a fast character is key. Run away until there is enough space and turn and strike. Rinse repeat until you get to the wall and jump over him and go the other way.

The slime boss is the easiest boss in the game. Every time you split the slime be sure to kill the to mages that spawn. They are what kill you. Kill the mages!!

I cant remember the other for some reason haha.

Um so the final dudes are easy. I recommend a barbarian class for the health or a hokage class for the damage. Just kite both bosses, they are easier to kite that Ponce. Again i recommend a fast character or trait in order to get distance.

Edit: general tip for everyone, be sure to max out crit %/dmg in new game plus and beyond, assassin becomes unstoppable as long as you can dodge. Also when playing assassin or really any character with low health, be sure to have at least 6hp drain per kill.

Nymerio

I got the other bosses, no problem. The final boss though is killing me. I can get through the first phase with a barbarian or something with a good hp pool, but the second phase is just brutal. Best try so far was with a giant barbarian king. I just drove him to one corner and kept attacking till he died, he didn't even get his skill off because I kept knocking him back. Died pretty fast during the second phase though.

I got the other bosses, no problem. The final boss though is killing me. I can get through the first phase with a barbarian or something with a good hp pool, but the second phase is just brutal. Best try so far was with a giant barbarian king. I just drove him to one corner and kept attacking till he died, he didn't even get his skill off because I kept knocking him back. Died pretty fast during the second phase though.
Well the second phase just comes down to your dodge skills, and you kiting. Also when he does the ground spike thing, as soon as they start to retract back, get to the boss as fast as possible. You will be able to get like 6 free shots on him.

Nymerio

OK, I'm getting better results now. I think I'm just too impatient, alway trying to get lots of hits in instead of playing it save. Got him almost down to 50%.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Halfway through New Game+ and I really wish this game was more roguelike (more random elements, more variance, interesting choices from the RNG gods out of nowhere to make you reconsider how you approach your current playthrough) and less of a grind-happy Super Meat Boy masochist platformer..

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Yeah it is definitely a step up. Assassin in a mix of slayer and dark gear is my goto character to make any kind of progress.

I wonder if there is new game +++ and if its just rooms of overlapping bosses.

Dragons
as much as I do? Almost wish I didn't unlock them so they would stop showing up. I'm sure they can do some cool stuff with the right setup but ehhhhhhh

How do you unlock that class? I've finished the game on normal and have at least 1 point in every available skill but the ability to unlock it hasn't appeared.

Copenap

Some blood gear is absolutely essential for me at the moment, just no means to get hp up again otherwhise. Preferably as Lich King, killer combo.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Game is the bestest thing ever.

Question, i just finally decided to go after the bosses. Im level 108 lol. I locked the castle down and beat them all quick except the final boss.

If i dont lock the castle are the bosses still beaten?

oh geez they should call new game++ something else. Like new game WTF might be more appropriate. You know how all of the monsters have a super-rare form? Not the mini-boss one that can spawn a chest if you beat it, but just a super special form of a normal mob?

yeah, in NG++ they replaced all the regular mobs with those special forms. :(

~Kinggi~

Banned
oh geez they should call new game++ something else. Like new game WTF might be more appropriate. You know how all of the monsters have a super-rare form? Not the mini-boss one that can spawn a chest if you beat it, but just a super special form of a normal mob?

yeah, in NG++ they replaced all the regular mobs with those special forms. :(

Thats what i love about it. They balanced and scaled the new games accordingly for more challenge. Im only on NG + though and its still giving a bit of a challenge. Basically just like i was starting the game again.

SethMode

Neo Member
Dragons

I was so pumped when I unlocked it...and yeah, it was pretty much a bummer after that. I like the unlimited flying because that's what I lean on usually, and I can get used to the no jumping, but only having that one basic attack is lame (I hope that I'm not doing it wrong).

Oneironaut

Neo Member
Just beat the fourth boss, he was surprisingly easy after struggling with the third and second bosses. It helped that I had a Barb Queen with PAD so that I could ignore all of the spike traps on the floor.

Now the final boss looks like he'll be a challenge. At first I thought he was a cakewalk when playing a dragon, but then I got to phase 2.

I will buy all the dlc for this all the dlc

Something that added a whole bunch of new enemies, items, and maybe a new boss and a new class would be great. The biggest flaw this game has is it's lack of variety. Each run doesn't feel all that different from the last apart from the variations from what class I chose.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Just beat the fourth boss, he was surprisingly easy after struggling with the third and second bosses. It helped that I had a Barb Queen with PAD so that I could ignore all of the spike traps on the floor.

Now the final boss looks like he'll be a challenge. At first I thought he was a cakewalk when playing a dragon, but then I got to phase 2.

Something that added a whole bunch of new enemies, items, and maybe a new boss and a new class would be great. The biggest flaw this game has is it's lack of variety. Each run doesn't feel all that different from the last apart from the variations from what class I chose.

A new castle would be gangbusters. Yeah it all seemed big at first but there isnt a ton of variety in environments and enemies. It has plenty of upgrades though. Like the upgrade tree.

elfinke

Reading all the pictures about the developers made games makes me like them more.

Same. It's a great touch.

This game is a real joy. I polished off TLoU on Friday and have been playing some multiplayer of it since (I've got a bit of a review in the works for it, for one of its threads later), but man, since then I've poured some serious hours into this, just moseying around the place - I've got the entire manor open and a stack of character abilities levelled up solidly, but have only defeated the castle and forest bosses. Been very lazy, clearing the castle - forest - tower circle and then dying with a bunch of gold but no actual progression to show for it. Ah well.

I played it with sounds for the first time today - god the music is fantastic! Particularly the tower, which reminds me a lot of the Diablo 1 OST at its very best. It's just terrific.

This will make many GOTY lists for sure. Best $10 I've spent in a long while.

Copenap

Go for Blood Runes. All the HP Drain, none of the drawbacks or weight!
Actually I prefer the gear. The runes for improved movement, double jump etc. are just more important and the return from blood runes is to small (1hp/mp vs. 4hp from one gear).

Edit: The enemies scale with my level, right? How is my level determined? Does it just automatically increase by upgrading stuff?

goblin

Dragons

I found it really useful for clearing the fourth area, below. The special attack that replaces your sword is considered Magic, and after a bit of gear swapping to replace Strength with Intelligence and change out Vault/Dash runes with Haste for maneuverability I felt that it held up well. Also made the boss of that area a non-issue. I was pumping Intelligence a bit already, though, so your mileage may vary.

Nymerio

Finally beat the end boss, got lucky and he didn't use the knife wall that much. I'm pretty hopeless in dodging this, especially because sometimes there doesn't seem to be any space available to manoeuvre.

New Game+ here I come!

xanavi

I ran into a bug where my hero wasn't taking any damage from spiked walls or floors. That was nice, too bad she suffered from gigantism.

Kard8p3

Is this happening to anyone else? It's kind of pissing me off..

The problem is that whenever I jump sometimes, it acts as thought it's my double jump, so I do a weak ass little hop and fall back to the ground. This has caused me to die, several times. Is this a trait?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hmm, people skipping those sub boss rooms should give them a crack more often. Defeating them give you blueprints.

Top Bottom