• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue Legacy |OT| My Great, Great, Great Uncle Who?

Wunder

I hate these paintings :(

Try standing in one place if you can. I think they just rotate around you so if you quickly move and strike them when they are near you you should be able to get them. Problem arises when you hit a Doomvas in a crowded room and start jumping around like crazy. Makes them a bit unpredictable at that stage.

DagsJT

So the only way to not give Chabon all of your gold is to find something or unlock a skill? I don't want to give him 130 coins!

Mugaaz

So the only way to not give Chabon all of your gold is to find something or unlock a skill? I don't want to give him 130 coins!

Deal with it, seriously. The game is designed this way. The skill sucks ass anyway. The item is rare as hell. I've seen it once in 6 hours. I regularly give him 1000+ gold, it is what it is.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Yep, you need to give up all of your gold on entry until you get a skill that's pretty deep on the tree, and even then you keep a small portion until it's upgraded at a very high cost.

Early on I focused more on gold efficiency and not wasting money than actually planning an upgrade path. It seemed more important to not lose the money than to get a specific upgrade, but sometimes you've just got to eat the loss. It won't be too long before 130 is a useless amount anyway and not worth worrying about.

edit: Also, yes. Dwarfism seems like it's the best skill. It was even better in the demo (you also didn't set off floor spikes) but even in the full release having a smaller hitbox and fitting through the small passageways is valuable. The good memory trait also can be helpful as it
shows and tracks the location of any enemy in a room

jesus this game is sooooooooooooooooo goood.

is there a talent at some point to extend the length of time of the downward stab? i can't get the timing on it right.

Mugaaz

Yep, you need to give up all of your gold on entry until you get a skill that's pretty deep on the tree, and even then you keep a small portion until it's upgraded at a very high cost.

Early on I focused more on gold efficiency and not wasting money than actually planning an upgrade path. It seemed more important to not lose the money than to get a specific upgrade, but sometimes you've just got to eat the loss. It won't be too long before 130 is a useless amount anyway and not worth worrying about.

HP + Damage skill (Either Str or Int) + enough weight to use best gear trumps everything in terms of power (well runes and gear are the best, but thats obvious isn't it).

You will make more gold faster getting your HP and damage to the point you can one shot things and then you get some sustain modded items or runes, and +gold/speed stuff and go to town clearing castle/forest over and over for 4-7k+

Mugaaz

jesus this game is sooooooooooooooooo goood.

is there a talent at some point to extend the length of time of the downward stab? i can't get the timing on it right.

There is a skill for the downward stab, but for the life of me I can't figure out what the skill does. Honestly though, extra jumps + speed makes most of the jumping stuff trivial.

Mugaaz

Those rooms with tons of spikes and "don't get hit" fairy chests are basically impossible without flying. Its easy until you get towards the end then it becomes lol impossible.

garath

Those rooms with tons of spikes and "don't get hit" fairy chests are basically impossible without flying. Its easy until you get towards the end then it becomes lol impossible.

Not impossible. Just difficult. Triple jump and double dash help.

Nymerio

Try standing in one place if you can. I think they just rotate around you so if you quickly move and strike them when they are near you you should be able to get them. Problem arises when you hit a Doomvas in a crowded room and start jumping around like crazy. Makes them a bit unpredictable at that stage.

Yep, spikey rooms are also a pain in the ass.

Does anyone have any tips for Alexander? He spawns too many mobs :/

Gav47

I don't like the turning delay after you swing your sword, it makes the flying paintings a pain in the ass if you miss your second swing.

Mugaaz

I don't like the turning delay after you swing your sword, it makes the flying paintings a pain in the ass if you miss your second swing.

Memorize how to do this on purpose, you need to "sword walk" like this to move backwards without changing direction to get some fairy chests

SethMode

Neo Member

I tried to do one a couple of times where you jump from right to left and plummet down a "hole" that is covered in spikes, gradually going left and I don't see how it's possible with my current stuff (double jump and dash). The combination of how fast I'm falling and how little room for error there is....gr.

I love it though. Decided to boot it up last night at 10 before bed to "see how it is" (I preordered based on the QL and briefly playing the demo)...didn't go to bed until 3. Really tired at work today.

I have the bloody cape. Says it gives +1 vampirism. I presumed that meant I got lifesteal of such on my attacks. Doesn't seem to be that. What is it? It removes some HP.
Oh wait. Nevermind, i didn't have it even equipped because of the weight limit. Presumed I had because of the red cape!

BigAT

I have the bloody cape. Says it gives +1 vampirism. I presumed that meant I got lifesteal of such on my attacks. Doesn't seem to be that. What is it? It removes some HP.
Oh wait. Nevermind, i didn't have it even equipped because of the weight limit. Presumed I had because of the red cape!

It's +2 HP/kill.

HURGHT

The ones where you're climbing up can be a hassle, but for the ones that are more like a downward funnel,
if you're playing as a Paladin, start a jump into the pit, and in mid-air, use the your Down+Y skill to turn into a living statue. Your momentum should carry you against the far wall, letting you slide harmlessly to the bottom of the pit and be able to open the fairy chest

The stronger the character I have, the looser I play, so I end up dying at around the same playing time regardless of level. It's some unconscious quirk that creeps up in roguelikes.

Wunder

The stronger the character I have, the looser I play, so I end up dying at around the same playing time regardless of level. It's some unconscious quirk that creeps up in roguelikes.

Haha same here. I'm at the point where I pick Barb almost regardless of the trait and just walk around one-shotting stuff in the castle with my 300+ hp. Still die to random stuff :p

Oh wow, Rogue Legacy is number 1 on the sales charts on Steam. Congrats, Cellar Door Games!

Yay! Proudly run, my knight!

iHqnHdfzh2lvq.gif

I've come across some pictures of previous games by Cellar Door Games in the castle and it looks like they're really in a tough spot (from what I was able to read anyway) so I'm kinda glad that Rogue Legacy is doing very well on Steam right now : it's been in the top sellers since yesterday. I hope things get better for them from now on.

I've come across some pictures of previous games by Cellar Door Games in the castle and it looks like they're really in a tough spot (from what I was able to read anyway) so I'm kinda glad that Rogue Legacy is doing very well on Steam right now : it's been in the top sellers since yesterday. I hope things get better for them from now on.

Did you come across the Villainous painting? I found that in the forest. Interesting read.

I'm finding it hard to decide whether I should pay for high price upgrades first or low price upgrades. I have been trying to pay for high price ones first, since I can get 3k+ plus on a run alone. Now all the low tier items are a thousand minimum. Some high upgrades will just keep creeping up. I really want that Randomize children one.

Tip: if you can avoid it, don't beat the first boss until you've upgraded for awhile: the enemies and difficulty scales way up afterward.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Are you guys locking the tower every time? I'm not and generally just wandering around looking for things. I've found the bosses a few times but never with consistency. Haven't beat one yet unfortunately. Only made it to other areas for a brief moment Lol.

Locking the castle doesn't seem to be too good of an idea unless there's something really specific you want to keep in the same place. Since locking the castle keeps all the treasure opened, you'll really be screwing yourself on gold.

Rootbeer

Banned
wish i'd pre-ordered but i didn't know this game existed until i saw it on steam today.

considering dropping $15... or just waiting for summer sale -__-

Amir0x

Banned
Man this game is really pretty good. I'm playing super recklessly though for some reason which I never do in Roguelike games, even "lite" Roguelike games. I wonder what makes me play so bizarrely free of care in this game. I sort of like that it gets me like that, although I think by the time I finish I'll be on my 10,000th generation at the rate I'm going lol

Really well done package so far. Good music too, which is always a nice win in games like this

ScOULaris

Man this game is really pretty good. I'm playing super recklessly though for some reason which I never do in Roguelike games, even "lite" Roguelike games. I wonder what makes me play so bizarrely free of care in this game. I sort of like that it gets me like that, although I think by the time I finish I'll be on my 10,000th generation at the rate I'm going lol

Really well done package so far. Good music too, which is always a nice win in games like this

I think you feel carefree because, as long as you at least garner some decent gold on any given run, you're making progress that will carry on to future playthroughs. Even though this game has permadeath, dying is pretty inconsequential. You can just start anew almost immediately after dying without missing a beat.

TheExodu5

Banned
Level 50...I now have 3 vampiric pieces and 2 vampiric runes. Shinobi and Lich are my favorite classes. Shinobi just deals so much damage, and Lich snowballs into a really good tank if you have vampiric.

Top Bottom